BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't want to find out it doesn't work for you when someone is trying to kill you.

but, hey, ubu
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BAC is a lot harder to do when you're actually under stress. Being actually shot at tends to be much more stressful than you can replicate on a range. It's also worth noting that some people have a lot harder times making BAC work, for whatever reason. You might be one of the people that it works perfectly for in all situations, who knows?
You don't want to find out it doesn't work for you when someone is trying to kill you.

but, hey, ubu
Yeah, in this thread we get to find out who hasn't tried it under stress, and who doesn't get parallax.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wrong. Meprolight does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Far as I know, no one else makes optics with tritium in them.
Wrong. Meprolight does.
Meprolight has Tritium illuminated prism sights?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally I think the fixed Elcans are probably superior to acogs in several ways.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get a  March 3-24x42 FFP and an offset a PA MRD.

Aint much bigger than the old 2.5-8x36 that Leupold made. You can find them for about the same price.

Good scope.

the Best ACOGs are the 3x24 and 3.5x35.
View Quote
Your suggestion is a $2k+ scope?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've used Elcans extensively I hate them.

No one ever moves variables when shit starts happening or even flips magnifiers. What you are on is what you get.

FFP 1-Xs are meh, SFP 1-Xs are worthless.

General purpose light weight give me TA33 all day.

TA11/31 w/RMR are also acceptable.
View Quote

I remember you shooting with the 1-6 Leupold at CWE.   Did you dump it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I like 1x red dots to 100 yds. Also cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#8]
They are very solid.  That said i am not a fan of them in some light conditions where with amber you can lose the recticle in some light settings.  

I hardly use mine anymore
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have never shot the swarvo, but I hear it is awesome.  I am not sure the durability.  Razor is a tank.  I didn't like the mounting height on the elcan and didn't like the overall reticle.  subtension to 1000M?  Seems a bit, well, optimistic.

Anyway, you have some legitimate 1-8 options as well as many 1-6 for the same cost.  Elcan design is a decade old.  Technology has moved on.  I would take a piggy dot ACOG over the Elcan.  Just my opinion.
View Quote
No love for sb short dot?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not made of money.

I'm sure it is a good scope.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I still have it, I like it for static hunting with my thermal clip on it's, nice for maximizing the poor thermal FOV but would never combat with it except in like a DM capacity.

Geissele hyper extended made me like it a little more.
View Quote

I have a high super precision 30mm coming in and figuring out which 1-6 to try.  Obviously it was made for the razor, but for a few hundred more I can get a swarvo.  Or get one of the el cheapos and see if I like the concept.

They are heavy fuckers.

My old eyes find themselves needing more and more glass all the time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not made of money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not made of money.

I have never met a person who has bought a new S&B out of pocket.

They will get a custom glass shop to build them a spec by customer device and it works.

US Optics used do all kinds of crazy scopes.

Member seeng a 100x+ USO on the first single shot 50 I had ever seen in the flesh.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've used Elcans extensively I hate them.

No one ever moves variables when shit starts happening or even flips magnifiers. What you are on is what you get.

FFP 1-Xs are meh, SFP 1-Xs are worthless.

General purpose light weight TA33 works great for me.

For folks who don't BAC well TA11/31 w/RMR are probably the general purpose best option.
View Quote
I've been curious about this setup but most people seem to trash talk it. Any personal experience using it/advice?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

General purpose light weight TA33 works great for me.

For folks who don't BAC well TA11/31 w/RMR are probably the general purpose best option.
View Quote
What's your opinion on the TA44?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#17]
My least favorite of these is the ELCAN DR 1-4X  Bought it to go with my SCAR, which then got a TA31ECOS later.  It's the best runner up for 4X32 ACOGs of all the other optics I've tried, including a Short Dot, I always come back to my beloved 4x32 ACOGs

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How are they superior to a high end 1-8 or 6?
View Quote
They are lighter.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've been curious about this setup but most people seem to trash talk it. Any personal experience using it/advice?
View Quote

3 gun dominates a lot of our thoughts about optics.  And it is great training.  But it is not a simulation of combat.

