you say stupid shit but damn thats dumb
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’d return the clusterflok and get to costco
He obviously hasn't read beyond the original post.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I thought Amsec were kinda a go to for RSC's?

And they had a whole run of shitty mechanisms installed?

Wot?
View Quote
This is the first I've heard of. How many others do you know of?
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Dang, that sucks! What was the total time to open?
View Quote
About 4 hours. A lot of that time was waiting on Amsec Customer Support.

Quoted:
So I thought Amsec were kinda a go to for RSC's?

And they had a whole run of shitty mechanisms installed?

Wot?
View Quote
I ran into a thread that said the same. I haven't heard of anything else.

Quoted:
So the failure was not the lock itself but the unlocking mechanism?
View Quote
Yep. The cam that you spin to unlock the the bolts has a pin. That pin broke. The top bolts were torqued out of center and the side bolts were locked shut and disconected off the pin.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Amsec and The SafeGuy made it right for me when my ESL5 malfunctioned. That archived thread is from October 2016. Anyways, a bad bunch of locks slipped thru the QA process, and Amsec was very helpful in the end. Frustrating to not get at your own goodies, on demand. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#6]
If it took you more than 10 minutes to open it, well.......
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The cam pin snapped and locked the bolt work at an angle so it could not disengage. Had to drill the side and knock it open with a sledge.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/192163/20190323_144418_jpg-887504.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/192163/20190323_145024_jpg-887505.JPG
View Quote
How many hours of work?
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Keypad or dial?

I just bought a dial to replace my keypad.
View Quote
@Engineer5 Is that a DIY project, or should you have a locksmith do it? I'm interested in converting mine as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I just had a lock fail two weeks ago, nine year old safe with electronic lock.
Good news I did get the safe open one more time.
Called about it and they sent me a new lock and keypad at no charge.
I installed it and everything is just fine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How many hours of work?
View Quote
About 4 hours, mostly on the phone with the tech. He had all the spots drilled out but then when each successive spot was not fixing the problem it was a wait and hold for Amsec.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Dayam. Glad the ordeal is over.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm glad my Amsec came with the dial.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Was told by Liberty if I did the conversion it voids the warranty so a local locksmith referred by them changed it out.  After seeing it done I should have saved some money ....
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Electronic locks blow.

S&G dial or go home.
View Quote
Why people even consider an electronic lock is beyond me - way too many failure paths.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@Engineer5 Is that a DIY project, or should you have a locksmith do it? I'm interested in converting mine as well.
View Quote
@twistedLV

After watching a youtube vid it's looks straight forward.  I think the biggest issue is the re-locker.  From my understanding if you mess up with the re-locker you're calling a smith to fix your screw up.  I don't think it will be a problem.

Here is the one I bought........Ebay

I messaged the seller with some questions and they replied back promptly.  They said the are available on the phone to help you if you need it.

I'll probably do the job this coming week.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why people even consider an electronic lock is beyond me - way too many failure paths.
View Quote
It wasn't the lock.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Jesus, one of mine is 23yrs old, no problems. Same model as the Amsec at my FFL and his gets opened and closed 6x a week.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Herpty-derp, herpty-derp.  I've learned that whatever GD recommends, do the opposite.  That strategy has served me well.

I suppose GD would rather have carbureted engines instead of fuel injection along with incandescent bulbs verses LED.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#19]
i have an amsex drawer safe and the electronic lock is not reliable
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
ESL5 did not get glowing reviews from the locksmith. He said the 10 and 15 were gtg.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
ESL5 did not get glowing reviews from the locksmith. He said the 10 and 15 were gtg.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry I meant this model

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It wasn't the lock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't the lock.
Exactly my point - with the electric lock, you've got two subsystems that can fail: electronic and mechanical.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Herpty-derp, herpty-derp.  I've learned that whatever GD recommends, do the opposite.  That strategy has served me well.

I suppose GD would rather have carbureted engines instead of fuel injection along with incandescent bulbs verses LED.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sound retarded.  How components in an electronic lock can fail before it's unusable?
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Exactly my point - with the electric lock, you've got two subsystems that can fail: electronic and mechanical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't the lock.
Lol, do you think mechanical locks are simple?  They are complicated and fail themselves.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You sound retarded.  How components in an electronic lock can fail before it's unusable?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many components can fail in a mechanical lock?
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Try having to open a military vault when the new commander locks the keys inside and forgets the new combo. That was a fun one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#28]
In for a safe thread
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Electronic locks blow.

S&G dial or go home.
View Quote
I have an S&G electronic.  Zero problems.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Lol, do you think mechanical locks are simple?  They are complicated and fail themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't the lock.
Mechanical locks are simple and robust, but that doesn't mean they're foolproof - just less likely to fail than their electronic counter parts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 2:27:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Silverbullet.... your thread here is a bit confusing. Did we make you whole again? Everything good?

The picture is telling a weird story, I see all of the failures in these cases. That's a new one for sure. So, let me get some clarity, if you would please?

Did the Locksmith "punch" the boltwork back?

Do you have a photo of the Lock area before anything was disassembled? (PM to me if you can)

I would like to try and re-construct the series of events if you can.

Did the opening action act strange, feel binding, or hang in any way before it ceased up?

When it was locked out, how much would the handle turn?

