BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As one poster about stated, Troy was a myth until it was found by Heinrich Schliemann. I would imagine that there might be some truth to the legend of Atlantis that is more than the play on morality people attribute to Plato

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
As one poster about stated, Troy was a myth until it was found by Heinrich Schliemann. I would imagine that there might be some truth to the legend of Atlantis that is more than the play on morality people attribute to Plato

Quoted:
I really really want to know if Atlantis was a real city.

You should really look up Akrotiri, on the island of Thera, now called Santorini.  I've always been interested in that story, and I'm pretty satisfied that it was about Thera.  Even if it's not, the art they've recovered and what they've learned about the place is simply amazing.  What's even more amazing is that anything existed at all on that island after the largest volcanic eruption in human history.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:42:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Can you elaborate on that?

Is this an assertion they would not be able to mine that site, or that they would have no inclination to mine that site?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...Interesting stuff ... natives certainly didn't mine it since they never advanced beyond stone age technology.

Is this an assertion they would not be able to mine that site, or that they would have no inclination to mine that site?

They had no knowledge of metallurgy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Wikipedia is hardly an authoritative source
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_mining_in_Michigan#Native_American_mining
Native Americans were the first to mine and work the copper of Lake Superior and the Keweenaw Peninsula  of northern Michigan between 5000 BCE and 1200 BCE. The natives used this copper to produce tools. Archaeological expeditions in the Keweenaw Peninsula and Isle Royale revealed the existence of copper producing pits and hammering stones which were used to work the copper. Fringe writers have suggested that as much as 1.5 billion pounds of copper was extracted during this period, but archaeologists consider such high figures as "ill-constructed estimates" and that the actual figure is unknown.

So the Native American's never mined for Copper you guys say, uh?

The sources/references for the wiki document include universities, archeologists and archeological books.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:44:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe it's a stretch, but it's an interesting read no less.  

Did the Phoenicians Discover the New World

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...Interesting stuff ... natives certainly didn't mine it since they never advanced beyond stone age technology.

So, no inclination? How is mining copper fundamentally different from mining gold, or silver?
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:47:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So, no inclination? How is mining copper fundamentally different from mining gold, or silver?
View Quote

It's easier?
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:48:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#9]
The Minoans had quite a reach in the Med. And yes, it's suprising that the island even exists after that cataclysm

Quoted:

You should really look up Akrotiri, on the island of Thera, now called Santorini.  I've always been interested in that story, and I'm pretty satisfied that it was about Thera.  Even if it's not, the art they've recovered and what they've learned about the place is simply amazing.  What's even more amazing is that anything existed at all on that island after the largest volcanic eruption in human history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:51:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Between that and ancient aliens here's a lot of neat stuff in those types of shows that I like to hear about.   Most of it you take with a grain of salt but a lot of it is downright fascinating.

Some of the best topics ive found:

- Mayan/native american migrations to the american southeast

- Orion alignments of major sites all across the world

- South African gold mines estimated to be 100K+ years old

- radioactive ancient sites in India and Pakistan
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:52:49 AM EDT
[#11]
All the speculation aside, I'm curious as to we seem to insist that just because they didn't have OUR technology that the ancients were

stupid?
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:53:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:54:08 AM EDT
[#13]
The theory about Mohenjo-Daro and Harappa being nuked is very intriguing

Quoted:
Between that and ancient aliens here's a lot of neat stuff in those types of shows that I like to hear about.   Most of it you take with a grain of salt but a lot of it is downright fascinating.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

All the speculation aside, I'm curious as to we seem to insist that just because they didn't have OUR technology that the ancients were

View Quote

stupid?

That's a stupid idea. If you gave the ancient people our moderns tools and science, they'd be discovering new things just as often as we do today.

The only difference is they didn't have the technology to make those discoveries.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:56:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is such thing as background radiation ya know...... radiations is everywhere. Not just man-made.

Places like this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsar,_Mazandaran

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:56:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Was likely based on the Minoan civilization and possible destruction by volcano (from memory krakatoa, I think).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Was likely based on the Minoan civilization and possible destruction by volcano (from memory krakatoa, I think).

Thera eruption.   Krakatoa was much later

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 5:58:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Minoans had quite a reach in the Med. And yes, it's suprising that the island even exists after that cataclysm
View Quote

I've told the wife that  before I die I will visit the place and see it for myself.    

