Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Edited to add, agnostic means you weren't sure.  You just made up your mind.

Incorrect.  The true agnostic believes that he is not capable of truly knowing if there is or is not a deity.  Anybody who "isn't sure" is "not sure yet," no matter what religion they are.

Yes, incapable of knowing, thus not sure.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
God has His laws, and He will not break them for anyone. But He made the ultimate sacrifice.

Some fornicators 'round here would do well to remember that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was baptized but I dont  pray /go to church  what does that make me?

ETA: This thread needs a poll.

I'm sorry, I can't do polls.

Wel then do you mind If I start another thread so we can POLL your question?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow. Three pages in about what....... 10 minutes?

This is going to be good! I've got to be able to find some popcorn in this hotel somewhere.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
**On a personal level, that's good enough for you?**

On a spiritial level, really.

My job is to deliver the messege ... and if they refuse, I don't get all negitive about it. However it does grieve me a bit.

My personal feelings are that of a love and compassion towards people, regardless.

God has His laws, and He will not break them for anyone. But He made the ultimate sacrifice.

I refuse your message.  Grieve all you want but how many MILLIONS also refuse the "message?"  Are they ALL going to hell?

I need logic.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incorrect.  The true agnostic believes that he is not capable of truly knowing if there is or is not a deity.  Anybody who "isn't sure" is "not sure yet," no matter what religion they are.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]
More than just "not sure," because you are sure of one thing: that you cannot know because you are a human, not supernatural.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

More than just "not sure," because you are sure of one thing: that you cannot know because you are a human, not supernatural.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was baptized but I dont  pray /go to church  what does that make me?

ETA: This thread needs a poll.

I'm sorry, I can't do polls.

Wel then do you mind If I start another thread so we can POLL your question?

Feel free bro.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 lso atheism, agnosticism and skeptacism are not religions, they are the lack of religion.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#12]
No, atheism is just as much of a religion. You cannot prove one way or the other, so to totally reject a deity requires as much faith as to embrace one.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bear in mind, I don't deny that religion works for many people, I'm just not one of them.  That being said, I cannot believe in anything with no empirical evidence.  Anything that cannot be proven, or falsified, is not true according to Kant or some other philosopher, I can't remember who.  According to me, if something cannot be proven, and indeed an experiment to proove/disproove it cannot be created, then the said theory is a null point, and is indeed untrue.  Thus, to me, god and religion are creations of man to fill a basic psychological need.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No, atheism is just as much of a religion. You cannot prove one way or the other, so to totally reject a deity requires as much faith as to embrace one.

whoops sorry, wrong

You have to have faith that something i there, you don not have to have faith to think that there is not.  Why don't you look up the word religion in the dictionary?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Obviously I am, but I'm wondering what the majority of people here are.  I always get shit from people when I say that I am an "a-theist", so I'm curious how many others there are.  If you aren't comfortable talking about this, feel free to maintain your peace and silence.  As always, thanks for reading.

Posting a poll would allow people to respond anonymously. Might get you more responses from people who don't want to put up with the b.s.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Obviously I am, but I'm wondering what the majority of people here are.  I always get shit from people when I say that I am an "a-theist", so I'm curious how many others there are.  If you aren't comfortable talking about this, feel free to maintain your peace and silence.  As always, thanks for reading.

Posting a poll would allow people to respond anonymously. Might get you more responses from people who don't want to put up with the b.s.

Done. POLL.... <-- POLL

ETA: WTF? Who screwed with the link?

WTF.. POLL....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sure.  There's a bunch of atheists here.

They're wrong.

But fine folks, nonetheless.

...and they're burning in HELLFIRE!!!

Kidding.

...or am I???
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sure.  There's a bunch of atheists here.

They're wrong.

But fine folks, nonetheless.

...and they're burning in HELLFIRE!!!

Kidding.

...or am I???

Wow, what have I started

Or should I not use the devil, as I don't believe in the existence of hell?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It has been said that if atheists were REALLY intellectually honest/honest with themselves, they'd all admit they were agnostic.
Atheism is making the claim that there is no god/God.  For that statement to be accurate, the person would have to have knowledge every nook and cranny of every universe.
Such knowledge is a prerequisite to being God.
Atheists deny themselves.