I find sporting clays a closer approximation of combat.  Just remove the presentation throws.  Walk up and you will have moving targets coming from an unknown location.  Some will be coming towards you, some will be going away, some will be crossers.  and you have to instantly prioritize which one is the biggest threat, engage, transition, engage again and do all of that in 2-3 seconds.  Of course it doesn't replicate the aspect of people trying to kill you.  But the speed isn't buzzer.  The speed is the fact that those targets disappear in seconds.  It is hit or miss, time does not matter.  Not the time to be fucking around with levers or BAC.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I had an Elcan 1-4 for a while, and if it only had better eye relief, and a mount plate that didn't limit you to ARMS mounts, I would still have it. As is I'm not a huge fan of them. 

I really want a VCOG. 
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I love ACOGS. I'll get one someday. The BAC isn't an issue for my eyes. I shoot with the front cover on my aimpoint most of the time anyway. Usually by accident . The acogs I've used have been phenomenal.

I've tried variables and I think they're ok. I really like how with RDS I can shoot with my head a little higher and I just need to put the dot on the target. The gun can be shot in weird positions and I just need to put the dot on the target.

I'll just stick with my $300 aimpoint pro for now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong. Meprolight does.
Reread your statement. I stand by my answer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not made of money.

View Quote
I bought a sb a few years ago.  Like a tank
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#24]
The elcan spectre has better glass.
That being said, I hate cowitness height.  ACOG all the way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a high super precision 30mm coming in and figuring out which 1-6 to try.  Obviously it was made for the razor, but for a few hundred more I can get a swarvo.  Or get one of the el cheapos and see if I like the concept.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have a Primary Arms 1-6x Gen III 30mm scope with the CSASS reticle.  It's not tremendous quality or durability, but for $289 as a "test the concept" it's a good deal.  I wish it was FFP though.

My old eyes find themselves needing more and more glass all the time.
I'm there with you.  Mild astigmatism, 46 years of age, and 20/450+ vision have combined to make me put away aperture/post system and move to scopes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was reading an article comparing different ACOGs and it said that the TA-33 is listed as having 1.9" of eye relief, but it is actually closer to 4". Does this match anyone else's experience? I'm trying to figure out which ACOG has the longest eye relief.

Link to article.
View Quote
TA33 all the things!  Long eye relief, nothing like ta01nsn or others i have used.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Considering the first ACOG, the TA01, was introduced in 1987 and folks are still recommending 30 years later, that's quite a record.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong. Meprolight does.
You are right.

but the ACOG prisms is what I originally answered about with the OP.

I think ACOGs and Tritium illuminated optics in general are expensive because of the fact only one company makes prism sights.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You are right.

I think ACOGs and Tritium illuminated optics in general are expensive because of the fact only one company makes prism sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong. Meprolight does.
You are right.

You mean tritium illuminated prism sights?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong. Meprolight does.
You are right.

well reflex and prisms.

Back in the day it was common in scopes. Pretty sure the Europe used tritium for 60 years.

There are surplus scopes with dead elements from all over Europe.

but I mean new on the Us market, they are scarce.

Trijicon Is the only one I know of that uses tritium in their prisms and the Vcog.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
With 1-6/8x quality variables in the same price range, no they are not. I have 2 but paid used prices for them.
View Quote
ACOGs are way lighter than those though.  The good 1-6 optics are usually heavy as a brick.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Its no Elcan

But ACOGs are nice in my book
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I have grown extremely fond of the 1-4/1-6/1-8 optics.

The only fixed magnification optics I have are Aimpoints (ML3/C3) and Vortex red dots.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I can come up with the funds to get either a nice dot, ACOG, or 1-4X.
Never had an ACOG, and it seems sort of neat.
View Quote

Most people really love them OP, so take my comments for what it's worth.

I had a TA33 for a while.  It was a nice optic, but the reality did not match the hype.  Red dot fit my needs better, so I sold my ACOG to someone who could appreciate it, and went with an Aimpoint H-1.  I don't regret my choice.

My expectation is that any serious use of an AR will be at very short range.  I prefer the fast acquisition of the dot sight to the accuracy of a magnifying optic.  I also like that I don't have to get the rifle into the proper position for eye relief with a red dot, which can be useful if in odd shooting positions.

It might be that I would like something other than the TA33 a lot better.  Like I said, it was good but it did not match the hype.

I will say I got a 20 inch AR with no sights on it right now, and an ACOG might work better for that rifle, given what it is.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a TA31 and really like it.  But at ~$1200 NIB I won't be buying any more of them, new anyway.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How is a red dot superior to an acog with bindon aiming concept?
View Quote
For me, it's faster.  Some people do BAC well and some don't.  I do it only so-so with an ACOG.  Interestingly enough I have little problem doing it with conventional tube style optics.

