Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
How about, Hey how do you like my new M1 Grand.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It really grates my nerves how people who are otherwise educated have such a problem with spelling and grammar in the workplace.  

The ones that hurt my brain the most are:  definately, and as for misusing common phrases: "I could care less."

Any of y'all have any pet peeves like that?

My pet pees all the time
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The use of random apostrophe's where they shouldnt bee.  Why do some fool's think every word that end's in s ha's to have an apostrophe before it?  

ETA:  Brake and break.  The breaks on your car are going out?  Really?

Or the lack of one where it should be

My biggest peeve isn't spelling/grammar on here...I have to spell properly when writing for the paper, here; who cares?

In speech however, I HATE it when someone says, "I seen him in a movie once."

No...You 'saw' him or you 'have seen' him but you did not 'seen him.'
It's mainly a New England thing, though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The use of random apostrophe's where they shouldnt bee.  Why do some fool's think every word that end's in s ha's to have an apostrophe before it?  

“End's” would be contraction for "End Is".
In your case, you misused the apostrophe. It should have been "ends".

And it’s “be”, not “bee”.

Or, maybe you were just being sardonic.

No, I'm positive he was trying to spell everything correctly and just by coincidence messed up on everything he was complaining about in the first place
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
TEH GHEY HAXORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH TEH NOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:  Brake and break.  The breaks on your car are going out?  Really?

Or the lack of one where it should be

My biggest peeve isn't spelling/grammar on here...I have to spell properly when writing for the paper, here; who cares?

In speech however, I HATE it when someone says, "I seen him in a movie once."

No...You 'saw' him or you 'have seen' him but you did not 'seen him.'
It's mainly a New England thing, though.

We have a large ghetto here... Sorta wierd. Either way they frequently say things like 'I aint done nothin' to nobody'. Being a double negative that hits my ears like 'I have done something to somebody'...
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate every sentence started with the word "actually". Listen for it. Very common.

My car needs washed.
Your room needs picked up.
The dog needs walked.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Are / Our

As in "I can't wait to get home to feed are pigs then hose down are trailer."

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Athletespeak

"Ya know... and ya know.  And ya know...

Ya know and ya know and ya know ya know....

Ya know what I'm sayin'?"
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#10]
lomtik mugula goumber, slith paperly gundit, frogt flabber fumbus megeez. tark snaf plutom grik farg. tota memer magtog gago. ploup slure gik memr fjf aiej ;amck ruiw clek.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#11]
"enormity"

It does NOT mean "enormousness" or bigness.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I hate every sentence started with the word "actually". Listen for it. Very common.

And people who inject 'literally' into every sentence.

Another one that I suppose could be considered grammar is the misuse of 'begging the question'.  It is a logical fallacy, not something that raises a separate issue.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#13]
With all the missing people lately, "gone missing" has become a common phrase, it souds wrong to me, is it?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm really only annoyed when I do it.  Over time I'll give people some slack if I know where they're coming from.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Does & Dose
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Irregardless

Supposably
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#17]
The overuse and misuse of the word "unique".
"unique" means one of a kind.
You cannot have something "sort of" unique, or "really" unique. It is either unique or it isn't.

I have noticed newscasters saying "very" unique and it has become commonplace in advertising to say things like "one of the MOST unique..."

Drives me crazy.

pato
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh yeah--it's "ordnance" when you are talking about ammunition. It's "ordinance" when you are talking about local laws.
Get it right.

pato
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top