Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I never really thought about this until i had my own son and let me tell you something if a woman is afraid to deal with what happens and instead she wants an abortion maybe she should keep her goddamn legs closed

I think  having an abortion is damn abomination. Abortion should be illegal you wanted to have sex deal with the consequences. I dont see how someone can hurt a baby uborn or not it really pisses me of bad.
I hope everyone who has an abortion spends an et ernity burning in hell.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Killing in self defense is not murder.

But I'm sure you knew that...  

Sgtar15

So you agree that all killing is not automatically "murder."

Right?  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm stayin out of this one.  I may agree with yall on abortion, but after that thread about homosexuality, I aint touchin politics outside of gun control here.

- BG

Next topic:  The USS Liberty!

Prepare to repel boarders!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I always heard that "Life begins at 40".  Sooooooo...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:05:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:08:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe life begins at conception and abortion is murder.

Call me old fashioned.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:11:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
wow, this thread is going slow......shoulda waited and started it after the premarital sex thread was over.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:19:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I still say the .45 is better than the whimpie 9mm, .40 and the .357 Sig combined!

IBTL
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:32:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Life starts at conception.  Don't like my views?  Good For You.  
I have a very hard time understanding people's justification for abortion, except when lives are threatened.

I'll let you figure out how that's not a paradox on your own.

People that trot out the 'people have the right to retain control over their own bodies' argument are people I agree with, except that I think the life and rights of the human developing within themselves or their partner should supersede their own selfish desires.  That is why the unborn child needs legal protection.  

BUT WAIT, there's more...what about cases of rape or incest?  Well, I just don't fucking know.

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:32:46 AM EDT
[#10]
OK, first let's clear up the "human life begins at conception" theory.

When an egg is fertilized (conception) it becomes a zygote. Less that half of ALL zygotes survive the first two weeks. So by your theory nature itself is performing huge numbers of abortions everyday.

I can't buy that. It's part of the natural progression, not an abortion. So I have to say that life does NOT begin at conception.

Only after a zygote has attached itself to the uterine wall does it begin to develope into a HUMAN. Before this point, it is nothing more than cells dividing themselves into identical cells. There is no specialization of the cells yet. i.e. no heart cells, no brain cells, no nerve cells, etc. They are quite simply exactly the same. (blanks if it helps you to understand)

So for everyone that decides "what CAN become a human IS a human life" THIS is that point. NOT conception.

OK, rant off.

Personally, I've been doing some research into this very thing because I myself wondered "exactly WHEN does it become a human life?" So far I've got no definitive answer, but I do know it is NOT conception.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:34:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I am not saying which way I feel on this issue but I did hear something interesting on the election front.

I saw an interview with Kerry's wife stating that she had several miscarriages.   She went on to state that she always felt that she had several "pinkies" in heaven.  She is pro-choice from what I have read.

The interview struck me as very weird when you look at it from a logic stand point.  I have looked for a copy but cannot find it now.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:42:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think abortion is a rediculous form of birth control.  But for other reasons, for example, if the mothers life will be endangered or if she was raped, abort all you want.  Other than that, I think 15-20 years sounds about right. And partial birth abortion should be punishable by public hanging, for the mother and the doctor.

I agree if the mother's life is in danger. But IF you believe life begins at conception Why would you believe in abortion in the case of rape? Why should the child be murdered for the sins of the father?

On a side note Rape and incest account for a tiny percentage of abortions (I think 1%) all other abortions are so the mother won't be fat and uncomfortable for a few months.

And before you trot out the old tired "are you gonna take care of all those unwanted baby's" argument, there are people waiting in line to adopt.  some are so desperate they go to other country's and adopt there.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:56:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:29:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:30:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is it too late to abort John Kerry?

How about his butt buddy, or Feinswine, her bald buddy from New York, Chuckie,  The Bitch, and the Drunken Monkey from Chappaquiddick?

I'd be all in favor of THOSE abortions!

CJ

You guys are cracking me up this morning
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#16]
OK, now that I have a few minutes let me add a little more to my previous statement.

All life forms exhibit 6 characteristics. These have been called the Characteristics of Life.
So the question is: When does a zygote begin to exhibit ALL of these characteristics? As all are required for life, if it is missing one then it is NOT a life.

