Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You mom should be in prison too, fuck em both.
View Quote

Well, she’s passed on so…
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You should feel bad, because he is your brother and (most importantly) because you are a good man.  

You need to cut him out completely for your safety and your family stability.  Cutting things out generally hurts, once again, because you are a good man.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Little long, but absolutely needs context.

First , my brothers a career criminal / druggy shitbag.  

Background.

Started at 12 years old, sketchy shit, theft, stealing car stereos, doing, buying, selling drugs, etc.  constant problems, my mother would be fighting in court to get him out of trouble, while he’s got 3-4 more pending cases, just endless bullshit. Stole my car, her car, her paycheck, wrote bad checks on her, 1000 other things.  Narced on everyone he knew / did undercover stings on friends, multiple times for reduced sentences, She coddled him, did everything possible to protect him from consequences.  

5 years in prison at 21 for drug shit.  came home, had a wife waiting, home, car, everything, just needed to work a job. Nope, sleep till noon, running all night, eventually got his wife on drugs and she lost her teaching job.  

Sketchy shit,  didn’t pay a speeding ticket, turned into a warrant while on parole,  cops tried to arrest at traffic stop, he runs , wrecks car, car jacks a dude, cops looking for him, mom gives him $5k to “ run “. He goes to Miami with his wife, calls a week later broke. Almost gets his wife raped by Miami shitbirds, who also steal his car. Now, Can’t get home. ( wife took bus home,)  I flat refuse to help, say the cops will happily ship him back for free. A few days later, My mom borrows my truck a few days later to buy a couch… then claims it was stolen. I report it stolen, etc. Turns out she gave it to his wife, to drive 1800 miles to Miami to fetch him. perfectly happy to fuck me over, simply to help enable him.

Doing court shit for car jacking, playing mentally ill, 2 months in a mental hospital, almost worked, but before it could get dismissed, he robs two banks. Does 20 years, gets out 2 years ago.

he’s 52 now, spent 1/2 his life in prison, never worked a job, EVER.  Mom died 2 years into his 20 years, so, no more enabling.

He calls me expecting to move in. I say fuck off, turn your life around, maybe I’ll talk to you. He gets a high school buddy to get him a job waiting tables, and sleeping on dudes couch. A month later he carjacks a 16 year old at knife point, caught, parole revoked. That was 2-3 years ago.  Apparently 5 years remaining sentence and 2 carjackings = being released with 3 years, because apparently he was released again.

Now… today. He calls me from North Carolina, is in a shelter, wants money, to get his life started, get SS card, license, blah blah. ( same thing 3 years earlier ).

I tell him this.

I told you before, turn your life around and prove your worth associating with. What did you do ? Carjacked a 16 year old girl. Your a shitbag, always have been, always will be. I’m not letting you, or your bullshit near my life, much less into if. Number blocked.

Obviously I feel kinda bad deep inside, as I SHOULD help out, as a Christian I should, etc. The fact is though, Iv seen him “ helped out “, dozens of times, never changes, and fucks over anyone who tries to help.  He likes being a shitbag, and will never change, me helping him would just fuck my life up big time, and accomplish jack shit, as he will be back in prison soon, I’d just delay it by helping, and uck my own life up. Fuck that. Best I can do is write him off, and keep that shit totally out of my life.

Am I a asshole ? Not in general, . For not helping this asshole out.
View Quote

From my experience from working in LE, people have the ability to change up until middle to late 20's. (usually get married and have kids) After that its their chosen lifestyle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Background.

Started at 12 years old, sketchy shit, theft, stealing car stereos, doing, buying, selling drugs, etc.  constant problems, my mother would be fighting in court to get him out of trouble, while he's got 3-4 more pending cases, just endless bullshit. Stole my car, her car, her paycheck, wrote bad checks on her, 1000 other things.  Narced on everyone he knew / did undercover stings on friends, multiple times for reduced sentences, She coddled him, did everything possible to protect him from consequences.  

5 years in prison at 21 for drug shit.  came home, had a wife waiting, home, car, everything, just needed to work a job. Nope, sleep till noon, running all night, eventually got his wife on drugs and she lost her teaching job.  

Sketchy shit,  didn't pay a speeding ticket, turned into a warrant while on parole,  cops tried to arrest at traffic stop, he runs , wrecks car, car jacks a dude, cops looking for him, mom gives him $5k to " run ". He goes to Miami with his wife, calls a week later broke. Almost gets his wife raped by Miami shitbirds, who also steal his car. Now, Can't get home. ( wife took bus home,)  I flat refuse to help, say the cops will happily ship him back for free. A few days later, My mom borrows my truck a few days later to buy a couch  then claims it was stolen. I report it stolen, etc. Turns out she gave it to his wife, to drive 1800 miles to Miami to fetch him. perfectly happy to fuck me over, simply to help enable him.

