Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#1]
At MCAS Yuma, firing the Close Combat Pistol Course with an M9, I crossed my right thumb over my left when I switched to weak hand for the last course of fire from behind the barricade. When I pulled the trigger, I first thought the weapon had exploded from the pain in my thumb. Turns out that the pointed rear of the Beretta slide had just come back and stabbed into the side of my thumb, cutting it to the bone.

I finished the course of fire, and had to scrub the blood off the pistol, mags, holster and mag pouch before I could turn the stuff back in and go get my thumb stitched up.

[Edited to change "frame had just come back" to "slide had just come back."]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn T/C in 45-70 yawed and gouged a chunk out of my hand.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, here are my storys of shit happening.

1) AD while cleaning a 16 ga. shotgun, resulting in hole in ceiling and roof.

2) AD while cleaning ruger mark 1, hole in wall of kitchen.

3) dumb assed friend of mine let off a 22 mag derringer off with in 5 feet of my left ear,would someone answer that damned phone?

4) had an atd-22 (copy of browning breakdown rifle) that would slice open my pointing finger every time i pulled back the bolt.

5) while shooting at bowling pins at about 10 feet with a snuby 38, a bullet bounced off a pin,came back and hit me in the stomach. no damage, but lots of swearing.

Bubbasar

an armed society, is a polite society.

Link Posted: 11/11/2001 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#4]
HEY,  I resemble that remark!  In my defense, when I toastied my 27" RCA,  Robert Reeeeiiiicccchhh was on spewing some liberal crap about Klinton's HUD/Gun buyback program and I centerpunched that sawed off little bastard right in the melon!  That was the only thing that made me feel better about having to buy a new TV.  

crash.

Quoted:

3.  Never point your muzzle at anything that you arent willing to destroy.  ....... TV's, all included)

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I chambered a live round in my MP44 and it slam fired in the house. The round struck a dresser, destroyed some of my ex-wife's clothes, went thru the wall into the bathroom shower, broke one shower tile, deflected off another tile, hit the ceiling and landed outside the stall. I got lucky that day. I dont chamber rounds indoors anymore.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Let's see...
I had dropped my 1911 Combat Commander in the parking lot.  When I got into my apartment, I was i the process of unloading it when it went off into the ceiling.  I was on the ground floor and luckily the floor above me was concrete.  I waited a few months when the neighbor moved out, and pulled the carpet to check.  No hole.

And a couple of weeks ago I had an AD with my Dan Wesson .357.  I now know that a .357 will not stop for anything, including plasterboard, the roof, and the shingles above that.  Just fixed it last week with neighbors wondering why I was on the roof.

One last one... I was showing a friend how a semi-auto works.  Got the round stuck sideways somehow or another and couldn't get it out.  He got real scared and left the room until I got it out.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm still trying to figure out who cleans their weapons with rounds chambered??  TWICE!?!?!? [:\]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dumped two thirty rounders through my mini 14 real quick, set the gun down for a second, then picked it up by the barrel just below the front sight. This is why one of my more common sayings is "I wish I hadn't done that.".
View Quote

Did you not notice that the barrel was as thin as a straw?  Just kidding, I didn't burn my hand, but i realized that I would be facing some nasty cook off had I bothered to chamber another round.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
... I hate to even admit it, but the [b]only[/b] AD in all my life (except for IPSC training) was in my basement. With a .50 cal no less!
View Quote

What happened to the wall where it impacted?
View Quote

What happened to the wall?!  What happened to your ears? Eaxactly how bad is you permanent hearing damage?
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]
All of the above incidents are good reasons for the support the of the demilitarization bill that recently passed the senate. Civilians should not be allowed to possess military equipment, current, former or otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 1:56:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Trying to un-jam my father-in-laws semi auto shotgun for him, out came the shell, bolt slamed shut on my thumb. Remington sure do put strong springs in them things, [:)>]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 2:04:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All of the above incidents are good reasons for the support the of the demilitarization bill that recently passed the senate. Civilians should not be allowed to possess military equipment, current, former or otherwise.
View Quote

If that a joke it's not funny,if it's not a joke stay right there I'll see you in a min.[X]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:01:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know, but it hurts like HELL!  
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Exactly what is M1 thumb?
View Quote

Take en-bloc clip for Garand rifle
 Load said clip into said rifle
 Use thumb to seat clip all the way into rifle
 Bolt slams forward to chamber round
 Thumb is in the way of said bolt

Voila.....Garand thumb

Chuck
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Burned my finger on my M1 Garand after bump-firing several clips through it.
View Quote

omg! I din't know you could "bump fire" an M1!