1. Cells - Well, I think we can all agree that it does have cells. In fact, even before conception it is a cell. Conception changes it, but it's still a cell. So we have a Yes for this one.

2. Organization - this refers to organizisms arranging cells into groups of like cells to form the complex systems like the nervous system, circulatory system, etc. As mentioned in my previous post. The zygote does NOT do this right away. It CAN not do it. All the cells are the same. There is no differentiation yet, thus no organization. So we have a No here for an unspecified amount of time. Then a Yes after that point. I could not find a specific time when this occurs, but sometime within the first 10 days is the closest I could get.

So we've already found that it is missing one characteristic sometime before 10 days. So it is NOT a life yet. Let's go futher though and find out when or if it has the rest.

3. Energy Use - Does it use outside energy? i.e. sunlight for plants to make food, ingestion for grown humans, etc. No, it does not. It has no source of outside energy until after it attaches to the uterine wall and developes a placenta to feed it. This happens about 10 days AFTER conception. This puts a hole in the "life at conception" theory. So we have a No here for roughly the first 10 days. Then a Yes after that. So then we know that it is NOT a life before 10 days after conception.
This makes 2 characteristics that it does not have yet.

4. Homeostasis - Big term for those that don't read alot of science stuff. Basically means a stable internal environment. Does it have this? Well, yes. Actually, all cells have this. That is the purpose of the cell wall. To keep a stable internal environment. So we have a Yes here.

5. Growth - Some include mutation in this part which causes confusion. If we ask does the cell grow? Then we get a Yes. If we ask do the cells mutate (differentiate) then we get a No for some unspecific time period in the first 10 days. We'll make it simple and say Yes here because it does grow.

6. Reproduction - Is the cell capable of reproducing itself? Well, we can all agree on this one. Yes, it does.

So we end up with 4 Yes and 2 No for the first 10 days. After that 10 days? Then we have Yes to all 6. So I have to conclude that it is only a life AFTER the first 10 days. But will it develope into a Human? Well, maybe. Remember we are still inside that first two week period where over half of these zygotes do not survive. So, we have concluded that nature itself aborts FAR more "babies" than humans do, but we can't consider it "abortion" as it's part of the natural process.

After two weeks, if the zygote has survived then it CAN develope into a human life. We all know there are all kinds of risk factors and mis-carriages, etc. So it is not guarenteed, but the possibility is there. Without "tinkering" from humans, nature could carry on and possibly make a human life, but that really wasn't the focus of my post. The point is that it is NOT a life until AFTER the first 10 days. So I would have no problem with an "abortion" before that. After that? You are killing a life.

In the case of rape, incest, whatever terrible crap, then you would have those ten days to make a choice. After that point, you're killing a human being. Danger to the mother? Well, it may seem cold hearted of me to say so, but you're weighing the POSSIBLE danger to the mother against the CERTAIN danger to the baby. Apples and Oranges if you ask me. The mother MAY die, or the baby WILL die. Is that fair?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:06:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
OK, now that I have a few minutes let me add a little more to my previous statement.

All life forms exhibit 6 characteristics. These have been called the Characteristics of Life.
So the question is: When does a zygote begin to exhibit ALL of these characteristics? As all are required for life, if it is missing one then it is NOT a life.

1. Cells - Well, I think we can all agree that it does have cells. In fact, even before conception it is a cell. Conception changes it, but it's still a cell. So we have a Yes for this one.

2. Organization - this refers to organizisms arranging cells into groups of like cells to form the complex systems like the nervous system, circulatory system, etc. As mentioned in my previous post. The zygote does NOT do this right away. It CAN not do it. All the cells are the same. There is no differentiation yet, thus no organization. So we have a No here for an unspecified amount of time. Then a Yes after that point. I could not find a specific time when this occurs, but sometime within the first 10 days is the closest I could get.

So we've already found that it is missing one characteristic sometime before 10 days. So it is NOT a life yet. Let's go futher though and find out when or if it has the rest.