Consider they were able to build this civilization and it was going strong around 1,600 BC.  Indoor plumbing, multi-story buildings, sea trade probably across the Eastern Mediterranean, only about 2-3,000 after the first civilization of recorded history.  

I like some of Graham Hancock's ideas that we are a civilization with amnesia, and that history may be a little older than we believe, so it wouldn't surprise me if we found something more older and advanced than previously thought.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:00:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_mining_in_Michigan#Native_American_mining

Native Americans were the first to mine and work the copper of Lake Superior and the Keweenaw Peninsula  of northern Michigan between 5000 BCE and 1200 BCE. The natives used this copper to produce tools. Archaeological expeditions in the Keweenaw Peninsula and Isle Royale revealed the existence of copper producing pits and hammering stones which were used to work the copper. Fringe writers have suggested that as much as 1.5 billion pounds of copper was extracted during this period, but archaeologists consider such high figures as "ill-constructed estimates" and that the actual figure is unknown.

So the Native American's never mined for Copper you guys say, uh?

that is such horseshit.  There are links to authoritative sources for the vast majority of wikipedia articles.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

your making a leap that technologically advanced = culturally advanced. many large societies existed for centuries without metal tools
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i cant say i particularly believe one theory over another, but i will say that we often dont want to believe in ancient advanced civilizations because (a) we want to believe we are the only ones and (b) we don't want to face the facts that advanced civilizations often lead to their demise.

If that were true, how come we're not digging up 8,000 year old plastic or carbon fiber?

Even more importantly, the natural resources that we have on the Earth are all undisturbed, except for the last 20K years or so. If any "advanced" civilization existed on a scale similar to ours, even millions of years ago, they would have likley mined and moved metals, drained oil, etc. Those resources all all still there, ancient, and there is no evidence of manufactured goods that pre-date modern humans, bar Axe heads in Africa from primitive species.

your making a leap that technologically advanced = culturally advanced. many large societies existed for centuries without metal tools

The Mayans never developed metal tools - not even a wheel, from what we know.  Still, they controlled a vast interlinked empire for thousand years or more, with elaborate political, legal, and social structures.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, I know.............but the levels of radiation they found there were much higher than background radiation, as well as pottery and bricks vitrified by a very high temp. I've also read the speculation that a meteor strike could do the same. It's an interesting site and even bigger mystery

Quoted:

There is such thing as background radiation ya know...... radiations is everywhere. Not just man-made.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:02:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

stupid?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

stupid?

That's a stupid idea. If you gave the ancient people our moderns tools and science, they'd be discovering new things just as often as we do today.

The only difference is they didn't have the technology to make those discoveries.

I agree with you.  It just seems to me that some view the ancients as somehow less intrinsically intelligent just because all of our available

technology hadn't been invented yet.  They may not make boats out of carbon fiber, but they still made boats.  That means they traveled and

explored, and sometimes had Eureka moments where they, too, discovered things by accident.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Is there a paycheck in it?

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:03:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd like to visit Greece as well and see Marathon, Thermopylae and a few other places there

Quoted:

I've told the wife that  before I die I will visit the place and see it for myself.    

Consider they were able to build this civilization and it was going strong around 1,600 BC.  Indoor plumbing, multi-story buildings, sea trade probably across the Eastern Mediterranean, only about 2-3,000 after the first civilization of recorded history.  

I like some of Graham Hancock's ideas that we are a civilization with amnesia, and that history may be a little older than we believe, so it wouldn't surprise me if we found something more older and advanced than previously thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The Mayans never developed metal tools - not even a wheel, from what we know.  Still, they controlled a vast interlinked empire for thousand years or more, with elaborate political, legal, and social structures.
View Quote

IIRC, they had wheels but didn't use them for building stuff, hauling, etc.

Why..........I have no idea.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:05:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, tracking.  I'm a nuke first responder.

The levels there are not natural levels in any way.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

or by the Vatican during the Dark Ages....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would be nice to have the knowledge that was destroyed in the Library of Alexandria.

You're joking I hope.

The Catholic monasteries and Universities were the last repository of Western learning during the dark ages. They preserved what we have today.

Without the Irish monks in particular, most western literature would be gone today.

