Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one.  Owned it a year. Sold it a few weeks ago.

It was not bad. Worked well.  I like the caliber.  But in a compitition between it and my SKS.  I like my SKS better.
So I sold the AK and kept the SKS.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Three AK's here...

Chinese AK47S Underfolder----------SAW Grip and Bulgarian Handguards

PolyTech MAK90 ------------------------In process of being updated

Galil 7.62 AR------------------------------No mod's

I loves'em all...!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I love both me AR and AK
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#4]
An AK does what it's supposed to.  An effective round, completely reliable, feels good to shoot, simple to use & maintain. What's not to like about that?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
But they are MADE for peasants...

mccord.ourmemorybox.com/images/peasants.gif

trogdar!!!!!!

w00t !!!
Man, I'm gettin old
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea me too.

I just enjoy  them, as they are cheap to build.

FREE

Quoted:
I like my ARs much more but AKs have been growing on me lately.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I really like my vepr it is pretty accurate and talk about easy to clean.

What is this "clean" you speak of?

And thus we find the "true" difference between the AR and AK.

Sherrick nailed it there. The AR is definitely high maintenance compared to an AK. That's one of the main reasons I want a SCAR !!! If they can make those things shoot MOA I predict a major shift on the part of AR owners. This is assuming they'll sell them to us!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I am in love with them both for completely different reasons.

I can never decide wich one I truly love more......I guess its the same with all my guns, wichever one I happen to be shooting always puts me in a good mood and tends to satisfy me untill the next one gets taken out.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a SAR-1 but traded it in on my Bushy (Love te Bushy but miss my AK fix)

Going out tomorrow to buy a WASR
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have no interest in AK's.  

+1

Not seeing the attraction.

A cheaply made, innaccurate gun for the peasantry (no offense, peasant)

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
peasant > stick > nest > hornets. This is the third AK I've owned and I have to say that "I just don't care for the things." There, I said it and I feel better now. The AR on the other hand really gets me going. I can't wait to get back to the range and shoot my A2 at 250 yards. The target is already in the back of my truck! The AK is just a blaster though. I mean, how do you people do it? This is not meant to say that one is "better" than the other. The AR is just more of a rifleman's rifle. Just checking to see if anybody AGREES with me.

Let me take it off your hands. I'll even pick it up if the price is right.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Fired a couple. Last one had a wicked trigger slap.

Couldn't figure out the attraction.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have no interest in AK's.  

+1

Not seeing the attraction.

A cheaply made, innaccurate gun for the peasantry (no offense, peasant)

Once you get used to using the sites, they're not so innacurate.......under a hundred yards.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I understand why some feel that way. I started with ARs and then got into AKs. They both have their place, their pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses.

I carried an AK today for a couple of hours while hiking in the forest about my home.  It saved my life while doing so once before. I am a huge fan. Of ARs, AKs and FALs. If I could afford an MP5 I'd be of fan of those also!

To each their own however. I am sure you can sell them.

Please continue???

There are a lot of bears up here.
Also wolves, yotes, bobcat, and a few mountain lions though I have never actually seen one of those.

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/drjarhead/bearskull21.jpg

- Well, being in nature unarmed is a foolish act.  

It most definitely is.
You ought to see some of the city retards who wander around in the forest up here. I ran into a family last year, out in the forest on a trail no less, where the mommy got bent out of shape because my dog wasn't on a leash!
And then she had her 4 year old strung out trailing 75 yards back all alone. Probably the best thing for them that day was that my dog and I were out there.  The odds of an attack are small but very real up here and I have tried telling people that for years. I realized how serious it really was when a wolf trotted right up to me in the forest one day and just stared me down. Not shit. Yellow fucking eyes. Just stared at me. 10 ft.

Anyhow, here is the bear story, enjoy:

Now I have had plenty of close encounters with predators up here, especially Black Bear. Today, I get out on remote walking trail and my dog runs down a hill to a creek to get some water. At least that's what I think. All of a sudden it is very quiet and then some ruckus( more than one animal). I can't see anything but then I hear a lot of scraping. I look at the direction it is coming from and there are 2 bear cubs climbing a tree. About a second later all Hell breaks loose. And the racket is moving up hill towards me, fast. Aw shit, I am thinking as I clack the selector and bring my rifle up. They are both now visible coming up the hill right at the trail about 15m ahead of me. The Sow is about 6ft behind my dog who hits the trail and turns right for me. By now the Sow has turned and is coming right at me, only a foot or two behind my dog and swiping at her as she runs, snarling and snapping. Fucking thing is really pissed. Dog is right in front and is about 1/3 the height of the bear. 10m. Dog is a little on the left side of the bear and my first shot is just over her and into the right low chest. The sow drops about an inch and is recovering her stride as I am squeezing for the second shot and my dog crosses in front turning right to get around a bush. Bang! Second shot left upper chest as the bear is turning, with the angle of shot right at the vitals. Now turning more, she is almost turned in the front half and my 3rd shot is right behind the shoulder, again into the vitals. First 3 shots in under 1 second. Sow rolls onto her back, thrashes and then rolls forward onto her haunches, extends her neck out and takes one last roar. Bang, bang. Double tap to the neck. One in the vessels, second up into the C-spine.

