Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Regarding some people posting about flatulence, I don't know what that has to do with vegetarianism per se.  Certain foods produce gas.  If you avoid them, you will not have gas.  Notably, beans!
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you asked so nicely...

"For health reasons" means firstly, to reduce blood cholesterol.  Unlike me, she is unable to fully metabolise cholesterol, and purge it from her system.  She is also unable to take much in the way of garlic (which has enzymes to dissolve cholseterol and plaque deposits in arteries) and must therefore reduce intake accordingly.  I did not say she was becoming a VEGAN, merely generally vegetarian.  I seriously doubt that after 45 years of eating real food, she will ever fully discount chicken and tuna from her diet (staple meats) and she has expressed a growing interest in seafood in general.  Good news for me - I LOVE seafood!  Now, if I can only get her to try sushi and sashimi...

Spiritual reasons - there is a common belief that "factory farmed" cattle and other livestock are able to sense what is to happen to them, and there is a "persistence" to an area of the death throes of the ones who have gone before.   This is not a viewpoint that advocates STRICT vegetarianism, but merely the need to stay away from factory farmed livestock - "free range" is preferred, and you can hunt it up yourself if you are good enough.

The advantage to hunting (for good hunters) is that your prey is dead and on the ground before it has a chance to realise its fate.  If you have ever had to eat something you had to track from blood spoor, you know what I'm talking about.  A failure to instantly kill your prey results in adrenaline and hormones from the stress reaction being dumped into the tissues, which results in the storied "gamey" taste and stringy texture.  You can spot an excellent hunter by cutting venison loins with a fork...

FFZ
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never dated a vegetarian, but my niece, who was a vegetarian, lived with us while going to a local college.  At first, she didn't even want to be in the same room as my wife and I when we ate meat.  After watching how much we enjoyed it, she became curious.  We didn't ask her to eat it.  We did the opposite.  We cooked just enough for ourselves, which seemed to make her more curious.  After a few bites of a good steak on a charcoal grill, she started to come around.  A few days later, I grilled fresh shark for her.  We brought her along gently.  She had been exposed to the wrong types of meat.  My sister's disgusting meatloaf, school lunches, and TV dinners.  She now works as a CPA for a chain of steak houses!z
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Stick with the carnivores CMOS.  You could use the weight! [;)]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One of my close friends is a vegetarian. She feels very strongly about not harming animals, and is a member of PETA.

I used to harass her when she joined PETA, since at that time she still had a lot of leather shoes/jackets/etc.

Now she tries VERY hard not to buy products made out of animal skin. She follows her beliefs very strongly, and I think that's why we get along so well. She is not willing to compromise on meat eating, just as I am not willing to compromise on gun rights.

She is the nicest person you could meet, and never has anything negative to say about anyone.

Av.
View Quote

Have you been talking to my sister in law?
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:02:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for Lousy Hunter.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#9]
She mostly ordered spinach salads and desserts at restaurants.  Sometimes fish but NEVER any meat.  And I would marry her in a second.  It's cool though, I don't eat much meat anyways.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:25:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks again for the input guys.  

Hmm, any input from our AR15 gals?

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:33:43 AM EDT
[#11]
My name is Makarov and I too was once a vegetarian (seriously)

It was a personal thing for me for about 10 years. I NEVER tried to impose my beliefs or reasoning on other people and always listened politely to those that did. I just had issues regarding MY right to take another life when survival was not at stake.

Ironically, it was the extreme beliefs of a man I knew while living in Asia (a "Jaine" who wouldn't "kill" a mosquito on his arm or a fly on his food or take antibiotics because they would "kill" the microscopic animals living inside of him) and hunting (the strong sense of ethics and sportsmanship my father passed on to me in my youth) that resolved the issues for me. I still don't like to eat commercially processed meat but I do hunt and fish and keep the freezer well stocked. Hunting and fishing actually fall in line (as a philosophy) with many "vege" convictions.

The animal lives as God (nature) intended until it died.

Assuming you are skilled and do your job. The animal does not needlessly suffer.

You have an obligation to live a life worthy of the beast (and its creator) that gave you food to live.

As anyone who spends time in the outdoors knows, almost nothing in nature dies of old age.

Ask your new lady friend about her beliefs and you may find they are not that remote from your own.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been w/my GF for over 4 yrs now and she's been a veggie for over 12 yrs.She's a fantastic cook and she doesn't push her views on anyone,not eating meat is her personal choice.BTW-she's a french pastry chef in a local french rest.,she also works as a bartender,she pays for our vacations,she buys me firearms,and she loves cartoons and the 3 Stooges.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#13]
P.E.T.A. People for the eating of tasty animals.

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I use to date a vegetarian brunette with a great body and personality. Dating her was some of the most fun dates I've had. Sadly, at the same time some of the worst meals I've had. I can't win both ways with a vegetarian.  [:(]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Celebrate the flesh !
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
P.E.T.A. People for the eating of tasty animals.

[:D]
View Quote

Thats hilarious!!  Do they make a t-shirt with that on it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#18]
My current and with luck last girl friend has been a vegetarian since she was 14. She also has some very liberal views on life and politics. All of that said I love her to death and will probably spend the rest of my life with her.

We argue and torment each other over certain issues but it works for us. We do have a few specific topics that can bring us to a boiling point. But we agree to disagree and move on.

Hell if I wanted a doormat who agreed with everything I do I wouldnt have gotten divorced.

Ropes
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:15:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I dated numerous vegetarians and was married to one for a while (that wasn't why we split up).  As long as neither of you insists on preaching at the other about dietary habits, it shouldn't be an issue.  FWIW, lots of vegetarian stuff is damn good eating...
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

and meat that tastes really good is loaded with fat.

View Quote

Ahhhh, maybe you need to go shoot a farm country whitetail! Prime venison is very lean and very flavorful.

Oops. Should have finished reading the thread. Looks like this was covered already! Actually Beekeeper, I shot a big 10 pt this year that was at least 3.5 yrs old, maybe more. The buck hung in a constant temp cold room for 4 days before being butchered. Surprisingly tender and tasty. Glad I didn't turn him all into burger. I would say, all things being equal, my early season bow-killed deer have been the most prime venison.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#21]
My wife and I are both vegan.  We don't eat anything that has ANY animal products in it.

We've been vegan for 7 months now.  We don't ever plan on going back.

We both do it mostly for health reasons.  Dairy and meat is just plain bad for you.

It's funny, I am so conservative on every issue out there, except for my diet and my views on conservation and ecology.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Every vegitarian I've ever met has been pure fruit-cake, but then this is the progressive state.

Suggestion: Watch out for the fruits, they just turn on you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Unfortunately what Chaingun just said is 99% accurate.  But keep your eyes open for the exceptions.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Any of y'all date or marry a vegetarian?  
View Quote

Date yes, it's a pain in the a$$ everytime we go out to eat.

Marry one? NO! I don't want to starve to death.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top