Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Chip and Pin credit cards

Coming soon.

Some stores are already prepping the objective by going chip and signature.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys, two fails in the first two posts. Don't ever use YOUR MONEY (use a CC), and never use a PIN.  

Chip and Pin credit cards

Coming soon.

Some stores are already prepping the objective by going chip and signature.

Just used it for the first time in the U.S. this week (VA).  I've been using the chip/pin for a couple years overseas... I am a big fan!  Go out to dinner, ask for the check, they bring the check and card reader to the table, you insert your card and punch in your pin, voila!  My card never leaves my possession
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
People still use banks?

95% of my money is not in banks. For this reason and about a dozen other reasons.

View Quote

Banana stands, eh
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a card with MeV chip.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Depends on the bank.

BOFA as hated as they are, made it right.

Now we use all CC's
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is why I refuse to have a debit card. you have no protection. You would think people would learn.

Depends on the bank.

Now we use all CC's

"Made it right" does not get the money back into a DC account NOW.
With a CC it was the banks money from the start.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#5]
One word  .  .  .

CASH

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is why I refuse to have a debit card. you have no protection. You would think people would learn.

Depends on the bank.

Now we use all CC's

They "temporarily" credited the account that day for the reported charges. as their investigation determined the which charges were actually fraudulent the credit went from temporary to permanent but I could have used the money at any time. I lost nothing but time
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'll get my money back. I just need to buy groceries and gas sooner than my credit union will refund my money.

Will the store be out the money ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That sucks brother!  I have learned after getting hacked twice to always pay inside at gas stations (never pay at pump using pin #) and to check my accounts every day just incase.  Usually skimmers make a small purchase to test, then bam they get you!

I'll get my money back. I just need to buy groceries and gas sooner than my credit union will refund my money.

The bank will be, yet the industry won't upgrade their card scanners to use the embedded chips that the rest of the world have for years until October of this year.  

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2014/02/06/october-2015-the-end-of-the-swipe-and-sign-credit-card/

As others have said, use a credit card in the future.  You can even get cash back on them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Not true at all. Still, much less hassle to deal with fraud on a credit card, and why I don't use a debit card pretty much ever.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#9]
That sucks JB.

Got enough cash to see yourself through ?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#10]
If a Swedish e-store don't have a big sign on it that say "säker e-handel" you should stay away. All respectable stores use it, even the small ones.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They "temporarily" credited the account that day for the reported charges. as their investigation determined the which charges were actually fraudulent the credit went from temporary to permanent but I could have used the money at any time. I lost nothing but time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the bank.

Now we use all CC's

BoA did the same with me, twice. I was never out a dime.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If a Swedish e-store don't have a big sign on it that say "säker e-handel" you should stay away. All respectable stores use it, even the small ones.
View Quote

I stayed away from all the Swedish stores. This one's clothes seems to run a bit on the effete side. Have you ever heard of this business or been near one of their locations?

What's "säker e-handel"?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I stayed away from all the Swedish stores. This one's clothes seems to run a bit on the effete side. Have you ever heard of this business or been near one of their locations?

What's "säker e-handel"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's "säker e-handel"?

I have not heared of it.

Realized I wrote "Säker" instead of "Trygg".

"Trygg e-handel" is a certification that ensures that trade with the store is safe for the buyer. This means that there is good protection for payments, that you can get help everytime etc.
In other words, you pay without risking getting hacked, get your stuff when you are supposed to in the condition agreed on, if you don't you will get help within 48 and so on.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Banana stands, eh
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

People still use banks?

95% of my money is not in banks. For this reason and about a dozen other reasons.

Banana stands, eh
There is always money in the banana stand.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Funny, I was going to order more silver and a Jerry can with this check. I have a full Jerry can to top off my tank. Eventually I'll have six or more cans, but one will cover this problem. The food will be covered, too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That sucks brother!  I have learned after getting hacked twice to always pay inside at gas stations (never pay at pump using pin #) and to check my accounts every day just incase.  Usually skimmers make a small purchase to test, then bam they get you!

Do you have any silver or gold stashed away? You should be able to gas and groceries with that

Funny, I was going to order more silver and a Jerry can with this check. I have a full Jerry can to top off my tank. Eventually I'll have six or more cans, but one will cover this problem. The food will be covered, too.

Wise thinking.  Sorry to hear about that theft.  I'm glad I don't use debit cards and keep only credit cards.

BTW, I just sent a British made jerrycan back to Deustch Optiks.  The cap didn't cover the spout so it didn't seal and gas sloshed out of it.  It was useless as a fuel container and D.O. told me they'd replace it and refund my postage.  Sent it back last week.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Apparently someone bought a big pile of clothes on my dime today.

A few assholes got busted today with some skimmers after making a purchase with a phony credit card at a grocery store.

I'll call the arresting agency. Maybe they're linked. The store that took my money is in Sweden and is unique enough that if it's in their browser they're fucked.
http://hope-sthlm.com/
View Quote
Just call the CC card co, You have to get a notarized affidavit, they send you a new card. The merchant will be stuck with the bill, the burden of proof is on them. I have been hit about 25 times already
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not true at all. Still, much less hassle to deal with fraud on a credit card, and why I don't use a debit card pretty much ever.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got hit with a debit card, just one phone call cleared it up
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been hit like 3 times, always get a call right away and it's taken care of.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just call the CC card co, You have to get a notarized affidavit, they send you a new card. The merchant will be stuck with the bill, the burden of proof is on them. I have been hit about 25 times already
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few assholes got busted today with some skimmers after making a purchase with a phony credit card at a grocery store.