3. Energy Use - Does it use outside energy? i.e. sunlight for plants to make food, ingestion for grown humans, etc. No, it does not. It has no source of outside energy until after it attaches to the uterine wall and developes a placenta to feed it. This happens about 10 days AFTER conception. This puts a hole in the "life at conception" theory. So we have a No here for roughly the first 10 days. Then a Yes after that. So then we know that it is NOT a life before 10 days after conception.
This makes 2 characteristics that it does not have yet.

4. Homeostasis - Big term for those that don't read alot of science stuff. Basically means a stable internal environment. Does it have this? Well, yes. Actually, all cells have this. That is the purpose of the cell wall. To keep a stable internal environment. So we have a Yes here.

5. Growth - Some include mutation in this part which causes confusion. If we ask does the cell grow? Then we get a Yes. If we ask do the cells mutate (differentiate) then we get a No for some unspecific time period in the first 10 days. We'll make it simple and say Yes here because it does grow.

6. Reproduction - Is the cell capable of reproducing itself? Well, we can all agree on this one. Yes, it does.

So we end up with 4 Yes and 2 No for the first 10 days. After that 10 days? Then we have Yes to all 6. So I have to conclude that it is only a life AFTER the first 10 days. But will it develope into a Human? Well, maybe. Remember we are still inside that first two week period where over half of these zygotes do not survive. So, we have concluded that nature itself aborts FAR more "babies" than humans do, but we can't consider it "abortion" as it's part of the natural process.

After two weeks, if the zygote has survived then it CAN develope into a human life. We all know there are all kinds of risk factors and mis-carriages, etc. So it is not guarenteed, but the possibility is there. Without "tinkering" from humans, nature could carry on and possibly make a human life, but that really wasn't the focus of my post. The point is that it is NOT a life until AFTER the first 10 days. So I would have no problem with an "abortion" before that. After that? You are killing a life.

In the case of rape, incest, whatever terrible crap, then you would have those ten days to make a choice. After that point, you're killing a human being. Danger to the mother? Well, it may seem cold hearted of me to say so, but you're weighing the POSSIBLE danger to the mother against the CERTAIN danger to the baby. Apples and Oranges if you ask me. The mother MAY die, or the baby WILL die. Is that fair?

OK so according to you life begins 10 days after conception. For the sake of argument I'll 100% agree. Then according to your specs, abortion is wrong since I will go out on a limb and say that no one gets an abortion before the first 10 days (abortion pill excluded). I would say that no one even knows thier pregnant less than 10 days after conception (if there are exceptions to this I'm sure they are extremely rare).
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:14:03 AM EDT
[#18]
your not a human being until your in my address book

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
OK so according to you life begins 10 days after conception. For the sake of argument I'll 100% agree. Then according to your specs, abortion is wrong since I will go out on a limb and say that no one gets an abortion before the first 10 days (abortion pill excluded). I would say that no one even knows thier pregnant less than 10 days after conception (if there are exceptions to this I'm sure they are extremely rare).

Basically, yes, that's what I'm saying.
I wasn't going to go into that, but it is a good point. I would venture to say that almost no one knows they are pregnant before 10 days. Even those fabulous home pregnacy tests will show a positive BEFORE that 10 days and still have over a 50% chance of being wrong because we've discovered that over 50% of the zygotes do not survive the first two weeks. So really there's no absolute way to know a woman is pregnant until after two weeks. By then of course it is a life. So it is killing anyway you slice it.

At that point it becomes an exercise in rationalization. Does it have a right to live? Do I have a right to kill it? Is its right more important than the mother? Should  woman be permitted to make that choice? etc. It's all rationalization for killing if you ask me.

Is killing wrong? Well, in most instances I would say yes, but in some instances it is necessary. Is this one of those instances where it is necessary? More often than not, no it isn't necessary. It's convenient. That is not a good enough reason to kill in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:34:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:39:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Life starts at conception.  Don't like my views?  Good For You.  
I have a very hard time understanding people's justification for abortion, except when lives are threatened.

I'll let you figure out how that's not a paradox on your own.

People that trot out the 'people have the right to retain control over their own bodies' argument are people I agree with, except that I think the life and rights of the human developing within themselves or their partner should supersede their own selfish desires.  That is why the unborn child needs legal protection.  