If I had not read any of the comments, I would guess the Relocker fired, and the damages I see were caused by the punching. In that case, the handle would turn slightly more than if you didn't operate the e-lock. Does that sound plausible?
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
The number of lock failures for mechanical vs electronic may be a huge percentage difference, but either is still a tiny total percentage.

The rate of failure for electronic locks is around 3 per 100 over a TEN year period.

The reason to go electronic -
Anyone with the combination can open in it a dim room, without glasses, in <5 seconds.
It's convenient.

Would I depend on a gun behind an electronic lock for 'bump in the night' home defense?
Fuck no, but I wouldn't depend on a gun behind a dial lock that takes 30 seconds or more to open and under stress is easy to fuck up either.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hence the way your posts are regarded.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Silverbullet.... your thread here is a bit confusing. Did we make you whole again? Everything good?

The picture is telling a weird story, I see all of the failures in these cases. That's a new one for sure. So, let me get some clarity, if you would please?

Did the Locksmith "punch" the boltwork back?

Do you have a photo of the Lock area before anything was disassembled? (PM to me if you can)

I would like to try and re-construct the series of events if you can.

Did the opening action act strange, feel binding, or hang in any way before it ceased up?

When it was locked out, how much would the handle turn?

If I had not read any of the comments, I would guess the Relocker fired, and the damages I see were caused by the punching. In that case, the handle would turn slightly more than if you didn't operate the e-lock. Does that sound plausible?
View Quote
1) Locksmith drilled the lock and the relocker as per Amsec Tech Support. Then drilled the side and punched back the free side bolts after the other drilling failed.

2) The lock area is exactly how it was at the opening.

3) I used the lock a few times as per what I was told to make sure I knew how to get into the safe and could repeat the code I put in. I then left it alone. The next day I opened and closed it again to make sure I could work the mechanism prior to placing all my long guns and ammo inside. The first time I closed and locked it with my gear inside I felt the handle bind then suddenly give. I thought it was strange, so I tried unlocking it immediately and I could hear the lockwork but it was bound up.

4) The handle was bound. CS said to push in and twist then it started spinning freely with a slight amount of bind.

It wasn't the relocker. The drilling itself apparently pushed the locking mechanism in without needing to punch it.

@TheSafeGuy

AMSEC is saying that it will cover the safe but the (EXPENSIVE) install will be on me... for a safe that lasted 48hrs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Electronic locks blow.

S&G dial or go home.
I've had my electronic lock for 9 years, no issues yet
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

1) Locksmith drilled the lock and the relocker as per Amsec Tech Support. Then drilled the side and punched back the free side bolts after the other drilling failed.

2) The lock area is exactly how it was at the opening.

3) I used the lock a few times as per what I was told to make sure I knew how to get into the safe and could repeat the code I put in. I then left it alone. The next day I opened and closed it again to make sure I could work the mechanism prior to placing all my long guns and ammo inside. The first time I closed and locked it with my gear inside I felt the handle bind then suddenly give. I thought it was strange, so I tried unlocking it immediately and I could hear the lockwork but it was bound up.

4) The handle was bound. CS said to push in and twist then it started spinning freely with a slight amount of bind.

It wasn't the relocker. The drilling itself apparently pushed the locking mechanism in without needing to punch it.

@TheSafeGuy

AMSEC is saying that it will cover the safe but the (EXPENSIVE) install will be on me... for a safe that lasted 48hrs.
View Quote
Ouch.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ouch.
View Quote
Yeah, nfw am I going to screw myself out of that delivery charge because their safe screwed up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Had one at work that had the keypad on it and quit working...Well we were going to just sell it at an auction to get rid of it. I decided to tinker with it one day, the key pad would still work but not open the safe. I popped out the 9v battery and replaced it, no luck, however it started making a clicking noise every time I installed the battery. I ended up getting frustrated with not being able to open the safe. So I then took the 9v battery and placed the battery to the battery terminal...Well I could hear the clicking sound so kept applying the batter on and off probably 20 times and bingo it beeped and I could unlock it!!...I have no idea how that worked other then some kind of short circuit or something. I felt like a real James Bond.

Anyway glad you got it open.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a small mechanical Liberty that gave me problems from day one, sometimes taking a half dozen attempts to open.  I thought I was just too clumsy to open it, until one day in frustration, I smacked it right over the dial with the edge of my fist, and it opened.  I brought a spare dead blow mallet in from the shop and life went on, albeit with one more niggling aggravation.

Until, one day, even the mallet could not convince it to behave. After stewing and cursing a malevolent fate, I grabbed my ass with one hand and my wallet with the other and called a locksmith.

I gave him the combination and left him to it. I was barely out of the room went I heard the “clunk” of the handle turning and the bolts withdrawing. Turns out the combination had not been accurately set at the factory, 40 was actually closer to 41, etc. He reset it, and charged me fifty bucks for the hour round trip to my house and the five minutes work. I was pleased and have had no further difficulty with it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#40]
My oldest is a Sportsman Steel (?) safe.  IIRC it's a southern California outfit.  S&G dial.  Still works 100% after 35+ years.  Dial is getting a little sticky, though.

Go dial or go home.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#41]
How many of you don't actually read a thread.

THE FUCKING LOCK DIDN'T FAIL.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#42]
When I worked for an armored truck company, I walked into the manger's office of a customer and saw they had
a big chain and padlock wrapped around the safe.
I said, "Ya' know the aisle at Home Depot with the big chain? The next aisle has the $30.00 angle grinders."
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top