I'll call the arresting agency. Maybe they're linked. The store that took my money is in Sweden and is unique enough that if it's in their browser they're fucked.

25 times???!!! What the fuck are you doing? I've never been compromised, , and all I use is my debit card.  As far as gas stations, and skimmers look for the pumps that have the security tape. If it's broken don't use the pump.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#20]
One of the reasons I prefer credit cards to debit card for everyday purchase.  Much better fraud protection with credit.

Sorry to hear about it OP.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I started a lifelock account tonight and found out bunch of crap is being used in my name....

So far just attempts and an 111 dollar success...

Capital one has treated me well fixing this shit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

25 times???!!! What the fuck are you doing? I've never been compromised, , and all I use is my debit card.  As far as gas stations, and skimmers look for the pumps that have the security tape. If it's broken don't use the pump.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always check my CC and my Debit card. I got hit for a wedding about $25K, LOL. I can say employees of merchants can sometimes record your name, CC and Debit Number, and sell them to 3rd parties far from where they stole it
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Credit card and banks really don't care, I am sure the theft is in the 10's of billions
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No, not likely.  The CC company usually gets to eat these.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO the business eats it ALL

That is why the CC companies don't really care about the fraud
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I hate those UPS and FEDEX signatures that I always imagine your signature is broadcast. If I feel a merchant is shady I will pay them with a money order. Since they went to the new CC's I have not been hit yet
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the CC'Co's dispute a charge the burden is on the merchant to prove
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if not broken could still be compromised.

25 times is not unheard of, esp when a random number generator is used.

I've had a number jacked and the CC had one sent to me before I knew it was hit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I started a lifelock account tonight and found out bunch of crap is being used in my name....

So far just attempts and an 111 dollar success...
Capital one has treated me well fixing this shit.
View Quote
Waste of money

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
One word  .  .  .

CASH

View Quote

Which 1-800 number do I call to get my money back when my cash gets stolen?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

You should get your money back if you caught it this fast
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One word  .  .  .

CASH

1-800-PEGGY
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and 99% of the time the CC co side with THEIR customer, the card holder.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
One word  .  .  .

CASH

View Quote

You are giving up money/benefits if you are using cash.  I use credit cards for everything I can.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
One of the reasons I prefer credit cards to debit card for everyday purchase.  Much better fraud protection with credit.

Sorry to hear about it OP.
View Quote

It is the blanks money at risk.
They tend to be a little more attentive.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

When, if ever is. Debit appropriate?
View Quote
Credit cards suck for taking out cash.  You want a debit card for that.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

One word  .  .  .

CASH
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Fucking credit union. My money went from being on hold to the actual store's account some time overnight, meaning I could finally dispute the charge. Every other credit union and most banks would reimburse my money immediately and bill me for it later if I lost the dispute. My institution told me it won't be returned to me for up to fifteen days while they investigate it. Fuck, I have shit to do with my money before then!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't know why people still use debit cards.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a brain injury and NEED the money out of my account as soon as I buy something. It is better discipline for me, with a memory impairment, to never spend money I do not have. Credit cards are evil.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Sucks man That's why I keep money on hand, can happen to anyone at any time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Nothing like spending $62.5K to pay back $10K
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I have a brain injury and NEED the money out of my account as soon as I buy something. It is better discipline for me, with a memory impairment, to never spend money I do not have. Credit cards are evil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cash.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Indeed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you need to continue to live in our society I recommend three accounts at your S&L or bank.

1. Credit card account with enough money
2. The overdraft account with the minimum amount.
3. Savings NOT linked to the first two.

Indeed.

I do this but also carry cash for the day to day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cash.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cash.  

Too much opportunity to spend. With a debit card I can see where I spent it, and I've been far less impulsive. I spent too many years being broke and only having a vague recollection of where the money went. Those Cokes, gun mags, and othe random crap was killing me. Cash on hand is bad for me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Too much opportunity to spend. With a debit card I can see where I spent it, and I've been far less impulsive. I spent too many years being broke and only having a vague recollection of where the money went. Those Cokes, gun mags, and othe random crap was killing me. Cash on hand is bad for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cash.  

And cash is easy to lose with no way of getting it back
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cash.  

Primary and secondary accounts?  Primary, rent or mortgage, maybe groceries. Secondary for the rest of the world?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:32:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Guys, two fails in the first two posts. Don't ever use YOUR MONEY (use a CC), and never use a PIN.  

View Quote

Nailed it
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:41:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Do you have any silver or gold stashed away? You should be able to gas and groceries with that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3oz. I was going to get serious about buying more with this check, but my Irishman's luck kicked in. (Nothing will kill me, but something always happens to keep me from getting ahead.)

On the other hand, the woman at the bank is super cute and very friendly.  Just to stalk see her I should get my card hijacked more often!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top