BUT WAIT, there's more...what about cases of rape or incest?  Well, I just don't fucking know.

this is alot more rare than publicised!  anyway   ADOPTION?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:01:57 AM EDT
[#22]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
I think abortion is a rediculous form of birth control. But for other reasons, for example, if the mothers life will be endangered or if she was raped, abort all you want. Other than that, I think 15-20 years sounds about right. And partial birth abortion should be punishable by public hanging, for the mother and the doctor.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree if the mother's life is in danger. But IF you believe life begins at conception Why would you believe in abortion in the case of rape? Why should the child be murdered for the sins of the father?

On a side note Rape and incest account for a tiny percentage of abortions (I think 1%) all other abortions are so the mother won't be fat and uncomfortable for a few months.

And before you trot out the old tired "are you gonna take care of all those unwanted baby's" argument, there are people waiting in line to adopt. some are so desperate they go to other country's and adopt there.

Because I don't believe that life starts at conception.   However, abortion without any extenuating circumstance,  is still immoral and I certainly don't think a woman should have to carry a scumbag rapists child, unless she waits untill after the 5-6 week gestation period. If she waits that long, she obviously isn't too offended by the idea of perpetuating bad (or evil) genetics.  I think abortion should be considered murder, unless the woman was raped, in which case it should be legal ONLY if aborted within the first 5 weeks. Just my personal opinion.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#23]

IMHO a human life starts at about 8 weeks, when electrical activity begins in the fetal brain.

I agree with that. Humans are sentient beings, and until brain activity starts, it is not a sentient being. I even wonder if for a while after that, the baby is not sentient.

IMHO, a couple of cells dividing is not human life, especially during those first 10 days or so. A sperm sell swimming along and an egg waiting for it to get there is not human life, so I have no problems with birth control.

Partial birth abortions are sick. That is murder in my opinion. I can possibly see it if the mother's live is in grave danger (self-defense) but I don't know enough about baby delivery to make a good judgement on that. It seems kind of ridiculous to me that a baby that is half out would need to be killed to save the mother.

As for incest and rape? I'd like to see a woman comment on this. Some wrote

why should the baby die for sins of the fater?

Rape is a terribly traumatic thing for women. Can you imagine dragging that trauma on for 9 additional months? Then everytime you look at this baby, thinking back to your rape? I would NEVER wish that upon my wife, and I doubt any of you would either. Adoption, fine idea - but its still 9 months of suffering - this a time when a WOMAN SHOULD MAKE HER OWN CHOICE. It still shouldnt be a partial birth abortion though, the decision should be made shortly after the incident.

And do you really want the genes of a sick rapist fuck being being reintroduced to society? Hell, we need to kill him, why would we want to let a clump of his cells grow into a human being.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Rape is a terribly traumatic thing for women. Can you imagine dragging that trauma on for 9 additional months? Then everytime you look at this baby, thinking back to your rape? I would NEVER wish that upon my wife, and I doubt any of you would either. Adoption, fine idea - but its still 9 months of suffering - this a time when a WOMAN SHOULD MAKE HER OWN CHOICE. It still shouldnt be a partial birth abortion though, the decision should be made shortly after the incident.

Yes it is traumatic and no I wouldn't wish it on my wife or any one else. But IF you believe that it is a human life then the question is should you murder an innocent child to save the mother some emotional trauma? It's a horrible situation, personally I'm not comfortable with either solution I guess you have to decide what is the lesser of two evils, added emotional trauma to the mother or killing an innocent child.

And do you really want the genes of a sick rapist fuck being being reintroduced to society? Hell, we need to kill him, why would we want to let a clump of his cells grow into a human being.

No, But I'm not sure that predisposal to rape is inherited. If there is strong evidence that it is I might be inclined to agree.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

When an egg is fertilized (conception) it becomes a zygote. Less that half of ALL zygotes survive the first two weeks. So by your theory nature itself is performing huge numbers of abortions everyday.

I can't buy that. It's part of the natural progression, not an abortion. So I have to say that life does NOT begin at conception.

