Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If I was in the market for a luxury Ute I would rather look at the Toureg...and save a bundle. I'm kind of a four cylinder fan so the Porsches that I like are the 912 and 914...one of these days lol.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't contribute much on the Cayenne. A four door Porsche truck doesn't actually interest me.
I have two friends who have them, (One standard and one S) they both love them and they are amazingly fast. I have a GMC truck that does everything I want a TRUCK to do.

I DO have a 1981 911SC that I bought 11 years ago and I've driven a little over 40,000 miles.
I'm still thrilled with the way it performs. I autocross it and take it to club "Drivers Ed" events. With over 100K on the clock it is absolutely reliable and solid as a rock.

I do my own maintenance and most of my own repairs. Most stuff is no harder than working on older american cars, It is generally simpler than newer cars. I don't adjust the fuel injection mixture (I don't have a CO Meter), and I don't do alignment.

I've owned and worked on a lot of cars. I haven't found much (beside newer 911's) that I like better than mine.

I take a lot of grief from "American" motorheads for this car. I thnk they just don't understand.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Get an X-5 if you need an uber-SUV.

I used to own a 1970 914-6 and was in the process of rebuilding it to a 2.6L with 2.8L titanium pistons and forged rocker arms (lived not too far away from Garretsons, actually borrowed his personal engine stand) before I moved to SoCal, Sold it a few years ago and have just bought a 2000 Boxster S. Guess I'm a sucker for 6 cylinder mid-engined roller skates.

CW
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Cayenne is a great vehicle, in twin turbo form

Porsche makes the finest sports car on the road. The 911 turbo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The costs I quoted are on the higher scale and thats for a 911 turbo that my buddy owns.  You can stick your fingernails into the tire compound and it will leave a mark.  Soft as hell, but gives you a lot of gription!  Those tires are more like $250-350 a pop.   My Z4 tires are $210 each and there is no comparison.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

That was my first choice and it's looking like I'll get one.  I was just curious about an alternative.

Bought my g/f a 4.4i with all the bells and whistles (her neighbor is the BMW dealership manager) and it is seriously nice. If I wasn't into off-roading I would have got one. 2005 models are supposed to have a newer kick-ass engine that is better than the 4.6i version.

CW
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Porsche Fanatic here! I am however unfortunate enough to not own one. There is a 97' Boxter at the local ford dealership for $25000.......man what I would do if I had $25000
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]
My ex wife has a 2001 Boxster.  It has been pretty low maintenence and problem free so far(minus the two bid dents I put in it ).  Oil changes are pricey but there is a local porsche place that does them for 80 bucks.  At the dealership they don't just change the oil, they go through the car doing basic checks so it is not much more than what your Ford dealership charges for their "15,000 mile service".

I don't think it is the best value, 217 hp for almost $50k, and the interior is nothing to phone home about.  My WRX is faster at less than half the cost.  But the thing handles amazingly well, shit your pants well, and the engine sounds great and is SMOOTH.  I actually liked the car a lot, but for that money I would have got a '66 Vette big block.

We test drove the Cayenne.  Damn that thing was fast. 450hp.  Rode very nicely and was pretty comfortable.  They are pretty competent off road vehicles too.  They sure are ugly and you can get a Toureg with the same chassis, less powerful engine and more attractive package for about half as much.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I like BMW.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell, just go buy a new Yukon and get is supercharged via Kenne Bell.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

From the database.......

