BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ADD actually makes it really difficult to shut your brain of for sleep. My wife sleeps great though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife is ADD with a touch of OCD and insomnia with a side of narcissism for a topper. Oh shes Korean to boot so its a interesting dynamic around my place.

Shes on Adderall- Ambien and ZOLOFT and that's just what I know about.  

ADD actually makes it really difficult to shut your brain of for sleep. My wife sleeps great though.

This may sound weird but I take a very small does of my adderal late at night before bed roughly 3.5 mg a quarter pill and it has helped me a lot. I can't sleep because my mind goes into overdrive at night I assume this is because it is dark and  quiet in my bedroom.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's a good sign that you actually have a form of ADD/ADHD. When people take Adderall or similar prescriptions, that don't have ADD/ADHD they get "high". If you are prescribed it because you need it, it actually calms you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife is ADD with a touch of OCD and insomnia with a side of narcissism for a topper. Oh shes Korean to boot so its a interesting dynamic around my place.

This may sound weird but I take a very small does of my adderal late at night before bed roughly 3.5 mg a quarter pill and it has helped me a lot. I can't sleep because my mind goes into overdrive at night I assume this is because it is dark and  quiet in my bedroom.

That's a good sign that you actually have a form of ADD/ADHD. When people take Adderall or similar prescriptions, that don't have ADD/ADHD they get "high". If you are prescribed it because you need it, it actually calms you.

It really does I tried to take a break from taking it this summer and its symptoms manifested in to some pretty nasty anxiety.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Visualize 12 big flatscreen TV's with all channels. Channels changing every few seconds in a random fashion on all TV sets. Now that is your mind as somebody is talking with you. To me it seems everyone else is in slow motion. I mean who can't multi task, while doing several other things. I find the hardest part is relaxing or trying to sleep.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Visualize 12 big flatscreen TV's with all channels. Channels changing every few seconds in a random fashion on all TV sets. Now that is your mind as somebody is talking with you. To me it seems everyone else is in slow motion. I mean who can't multi task, while doing several other things. I find the hardest part is relaxing or trying to sleep.
View Quote
I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat. However, if I get engrosed into something, a movie, a video game, a project, reloading; I will stay up till I'm done or frustrated enough to quit. Often til the wee hours or the night and get 3 hours of sleep. The description of the tv's while someone is talking to you is spot on.

One of my other things I notice a lot at family functions is noise. I'm on vacation this week. My two boys, three neices and nephews and 5 sets of adults in one 3/story beach house. The main room is quite large and attached to the eating area and kitchen. My wife's grandfather is half deaf and has to have the damn TV volume at 87. Combine that with 3-4 different conversations and throw in a screaming kid or two and I feel like my brain is about to divide by zero. I seriously have to get up and walk out and go somewhere quiet. I feel like a pressure cooker about to burst and it takes a while to go brave it again. A solid week of this shit.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They are uneducated. I was diagnosed with adult ADHD. I took Adderall for a short time, a few months, but don't anymore. When I was diagnosed, a lot of things made sense from my past. No, I'm not undisciplined. I retired from the Army after 22 years and I'm flying at my second airline.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

L

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm one of the first to stand up and yell ADD is bullshit, smack your kid every now and then, but when it comes to adults it's a different game.  Over the years I've realized my wife has it, well, she basically told me and the lightbulb went off.  With the birth of our second child, it's basically gone into hyper drive from the hormones shifting all around.  A good friend of mine also has it and he's much older than us, but they both share the same traits.  His wife also wants to kill him most days

At times it's incredibly hard to deal with and really makes me question my sanity sometimes.  With it getting worse from hormones, I'm going nuts and she might end up killing me .  I'm a talker, I love bullshitting and pondering life's mysteries.  Her ADD makes that all but impossible because as I'm talking there's basically a conveyor belt from her ears, stuck in high speed, slinging shit all over her brain.  It takes her so long to process what I'm saying and put together her thoughts for a response that a conversation is all but impossible.  She's told me many times that she's not ignoring me, she just can't catch the thoughts in her head long enough to speak.  For anything remotely close to a "serious" conversation I take her reaction extremely poor, I react as if she's acting like a scolded child playing the silent game; I want a response out of her, then it all goes downhill.  The more pissed she gets, the more stressed she gets, so the hyperfocus kicks in and she has no problem keeping up and fighting right back.  It's a vicious cycle.  

edit - here's a paragraph break you fucks

If it's a stressful situation she has no problem focusing, which is probably why she does so great as an RN.  The bonus prize I'm getting from her hormones is forgetfulness, but not the cute "i lost my keys lol".  It's more along the lines of HOLY FUCK HOW CAN YOU FORGET THAT?!  For example; she cuts my hair.  Last night she completely went off the deep end accusing me of trying to convince her she's going insane.  Why?  Because I told her she's trimmed my eyebrows before.  She had absolutely no recollection of it ever happening.  Me?  I have an extremely good memory.  Those two things do not go good together.  The other thing that drives me batshit insane is if I say "hey, quick look at this".  She MIGHT look 5-10 seconds later, you know, after she missed whatever was happening.  

edit - and another break

All the other ADD shit is water under the bridge; disorganization, lateness, etc. etc.  Some of it's funny too.  She'll read her book during a TV show, but put it down to watch the commercials lol.  The issues get compounded by her upbringing.  She was homeschooled and lived under super controlling parents where everything she did was ridiculed and demonized.  Because of that, her default operating mode is to be in defensive mode.  With having kids and breastfeeding, we've basically been stuck waiting a few years for her to get medicated.  We're looking at another year of breastfeeding before she can go on meds.

I know there's got to be at least a few of you out there that deal with this....

Also, I'll never eject.  She's the most loyal and well grounded person I've ever met in my life.  She's an amazing mother and sexy as hell when she wants to be

I don't believe in ADD for anyone any age at all ever.

I do believe in undisciplined people though.  Some people work to keep their shit wired tight some don't and many are in between.

That's life

I know several people that believe like you. I put most of them in the "dumb fucks" category. Guess which category your going in? Smh..

They are uneducated. I was diagnosed with adult ADHD. I took Adderall for a short time, a few months, but don't anymore. When I was diagnosed, a lot of things made sense from my past. No, I'm not undisciplined. I retired from the Army after 22 years and I'm flying at my second airline.
Wasn't Adderall a disqualifier for flying?

I looked it up myself.

"Because of the potential for significant underlying psychiatric or
psychological problems and the side effects of medications, the FAA does
not currently allow medical certification for a diagnosis of ADD/ADHD
requiring the use of medication.
For medical certification
consideration, you will need to have discontinued all psychoactive
medications for at least the preceding 90 days.  After being off the
medications for 90 days, a neuropsychological evaluation should be conducted.  The neuropsychological evaluation must also include the following three tests:

1. Trail Making Test

2. Wisconsin Card Sorting Test

3. Paced Auditory Serial Addition Test (PASAT)

If
the airman is an adult who has been prescribed one of the
stimulant-type drugs for ADD, but has not been diagnosed with the
disorder, the medications will have to be discontinued for three days
before undergoing the neuropsychological evaluation noted above."

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#9]
If ADD wasn't real people without it wouldn't have different reactions to the medication.  Nor would it be likely that the meds help as much as they do.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My wife can fall asleep at the drop of a hat.  It's ridiculous.  I think it's from her coping mechanism with ADD; completely zoning out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife can fall asleep at the drop of a hat.  It's ridiculous.  I think it's from her coping mechanism with ADD; completely zoning out.

It could also be that she stays up too late because she's interested in the book she's reading or the show she's watching and is short on sleep as a result.

I do that too, and am not being critical.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top