Only after a zygote has attached itself to the uterine wall does it begin to develope into a HUMAN. Before this point, it is nothing more than cells dividing themselves into identical cells. There is no specialization of the cells yet. i.e. no heart cells, no brain cells, no nerve cells, etc. They are quite simply exactly the same. (blanks if it helps you to understand) A zygote is a stage of developement. Anything developing mostly on its own is alive; in this case from conception onward. The cells hold HUMAN DNA, therefore a zygote is a HUMAN BEING or a HUMAN LIFE.

So for everyone that decides "what CAN become a human IS a human life" THIS is that point. NOT conception.

OK, rant off.

Personally, I've been doing some research into this very thing because I myself wondered "exactly WHEN does it become a human life?" So far I've got no definitive answer,
but I do know it is NOT conception.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think abortion is a rediculous form of birth control. But for other reasons, for example, if the mothers life will be endangered or if she was raped, abort all you want. Other than that, I think 15-20 years sounds about right. And partial birth abortion should be punishable by public hanging, for the mother and the doctor.

Quoted:

Because I don't believe that life starts at conception.   However, abortion without any extenuating circumstance,  is still immoral and I certainly don't think a woman should have to carry a scumbag rapists child, unless she waits untill after the 5-6 week gestation period. If she waits that long, she obviously isn't too offended by the idea of perpetuating bad (or evil) genetics.  I think abortion should be considered murder, unless the woman was raped, in which case it should be legal ONLY if aborted within the first 5 weeks. Just my personal opinion.

If you don't believe that life starts at conception I can certainly understand why you think abortion in the case of rape and incest is OK. I was speaking to those that believe it is a Human Life at conception but still thinks it's OK to kill it in the case of rape.

As for a woman carrying a scumbag rapists child, I understand completely. but for those that believe that life starts at conception it's a question of emotional distress vs. the life of an innocent child. She may recover from her emotional trauma (at least enough to have a decent life) but the child will never recover. For us pro-lifers, There is not a good solution to this situation.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only after a zygote has attached itself to the uterine wall does it begin to develope into a HUMAN. Before this point, it is nothing more than cells dividing themselves into identical cells. There is no specialization of the cells yet. i.e. no heart cells, no brain cells, no nerve cells, etc. They are quite simply exactly the same. (blanks if it helps you to understand) A zygote is a stage of developement. Anything developing mostly on its own is alive; in this case from conception onward. The cells hold HUMAN DNA, therefore a zygote is a HUMAN BEING or a HUMAN LIFE.

OK, rant off.

Personally, I've been doing some research into this very thing because I myself wondered "exactly WHEN does it become a human life?" So far I've got no definitive answer,

You should highlight your comments, makes it easier to find and people won't inadvertantly credit me with your comments.

Now my issue with this:  Sperm cells contain Human DNA, Egg cells contain Human DNA, Skin cells contain Human DNA, Blood contains Human DNA. Are any of these on their own a human life simply because they have human DNA? No. So "because it has human DNA" is not enough to qualify it as a human life.

As for the "developing mostly on its own" portion. Please read my other longer post for the definition of life. You'll see that zygotes for at least the first 10 days can not be considered a life as they do not have all the characteristics that define life. After that 10 days THEN I would agree with you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I just wanted to start a discussion of when you think human rights begin in a life cycle and your logic behind it.

For instance someone might believe it starts when a sperm combines with the egg. Then they would give their own reasoning.

I would like to avoid discussion of government funded abortion and keep this as simply a purely philosophical discussion on when equal rights begin and why.

Also take into account when I say human rights I mean the rights equal to yours (or the mothers)as far as right to life.  

OK, Here goes..
If you believe that life begins at conception, then all abortion is the wanton murder of the innocent pre-born. FWIW, that's where I fit in. That being said, if you believe that life begins further on, then abortion would be OK up to that point, I suppose. I don't see how these points will ever find any common ground as they seem to be a matter of faith, not science, and thus not subject to the usual concepts of logic and debate.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Shit not this again, I think it's just a bunch of women who want thier choice but won't give me mine and it pisses me off.  So I'm going to vote for every pro-lifer that runs just to piss them off.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Good luck, bud.

+ 1  You don't EVEN wanna go there FredM.