I took the blast from the escaping gasses between the cylinder and barrel of my 629 to the left thumb. I was gripping high like I do with an auto of mine... I wont do that again. Powder burns and bruises.

I had a 44sp spit something out that cut my right thumb when I was a kid. They called a cease fire at the Stevens Creek range when someone saw the blood trail. I was off looking for something to wrap the cut up with so I could shoot some more! They thought someone shot themself (which is kinda what that is I guess).

when I was about 9 or 10 I had a ND that resulted in a broken window.... thats all I got to say about that  

got an ass whoopin to remember I did
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#18]
SKS butt trap door. Its not funny! I had to get my wife to unscrew the buttplate because it kept getting tighter. She can't use a screw driver.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumped two thirty rounders through my mini 14 real quick, set the gun down for a second, then picked it up by the barrel just below the front sight. This is why one of my more common sayings is "I wish I hadn't done that.".
View Quote

Did you not notice that the barrel was as thin as a straw?  Just kidding, I didn't burn my hand, but i realized that I would be facing some nasty cook off had I bothered to chamber another round.
View Quote

Yeah, the smoke coming out of the handguard should have been a clue.[:)]

Oneshot, I have found some of those neat toys they left laying around out there, too. I won't go into details, but, after a couple of beers, a couple of friends and I remind each other how lucky we are to be alive and not in jail, at least once a year.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Trying to make major with a 9mm and military brass. Nuff said?
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fired a .454 Casul w/o ear plugs.  [:O]  
View Quote
WHAT!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#22]
The more times I read this, the more things that come to mind.
We had just returned to my parents house after dove hunting. I leaned my pump shotgun against the wall, it slid sideways down the wall, hit my mom's glass top table, and shattered glass into a million pieces.

Also, I had just purchased a CD .45. On the way home from the shop, I had loaded it in anticipation of trying it out on the way home.
I chambered a round, went to lower the hammer (don't ask me why, I always carry cocked and locked), my thumb slipped off the hammer, and
ventilated the windshield. Explain that one to your insurance agent.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
First time I shot my G33 I held it funny for some reason.  My left thumb was sticking up behind the slide.  It was just enough that the slide grabbed my fingernail and ripped it off.  [:(!]
View Quote

Of course [}:D], what he doesn't mention is the time he got excited over some little subsonic, I think their called, .22's,loaded them into a piss-ant little rifle in our second story apartment, set boxes, oh and some newspapers and a board inside, up in our hallway and proceeds to shot several rounds into the boxes at slow intervals.  All the while I'm telling him it's too loud, his excuse, it just sounds like a door being slammed or stuff being dropped, you know!!!.  [spank]  Suddenly, there is silence.  Brouhaha comes out of the hallway with his puppy dog face and says, "It's only a small hole."  He put a hole in our guest bathroom door!!  I don't know yet how we are going to explain that to the management when we move!!![stick]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#25]
brouhaha,you f*ed you my man(as did I[:D]

These lil sub.22s are bad news,they make you want to act like your 10 years old.

These rounds get me in to more trouble!
The first time I saw them was at a gun show last year I just got one box to see if they would be any fun,well..........[:D]

DAY 1. My budy always has on work boots and I wanted to see if they are really so tough so I shot him in the foot,he get pissed.

DAY 2. they make the 4th of July sooo much more fun.did you know there are some fire works that you dodn't need to light?you just shoot then and they go off all at one.

DAY 3. put a block of wood over my chest and act like I'm shooting my self.
Put the gun to your chest and BANG! people will sh!t on there selves [}:D]

DATY 4. wife hides the ammo[:(]

BTW: Anybody know where I can buy subsonic ammo?[thinking]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:23:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, here are my storys of shit happening.

1) AD while cleaning a 16 ga. shotgun, resulting in hole in ceiling and roof.

