Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#1]
In my drives up and down the ALCAN, I found many Canadian gas stations close at night. Just an FYI.

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I lived "North of Number 7" during the summer.  If you were exceptionally stupid, the locals would say that you "lived north of Number 7," the TC highway.  I drove parts of it every Thursday and Sunday nights.  No. 7 is hardly a highway for some of its length.  It's like a Route 40 in the states.  There are lots of little motels and eateries.  And the truck traffic is wild.  My suggestion is when you get to Marmora, head south to Sterling and then pick up the 401 to Thousand Islands.  The 401 is a great road, and the scenery near TI is worth it.  Try to hit it in the daylight.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my drives up and down the ALCAN, I found many Canadian gas stations close at night. Just an FYI.

Aviator
View Quote

I'm trying to plan accordingly, so that I don't find myself "needing" to stop for gas in some remote and possibly poorly served location.

And I'm using my wife's Chevy Cruze for this trip, which has a 15.5 gallon tank and averages about 35 MPG on the highway (as opposed to my Trailblazer SS, which has a lot more room overall, but only averages 16 MPG highway).
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Fail. You drive a bunch through Nebraska and Kansas and completely miss Colorado.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fail. You drive a bunch through Nebraska and Kansas and completely miss Colorado.
View Quote

I used t work 1 week a month in Loveland. Explored the state from top to bottom and even managed to do two 14s (I was much younger then). Almost bought a home in the Durango area, at one point.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I used t work 1 week a month in Loveland. Explored the state from top to bottom and even managed to do two 14s (I was much younger then). Almost bought a home in the Durango area, at one point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, you are excused. However be prepared for suckitude. :p
I was just in Loveland yesterday...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

My condolences...

Actually thinking about spending most of the time in western Canada and then a day and a half in SD, then just power drive the 1600 miles home from there.in two days or less.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My condolences...

Actually thinking about spending most of the time in western Canada and then a day and a half in SD, then just power drive the 1600 miles home from there.in two days or less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My condolences...

I grew up there. It's awesome. Wait.. no , it sucks, everyone stay away!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#9]
It would be crazy not do drive through Canada ...the exchange rate is hugely in your favor . Lots of great hotels along the way

You should drive through Kelowna though, and spend the night in wine country , then continue through Vernon to Revelstoke, where you would be back on your original route if you had gone through Kamloops

The drive is spectacular through the Rock Mountains ( Kicking horse pass and Rogers pass ) . You can see the spiral tunnel between Field and Kicking horse where the train actually loops right through the mountain

Needless to say the drive through Yoho and Banff national park is awesome

If you want to save some time, you should take the Coquihalla Hwy towards Kelowna  / Kamloops since its much faster and 2 lanes all the way . The more scenic Highway 3 is nice but its hard to pass slow vehicles  in lots of areas

You are not giving up too much, since the Coqhihalla route is pretty scenic .

PM if you want some hotel recommendations. I have made the Vancouver to Calgary drive more times than I can count

Don't worry about net access.....every Starbucks, Tim Hortons etc has Wi Fi . Surprisingly good cell coverage along entire route . All the park visitor centers have wi fi

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It would be crazy not do drive through Canada ...the exchange rate is hugely in your favor . Lots of great hotels along the way

You should drive through Kelowna though, and spend the night in wine country , then continue through Vernon to Revelstoke, where you would be back on your original route if you had gone through Kamloops

The drive is spectacular through the Rock Mountains ( Kicking horse pass and Rogers pass ) . You can see the spiral tunnel between Field and Kicking horse where the train actually loops right through the mountain

Needless to say the drive through Yoho and Banff national park is awesome

If you want to save some time, you should take the Coquihalla Hwy towards Kelowna  / Kamloops since its much faster and 2 lanes all the way . The more scenic Highway 3 is nice but its hard to pass slow vehicles  in lots of areas

You are not giving up too much, since the Coqhihalla route is pretty scenic .

PM if you want some hotel recommendations. I have made the Vancouver to Calgary drive more times than I can count

Don't worry about net access.....every Starbucks, Tim Hortons etc has Wi Fi . Surprisingly good cell coverage along entire route . All the park visitor centers have wi fi

View Quote

So given a choice you think I would prefer a day in the Kelowna area to one in Kamloops?  

Thanks for the info on Wi-Fi and cell coverage.

And if you have suggestion for decent hotels to stop at and/or specific places to eat I shouldn't miss, they would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#11]
You have no real need to head up to Kamloops once you head out of Kelowna.
You will tire of the traffic in the Okanagan this time of year and be happy once you hit the TCH and head east at Sicamous.
From there it's an easy 6 hour drive through the Rogers Pass and The Kicking Horse Pass where you cross the Continental Divide.
You will love the scenery !
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would do one or the other, not both.  I'm presuming that Kelowna is a better place to spend a day?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If your route takes you through E. WA let me know, I love showing off my hometown.
Wenatchee, WA
View Quote

Yeah...but you're on fire right now...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks for the offer, but my wife wants me to see the Cascades so we will be taking the northern loop, picking up 20 west of Spokane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your route takes you through E. WA let me know, I love showing off my hometown.
Wenatchee, WA

Thanks for the offer, but my wife wants me to see the Cascades so we will be taking the northern loop, picking up 20 west of Spokane.

Hwy 2 would take you across the Cascades into Eastern Wa.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Passport is not an issue.

My wife is from Washington, that would be why we are going to her high school reunion there. She also went to Whitman College in Walla Walla, so is pretty familiar with the southeast corner of the state as well as the northwest; she's actually travelled all overt he state and has a pretty fair idea of what to see.. She's been through most of the Cascade range and wanted me to see at least part of it. That was some of the motivation for the driving part of this trip.

As I said in an earlier post, we will be doing the north Cascades loop on the way out on the way between Spokane and Oak Harbor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good point.  It could change your plans...

If so, then go through Stevens Pass so your wife can experience the Cascades.  Stop in Leavenworth and stay there of Wenatchee for the first day.  Then head to Idaho/Montana so you can see more mountains!!!  Take lots of pictures because you won't see any more for the rest of your trip!!!

Passport is not an issue.

My wife is from Washington, that would be why we are going to her high school reunion there. She also went to Whitman College in Walla Walla, so is pretty familiar with the southeast corner of the state as well as the northwest; she's actually travelled all overt he state and has a pretty fair idea of what to see.. She's been through most of the Cascade range and wanted me to see at least part of it. That was some of the motivation for the driving part of this trip.

As I said in an earlier post, we will be doing the north Cascades loop on the way out on the way between Spokane and Oak Harbor.

Be aware that while it is a pretty spectacular drive..Hwy 20   can be a bit tricky. nmd  see what you mean by "northern loop
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't l Iive in Philly, just a convenient reference point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heading back to Philly proves that your insane.

That's what I was thinking, too.

I don't l Iive in Philly, just a convenient reference point.

well, no sane person willingly drives to Philly.  Through it is bad enough.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would do one or the other, not both.  I'm presuming that Kelowna is a better place to spend a day?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.
Let me know when you are coming through Calgary, it's very nice here in August and you will probably want to spend a night here.
I can point you out to some good food and drink spots.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
well, no sane person willingly drives to Philly.  Through it is bad enough.
View Quote

You live in NJ  [/irony]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like my son might fly out to Seattle and join me for the road trip back. Would be nice father/son experience. He's 22 and in college so I don't know how many more chance we would get to do something like this.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top