Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to Autotrader, used 2008 Vipers seem to be going for $70-$80k around the country. What noteworthy cars can be had in that price range that the OP may not have considered yet?

A Porsche 911 turbo convertible or a Ferrari 355? If you are going to buy a car that is going to rape you in maintains costs, you might as well go big.

Or just buy a Z06 or ZR1 Corvette and laugh your ass all the way to the bank (and finish line).

Sure he will.

Yep, all the way to the finish line and the bank

Yeah, everyone that buys a super car knows how to drive like a factory test driver.

I think he was implying that you get more speed for your money. Plus, those comparisons on that site aren't unfair, they are pro drivers versus pro drivers.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had a 00 GTS, treated me well honestly..no huge issues other than the side sills.  Interior got ridiculously hot, especially in the Summer.

Not a huge fan of the Gen IIIs, but the above car looks nice.

In retrospect, wish I had gotten a different color combo.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B607B187A-591F-4BB8-BA71-43D1755B67FF%7D/origpict/101-0172_IMG.JPG  

I have to agree that I also like the looks of the GTS coupe better than the 3r gen., GTS's curvacous & bulbous body & fenders are gorgeous, but the 3rd gen. is more aerodynamics, more power, has ABS, better air-cond., and is more refined & easy to daily drive than the GTS, either way, Vipers are all American, brute & beauty, and now Chrysler has become an obongo company, his tree huggin minions will turn this car company into a European clone - puny, no character, cars...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to Autotrader, used 2008 Vipers seem to be going for $70-$80k around the country. What noteworthy cars can be had in that price range that the OP may not have considered yet?

A Porsche 911 turbo convertible or a Ferrari 355? If you are going to buy a car that is going to rape you in maintains costs, you might as well go big.

Or just buy a Z06 or ZR1 Corvette and laugh your ass all the way to the bank (and finish line).

Sure he will.

Yep, all the way to the finish line and the bank

Yeah, everyone that buys a super car knows how to drive like a factory test driver.

I think he was implying that you get more speed for your money. Plus, those comparisons on that site aren't unfair, they are pro drivers versus pro drivers.

ding ding ding
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's a Chrysler product.

That about says it all. To me they look like a cobbled up 3000 GT. Big fail IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:25:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Out of all these...I'd take the SuperDuty. No shit.

Personally, I'd get a 2010 Cobra / GT500...but in your situation I'd look at a Z06 with a Procharger and meth inj.

ETA: Actually a 2010 GT with about $15,000 in go fast parts would be more my thing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:56:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have looked at the Gallardo, and 360 Spyder, but I do not live near, or know, an Italian car mechanic.  The Italian cars are EXTREMELY maintenance heavy.  I am looking at the Viper as an investment/show car in a few years.  I think obongo will do his best to assrape the car market and "force" the ecoboxes on the masses.  I tend to do just the opposite of what lib's want us to do and this would be my middle finger salute to them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:19:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know of a board member and gun mfg owner who has two Vipers. One is moded for racing and he loves them booth.

As for a miata and the Vette.  The Miata is a girls car and is easier to drive but will get its ass whooped bad by a Vette, not to mention that I can not even fit in a miata.  If you know what you are doing, then you can do some really creepy shit with a Vette, but it aint for the faint of heart. The performance envelope is way, way out there if you can handle it.

Sure,the Miata's a girls car and doesn't even have enough power to speed away from current minivans in a straight line but when it comes to fun on a track or on roads like Deals Gap,since you're in TN,it's capable of punching way,way above its weight and can easily embarass much heavier,far more powerful cars.

It all comes down to what do you want to do with it:  just for cruising,drag it,HPDE,Auto X? Vipers are kickass cars and you're far more likely to find a Viper that hasn't been driven very hard than any import and even most American cars.Any stock clean one is probably owned by someone who's older that wanted something cool to putt around in,same as Vettes.There are lots of really good deals on Vettes these days but Vipers certainly do have more of a visual/just to be different appeal.I'm not into cars with huge motors due to lack of space to do anything with them but if I lived somewhere where there were no tracks to get high G cornering kicks, the only curves were freeway exit ramps and law enforcement was sparse,I'd probably have an FRC Vette rather than my Miata ( yes) and MR2-S ( another lightweight that's way more capable than most give it credit).To me,it's just a bunch of extra weight to lug around and motor that can't be used most of the time-it's just much more fun to ring out a "girl's car" than putt-putt in a rocket <shrug>

Or,as I tell most people:if you just want to go fast,there's simply no beating any used recent liter plus sportbike.A $6000 ZX-10/Busa/GSXR 1000 et al pretty much can't be beat when it comes to brutal speed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:36:24 AM EDT
[#8]
If I could afford a Viper I wouldn't give a shit how reliable it is or how expensive it is to maintian!  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:36:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know of a board member and gun mfg owner who has two Vipers. One is moded for racing and he loves them booth.