2) AD while cleaning ruger mark 1, hole in wall of kitchen.

3) dumb assed friend of mine let off a 22 mag derringer off with in 5 feet of my left ear,would someone answer that damned phone?

View Quote

Your friend is a dumb ass but you had two AD's while cleaning?
View Quote

I'm no dumbass. LOL.  We were still shooting and he took his ear plugs out.  He was at least 5 feet from me and the little derringers are loud.  That's more space than most indoor ranges.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 6:51:41 AM EDT
[#27]
OK, confession time.

For reasons I won't go into here, I chambered a live round (7mm Benchrest) in my XP-100 in the house.  I did not have the safety on.  When I lifted the bolt to remove the cartridge - BOOM!  The trigger was misadjusted and the sear slipped.  My 2-year old granddaughter was standing three feet off my right shoulder (behind the gun) when it happened.  The bullet (130 grain Sierra Matchking) went through the wall into the garage, out through the wall of the garage and ended its short existence on a 4x8 support crossbeam - thank God.  My ears rang for a week.

1) I will never chamber a live round in the house again

2) I will never expect a firearm to be in perfect mechanical condition

3) I did everything wrong except have the gun pointed in a "safe" direction - however if that beam hadn't been in the way there's no telling where the round would have come down.

4) I [i][b]knew[/i][/b] better!  I was telling myself as I did it that it was stupid, but I was sure I could get away with it.

5) My granddaughter was apparently not affected - except she really seems to like my guns!
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#28]
1.  Friend let me take PPK to range, where I discovered that you don't wanna let your grip creep up too high.  Other than that, a really nice pistol.  

Makes me wonder how easy it would be to do this if you had to draw quickly in a tense situation, though.

2.  While still kinda young, got distracted and managed to put a bolt in backwards (it went pretty far), even though I'd done it correctly a dozen times before.
Kind of a pain to get out, too, especially without attracting attention by cussing or saying "Hey, look what a stupid ass thing I did."
I did prevail.

Some of you are going to say this is impossible, but with a certain weapon it can be done.

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Know your target.  I was at a sand pit and was shooting various targets.  Behind me pulls up this big pick-up with 4 commando type gentlemen.  They were all wearing camo.  The obligatory facial hair and knives were in place. Guns everywhere.  Everything one could think of, they had.  This one guy finds an old rim from a car.  He sets it about thirty yards down range and begins punching holes through it with some big bolt action.  His buddy wants in on the action.  He pulls out his .45 and begins blasting away.  Before anyone knew, this poor guy drops like he had been hit by a club.  The bullet hit the two inside edges of the rim and comes back and hit him.... yep, right in the family jewels.  He is on the ground in agony while his buddies are all around him howling.  He was sore, but probably not much wiser.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Know your target.  I was at a sand pit and was shooting various targets.  Behind me pulls up this big pick-up with 4 commando type gentlemen.  They were all wearing camo.  The obligatory facial hair and knives were in place. Guns everywhere.  Everything one could think of, they had.  This one guy finds an old rim from a car.  He sets it about thirty yards down range and begins punching holes through it with some big bolt action.  His buddy wants in on the action.  He pulls out his .45 and begins blasting away.  Before anyone knew, this poor guy drops like he had been hit by a club.  The bullet hit the two inside edges of the rim and comes back and hit him.... yep, right in the family jewels.  He is on the ground in agony while his buddies are all around him howling.  He was sore, but probably not much wiser.
View Quote

LOL!
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#34]
The first (and last) time I fired a Marron 44 magnum.  It slipped outta my hands when I fired and I got smacked in the forehead with the barrel. It was more embarrasing than painful.  The other people at the range got a good laugh.  (I was 12 btw)