Read: "How the Irish Saved Western Civilization" by Thomas Cahill for a quick overview.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:07:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Yes, I know.............but the levels of radiation they found there were much higher than background radiation, as well as pottery and bricks vitrified with a very high temp. I've also read the speculation that a meteor strike could do the same. It's an interesting site and even bigger mystery

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, I know.............but the levels of radiation they found there were much higher than background radiation, as well as pottery and bricks vitrified with a very high temp. I've also read the speculation that a meteor strike could do the same. It's an interesting site and even bigger mystery

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't buy it. I mean, you can take a radiation detection device, put it up against spent fuel. Then, compare that number and there are ALOT of cities that have higher background radiation than man made materials that give off radiation.

I forgot in what units they'd measured. But just as an example. They took the device and it was .3 units of radiation coming out of the spent fuel. Then, they were on a beach on brazil and put it on the BEACH SAND and it was reading at 30 units. As in the sandy Brazilian beach's background radiation was 100 times more radioactive then the man made stuff.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:07:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Was watching America Unearthed last night, where they hypothesized that during the copper age, there were copper mines being mined around Lake Superior in America by the Byzantines. It seems a bit, fat fetched, but maybe not so much. Anyone else enjoy this type of thing, or have any theories of their own?
http://goo.gl/H9XbG
View Quote

Okay, they mined all that copper.

Where is it? We find arrowheads and other artifacts all over the continent. Where's the stuff they made out of the copper? There would be artifacts, fire pits, tools, mines, and lore. The name of the person who proved that American Indians were smelting would be memorized by every archaeology student for the next two centuries. Anyone would naturally be skeptical, but he'd also know that if he found that evidence, he'd be an academic god.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:09:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Where is it? We find arrowheads and other artifacts all over the continent. Where's the stuff they made out of the copper? There would be artifacts, fire pits, tools, mines, and lore. The name of the person who proved that American Indians were smelting would be memorized by every archaeology student for the next two centuries. Anyone would naturally be skeptical, but he'd also know that if he found that evidence, he'd be an academic god.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was watching America Unearthed last night, where they hypothesized that during the copper age, there were copper mines being mined around Lake Superior in America by the Byzantines. It seems a bit, fat fetched, but maybe not so much. Anyone else enjoy this type of thing, or have any theories of their own?
http://goo.gl/H9XbG

Read it again.  He's not saying Americans mined the copper.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:11:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't buy it. I mean, you can take a radiation detection device, put it up against spent fuel. Then, compare that number and there are ALOT of cities that have higher background radiation than man made materials that give off radiation.

I forgot in what units they'd measured. But just as an example. They took the device and it was .3 units of radiation coming out of the spent fuel. Then, they were on a beach on brazil and put it on the BEACH SAND and it was reading at 30 units. As in the sandy Brazilian beach's background radiation was 100 times more radioactive then the man made stuff.

View Quote

If you don't even know what radiation is measured in you may want to lay off trying to make statements about it.

"Radiation detection device"?  Which one?  To detect what....Alpha?  Gamma?  Beta?  Xrays?  

Your opinion on the matter is noted.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:12:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point, I've seen toys that had them... just no tools.

It could just be a sort of, well, "irreducible complexity" situation.  Modern wheeled stuff can work in that environment, but primitive attempts?  Their stone was very soft limestone.  The soils were very soft as well.  Logs were plentiful, and probably worked for rolling, to a point.  Engineering anything beyond that?  Dunno.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Last year read a book called 1491. The author theorized that Native American societies were much more advanced than presumed. For example forestry, they would do planned fires to clean out the underbrush and make it better for game management.

I don't go along with all of his theories but some of them make a lot of sense, especially that the population used to be higher than suspected.
View Quote

Great read.
Pre-Columbus there were native American cities as big if not bigger than London or Paris.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Virtually all ancient Mediterranean and near eastern civilizations have some version of the flood myth as origin.

Some have forwarded the theory that the Mediterranean basin was not completely submerged prior to the flood, that the Bosporus/Dardanelles originally acted as a geographic dam (i.e., not man made) holding back water from the Black Sea which spilled into the Mediterranean basin and submerged ancient peoples virtually instantly.

Pretty good fodder for "what if" history.  It was relied on by Robert E. Howard in large part to create the stories set in the "Hyborian Age."

Close up of the modern geography of the Bosporus/Dardanelles:

Agean sea as it relates to the Mediterranean:

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:18:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

If you don't even know what radiation is measured in you may want to lay off trying to make statements about it.
View Quote

There are several ways to measure radiation. Curie, gray, rem, ect ect. Maybe the DOD has a standard for how they measure radiation, but it's not the only unit of measurement you can use.