As for a miata and the Vette.  The Miata is a girls car and is easier to drive but will get its ass whooped bad by a Vette, not to mention that I can not even fit in a miata.  If you know what you are doing, then you can do some really creepy shit with a Vette, but it aint for the faint of heart. The performance envelope is way, way out there if you can handle it.

Sure,the Miata's a girls car and doesn't even have enough power to speed away from current minivans in a straight line but when it comes to fun on a track or on roads like Deals Gap,since you're in TN,it's capable of punching way,way above its weight and can easily embarass much heavier,far more powerful cars.

It all comes down to what do you want to do with it:  just for cruising,drag it,HPDE,Auto X? Vipers are kickass cars and you're far more likely to find a Viper that hasn't been driven very hard than any import and even most American cars.Any stock clean one is probably owned by someone who's older that wanted something cool to putt around in,same as Vettes.There are lots of really good deals on Vettes these days but Vipers certainly do have more of a visual/just to be different appeal.I'm not into cars with huge motors due to lack of space to do anything with them but if I lived somewhere where there were no tracks to get high G cornering kicks, the only curves were freeway exit ramps and law enforcement was sparse,I'd probably have an FRC Vette rather than my Miata ( yes) and MR2-S ( another lightweight that's way more capable than most give it credit).To me,it's just a bunch of extra weight to lug around and motor that can't be used most of the time-it's just much more fun to ring out a "girl's car" than putt-putt in a rocket <shrug>

Or,as I tell most people:if you just want to go fast,there's simply no beating any used recent liter plus sportbike.A $6000 ZX-10/Busa/GSXR 1000 et al pretty much can't be beat when it comes to brutal speed.

Wow, someone else that gets it!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:41:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Driven a '98 a little and put about 300 miles on an '02. Absolute blast, especially for a Mopar guy.
One thing about them, the Viper has never pretended to be anything that its not.  I think of them as "unapologetic".
Still rude, still crude, still effective.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:49:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sir, only the generosity and opportunities of America, and the witnessing of American Christians that allowed a Buddist background, Christian hating S.V.N. war refugee came here at the age of 7 w/ his parents & sibblings, didn't know a lick of English, became a Christian, worked hard, went to college, and work harder, & received the Lord's blessing, and enjoying the fruits of his labor...

This is why I love America, it's my country, not my Vietnam (my motherland/birthplace)... This is one reason why it disgusts me when many hispanics come here, don't want to assimilate, abuse America's generosity, and spits on America by flying the messican flag  !

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:51:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not an owner, but I saw these guys screwing around at Zmax Dragway a few weeks ago.

Judging by the way they were driving in the pits, they should have been evicted from the property and never allowed to return.

Nice cars, but owned by a bunch of fuckwads.
http://www.undergroundracing.com/
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc83/yullose/DSC070642.jpg

LOL I work with Underground on a regular basis. They build some of the Fastest street cars in the world. My GM owns a TT Viper they built and its ungodly fast. Useless but fast. But yeah so long as its not hot outside Vipers rock. Drive one all the time usually not the same one twice. Have a Yellow and black SRT Coupe in the shop now getting a blue and silver coupe in next week and have a Black Gen 2 in the bay with a procharger on it. I love my job some days.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can vouch for this guys viper, it is freaking sweet.  Almost as nice as the minivan

Have we met, cause  I do have a pimpin Honda Odyssey to haul wife & kids around

Yeah, at the costco gas station.  I saw the bolf face on the minivan.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's a Chrysler product.

So is my 300C, what's your point?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#15]
ZR1 FTW.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was going to go out and get one, but my girlfriend's Lamborghini wouldn't start.

yeah, my driver was off that day
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Never ridden in one but i sat in one at the dealership and it was really uncomforatble i couldnt see  myself  owning one. They are cool though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top