BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How are you qualifying your new customers?

I like to make it clear over the phone that I will not be the cheapest, that usually opens the diologue on what they're cost expectations are. I try to decide if they're going to be a good customer or not before I show up. Good qualifying can eleminate 75% or more of your tire kickers and save you time and money.

View Quote

When I hear someone start asking about prices right away, or someone that is just looking for a ballpark over the phone, or someone who tells me how easy the work is and how they just don't feel like doing it themselves, I will usually mention that we are not the cheapest contractor and that we sell our work based on great service and solid work instead of just a cheap price.  Those people usually say "Ok, thanks" and hang up because they were only looking for the lowest price.  Great, it saved me a trip.

For the other customers who don't come off as only looking for the cheapest contractor out there, how do you word it?  

I don't want to just come out and tell all customers that I am not the cheapest because even a good customer who is willing to pay more for good work might think that I am only telling him that because I am way too high.  Ya know what I mean?  I wouldn't want to scare off good customers.  That's why I am curious how you word it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm the paid estimator for a roofing company.  Our rates are not quite as high as yours, but we have a minimum charge and we tell our clients upfront: to get two men and a truck with all their tools, materials, and equipment on it to roll out takes that minimum fee.   We do give free roof surveys, repair estimates, and re roof prices.  We give a free report on the condition of their roof, complete with photos.  Our clients understand exactly what they're getting and they sign a contract before we schedule any work to be done.  They get honest value for their money, and we guarantee all work unless specifically noted in the contract.

You have to choose whether you want to structure your company for growth or to maintain its present size.   Growth means hiring more people, assuming more overhead in the form of administrative costs, and it means you stop doing the work and sales becomes your full-time occupation.  You'll also have to figure out if there's enough business in your area to support that growth.  

There are no pat answers.   I wish you the best of luck.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How closely do you track your guys time?  Accurate job costing is important for good business decisions and generally overlooked.  It's possible that even at $100/hr you make nothing on the small jobs (and shouldn't even be doing them) and that your larger jobs appear to cost you more than they really do (so you overquote and lose work).

disclaimer --> not an accountant, just like helping out small businesses

View Quote

Sometimes those smaller jobs could be a loss like you mentioned (especially when they are further away and have a lot of drive time), but we have to take them.  They are one of the better ways to get new customers, so in the long run they are often worth it.

I spend a lot of my "free time" breaking down completed jobs, it's pretty easy to do with service work so I could see what is more profitable.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Only think I can add, is get away from residential work. They all want something for next to nothing.
View Quote

When I can get somebody to show up, and do the work in a timely fashion with decent workmanship, I'm happy as a pig in shit to pay them what they ask.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of the contractors in this area will charge a service fee to diagnose the problem....say $35.  

If you hire them to do the job, then they credit your account the $35 previously paid.  I am fine with that as I know their time is money.  I don't work for free and I don't expect them to either.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When I hear someone start asking about prices right away, or someone that is just looking for a ballpark over the phone, or someone who tells me how easy the work is and how they just don't feel like doing it themselves, I will usually mention that we are not the cheapest contractor and that we sell our work based on great service and solid work instead of just a cheap price.  Those people usually say "Ok, thanks" and hang up because they were only looking for the lowest price.  Great, it saved me a trip.

For the other customers who don't come off as only looking for the cheapest contractor out there, how do you word it?  

I don't want to just come out and tell all customers that I am not the cheapest because even a good customer who is willing to pay more for good work might think that I am only telling him that because I am way too high.  Ya know what I mean?  I wouldn't want to scare off good customers.  That's why I am curious how you word it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How are you qualifying your new customers?

I like to make it clear over the phone that I will not be the cheapest, that usually opens the diologue on what they're cost expectations are. I try to decide if they're going to be a good customer or not before I show up. Good qualifying can eleminate 75% or more of your tire kickers and save you time and money.