Another time a friend and I were firing his mini 14 at an indoor range.  A piece o`brass bounced off the lane partition, hit me in the face and got stuck between my cheek and glasses.  Left a really nice '.223 case' shaped burn on my face for a few weeks
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I had just sat down to shoot my little Remington 542 .22 autoloader off the bench.  I placed my left hand (support hand) too close to the bolt which is on the left side of the rifle.  The first shot and the bolt handle smacked my left thumb right between the bottom of the thumbnail and the joint.  It must have screwed something up in there bad (tendon perhaps) because even though I did it 5 years ago it still hurts like shit when ever I bend my thumb. [BD]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Ten years old put primed brass in fire, just as I yell wait a minute and held my hand up it went off and the primer hit my hand. Some blood much pain.
    Find door open in house. I go in to check for intruder. All I have on is .22 .Wife waits outside, I check gun safe and get my .45. I rack slide on .22 to clear chamber, drop mag, pull trigger......Bang hole in wall....Wife outside screaming are you alright!! Very embarrassing.
   Shooting old steel targets with hard ball .45 , I think it hit a dent and came back . Hit in stomach some blood. Now I shoot good steel at a slight angel ,lead bullets, 15 yards.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#37]
We were shooting out in the boonies one day when we noticed there was a bowling ball laying some distance off. My father-in-law decides to move it closer and shoot it with his Black Hawk .44 Mag. At a distance of about 40 feet he nailed it dead center. Big mistake, Pieces of bowling ball and bullet came straight back at the line peppering all of us. No blood, but some good stings and a couple of small bruises.

Another time, we were out near Edwards Airfoce Base, shooting across a little walley. My brother was just getting ready to shoot his Single-six .22 when A bunch of guys on three wheelers came over the hill right in front of us. My brother was lowering the hammer as he lowered his gun. His thumb slipped off the hammer and it went off right next to his feet.
I was standing right next to him and we both got bloody ankles from bullet splatter or rocks.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I have one more story, I tell this every time I tell people to train their kids about guns. When I was 10 years old my brother and I found a bullet proof vest in the attic. He told me to put it on and he would shoot me.I now own the gun it's a Winchester model 88 cal.308.This was in 1968 and my dad was in Vietnam . At the last second he told me to take it off and we put it aguast a tree. It shot through both sides and in the tree. Now I know it was a back brace and even if it was a real vest I would be dead.

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Dumbest ever? Spent a morning playing with my synthetic stocked Mossberg 500 and really got into the groove of shouldering, sighting down the barrel and blasting away. Figured I'd try the pistol grip that came with it and use up the last few rounds. Switched the stock for the grip, brought the gun up to eye level to sight down the barrel (Can you see this coming?) and nearly knocked my teeth in. Physics is funny that way, I suppose.

I looked like a damned Chow - mouth, tongue and inside of my cheeks were purple for a week. At least I kept my teeth.

Scariest ever? I had just started loading my own .38s and was plinking at tin cans with them. I fired the last round in the cylinder and it just didn't feel right. The can I was aiming at fell down, though, so I made the assumption that it wasn't any big deal. I decided to call it a day and went home.

Went down to the basement, broke out the cleaning kit, ran a patch down the barrel. Or, more specifically, about 2" down the barrel before I hit something solid. The last bullet. Wind must've knocked down that last can. So much for starting with light loads, huh? No harm done, but I'm glad I didn't keep shooting. Now I punch paper, count holes and *check* whenever something doesn't seem right (and load to +P levels [;)] !
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
5150BRY had a little Winchester autoloading 20ga that was just barely legal length. He put a pistol grip on it and on his first trip out with it he lines it up like a pistol and cranks off a round, recoiling right into his mouth.He goes wailing off in one direction ,holding his face, the shotgun goes flinging to the ground. After he picked it up, he was able to match the small piece of skin on the rear of the pistol grip to the bleeding wound on his upper lip. God I love that guy, he keeps me in stitches!
View Quote
Well there was also the time at the pawn shop when looking at a AK-47 I put my thumb in the butt plate to see if it had the cleaning kit inside and my thumb got stuck in it and the guy working there would not help me take the butt plate off to free my thumb as I started out the door of the shop to go to the ER with AK stuck to me the guy gives me a screw driver to take it apart and tells me if I break it I have to pay for it and he was not about to help me take it off man my thumb was black and blue.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
5150BRY had a little Winchester autoloading 20ga that was just barely legal length. He put a pistol grip on it and on his first trip out with it he lines it up like a pistol and cranks off a round, recoiling right into his mouth.He goes wailing off in one direction ,holding his face, the shotgun goes flinging to the ground. After he picked it up, he was able to match the small piece of skin on the rear of the pistol grip to the bleeding wound on his upper lip. God I love that guy, he keeps me in stitches!
View Quote
Well there was also the time at the pawn shop when looking at a AK-47 I put my thumb in the butt plate to see if it had the cleaning kit inside and my thumb got stuck in it and the guy working there would not help me take the butt plate off to free my thumb as I started out the door of the shop to go to the ER with AK stuck to me the guy gives me a screw driver to take it apart and tells me if I break it I have to pay for it and he was not about to help me take it off man my thumb was black and blue.
View Quote

Ok this is the last "I got my thumb stuck" post I casn stand.