If I had been unarmed I'd be digesting right now, no question at all in my mind. That bear was pissed and wasn't stopping for shit. I don't think even a handgun would have been sufficient at all. At the least my dog would be dead and I'd have been badly wounded.

Training paid off big time though. No panic, no hesitation, stayed cool. When it was obvious it was kill or be killed I did the job in fine fashion. Pissed at my dog though. The Sow only did what she had to from her perspective and I felt sick to my stomach with each squeeze of the trigger. Damn shame to kill something for nothing.

But we both survived

Obviously I had very mixed emotions about the whole thing. Envigorating to survive but very sad ending. I always suspected one day it would happen and had told my wife that. Due to that expectation however, I had played it out in my mind enough that I knew what I would do. Muscle memory type thing. Knew that the only reason I would ever need to shoot was if it was coming straight at me at close range and planned accordingly.

I couldn't believe how fast that bear ws though. Holy shit. Just incredible. From the time I first saw the bear until the last shot in the neck was maybe 4 seconds. It is amazing how much shit can go thru your head in that timespan when the adrenalin kicks in.

It was quite a day actually and after I left the area and drove away a Bald Eagle swooped down in front of my SUV just gliding out over my hood, riding the air wave, for about 200 yds. It kept looking back at me, just a few feet away. I got a sense that it knew what went down just minutes before. Cool as hell. Wow.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have no interest in AK's.  I understand their capabilities, I've fired them on numerous occasions - and they do nothing for me.

I tend to agree.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I understand why some feel that way. I started with ARs and then got into AKs. They both have their place, their pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses.

I carried an AK today for a couple of hours while hiking in the forest about my home.  It saved my life while doing so once before. I am a huge fan. Of ARs, AKs and FALs. If I could afford an MP5 I'd be of fan of those also!

To each their own however. I am sure you can sell them.

Please continue???

There are a lot of bears up here.
Also wolves, yotes, bobcat, and a few mountain lions though I have never actually seen one of those.

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/drjarhead/bearskull21.jpg

- Well, being in nature unarmed is a foolish act.  

It most definitely is.
You ought to see some of the city retards who wander around in the forest up here. I ran into a family last year, out in the forest on a trail no less, where the mommy got bent out of shape because my dog wasn't on a leash!
And then she had her 4 year old strung out trailing 75 yards back all alone. Probably the best thing for them that day was that my dog and I were out there.  The odds of an attack are small but very real up here and I have tried telling people that for years. I realized how serious it really was when a wolf trotted right up to me in the forest one day and just stared me down. Not shit. Yellow fucking eyes. Just stared at me. 10 ft.

Anyhow, here is the bear story, enjoy:

Now I have had plenty of close encounters with predators up here, especially Black Bear. Today, I get out on remote walking trail and my dog runs down a hill to a creek to get some water. At least that's what I think. All of a sudden it is very quiet and then some ruckus( more than one animal). I can't see anything but then I hear a lot of scraping. I look at the direction it is coming from and there are 2 bear cubs climbing a tree. About a second later all Hell breaks loose. And the racket is moving up hill towards me, fast. Aw shit, I am thinking as I clack the selector and bring my rifle up. They are both now visible coming up the hill right at the trail about 15m ahead of me. The Sow is about 6ft behind my dog who hits the trail and turns right for me. By now the Sow has turned and is coming right at me, only a foot or two behind my dog and swiping at her as she runs, snarling and snapping. Fucking thing is really pissed. Dog is right in front and is about 1/3 the height of the bear. 10m. Dog is a little on the left side of the bear and my first shot is just over her and into the right low chest. The sow drops about an inch and is recovering her stride as I am squeezing for the second shot and my dog crosses in front turning right to get around a bush. Bang! Second shot left upper chest as the bear is turning, with the angle of shot right at the vitals. Now turning more, she is almost turned in the front half and my 3rd shot is right behind the shoulder, again into the vitals. First 3 shots in under 1 second. Sow rolls onto her back, thrashes and then rolls forward onto her haunches, extends her neck out and takes one last roar. Bang, bang. Double tap to the neck. One in the vessels, second up into the C-spine.