I'm still faster with a red dot though.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I used ACOGs in Iraq and Afghanistan, and i like them. Solid optics.

The only issue I really had was reticle washout - The chevron fading out when aiming from a dark area (indoors or shade) at something illuminated by sunlight. I'd prefer a battery powered 4x like an LED ACOG, ACSS microdot with a magnifier, or a Browe. Carrying around a spare AA or 123 is not a huge burden, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was reading an article comparing different ACOGs and it said that the TA-33 is listed as having 1.9" of eye relief, but it is actually closer to 4". Does this match anyone else's experience? I'm trying to figure out which ACOG has the longest eye relief.

Link to article.
View Quote
I had a TA33 for a while.  I don't know what it's actual eye relief was, but it was quite generous.  Definitely more than 1.9" IMO.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

For me, it's faster.  Some people do BAC well and some don't.  I do it only so-so with an ACOG.  Interestingly enough I have little problem doing it with conventional tube style optics.

I'm still faster with a red dot though.  YMMV.
View Quote

If BAC was equivalent to red dot, why does essentially no CQB unit use ACOGs?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am uneducated about what door kickers use, but I can see why they might prefer something other than an ACOG.  Not knocking the ACOG, it's a fine optic.  My purposes were always better served with an RDS.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I had an ACOG TA01NSN for my Colt M4 rifle and it was adequate. I sold it and bought an Elcan Specter DR 1-4X and it is much better. I like having the 1X and 4X like two scopes in one as well as the choice to switch between an illuminated red dot or plain cross hairs. Plus, it has iron sights on top of the scope itself. The Elcan will cost a little more than the ACOG, but is worth it. Some people will whine and whimper about the weight, but, it is like having two or three scopes in one unit. A little bit of weight never hurt anybody. Unless you're a little girl.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I am uneducated about what door kickers use, but I can see why they might prefer something other than an ACOG.  Not knocking the ACOG, it's a fine optic.  My purposes were always better served with an RDS.
View Quote
ACOG is a great optic.

the industry is awash in optics but ACOG is on the short list of what should be considered acceptable for combat.  But it has limitations and technology has moved on. When batteries were horribly inefficient, tritium made a lot of sense.  Now with modern battery life, the tritium is holding it back along with the use of the fiber optic tube.  

There are many people on here who have LOTS more experience in combat than I do.  Some of them are posting.

A range optic and a combat optic are two very different things.  Sometimes there is a Venn overlap.  But just because something works on the range, doesn't mean it works in the real world.

On a slightly related note...

I frankly don't get the Elcan love.  Never liked that thing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
USMC FAST

But to be fair I do prefer RDS for urban areas
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#44]
40mm on a CQB team.

Bold strategy, cotton.

Fake Ass Seal Team.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
40mm on a CQB team.

Bold strategy, cotton.

Fake Ass Seal Team.
View Quote
The thing with MOUT is that one minute you're kicking in doors, then you're up on the roof fighting with insurgents across a court yard.

We used both rockets and 203s.

Fallujah 04

More ACOGS in Fallujah 04

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
40mm on a CQB team.

Bold strategy, cotton.

Fake Ass Seal Team.
View Quote
Everyone should have 203's.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
40mm on a CQB team.

Bold strategy, cotton.

Fake Ass Seal Team.
View Quote
Haha!

And that first gen sopmod flashlight!  that belongs in a collection, not in combat!
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The thing with MOUT is that one minute you're kicking in doors, then you're up on the roof fighting with insurgents across a court yard.

We used both rockets and 203s.

Fallujah 04
https://www.americangrit.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/marinesfallujah.jpg
View Quote

If that is a hostage rescue, then throwing a frag makes you a seal.

that said, why does everyone else seem to just be watching/taking pictures?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
40mm on a CQB team.

Bold strategy, cotton.

Fake Ass Seal Team.
Including me 
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If that is a hostage rescue, then throwing a frag makes you a seal.

that said, why does everyone else seem to just be watching/taking pictures?
View Quote
I don't know. That is 3/1. We had a guy imbeded with us just taking pics. We would generally wait untill the frag was out before we did anyhing.

Did you guys move in and then throw the frag? Seems kinda backwards to me.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top