Mainly I'm trying to find out if price is their primary motivator. I usually follow up that statement and make sure they understand I am competitive but my price reflects the quality of my work. I was taught not to be afraid to lose the sale, some times when selling we get caught up in the chase of work and end up with jobs that really cost us money, maybe not in labor and materials but in time working the deal and head ache. It seems kind of stupid or simple but I try to run under the philosophy of go after the easy work and abandon the problem children early in search of more profitable work.

You may be doing this already, I know it wasn't natural for me at first but after I stopped chasing the hard to please customers I started closing a lot more because my time was being spent better.

Just my two cents, everyone has their own methods.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some of the contractors in this area will charge a service fee to diagnose the problem....say $35.  

If you hire them to do the job, then they credit your account the $35 previously paid.  I am fine with that as I know their time is money.  I don't work for free and I don't expect them to either.
View Quote

The problem with that type of billing is that usually the diagnosing of the problem is the hard part.  Most issues that people call to be repaired are rather small fixes, such as a loose connection, bad breaker or device, etc.  

I can't see how $35 is enough for any business in any part of the country to diagnose electrical problems.  

Unless they are charging you $35 to find the loose connection and $80 to tighten the screw  But then the customer will want to tighten the screw himself
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Easy. Stop doing free estimates. Tell those shit-fucks to go find another cocksucker to work for free. I bet you will keep more business than you realize.

Also never extend credit.

These great "marketing ideas" you think you need are just shit you think you need. Cut the shit and charge a fair wage and you'll start making money.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Easy. Stop doing free estimates. Tell those shit-fucks to go find another cocksucker to work for free. I bet you will keep more business than you realize.

Also never extend credit.

These great "marketing ideas" you think you need are just shit you think you need. Cut the shit and charge a fair wage and you'll start making money.
View Quote

If only it were that easy...

The truth is that I just ramped up my SEO in order to get more calls.  I am looking to increase business right now due to the Fall slow-down.  If I were to stop giving free estimates, it would seriously diminish my new business which is the opposite of what I am trying to achieve right now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#10]
95% of the general public has never ran a business or even been in a supervisory position so their understanding of business is limited to gross profit on one transaction. full costs of doing business is a foreign concept to them.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I imagine a lot of people think this because they work for someone else and just draw a paycheck at an hourly rate that does not show the extra healthcare, workmen's comp, building rent and utilities costs that their employer has to charge for.

For example, Suzi makes spreadsheets for her employer and she gets $25/hour to do it.

Her employer charges $100/hr to its customer for her work, which Suzy has no clue about.  Her employer has to cover the costs to get someone to bring in the work for her to do, plus all of the expenses of utilities, etc.

So a technician who works for a contractor shows up to her house, and charges her $100 to spend 30 minutes replacing an outlet, and she says, Holy Crap you make too much money!

But that tech will only see $25 out of that $100 in his paycheck.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If just 1 person learned that when we charge $100/hr we don't actually MAKE anywhere near that, my job is done

I imagine a lot of people think this because they work for someone else and just draw a paycheck at an hourly rate that does not show the extra healthcare, workmen's comp, building rent and utilities costs that their employer has to charge for.

For example, Suzi makes spreadsheets for her employer and she gets $25/hour to do it.

Her employer charges $100/hr to its customer for her work, which Suzy has no clue about.  Her employer has to cover the costs to get someone to bring in the work for her to do, plus all of the expenses of utilities, etc.

So a technician who works for a contractor shows up to her house, and charges her $100 to spend 30 minutes replacing an outlet, and she says, Holy Crap you make too much money!

But that tech will only see $25 out of that $100 in his paycheck.

This sums it up pretty well.  The funny thing is even people who should know about business still have things to say.  Doctors, lawyers, dentists, all well know in the trades as being sum of the worst customers since they often see us as little peons and when they break down the cost of the job and see how much we charge per hour they get mad thinking it's what we actually make.

Ehhh, what can ya do.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top