But it is silly and a weak position to hold if you have concluded to a satisfactory probablity that there is no god.  

All our cognition is based on assumption and prior learning.  To not base the next decision off of the prior hampers progress.  For example, when I parked my truck, my tires were properly inflated.  They have never lost air before, and there has been no debris or road conditions that could have damaged them.  Therefore, I'm going to tell you that my tires will be ready to go in the morning.  In fact, I will rely on it.  Do you expect me to give a list of endless slight possibilities of things that could indeed cause me to be a fool for thinking they will be fine in the morning.  Very unlikely but perhaps:

- a vandal slashed them
- a tree fell on the truck and caused them to burst

Even less likely but perhaps:

- rubber termites got to them
- the inside out fairy visited
- aluminum all of a sudden turned to silly puddy and the wheels collaped
- a universal vaccum formed except for my 4 tires, and they burst because of relative overpressure

All those reasons...  Wow... I guess I really should get up early to make sure that none of these tire damaging things happened and I can keep my morning appointments.  

ARRRGH!!  What about the fuel in the fuel tank!  Or what makes me think that gravity will still be keeping the gravel in the driveway....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Agnostic, I believe that it could go either way.  Microwave technology was not known in the 1700's because we didn't have the knowledge/tehcnology to probe it yet.  Could same with proving/disproving life after death (And in there God or whatever).

I firmly believe that neither an athiest, nor a radical whatever KNOWS there is or isn't a god.  They may claim that they KNOW it...........in their heart.  But it's not true, you don't really know until you die.  (Which kinda is odd don't ya think if there were spirits?  Where's the pics?).

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#21]

**Do you have ANY idea why people reject the message?**

Good question.

I think the reasons why a lot of people reject the Gospel are as numerous as people themselves.

Some (as you may have read from this thread) are angry at God for some reason.

For others it may be they feel that their sin is so deep, that God may not forgive them.

Some are involved in a particular way of life, that the messege of the Gospel stings them so much, they refuse to listen.

I do see a lot of pride. A lot of people believe they can enter God's Kingdom on their own merits, not believing that the way to God is through Jesus Christ only.

Still yet, some people believe lies, and seek to hear what makes their "ears tickle" ... instead of the everlasting Gospel.

The fact is God can and will forgive all sins.

This is sumed up by the scripture of 1st John 1: 9 ... If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Thanks for your post!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Ein ...

You need Christ, like everyone else.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Good question.

I think the reasons why a lot of people reject the Gospel are as numerous as people themselves.

For others it may be they feel that their sin is so deep, that God may not forgive them.

Some are involved in a particular way of life, that the messege of the Gospel stings them so much, they refuse to listen.

I do see a lot of pride. A lot of people believe they can enter God's Kingdom on their own merits, not believing that the way to God is through Jesus Christ only.

Still yet, some people believe lies, and seek to here what makes their "ears tickle" ... instead of the everlasting Gospel.

This is sumed up by the scripture of 1st John 1: 9 ... If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Thanks for your post!

What kind of OMNIPOTENT deity would make the only way to heaven through Jesus Christ, but send all the other GOOD people to hell JUST because they didn't believe in Jesus Christ?  An OMNIPOTENT being would think of a better way..........I'm just a human and I can think of a better way.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow, it took exactly one hour to get my original thread off the first page.  I guess I opened a can of worms.  Thanks for all the enlightening replies.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good question.

Still yet, some people believe lies, and seek to here what makes their "ears tickle" ... instead of the everlasting Gospel.

Thanks for your post!

What kind of OMNIPOTENT deity would make the only way to heaven through Jesus Christ, but send all the other GOOD people to hell JUST because they didn't believe in Jesus Christ?  An OMNIPOTENT being would think of a better way..........I'm just a human and I can think of a better way.

Well, let's take a look at GOOD people. Are there any? Is there one who never sinned?

Just because?

The scripture teaches us that you "believe in God" ... thats good, that even demons believe, and they shudder.

God is talking about a relationship, not just a simple belief.