Doing court shit for car jacking, playing mentally ill, 2 months in a mental hospital, almost worked, but before it could get dismissed, he robs two banks. Does 20 years, gets out 2 years ago.

he's 52 now, spent 1/2 his life in prison, never worked a job, EVER.  Mom died 2 years into his 20 years, so, no more enabling.

He calls me expecting to move in. I say fuck off, turn your life around, maybe I'll talk to you. He gets a high school buddy to get him a job waiting tables, and sleeping on dudes couch. A month later he carjacks a 16 year old at knife point, caught, parole revoked. That was 2-3 years ago.  Apparently 5 years remaining sentence and 2 carjackings = being released with 3 years, because apparently he was released again.

Now  today. He calls me from North Carolina, is in a shelter, wants money, to get his life started, get SS card, license, blah blah. ( same thing 3 years earlier ).

I tell him this.

I told you before, turn your life around and prove your worth associating with. What did you do ? Carjacked a 16 year old girl. Your a shitbag, always have been, always will be. I'm not letting you, or your bullshit near my life, much less into if. Number blocked.

Obviously I feel kinda bad deep inside, as I SHOULD help out, as a Christian I should, etc. The fact is though, Iv seen him " helped out ", dozens of times, never changes, and fucks over anyone who tries to help.  He likes being a shitbag, and will never change, me helping him would just fuck my life up big time, and accomplish jack shit, as he will be back in prison soon, I'd just delay it by helping, and uck my own life up. Fuck that. Best I can do is write him off, and keep that shit totally out of my life.

View Quote

My brother is also a career criminal and druggy shitbag, and we've been estranged for a long time now because of a similar situation. I have him blocked everywhere except when I'm required to show up for a visit with my parents and he's there.

You're not the asshole, but those types always try make it out like you're the asshole.

I would love nothing more for my brother and I to reconcile, but the ball is in his court to do that. It starts with him changing.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, I need some money.

I've been a shitposter, but I'm turning my life around.

$87 will do me.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
She coddled him, did everything possible to protect him from consequences.  

eventually got his wife on drugs and she lost her teaching job.  

A few days later, My mom borrows my truck a few days later to buy a couch  then claims it was stolen. I report it stolen, etc. Turns out she gave it to his wife, to drive 1800 miles to Miami to fetch him. perfectly happy to fuck me over, simply to help enable him.

Examples of previous people enabling him. ^^^

Obviously I feel kinda bad deep inside, as I SHOULD help out, as a Christian I should, etc.

You thinking you should be enabling him. ^^^

The fact is though, Iv seen him " helped out ", dozens of times, never changes, and fucks over anyone who tries to help.  He likes being a shitbag, and will never change, me helping him would just fuck my life up big time, and accomplish jack shit, as he will be back in prison soon, I'd just delay it by helping, and uck my own life up. Fuck that. Best I can do is write him off, and keep that shit totally out of my life.

You admitting enabling him is an exceptionally Bad Ideatm. ^^^
View Quote

I'm not really sure why you even asked the question, never-mind entertaining the thought you should help (enable) him again.

m
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll give my personal example.

My father moved here after getting out of jail and my sister was nice enough to let him stay with her and give him a chance to get back on his feet. He certainly wasn't in the same category as your brother with violent crimes, but still a felon. After about a year staying with her he still had no job, no prospects of one and had done nothing really to get his shit together.

They showed up at my door asking if he could stay with me, sorry nope and I am not even going to breakfast with yall as I don't want the guilt trip. If he couldn't get his shit together living for a year with my sister he's going to do worse with my (was) alcoholic ass. Sorry pops you need to figure your own shit out and be a fucking adult, I just bought a house and moved in with gf, no way in hell I am going from new homeowner to living with dad again but i get to pay all the bills.

I felt a little bad about it and explained it to him later on but he was about a million times better off because of it despite how ungrateful he might think me. He would still be living here a dozen years later or dead if i would have taken him in.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You're not the asshole. He is for asking.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's all I needed to read to know you are not the asshole.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Completely cut my brother and mother out of my life years ago for very similar circumstances.

No ragrets
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#11]
My oldest friend is similar but nothing violent. Fuck him.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Background.