AB
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#31]
  Women have every right to control their bodies. They can control it with birth control, or simply not having sex. I have been pregnant twice and I can say for a fact that once you are pregnant, the person inside of you has their own body and soul. You can feel it before you ever feel kicks, or quickening. Saying that because a baby has not taken its first breath, it is not yet alive is just a well spread lie. It gives women an excuse to take the easy way out. It also gives her family, boyfriend, or husband a chance to talk her into taking the easy way out. Femminism has given women the "right," to choose, but is this really a right?
   I have found that it is often these "rights," that are most damaging to women. We really do not have more equality and freedom, we have another list of rules to follow. Do not put your child and morality ahead of college, and a future career. Do not abstain, instead have sex without dealing with the consequences. Terminating a pregnancy, flushing out the uterus, aborting the embryo; these are all terms used to soften the minds and hearts of those who wish to have an abortion.
  I'll admitt I was fooled by it for some time. I even considered having an abortion a few years ago. I found out that I would have to have an ultrasound, and that the clinic did not allow the mother to see what the ultrasound tech. sees. With some research I found that this is a common practice. Do you have any idea why they do not want the mother to see her baby? I do, it is harder to go through with it when you can see arms, legs, a head, and body. We wouldn't want women to leave the clinic without aborting now would we. Just imagine a generation of women who put their moral beliefs back in place ahead of career goals. Lastly, if you study pro-abortion websights and magazines, you will find there is a growing trend of circulating information on how giving a baby up for adoption is "far," more damaging to a mother's mental well being than having an abortion is. They are brain washing the next generation into believing that it is easier to kill than giving the baby you love to a family that can take better care of your child.  
  These statements may not be what you are looking for, but they are based on my personal experiences and the experiences of friends who have either had abortions, or been pressured to, and later decided not to go through with it. I had a miscarriage three days before I was due to have an abortion, and I now live with the guilt of knowing that for the short time that my baby was alive, I plotted to kill it.

ETA - Enforcing laws that are more strict when it comes to rape and incest would prevent pregnancies that are unwanted. the rape and incest case is not a very good one, because the number of abortions performed in a year due to rape or incest are not even a fraction of those performed for other reasons.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
[flamesuit on] IMHO Life begins at the baby's first breath outside the womb. Before that, it's a part of the female body. [/flamesuit off]

I should really know better than to reply to this thread with my opinion...

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I'll start...

Life begins at the moment of conception. Taking that life at any stage during it's development, whether at the fifth week, fifth month of fifth year is murder.

Also, partial birth/ "late term" abortions are the most disgusting and barbaric practice known to man. Receiving, performing or assisting in a partial birth abortion should be a capital offence.

I agree
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, rant off.

You should highlight your comments, makes it easier to find and people won't inadvertantly credit me with your comments.

Now my issue with this:  Sperm cells contain Human DNA, Egg cells contain Human DNA, Skin cells contain Human DNA, Blood contains Human DNA. Are any of these on their own a human life simply because they have human DNA? No. So "because it has human DNA" is not enough to qualify it as a human life.

As for the "developing mostly on its own" portion. Please read my other longer post for the definition of life. You'll see that zygotes for at least the first 10 days can not be considered a life as they do not have all the characteristics that define life. After that 10 days THEN I would agree with you.

__________________________________ THIS IS DOGEAR RESPONDING:Sorry about not highligting. Tried to but ---nothing. Still trying to get the hang of this net stuff. I simply was pointing out that having human DNA makes it human. The developement (cell division, etc) is evidence of some sort of energy guidance driving growth of the entity according to a pre-set design. That energy is Life force. I personally don't care to subscribe to a scientific formula or definition of "life" and I caution anyone to. I have my own attempted definition based on my God-given power to reason and the knowledge of my Soul. Science has no business trying to define a concept (life) which is beyond its realm and always will be. I'll leave that for the philosophers to attempt. Maybe the Bible is the best source for understanding this, tho I haven't really explored it. Anyway, seems you've done some in depth inquiry for some good points/info. Godspeed.      

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Sperm cells divide such that they only contain Half of the genetic code of a human.  Same with the egg.  Skin, blood hair, etc all have the same DNA.... yours! (except for random mutation maybe)  The Zygote has its own, unique DNA.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top