**An OMNIPOTENT being would think of a better way..........**

Can you think of a better way to demonstrate a love for someone? To make the ultimate sacrifice for you and me? To send His own son to be torchered and cursed on a cross?

But praise God, he did, as He rose Christ from the dead, three days later.

Thanks for your post!

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Wow, it took exactly one hour to get my original thread off the first page.  I guess I opened a can of worms.  Thanks for all the enlightening replies.

I think you did fine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any one here an atheist? Obviously I am,

Apparently you have never been in a foxhole under fire. You would quickly change your mind.

I have and I didn't hear anyone praying to any god. Perhaps they were silently praying but firing, reloading and menouvering is pretty much a full time job.

Were you in a foxhole under fire? What did you pray for? The good fortune to kill the other guy? That the other guy would kill you so you could get to heaven faster?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Science

That's what I believe in!

So do I.  Now prove with science GOD does not exist

What would you accept as proof?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Ein ...

You need Christ, like everyone else. hr

You THINK I do, and I respect your opinion but disagree with it as well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any one here an atheist? Obviously I am,

Apparently you have never been in a foxhole under fire. You would quickly change your mind.

So it is you suppoition that no atheists have been in combat? BS

I was an atheist in a foxhole
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#31]
How can he love somebody centuries later?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Science

Logical fallacy.  The requirement of evidence is on the side making the claim.  It is near impossible to prove a universal negative.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Not so much a hard-core atheist, as just having more pressing issues to concern myself with.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Science

That's what I believe in!hr

Logical fallacy.  The requirement of evidence is on the side making the claim.  It is near impossible to prove a universal negative.

And closer to impossible to prove a universal affirmative on religion.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Ein my friend, a day and a thousand years are the same to God. Jesus Christ ... yesterday, today and forever.

Talk to Him, Ein. Get alone, and talk to Him. Ask Him all the questions you want. God loves for us to ask questions.

He's not hard to find.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#36]
agnostic
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ein my friend, a day and a thousand years are the same to God. Jesus Christ ... yesterday, today and forever.

Talk to Him, Ein. Get alone, and talk to Him. Ask Him all the questions you want. God loves for us to ask questions.

He's not hard to find.

If he answers you, get it on tape. If you can get him on tape, I smell big bucks! We'll write a new section of the bible, sell a gazillion copies.

Hasn't been a new section of the bible for a long time. Like waiting for The Black Tower. Lots of pent up demand.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Atheist

Forget science, study a little history and you will learn what religion has done for humanity.

Here in the bible belt most christians I know lie, cheat and steal and they think it's ok as long as they profess to be christian and go to church on Sunday.

I have lived in the country with the world's largest Muslim population (Indonesia), and the people there are just as bad.

I firmly believe that apes evolved from creationists.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's not hard to find.

I hear he likes to hang out
in shrubberies and/or hats...
so I'd start there.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#40]
God doesn't believe in me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Talk to Him, Ein. Get alone, and talk to Him. Ask Him all the questions you want. God loves for us to ask questions. He

Most imaginary creations are not.  I bet Lucas can find Yoda REAL quickly.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#42]

My god is an indian that turns
into a wolf.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't believe there is enough proof to support atheism.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Catholic girls start much too late....

Only the good die young.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I don't believe there is enough proof to support atheism.

Sgtar15

HAHAHA

But anyway, to those saying that athiesm is a religion.

Lets break teh word down into its original latin meanings.

a - without, lacking

theism - Belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in a personal God as creator and ruler of the world.

so its without the belief in a god. Meaning it is NOT a religion.

Edit: I am an atheist
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I was agnostic until I realized I was wrong.  I now have faith.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Apathetic Agnostic, don't know don't care

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Science

I read through this entire thread looking for this answer.  Currahee gets it 100% right.  Throughout human history, NOBODY has proven the existence of god; until somebody does, god does not exist.  Period.  My advice is to integrate that fact into your consciousness and live knowing that there is no god and no afterlife.  Once you come to grips with your own mortality, you'll live your one and only mortal life to the fullest.

Oh, and for the record, I was raised a devout Christian and remained one until my late twenties.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#49]
btt
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Agnostic.

Hoppy8420
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top