Started at 12 years old, sketchy shit, theft, stealing car stereos, doing, buying, selling drugs, etc.  constant problems, my mother would be fighting in court to get him out of trouble, while he’s got 3-4 more pending cases, just endless bullshit. Stole my car, her car, her paycheck, wrote bad checks on her, 1000 other things.  Narced on everyone he knew / did undercover stings on friends, multiple times for reduced sentences, She coddled him, did everything possible to protect him from consequences.  

Sketchy shit,  didn’t pay a speeding ticket, turned into a warrant while on parole,  cops tried to arrest at traffic stop, he runs , wrecks car, car jacks a dude, cops looking for him, mom gives him $5k to “ run “. He goes to Miami with his wife, calls a week later broke. Almost gets his wife raped by Miami shitbirds, who also steal his car. Now, Can’t get home. ( wife took bus home,)  I flat refuse to help, say the cops will happily ship him back for free. A few days later, My mom borrows my truck a few days later to buy a couch… then claims it was stolen. I report it stolen, etc. Turns out she gave it to his wife, to drive 1800 miles to Miami to fetch him. perfectly happy to fuck me over, simply to help enable him.

he’s 52 now, spent 1/2 his life in prison, never worked a job, EVER.  Mom died 2 years into his 20 years, so, no more enabling.

He calls me expecting to move in. I say fuck off, turn your life around, maybe I’ll talk to you. He gets a high school buddy to get him a job waiting tables, and sleeping on dudes couch. A month later he carjacks a 16 year old at knife point, caught, parole revoked. That was 2-3 years ago.  Apparently 5 years remaining sentence and 2 carjackings = being released with 3 years, because apparently he was released again.

Now… today. He calls me from North Carolina, is in a shelter, wants money, to get his life started, get SS card, license, blah blah. ( same thing 3 years earlier ).

I tell him this.

I told you before, turn your life around and prove your worth associating with. What did you do ? Carjacked a 16 year old girl. Your a shitbag, always have been, always will be. I’m not letting you, or your bullshit near my life, much less into if. Number blocked.

Obviously I feel kinda bad deep inside, as I SHOULD help out, as a Christian I should, etc. The fact is though, Iv seen him “ helped out “, dozens of times, never changes, and fucks over anyone who tries to help.  He likes being a shitbag, and will never change, me helping him would just fuck my life up big time, and accomplish jack shit, as he will be back in prison soon, I’d just delay it by helping, and uck my own life up. Fuck that. Best I can do is write him off, and keep that shit totally out of my life.

View Quote

Holy shit, do I have an alternate screen name on here, and forgot I wrote this about my lil bro??? Every family has one...

Fuck no, you are not the asshole...Family is all that matters in life, except when those family members suck ass, and then they are not family anymore, they are "just people" and fuck "just people"

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tough love is required. You are not the asshole. Don't become an enabler.
View Quote

He burned every bridge twice over. You owe him nothing.

And thanks for making me appreciate the two outstanding Gentlemen I was blessed with for brothers.

Sorry about your luck.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Forget him and completely cut him from your life.

My brother is a 1%er, sister cooks Meth. Haven’t talked to sister in 20 plus years. Tried to help my brother 12 years ago and he stole my 1 yr old 4x4 truck, haven’t talked to him since

My parents a deceased. The rest of my family does not know my address or phone number. I am ok if I never see or hear from them again
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Fuck that piece of shit.  

I would have completely cut off all communication many years ago.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I had a brother like that the only time I’d ever see him again would be at his funeral to make sure he was actually dead.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope. You're not guilty. In fact, you saved you're other loved ones from harm. Good shun.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope

OP, live your life and be happy.
You can’t save sone people; just be glad he doesn’t live next door.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mom should be in prison too, fuck em both.

Oops, missed that line.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you want to help him, or enable his criminal behavior and lifestyle?

You already know the answer.  You're not the asshole.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#21]
My sister is a meth addict. I can't help her. I won't help her.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#22]
No you should not feel bad. Not even a little bit.

Next time give him the “new number who dis?”
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Your not an ass hole.  Brother had a kid young with his girlfriend years ago as teens. They never married. She got into drugs and later so did the kid when he got older. Kid has basically disappeared and we presume he is dead. Mom and the kid have several convictions related to drugs, theft etc. They aren't allowed around and not in the will.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Overall, i'd say not the asshole, but i'd nitpick one thing having been around a handful of folks that turned their lives around:  "always will be"

God's grace is sufficient for your brother just like it was for you and me.  These guys think they will always be criminal losers partially because they hear things like that all over and over again.  And believe me, those words stick. The very first step to getting squared away is realizing that they don't have to be what they are.  To some of these guys, that's a revelation.  

