Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Anti-death penalty here.  Waste of time, money, and resources.  Then there are the people exonerated from death row.

IIRC Radley Balko formerly of Reason Magazine has done a lot of work on this including IIRC sending A well known forensic scientist to prison for falsifying evidence.  Happened in Alabama I think, can't remember the guys name.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#2]
DNA evidence has exonerated many who were convicted due to misidentification by witnesses, prosecutorial misconduct, etc....

Its pretty clear that our system without the check of DNA evidence has some issues.   I'm pretty sure we've killed a few innocent people in the past and we'll probably do it in the future, hopefully less often due to better methods of investigation.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Based on the number of convicts who have later been proven innocent, I find it mighty hard to believe that no innocent man was ever executed in this country.

And the scary part is that so many truly believe in the "gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet" theory of justice.

What do you expect after 75 years of communist indoctrination in our public schools and news media?

Umm the 75 years of indoctrination would be "better 100 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man be convicted"

which I happen to agree with

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#4]
How many victims were "innocent"?

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How many victims were "innocent"?

You proposing free fire zones for scumbags to kill each other???

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Not as many as have killed and gotten away with it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm *Barely* anti DP.  I simply argue that the state does not hold any right
to take the life of any person.  I've been round and round with this, and
I'm not in the mood to fight tonight.  I've got the NFL Draft coming up shortly,
and I don't like to think about "Work" when I don't have to.

I, having been on numerous .gov contracts have been witness to shameless..
and I mean...Shameless....Fraud and abuse.  If the government can't keep track
of money, and is fraudulent with our money...How can we hold them
responsible with execution?

I can't fathom that.  I know lots of people have it coming.  I work four on and four
off with many that should be executed.  

But I don't know that I can trust the state to do that when they can't even control
budgets.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Google Joyce Gilchrest. forensics expert, and Bob Macy., District Attorney.
They sent about 20 some odd people to death row on falsified evidence.
About 12 of them were executed and some are still on death row waiting for appeals and court hearings.
Yeah, some innocent of the crimes were convicted of were probably executed but they weren't upstanding citizens so the courts didn't really care.
The state AG wrote an opinion that those convicted on falsified evidence would have been convicted anyway so they are still being held by the state.
I went to a CEU class that covered some of this when I was working as an investigator.
Sure made me take a second look at what I was doing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't read the whole post, so these may be repeats.

Found these on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_execution

Chipito Rodriguez was hanged in San Patricio County, Texas in 1863 for murdering a horse trader, and 122 years later, the Texas Legislature passed a resolution exonerating her.

Thomas and Meeks Griffin were executed in 1915 for the murder of a man involved in an interracial affair two years previously but were pardoned 94 years after execution. It is thought that they were arrested and charged because they were not wealthy enough to hire competent legal counsel and get an acquittal.

There was another one that I read in a book called Last Words of the Executed by Robert K. Elder, but I can't remember the name of the guy. But the story goes he was convicted and executed for killing his friend in the late 1800s. His last words were something to the effect of "I didn't do it, and I go to heaven with a clear conscience." A few years later the guy he was convicted of murdering shows up back at home. He told the courts that he and 'executed' never had any ill will towards each other whatsoever. I know that sometime in the 1990s they finally passed a resolution to pardon him.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Most murder victims could strain to be called victims, most are drug related IIRC.  Do you really care if they kill each other?  Because that problem will go on in an endless cycle till government collapses the black market through legalization.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most murder victims could strain to be called victims, most are drug related IIRC.  Do you really care if they kill each other?  Because that problem will go on in an endless cycle till government collapses the black market through legalization.

Agree, but murder is murder.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't know about all of them, but the cases  i've been involved with damn sure were gulity.  When you find body parts kept as trophies in the guys fridge, or video of the murder in his bedroom VCR, it's pretty conclusive.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
at least 40 documented cases by the police shooting people in their homes.

But it was with birdshot, so they lived......

Sorry, I couldn't resist....

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree, but murder is murder.

When the government creates the environment and circumstances for it to happen it bares scrutinizing.

I say legalize dueling and drugs.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Better that 100 guilty men go free (or, in this case not be put to death) than one innocent man be jailed (or put to death).

In theory, I think the death penalty is appropriate in some circumstances.  In practice, the death penalty is administered by people and people can make mistakes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#16]
It would be interesting to compare the pro-death penalty people against how many posts they make elsewhere decrying the fallibility and inefficiency of government.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.161313.1314013487!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/alg-casey-anthony-after-verdict-jpg.jpg

I was pro death pealty until her case. The over reaching by the state and the lack of a solid murder case turned the tide for me. If they could do it in a case of that notoriety they could do it in any murder case that gets a small amount of media attention.

I'm still pro-death penalty, if anything that case is the reason there should be no cameras in courtroom, the media had her convicted in the court of public opinion which is a dangerous thing,

As for the whole O'toole thing somebody mention earlier investigators used him as a clearing house for cold cases as far as I read, an out of state detective would interview him "did you kill x person at x place at x time?" he would say yes and they would say case closed.

Casey Anthony is excellent example of someone who should have been put to death, just like her comrade in knives/guns Jodi -Piece of Shit- Airas.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Based on the number of convicts who have later been proven innocent, I find it mighty hard to believe that no innocent man was ever executed in this country.

And the scary part is that so many truly believe in the "gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet" theory of justice.

What do you expect after 75 years of communist indoctrination in our public schools and news media?

Umm the 75 years of indoctrination would be "better 100 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man be convicted"

That's not communist.  That's rooted in English common law.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I am Anti death penalty so I can't help you out. But I would think once a man is executed there isn't too much priority to prove his innocents. I would say look at the scandal involving FBI and police tampering with evidence.

"it is better to let ten guilty men go free than let one innocent man be convicted"?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not communist.  That's rooted in English common law.

Also Biblical text.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#21]
With all the corruption in government, I don't trust them with the power to take a life.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
at least 40 documented cases by the police shooting people in their homes.

Well that didn't take long. Your rock is calling, go crawl back under it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looking for something from the DOJ or a scholarly study.  All Google is coming up with is huffington post type garbage.  Thanks for any help guys!

If you google search your only going to get garbage.  You need to be in JSTOR, Proquest or some other academic database doing you searches

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There is a kid here in VA that almost got executed despite exculpatory evidence.

Beyond a reasonable doubt, OP.

I only favor the death penalty for extremely heinous crimes and incidents where one is caught "red handed".

Because my county's shitbag of a CA Ebert suppressed evidence, basically paid off the real killer with a lighter sentence in exchange for testimony, and engaged in all kinds of the prosecutorial misconduct that he and his underlings are known for in order to make an example out of this kid and appear "tough on crime". The guy is one of those shitbag holier than thou types that can smooth talk and politic (a prerequisite for office it seems) that manages to find themselves in a position of power.  May fuck be upon him.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm pro-death penalty.

But look up Cameron Todd Willingham and David Wayne Spence.

I'm convinced both were not guilty of the crimes that they were executed for.

Both were certainly scumbags, but probably didn't do the deeds that got them snuffed.

eta... I actually knew Spence slightly. He used to hang out at the same convenience store we did. He'd buy us beer if we gave him the cash. Seemed like a normal enough guy. Not a triple-murderer.

That's the same shit that's ALWAYS parroted.

Yep my cousin was a nice guy sans the crank habit and murders, a very great guy.  Glad he is gone now.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top