BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:

2003 749 (my first bike) [span style='color: red;']Thats a pretty ballsy choice for a first bike, maintenance and performance wise

Shee-it, Clem! The 749 could not pull the skim off of warm milk or knock the cock off a chocolate rooster. They might handle nice when you get them set up, but you gotta watch your mirrors to keep from getting hit with bird strikes from behind.

Seriously, I rode a 749 back when I had a Bimota and was in an italian bike club... One hard roll thru first gear and I was like "WTF??? is there something wrong with it?".     No. Balls.

You had a bimota with 1000 suzuki motor if I recall correctly, not really an apt comparison for a first bike.  I had a '90 Fzr600 as my first street ride, but I had been riding my yz125 for quite sometime before that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you get a Duc, make friends with a Ducati mecahanic, they are good bikes but not cheap to maintain properly.

This statement is bullshit.  If you have a willingness to get dirty, they are as cheap to maintain properly as any Japanese bike.  If you're the kind of guy that pays a dealer, well... you're fucked.  

I would suggest you get a japanese bike to ride until you know what you really want long term.

Not a bad idea either.

Some people don't want to take a chance getting it wrong when doing those 800 mile interval cam drive belts. Yes, I know that 800 miles is for people who do trackdays, but some folks ride HARD frequently and would not want to take the chance that maybe  that belt would let go on them at 1000 miles if they didn't. Ducati is finally giving in to pressure-the 1198's replacement will have gear driven cams.

I would never have an Italian bike as my only ride. They just aren't the kinds of bikes that you can rely on to regularly head out of state on.  There is a reason nobody roadraces a Ducati in Endurance Racing.... Hell, Ducati didn't even get waterproof electrics until the 916 came out.

What are you talking about?!?  The first time you even have to LOOK at the belts/valves is 7500 miles on the newer bikes.  My old 749 was 6000 miles between major services.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top