Let me help[:D] your thumb is the big finger don't put it in a lil. hole.
Now this is not a flame,I just want to do my part to help[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Got a few good ones:

A friend of mine was shooting a scoped rifle for the first time. It was one of those Ruger lightweights in .270. Anyway, we weren't paying close attention to him as he had his face about a quarter inch from the scope. He fires off a round and then does nothing but curse for a few minutes. This guy got a black eye and a huge welt on his forehead.

Another friend of mine was shooting a pistol grip shotgun off of his boat and knocked out three of his front teeth.

I was asleep one morning and was awoken by the sound of a gunshot. Go out into the living room and my dad is sitting on the couch with smoke in the air and a shocked look on his face staring at the ceiling. Look up to see a .45 cal hole. Go upstairs to find that the exit was about three inches across and the fridge much worse for ware. There was friggin' food and liquid everywhere. Anyway, we needed a new fridge...right?

Alex
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Got a few good ones:

A friend of mine was shooting a scoped rifle for the first time. It was one of those Ruger lightweights in .270. Anyway, we weren't paying close attention to him as he had his face about a quarter inch from the scope. He fires off a round and then does nothing but curse for a few minutes. This guy got a black eye and a huge welt on his forehead.

Alex
View Quote

I carried a little scar over my right eye for about a year from something similar.  Ruger M77 in 7mm mag.  Ouch!

Link Posted: 11/14/2001 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Remember the movie "A Christmas Story" and the phrase "you'll shoot your eye out"? Me too.
Here's my version.
I had a BB gun rifle. I was too young for a .22 and too creative for my own good. I liked the way movie shot guns looked with the buttstock cut down to a pistol grip, so I set out to do the same with my BB gun. It looked too cool, and I had to show it off. Got my mom to take me to my buddy's house (outside city limits) where we could blast away. My friend's cousin (who was visiting from out of state for the first time) was setting up targets while my friend admired my new creation. He jokingly pumped it a couple of times and dry fired at his cousin who became rightfully upset. This activity repeated several times with the intensity growing each time. It pinnacled with my friend taking loaded shots at his cousin with a full 10 pumps at about 25 yards. Then came the inevitable scream and covering the eye. At first we thought it was a joke to end the madness. We soon found that he had been shot in the left eye. He had an entry wound in the lower eye lid just above the cheek bone. It wasn't easy, but we pinned him down and worked the BB to the surface where we eventually extracted the BB. Luckily it was just a flesh wound and the eye was not damaged. None of us wanted own up to what happened as everyone would have been punished for their involvement. We wanted him to see a doctor, so we said that he had fallen into a barbed wire fence and caught hit eye on a barb. It worked. He got a tetanus shot and we all learned a lesson. "Don't get a BB gun, you'll shoot your eye out"
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:42:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Mine has to do with the way a Mini-14 ranch throws brass.(I've never saw anything that throws brass like that!) Anyway I'm letting a friend of mine rip off a couple of mags when he gets a jam. I was standing behind him and steped up on the right side to help him clear it, task done I tell him to "Let'er rip" before taking a step back. Well, my buddy was a little quicker on the trigger than I thought. As the first shot goes off something hits my face, I see stars and the hands instantly cover the hit area as I scream and step back. I think the bullet riocheted and has hit me right above the eye. My buddy stops firing and I remove my hands to find them covered in blood, not a good thing. Funny thing, turns out I was hit by a piece of hot flying brass, which had connected the case mouth squarely with my forehead at the corner of my eyebrow and cut deeply into it. I glad it was'nt an inch lower because I'm nit sure my prescription glasses could had taken the force. Now to this day I have a scar in the shape of a perfect circle right at the edge of my eyebrow.[:(] [uzi]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top