BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So what kind of paperwork did you sign when you picked it up?

I bet you shot yourself in the foot.

You should have reported it stolen and started the paperwork.

I did not sign anything other than the charge slip for my CC. Signed by X.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting situation.  I think I'd start with the management of your parking lot.  Look at it this way, The tow company did provide the "service" of towing your car - regardless of the situation.  Unless the mistake was theirs, they definitelly are going to want to get paid for the work.  

The question is, just who screwed up?  Is it the tow truck's responsibility to patrol and pick-up on their own, based on the tags?  If so, they messed up because you had your rear tag displayed - even if the front one had falled down (which could have happened while they were towing it).  And if you can't get any satisfaction from them - make it clear that you'll be coming down hard on the parking-lot management too, putting the tow contract at risk.

But if the tow company only picks up cars upon call - then IMHO they are blameless, you need to take it out on whoever called.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Taggage for outcome
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the idea about the HOA members having their parking permits/stickers removed myself.

On a side note, My BIL recently had his truck repo'd in the middle of the night. I guess they woke up in the morning, and the truck was gone and there was a note on the door from the company. Apparently his wife controls the checkbook and pays the bills. From what I hear, she has a habit of spending money, with no sign of where it went. She told my MIL that "We didnt have enough money for a couple months, so I just sent the bank $17". hen
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In some jurisdictions, towing companies are regulated/monitored by the local police department.  I would have made a criminal complaint.  Your car had the permits required to park in the lot and they had no legal authority to tow it away.

+1

and if that didn't work i'd have made their lives miserable in other ways the COC will not allow me to explain.

Excactly!
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Whatever you do, don't put an unlit cigar in the gas tank of their tow vehicles.

That cigar will start to break down and then plug up the fuel filter.  They'll have to change the filter only to have it plug again and again.  I'm guessing they would have to remove the gas tanks and flush them to clear up that problem.

So, don't do that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I paid with a CC. I am thinking that I may have to dispute the charge, but who knows...

+1.

I would have gone there and called a cop, reporting it stolen.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You mean tow truck drivers are NOT the rescuing heroes of the road???  

That ain't no shit! I used to be an auto adjuster, so I've been to every tow lot in KC. They will steal everything out of cars they tow. If you leave ANYTHING in your car and it gets towed for ANY reason, it's gone! I would go out and look at cars after accidents and the contents would be cleaned out. The owners of the cars would ask me if I saw _____ in the car when I looked at it. I would answer and ask why? They would then tell me that ___ was in the car before the wreck and is missing now. This happened MANY, MANY times. In fact one tow yard has a sign that says " We are not theives. If you call us theives we will add $25 to your charges. If you cuss at us we will add $25 for every cuss word." Hmm, do think they are admitting something when it happens so often that they have to make a sign at their office door to address it? And they're all the same, no tow company is any better than the others. They're all scum!  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#11]
btt with update
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#12]
That's fucked up man.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#13]
You really should have called the police. They might not do anything but if they keep getting complaints about this sort of thing they'll zero in on these assholes.

I would be willing to bet that if you went thru small claims that you would be able to recoup MORE than your damages for this type of behavior.

Finally, it sounds like you live in a shithole. I'd think about that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#14]
times like this would call for a surpressor and a single shot through their engin block, yeah they probly have insurance but having the truck down will cost them money
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#15]
HUH, thats a strange development. I suggest you use each and every legal means at your disposal. But it's strange the way the world works. These places have insurance for stuff i'm sure. So if suppose God struck the building with lightining  and it burned down to the ground I'm sure it would be covered by insurance. the problem is those insurance people are as scummy as the towers so they will for sure raise the premiums forever and ever and ever. So sad.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Whatever you do, don't put an unlit cigar in the gas tank of their tow vehicles.

That cigar will start to break down and then plug up the fuel filter.  They'll have to change the filter only to have it plug again and again.  I'm guessing they would have to remove the gas tanks and flush them to clear up that problem.

So, don't do that.

And most definitely don't coat that cigar with sugar before forcing it in.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just returned home after spending $100 and an hour of my time getting my car back from the fine & upstanding folks at the local towing impound lot down the street.

They state that I do not have a permit to park in the parking lot where I live. They are right - I have two permits. One on the dash board & one in the back wind shield.

I called the fine folks at the local towing impound lot and I attempted to explain the situation to them slowly and in easy to understand terms. They returned the gesture by stating that if I want my car back that it will be $100 today, or $150 tomorrow, etc... I said how about I call the police and report the car stolen. They then hung up on me.

I called a cab, went to the lot, paid the $100 and drove away with my car and the two permits.
It is still a beautiful day outside. Looks like Christmas came early for me this year...

What did the police say?

What did your CC company say?

I did not call the police - I made a tactical decision to use the CC company to recoup the $100. I was going to wait for the statement to come in the mail, unless there is something to gain from acting now.

You made a bad tactical decision.  The CC company is not going to do anything to help you.  You signed the receipt which means you agreed to the charges.  There is nothing left ot dispute.  Now if they didn't give you your car back then you could dispute it but they completed their obligations of releasing your car.  Your best bet will be to hound the home owners association for your $100 but I'm betting you will get nowhere with them.  Small claims court is the only place where you will have someone listen to your side of the story.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#18]
SEnd them on a wild goose chase.  Go to a pay phone and stll them you have been in a wreck and need a tow.  In prime time traffice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
ETA Update 2: Unfortunately, the car was stolen this morning. Just got done filing a report with the police department and calling the insurance company. Just had about $700 worth of work done on it last Friday. I got a new radiator, etc for Christmas! Now I am really pissed off! At least they had the decency to take out our baby's car seat and leave it where the car was parked!
Happy new year, eh!
Is it 2007 yet?

Seems very suspicious.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You made a bad tactical decision.  The CC company is not going to do anything to help you.  You signed the receipt which means you agreed to the charges.  There is nothing left ot dispute.  Now if they didn't give you your car back then you could dispute it but they completed their obligations of releasing your car.  Your best bet will be to hound the home owners association for your $100 but I'm betting you will get nowhere with them.  Small claims court is the only place where you will have someone listen to your side of the story.

Correct.
Sounds as if HIPPO is not wise to the ways of the world and that is exactly what these sorts of assholes are looking for. Time to learn how it all works.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Dude, this is jacked up.

Stick it to the tow company.  You need police involvement.  And stay away from sugar coated cigars.  

And move the hell out of dodge.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#22]
So, these tow truck guys can screw with people and still keep all their body parts?

Strange world.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Tagged.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Good Lord man.  You seriously need to move.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tagged.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#26]
And don't put mothballs in the gas tank either, I've heard that's bad for engines.

1911fan

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top