Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:01:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://ships.bouwman.com/Planes/747-cutaway.jpg'

I'm not saying its accurate, but I haven't seen into the nose of AF1 and neither have you...
View Quote

That's a concept drawing of the USAF Airborne Laser System. (ABL).

The plane is now in the 39th AMARG Boneyard in Tucson.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:10:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
AF-1 is designed with high tech countermeasure systems - I do not know the specifics, but you can bet that it has chaff and flare dispensers at a minimum, along with some sort of dazzler system to confuse laser guided missiles.

View Quote

And what laser guided missiles are a threat to an airborne plane? I don't think there is any laser guided missile that is not anti tank. Guess it can be helpful if it is parked. But I think there would be bigger issues to worry about if that were the case.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:17:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ronnie would clean their clocks at 1,000 yards.

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/photographs/large/C18587-24.jpg
View Quote

Wow.  Shitty trigger discipline there Ron!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8117/8709601282_179bbcc755_z.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying its accurate, but I haven't seen into the nose of AF1 and neither have you...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8117/8709601282_179bbcc755_z.jpg

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:46:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And what laser guided missiles are a threat to an airborne plane? I don't think there is any laser guided missile that is not anti tank. Guess it can be helpful if it is parked. But I think there would be bigger issues to worry about if that were the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AF-1 is designed with high tech countermeasure systems - I do not know the specifics, but you can bet that it has chaff and flare dispensers at a minimum, along with some sort of dazzler system to confuse laser guided missiles.

ADATS and the RBS-70.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:43:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm sure it has flares or chaff to distract incoming.  I wonder if it has any jamming capabilities?
View Quote

I'm told that it has an impressive entertainment system.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:54:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What would you shoot at, exactly?  I doubt any country is stupid enough to shoot it down with a fighter, which leaves guerrillas with shitty ancient Soviet MANPAD systems.
View Quote
I believe there are hundreds of Stingers out there...

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:45:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Laser guided anti-air missiles?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:50:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

ADATS and the RBS-70.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ADATS and the RBS-70.

That just seems like a terrible idea, aircraft tend to be moving pretty quick and relying on a laser track seems, ill-advised.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:53:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RBS_70
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:54:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That just seems like a terrible idea, aircraft tend to be moving pretty quick and relying on a laser track seems, ill-advised.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ADATS and the RBS-70.

RBS-70 can take down cruise missiles.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:58:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ADATS and the RBS-70.

Some newer short-range systems use a variation of the SARH technique, but based on laser illumination instead of radar. These have the advantage of being small and very fast acting, as well as highly accurate. A few older designs use purely optical tracking and command guidance, perhaps the best known example of this is the British Rapier system, which was initially an all-optical system with high accuracy.

But what I meant to say was infrared tracking, not laser like a typical ATGM, like the Javelin or a Hellfire.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:10:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ronnie would clean their clocks at 1,000 yards.

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/photographs/large/C18587-24.jpg
View Quote

Fucking Fudd.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Our enemies are pleased how Obama is destroying the country from within, why would they target AF1?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:56:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Our enemies are pleased how Obama is destroying the country from within, why would they target AF1?
View Quote

Post of the day!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I saw a Smithsonian documentary about the 747 recently.  They had an Air Force One pilot talking about the plane, and when he mentioned the classified defenses Air Force One has... well I don't know why, but I got the distinct impression that it might have offensive weaponry on board.  Not just countermeasures, but offensive weapons.  The more I thought about it, the more it made sense.  I figure it would be fairly easy to retrofit a 747 with a retractable gun turret or a weapons bay with missiles.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I've no idea. But google found a picture of FBHO...

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Couldn't tell you. I'd guess they could sneak some missile in, like the vertical launch tubes they started putting in the puff the magic dragons? Those where for hell fires I believe, but it guess they could do something similar with side widners or whatever anti aircraft missile is of choice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've no idea. But google found a picture of FBHO...

http://cryptome.org/info/obama-protect19/pict17.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#20]
of course it does. It'll also do an inverted 4-G negative dive.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Does it need them?

AF1 was here a few weeks ago and there were F-16s all aver the place.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm going to say that is not an accurate representation of a VC-25.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#23]
This has the makings of an awesome B-Movie sequel to Air Force One.

"Air Force One:  Desert Strike"

I would pay to see it.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When threatened, it turns into a big-assed robot.

Nick

View Quote

POMPOUS-ASS PRIME?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Why do you want to know?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top