Regardless, there are many sites that are hot with natural radiation.

But, I will look and report back on what they were measuring it in.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:20:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"Radiation detection device"?  Which one?  To detect what....Alpha?  Gamma?  Beta?  Xrays?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LoL everything's gotta turn into a pissing contest on here.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a cousin that is a Professor of Native American History... untainted by the white man...LOL. We had talked about his grandfather telling him about how the Vikings came and intermarried into the tribes. There are NAs with blue eyes. The Viking incursions predate Columbus. Look up Prince Henry the Navigator, a fellow Scotsman and his explorations
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:21:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would be nice to have the knowledge that was destroyed in the Library of Alexandria.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Virtually all ancient Mediterranean and near eastern civilizations have some version of the flood myth as origin.

Some have forwarded the theory that the Mediterranean basin was not completely submerged prior to the flood, that the Bosporus/Dardanelles originally acted as a geographic dam (i.e., not man made) holding back water from the Black Sea which spilled into the Mediterranean basin and submerged ancient peoples virtually instantly.

Pretty good fodder for "what if" history.  It was relied on by Robert E. Howard in large part to create the stories set in the "Hyborian Age."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/Turkish_Strait_disambig.svg/469px-Turkish_Strait_disambig.svg.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fe/Aegean_Sea_map.png/240px-Aegean_Sea_map.png
View Quote

The same thing is supposed to have happened to the entire Mediterranean Sea much much earlier.  I forget how long ago its theorized, but thought it was interesting.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/Turkish_Strait_disambig.svg/469px-Turkish_Strait_disambig.svg.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fe/Aegean_Sea_map.png/240px-Aegean_Sea_map.png
View Quote

Would also explain why some civilizations - like the Greeks - tell the story as happening to people far away, across a sea, while others - like the Jews, Sumerians, and Babylonians - tell it as having happened to the whole world.  It would all be a matter of perspective.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:23:28 AM EDT
[#40]
They used this device for detecting those radiations levels.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:23:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In b4 'it was aliens ' guy
View Quote

Why you gotta ruin da fun?
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
...Pre-Columbus there were native American cities as big if not bigger than London or Paris.
View Quote

Not even close.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:25:34 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you read something I haven't?  Navy nuke here and the levels at those sights are completely natural based on what I've seen.

Any links would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:25:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There are several ways to measure radiation. Curie, gray, rem, ect ect. Maybe the DOD has a standard for how they measure radiation, but it's not the only unit of measurement you can use.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Each unit of measurement measures something different, it's not an industry standard issue.  Some units measure human absorption while some measure the output levels of gamma/xray only.  But i'm sure you're busy wikipedia'ing that right now just like you did with the types of measurements.

You don't just "put a radiation detector up to it" and show that it's different.

Read up on it first before making an ass of yourself.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not even close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Pre-Columbus there were native American cities as big if not bigger than London or Paris.

Not even close.

Yeah, I've never heard of that either.

But I don't really know how big the Incan, etc., cities were though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:30:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't pull up the links on a gov computer but the show ancient aliens presents the sites as having large amounts of absorbed gamma and alpha in organic material found at the site, as well as vitirification and claims of trinitite being found there.

I'm not sold on it and all for an honest discussion on it but only with somebody who has a fucking clue what they are talking about, and isn't just running their suck.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Here is a really bizarre collection of alternative history:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/11/Peopleshistoryzinn.jpg/200px-Peopleshistoryzinn.jpg

View Quote

That's what I thought of.

And of course the Grail, the Ark and the other Ark.

Also trying to think what would really be a game changer.  The real game changer would be in our minds or psyche.  

Technology sort of gives and takes in the long run.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Agreed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

You're agreeing to be misinformed.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:38:50 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I can't pull up the links on a gov computer but the show ancient aliens presents the sites as having large amounts of absorbed gamma and alpha in organic material found at the site, as well as vitirification and claims of trinitite being found there.

I'm not sold on it and all for an honest discussion on it but only with somebody who has a fucking clue what they are talking about, and isn't just running their suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean like basing your entire arguments off of a television show on alternative history?

You're hardly speaking from a position of authority on this subject matter.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Ok, but then you have to deal with the areas of the city that have evidence of things being fused together.........most show evidence of being exposed to high temperatures, as well as burn marks on the walls and the like similar to a blast. I dont know what happened to the place, could be nothing, but it's interesting nonetheless  

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top