BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Such as...?  I know.  Nicotine.  Either propylene glycol, vegetable Glycerin or a mixture of both.  Flavor.  Whatever base is used for the flavor(water, alcohol, PG, etc).  Is it 100% safe and healthy?  Don't know, but I would be willing to bet the farm it's safer and healthier than analogs by leaps and bounds.

So a good diet consists of eating a Whopper Jr. instead of a Double Whopper?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You're still sucking down nicotine.

Which in and of itself is harmless....
Tomatoes, eggplant and other foods contain low levels of nicotine....
Also, the ecig vapor contains less nicotine than real smokes...but enough to kill any cravings for it...

The biggest thing for me is that the E-cig breaks my affinity for lighters, ashtrays and eleminated the ritual of smoking.
It also takes away all the nasty chemicals and the nasty smell of smoking...so it kills my desire for real cigarettes....

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, the ecig vapor contains less nicotine than real smokes...but enough to kill any cravings for it...

The biggest thing for me is that the E-cig breaks my affinity for lighters, ashtrays and eleminated the ritual of smoking.

It also takes away all the nasty chemicals and the nasty smell of smoking...so it kills my desire for real cigarettes....

Can't believe I missed this thread.  I've been using an ecig for a few years now, congrats on moving over.  I've recently fallen profoundly in love with bottom feeding box mods.  Here's a pic, because there aren't enough in this thread.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that it's better than real smokes, but TANSTAAFL is a universal rule. It always applies.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Such as...?  I know.  Nicotine.  Either propylene glycol, vegetable Glycerin or a mixture of both.  Flavor.  Whatever base is used for the flavor(water, alcohol, PG, etc).  Is it 100% safe and healthy?  Don't know, but I would be willing to bet the farm it's safer and healthier than analogs by leaps and bounds.

No, it's like eating a celery stick instead of a Whopper jr...

Ever go to a night club with a fog machine?
That is basically what you are breathing from an ecig in MUCH lower ammounts...
It IS much SAFER than any regular cigarette.
Go with smoke juice with American made ingredients and your golden...

I can breath better...I can run 3 miles and am not out of breath (first time I have EVER been able to do that).
I have more energy and I don't smell like shit....
All because I don't have my mouth over the tail pipe of a '57 Chevy....I'm not inhaling 4,000 + chemicals.

Only a long term smoker would really understand...
Nicotine and the smoking ritual is VERY powerful and extremly hard to break.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that it's better than real smokes, but TANSTAAFL is a universal rule. It always applies.

Understood...
The E-cig does take some getting used to...and it also takes a desire to quit...
But at least it made it possible for me to get myelf off of cigarettes and onto something that carries an extremly low risk.

Nothing in and of itself is absolutely harmless....
taking a shower carries a small cancer risk for instance...
http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/content/cancer/art2600.html
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a fail comparison.  The only difference between those is size, ingredients stay the same.

Google the differences between smoking(combustion; hundreds or thousands of chemicals) and e-cigs(vaporizing; propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, flavoring, nicotine).  A better, yet still not spot-on, comparison would be more like..."so a good diet consists of drinking coffee rather than hammering down energy drinks."

Yes, either way you're still getting nicotine.  The point of an e-cigarette is to help someone get over the physical and mental addiction to cigarettes, and gradually step down the nic level on their e-liquids until they're at 0 nicotine.  Although the FDA won't back these, some reading and everyday common sense shows how much safer these are than smoking.  A lot of you may point your fingers and say it's a crutch, or have that "quit or die" attitude...but face it, quitting cigarettes isn't easy and is often referred to as being harder to quit than heroin.  In my ten years of pack-a-day smoking(more when stressed or drinking), I tried to quit at least three times...the last time lasted a week, but then I ran right back to them.  With my e-cig, I don't have that problem, I have NO desire at all for a cigarette.  I feel healthier, I'm saving money, and I've already kicked my nic level down since starting.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood...
The E-cig does take some getting used to...and it also takes a desire to quit...
But at least it made it possible for me to get myelf off of cigarettes and onto something that carries an extremly low risk.

Nothing in and of itself is absolutely harmless....
taking a shower carries a small cancer risk for instance...
http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/content/cancer/art2600.html

Yeah, but the health benefits of proper hygene far outweigh.

You should have linked the study that proposed nicotine helps reduce the odds of Parkinsons occurring. That seems more analogous.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a fail comparison.  The only difference between those is size, ingredients stay the same.

Google the differences between smoking(combustion; hundreds or thousands of chemicals) and e-cigs(vaporizing; propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, flavoring, nicotine).  A better, yet still not spot-on, comparison would be more like..."so a good diet consists of drinking coffee rather than hammering down energy drinks."