No money for you and stay away from my family?  Darn right.  But you always will be what you are?  Man, I would want a mulligan on that one in the worst of ways.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm sorry you have to deal with that OP.  It is a shame they let people like that out of prison.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I would have changed my telephone number long ago
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Cut him off.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Forgiveness requires repentance.  Doesn't sound like he's reached that point.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Usually the only way people truly turn their life around is when they hit rock bottom and have no other place to go.
You can send down a ladder knowing he'll climb up a few rungs only to fall down again by giving him money.
You can throw down a pickaxe and allow him to dig himself deeper by calling him a 'shitbag' etc... when you know he already knows that and probably doesn't need to hear it from his brother.
Finally, you can actually help by sorta doing what you're already doing- let him figure his way out. When he gets out, support the shit out of him as long as you 100% know he's reformed.
Vegas odds are against him ever getting there, but I've had two friends go from homeless and on meth to being youth minsters after doing God knows what to survive.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#30]
If there was a way to pay the driver's license fee directly I'd do that. There isn't so fuck him.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I believe you are right to not enable him any further.  Benevolent groups like the Salvation Army will help him if he is really and truly serious.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#32]
OP, You aren't being an asshole.  Brothers made his bed and has to lie in it.  If you feel guilty you can send me $20 and that might make you feel better.  But no guarantees.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#33]
It’s just A Matter of Time. Culling The Herd.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I had a brother like that the only time I’d ever see him again would be at his funeral to make sure he was actually dead.

This

Seconded.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Your not the asshole if it was my brother I probably put him down myself, to old to change life now probably kill somebody one day.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#36]
You did the right thing. 99% of folks go to prison only to come out way worse than they were when they went in.

If you care about your immediate family you better make sure that POS stays clear. I know fuckers just like him and they NEVER get better.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I believe you are right to not enable him any further.  Benevolent groups like the Salvation Army will help him if he is really and truly serious.
View Quote

Agreed.  Deadbeat bother needs an immersive halfway house that is serious about delivering results and ran by someone with a hard nose.  One of the several faith-based ones in my town absolutely gets it done; it is get with the program or get back in prison.  I've seen it go both ways.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I would tell him that I enjoy telling him no.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#39]
You don’t need him in your life. I have a druggie sister who I haven’t spoken to in over 6 years, best decision I’ve made.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Good job cutting your losses and keeping bullshit out of your life OP! He's made his bed (over and over again from the sounds of it] and can live out what's left of his shitty life learning how stupid all those bad choices were...
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#41]
You are doing the right thing OP. Your brother is the asshole here, not you.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#42]
it's fucked up that after all that crap and all these years he still calls you for help, and it's fucked up you took his call. doesn't make you an asshole.

fuck him

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Your not the asshole if it was my brother I probably put him down myself, to old to change life now probably kill somebody one day.
View Quote

The most hair raising thing i ever heard was a father of a similar character to OP's brother tell me and another man the following:  "If you ever have a son get into meth and stealin' like mine, just put them in the ground.  I don't know what I'm going to do if he gets out of prison."

The father is a good guy.  Did just about everything he could.  Loved his kids.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#44]
couple close relatives maybe not in same boat but were going same direction.

one got drunk, shot a cop, and the other was a nuclear engineer with cushy gov job and blew it due to drugs.  both did their prison time and it seemed to help.  neither seem interested in going back to prison and they are doing ok now.

what's the difference in people who change their lives and people like your bro who will just do it again?  no clue.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#45]
You're an asshole for how you talked to him. He's not living right, but he's your bro and he's a human. Just tell him "no" and why but don't be mean. Tell him you'll help but to give him money would not be helpful.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Reading this, I looked around my office thinking you were sitting behind me and have been shadowing my life for 20 years.
This is almost exactly what I have been dealing with my older brother.
The bible says to love your brother and take care of one another but at some point, you have to let them go.
You should not feel bad for you decision

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#47]
No way I would invite that drama and liability into my life.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#48]
To me, blood is NOT thicker than water. I have a couple of cousins that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. I wouldn't lift a finger to help this guy, brother or not.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Tough love is required. You are not the asshole. Don't become an enabler.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#50]
How the fuck did this shitbird manage to commit multiple carjackings without being shot in the face?   I guess it's a fairly safe venture, if you prey on 16 year old girls....

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top