FAA Registry
N-Number Inquiry Results
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
N911GT is Assigned
Assigned/Registered Aircraft

Aircraft Description
Serial Number    26-0038                          Type Registration    Corporation
Manufacturer Name  MOONEY                    Certificate Issue Date  11/12/2003  
Model  M20L                                             Status  Valid  
Type Aircraft  Fixed Wing Single-Engine      Type Engine  Reciprocating  
Pending Number Change  None                  Dealer  No  
Date Change Authorized  None                  Mode S Code  53115412  
MFR Year  None                                        Fractional Owner  NO  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Registered Owner

Name     MOD WORKS INC  
Street  8250 SKYLANE WAY  
City  PUNTA GORDA  State FLORIDA    Zip Code     33982-2438  
County  CHARLOTTE  
Country  UNITED STATES  
Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer   PORSCHE               Classification Standard  
Engine Model   PFM 3200 NO3                   Category Normal  
A/W Date 10/31/1988  
Other Owner Names
None
Temporary Certificate
None
Fuel Modifications
None

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

That was my first choice and it's looking like I'll get one.  I was just curious about an alternative.

Bought my g/f a 4.4i with all the bells and whistles (her neighbor is the BMW dealership manager) and it is seriously nice. If I wasn't into off-roading I would have got one. 2005 models are supposed to have a newer kick-ass engine that is better than the 4.6i version.

CW

How is the handling IYO?  I'm looking at the V8 model one notch below the top of the line model.

That would be the 4.4i. I suggest that if you have the time, register at Bimmerforums.com and ask there. They have a forum for the X5.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:36:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:58:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have an 87 944S.  In the six years I've had it I've put about 30000 miles on it and other than routine maintance I've put maybe $300 into it.  
GREAT CAR!!

5k a year?  No offense but that's not exactly rough treatment.  I am averaging 12k/year on my truck, and that's only because I lucked out with proximity to work for most of that time.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:41:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I asked my mate who is a porsche mechanic...

he said "they can have a few issues but if u get a good one they are awesome"  Note:  if you get a good one.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:26:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The Cayenne is a retagged/glitzed-up Volkswagen Touareg.

Ya got that backwards, dude. The Toureg is the Cayenne knockoff. Porsche designed the thing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The costs I quoted are on the higher scale and thats for a 911 turbo that my buddy owns.  You can stick your fingernails into the tire compound and it will leave a mark.  Soft as hell, but gives you a lot of gription!  Those tires are more like $250-350 a pop.   My Z4 tires are $210 each and there is no comparison.  

Porsche dealer service departments will charge what the area will bear based on the local competition.  I have no doubt that there are dealers who are charging $500 for an oil change.  

Yes, tires are $250-350 (or more) each.  You usually quote them by axle sets (2 tires) because they are different sizes between the front and rear.   My quote of 650/$700 a set was for two tires from Tirerack and not the dealer.  Sorry for the misunderstanding. Max performance tires use very sticky (soft) rubber compounds and they trade off tread life for traction/cornering ability.  If your friend drives his Turbo with a heavy foot he probably won't get more then 10,000 miles out of a rear set of tires.

You should always try and find an independent Porsche mechanic in the area if you can.  Join the local Porsche Club and they will tell you who the best ones are in your area.  Use the dealer's service dept. for warranty work only.  Hard core Porsche people do most of their own maintenance themselves anyway.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

CW

Can't compare it to a Cayenne, but it is noticeably better than any other SUV I've sampled. I've driven all of the Ford products, the Chevy Suburban and Tahoe, Mazda's MDX, the 2003 Lexii(sp?), Land Rovers (I own a 03 Disco), Toyota LC and the smaller one (not the RAV), Dodge Durango, Mercedes M320, Jeep Cherokee and Liberty,  and  a Unimog. Don't know about the current crop of Lexus/Infinity/whatever teardrop SUVs.

CW

How is the handling IYO?  I'm looking at the V8 model one notch below the top of the line model.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I tow this:

www.986host.com/gallery/eclou/DSC02875?full=1

with this:

www.986host.com/gallery/eclou/DSC02307?full=1

BTW $300 in maintenance on a 944 in 30k miles means you aren't driving it hard enough!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#28]
A GT3 pulled into the gas station I was at yesterday afternoon.  Yellow and really dirty.  Some pompass looking middle-aged guy.  I doubt he really ever gets on it.  Probably just sits in the fast lane driving the speed limit so everyone can see his expensive car.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top