Yes, either way you're still getting nicotine.  The point of an e-cigarette is to help someone get over the physical and mental addiction to cigarettes, and gradually step down the nic level on their e-liquids until they're at 0 nicotine.  Although the FDA won't back these, some reading and everyday common sense shows how much safer these are than smoking.  A lot of you may point your fingers and say it's a crutch, or have that "quit or die" attitude...but face it, quitting cigarettes isn't easy and is often referred to as being harder to quit than heroin.  In my ten years of pack-a-day smoking(more when stressed or drinking), I tried to quit at least three times...the last time lasted a week, but then I ran right back to them.  With my e-cig, I don't have that problem, I have NO desire at all for a cigarette.  I feel healthier, I'm saving money, and I've already kicked my nic level down since starting.

Hell yes.

The fact of the matter is that there isn't a lot of good data out there about the dangers of electronic cigarettes.  Here's what I know, I've been using them for years.  I can tell you that I breathe easier, my cardiovascular heath has increased, and I am a healthier person today then when I smoked.  Sure, I'm still getting nicotine, but I don't care.  I'm NOT getting carbon monoxide, arsenic, tar, formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide or any of the other 4000 chemicals in a cigarette.  

Would it be better to quit altogether?  You bet your ass it would.  I know that.  Everyone knows that.  But I can't.  I tried everything on the market to quit smoking from pills to patches, herbal supplements to pain aversion therapy and hypnosis.  I will not quit smoking in my lifetime, I've made peace with that and found a better way to do it.  

So, in short, I don't give a fuck if the judgmental asshats around here like it or not.  It is better for me than
cigarettes.  The proof is in the pudding on that one, I am healthier, so
I will keep doing it as long as I damn well please.  Maybe it will
spawn a new disease and I'll die a slow and painful death, spewing blood
out my anus.  Who knows?  But it is my anus that will be bleeding, not yours.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag for later but:

Congrats OP, my smoking habits are like yours were. Very well done.

I'm wondering about the cost,  my wife lost her job and money is very tight right now with a kid in college.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Tag for later but:
I'm wondering about the cost,  my wife lost her job and money is very tight right now with a kid in college.

Just to throw some numbers out there, expect to pay $80-100 per person for a complete startup kit that will get you going for the first month or two.  After that, it depends on how fast you go through cartos and how much e-liquid you vape.  At a minimum I'd say one 30ml bottle of liquid a month, maybe one box of five cartos every two months.  Going by average retail prices, that's roughly $20-25 a month per person.  It all depends on the method you use to vape, and how much e-liquid you go through.  Still, at that monthly cost or even double that amount you're still paying a small fraction of what you were paying for smokes.  I was paying at least $120-140 a month for smokes.
Startup costs aren't too bad, though.  Heck, in most places $80 won't even get you two cartons of smokes.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tag for later but:

I was spending ~ $240 a month on smokes....

I spent about $100 on the hardware (several batteries and atomizers) and $40 trying different flavors of juice.
So it's already paid for itself.
I expect to pay about $20 a month for the juice as it costs about $10 for a 30 ml bottle of the juice. ..quite a savings.

Also, I frequent convienance stores quite a bit less as buying smokes is what drew me in in the first place...so I buy less other stuff.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It's been 11 days now..

Real cigarette smoke smells like shit now.... (funny, it used to be the best smell in the world to me).

No desire to resume smoking Marlboros

Habbits have changed...had to train the clerks at the local stop and rob NOT to automatically hand me a pack of Marlboros (every one of them did this ).

No more ashtrays, lighters, going outside and standing in the rain.....

No more opening the window of the car when it;s 20  110 degrees out and blowing the smoke out the window (car smells better).

I reach for my little E-cig less and less....my battery lasted me all day today at work......

I guess the biggest thing for me was getting over the fear of not being able to whip out a cigarette and light it up right away....

I have a LOT more energy, too....

Fuck, I'm amazed...I thought I would never stop.

i know the biggest benefit is in 20 years i wont have cancer but right now i'm love the fact i'm not baking in the Texas sun, or getting drenched for a smoke.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I've heard mixed reviews on those eGo-T kits.  Some people love them, some people having nothing but problems with them.

Joyetech just released the 510-T kit, can't quite remember who sells them but they're supposed to be pretty good.  I had assumed that they discontinued the 510 line in favor of the eGo line, but apparently not.

i love mine.   works perfectly.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I've been making my own cigarettes for a couple years now and don't really have any intentions of quitting, but these e-cigs have always interested me.

I never knew there was so much to them!

Couple questions:

Can I use an e-cig on a plane or in a movie theater?

Do the menthol versions leave any odor?

Thanks!
Speed

1)  yes

2) once the vapor dissipates (few seconds)  you won't smell anything.   like i can blow it in your face and you'd smell it but other then that no.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top