If I had been unarmed I'd be digesting right now, no question at all in my mind. That bear was pissed and wasn't stopping for shit. I don't think even a handgun would have been sufficient at all. At the least my dog would be dead and I'd have been badly wounded.

Training paid off big time though. No panic, no hesitation, stayed cool. When it was obvious it was kill or be killed I did the job in fine fashion. Pissed at my dog though. The Sow only did what she had to from her perspective and I felt sick to my stomach with each squeeze of the trigger. Damn shame to kill something for nothing.

But we both survived

Obviously I had very mixed emotions about the whole thing. Envigorating to survive but very sad ending. I always suspected one day it would happen and had told my wife that. Due to that expectation however, I had played it out in my mind enough that I knew what I would do. Muscle memory type thing. Knew that the only reason I would ever need to shoot was if it was coming straight at me at close range and planned accordingly.

I couldn't believe how fast that bear ws though. Holy shit. Just incredible. From the time I first saw the bear until the last shot in the neck was maybe 4 seconds. It is amazing how much shit can go thru your head in that timespan when the adrenalin kicks in.

It was quite a day actually and after I left the area and drove away a Bald Eagle swooped down in front of my SUV just gliding out over my hood, riding the air wave, for about 200 yds. It kept looking back at me, just a few feet away. I got a sense that it knew what went down just minutes before. Cool as hell. Wow.

Cool story.

I'm surprised your dogs didn't freak out from the sound of your AK.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Cool story.

I'm surprised your dogs didn't freak out from the sound of your AK.

My dog is a hunter. She absolutely loves guns. And fireworks. 4th of July is her favorite day of the year. Really something to behold. We live on a lake and everyone shoots off some pretty decent stuff. She just loves it.  She whines at the door every night for the rest of the summer.

When the bear dropped she went right for it. I yelled her off and bitched her out. Don't want a repeat.  Damn little mutt just ain't afraid of anything. She has grown up here in the forest and I run her all the time. Almost everyday we get out for at least an hour.
She was runing full tilt and the bear had caught up...almost...but I don't really remember her looking scared. I suspect she has done it before back in the forest when not nearby. Actually, I know she has at least once before. I've seen her turn a coyote twice her size, it was coming after her(maybe thought she was a snowshoe hare-she is mostly white), and chase it a couple of hundred yards. She ran an 6-8month wolf pup off also. That was scary.
Part of the problem is that the past 5 years or so have seen significant increases in predator populations across the board. Every year I walk up on more bear. I try to remember to make a little noise every once in a while but it is easy to slip back into silent hunting/Marine mode.  I have walked right up on all sorts of animals as a result.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yea me too.

I just enjoy  them, as they are cheap to build.

FREE

pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/1194623/135641817.jpg
pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/1194623/138087573.jpg
pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/8250177/126401891.jpg

Quoted:
I like my ARs much more but AKs have been growing on me lately.

w00t for harbor freight shop presses!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I didn't care much for them till I got one.

I learned that it is the best quick-point-and-shoot gun I have.

It is just uncanny how well it hits when doing snap-shots.

The fact that it is powerful enough and very reliable is just icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#20]
The great debate - the AR vs. the AK...  

It's my opinion/experience that both rifles have their pros/cons.  I'd have to give accuracy and lighter weight to the AR, but cost and reliability to the AK...  I've seen people literally able to pour dirt INTO their AKs, pick them up, chamber a round, and proceed to empty a 30 round magazine without a hitch.  I am not into ARs very much, but I doubt you'll find one that can do that...  At least I couldn't do that with my M16 when I was in the Marines. (I know - why would you pour dirt into your rifle?  It's just an example. he  With all the money you save, you can hit up TAPCO and customize however you like.  But don't expect a $300 AK to be very accurate much past 250-300 yards or so.  
But I do love and respect both weapons.  If I had more $$$ I'd have an AR in my safe.  
Just my .02.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#21]
The SKSD ( takes ak mags) Is the only 7.62x39 shooter I still own. It more accurate than the AKs I  have owned, and better built. On the other hand my HKclone G3 is sweeter than any of my ARs..... so funny, but I have a total respect for the pesant rifle AK-47.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Building it myself made it far more interesting.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I prefer the SKS
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Had 3:

PolyTech Legend
Norinco NHM-91
Norinco Mak-90

Sold them all to get into more AR's (up to 10 now).

I got lots of cheap and some free .223 and no free 7.62, that's what did it for me.

Now I want another, just undecided on what to get and waiting for the cheap ammo to come pouring in again. This one will be underfolder.

Danny

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I owned a SAR and shot it very little. As a close range gun it's pretty good. A lot of firepower. My SAR now belongs to another forum member in SC. I like the AR better because I can interchange uppers and use different calibers with the same lower. Also, it's more accurate and I don't have any issues getting ammo.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top