Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#1]
something aint right here...why is everything in the pic blurry accept the door address? and why is the glass door convexed but the address not?...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Clipped this from a forum where the owner tried to explain..

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

erfume Planet Offline

This is the manager of the store in question in this thread. We were closed on last Friday for the observance of the martyrdom of Imam Ali (A.S.).

We are closed every year on two religious holidays - Ramadan 21st (martyrdom of Imam Ali A.S.) and Moharram 10th (martyrdom of Imam Hussain A.S.). This year coincidently Ramadan 21st fell on September 11th. Muslims follow the lunar calendar and it moved forward by 10 days every year as compared to the Gregorian calendar.

While the timing of the day was unfortunate, we still realize our grave mistake with the sign that we put up. It was worded incorrectly and we understand how it could have been misconstrued. We sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding that this has caused. We have put up an apology on our store stating all this and clarifying our position - the text of which follows here:

September 14, 2009

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

This is in regards to the sign that was posted on our premises on September 11, 2009 stating that “We will be closed on Friday, September 11, 2009 to commemorate the martyrdom of Imam Ali (A.S.)”

Imam Ali is an important personality in Islam and his martyrdom took place on Ramadan 21st in the year 661 A.D. Ramadan 21st is a religious holiday for Muslims worldwide. Coincidently, Ramadan 21st this year was on Friday, September 11.

Our store was closed to commemorate this important event in Islamic history. We did not mean to offend anybody by our actions. We apologize immensely for any offense that this might have caused. We are proud Americans and deeply regret the events of September 11, 2001. Our prayers and condolences are always with the families of the men and women who lost their lives that day.

We once again apologize for any misunderstandings that might have been caused.

Sincerely,

Manager,
Perfume Planet.

We spoke to local TV channels trying to clarify the situation earlier today as well - the news stories can be seen here:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7018149

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090916_jj_harwin-shop-911_090916.187edc6f2.html

We hope all this clears up any misconceptions and misunderstandings that were caused. If anybody has any questions, please feel free to PM me and I will be more than glad to answer them. Once again, we sincerely apologize for our actions.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, who is Imam Ali?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali

Their store, their business. They can do as they wish.

And it's an important Imam/mullah to them from about 1500 years ago... If it were some current uber-radical who got waxed recently, I could see being offended or suspicious...

Meh... color me underwhelmed.

Same here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm confused about what I should be upset about.

Perhaps the fact that a store in the United States of America would be closed on SEPTEMBER 11, 2009 in memory of Imam Ali who died 1400 years ago ––rather than in memory of 2800 US citizens who were murdered eight years ago by followers of Imam Ali. Maybe something like that?

Well, to play devils advocate.  Ali did die first, and it was approximately on Sept 11th.  Why did you think they picked that day?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to have to write this one off as an honest mistake.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps the fact that a store in the United States of America would be closed on SEPTEMBER 11, 2009 in memory of Imam Ali who died 1400 years ago ––rather than in memory of 2800 US citizens who were murdered eight years ago by followers of Imam Ali. Maybe something like that?

or perhaps... since we're wrapping up ramadan on sunday here.... they're muslim americans- and the death of imam ali just happens to coincide with our 11 september.... guess what- if we used a different calender and jesus's birthday fell on 11 september would your store be closed for 9/11 or for christmas...

wake up and quit following blind hatred.... not ALL muslims are bad people....

some dumb shit here

Well said, I bet a lot of people getting that email are thinking that "Imam Ali" was a terrorist involved in the 9/11 Terrorist Attacks.

But non the less they should have thought that through a little better.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sooo, this "Imam" got his 72 white raisins?

(So much can be lost in translation...)

Actually, that might be the correct translation...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

or perhaps... since we're wrapping up ramadan on sunday here.... they're muslim americans- and the death of imam ali just happens to coincide with our 11 september.... guess what- if we used a different calender and jesus's birthday fell on 11 september would your store be closed for 9/11 or for christmas...

some dumb shit here

I never thought I'd say this, but I am amazed at the amount of self-control and rational thinking displayed in this thread.

It was completely unexpected.

Of course there are the usual "burn the store down" idiots, but aside from that, I am impressed at the level of restraint.

I'm actually amazed at the level of apologists.

It's no wonder why the Democrats can say whatever they want and get away with it..............
Yeah...No.

I'm just impressed someone did actual RESEARCH before going apeshit.

I agree the sign was in bad taste, and the owner would have had to have his head WAAAY up his ass not to see the implications.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Read my post above.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

some dumb shit here

All they really had to do is post a "closed for business" sign for the day. The sign was written up like this for a reason.

Exactly..Imam Ali has nothing to do with 9/11 but you can connect the dots, its not hard.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#11]
GOD DAMNIT....THE 1ST AMENDMENT IS ONLY FOR US CHRISTIANS....ALL OF YOU TOWEL-HEADS AND JEWS CAN GO FUCK YOURSELVES.

I figured I'd jump on the intolerance bandwagon since we all know there are is no such thing as a peace-loving, patriotic American muslim

ETA:  Yes, I was being sarcastic...this whole thread is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow. I don't even. Wow.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Meh. Only crime was not thinking it through completely... And they made amends for it.

There should be no outrage.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, to play devils advocate.  Ali did die first, and it was approximately on Sept 11th.  Why did you think they picked that day?

Ramadan was in November in '01.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#15]
What?

Their religious holiday fell on 9/11 this year (not in 01, but this year)...

So what?

They aren't terrorists...

They aren't closed to 'honor the martyrdom of the hijackers'...

Nothing wrong with what he did at all...

Might have made business sense to include something about prayers for the families of the victims of 9/11/01, or similar...

But there was nothing wrong with what he did...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if there's an attack on the 25th of December we should quit celebrating Christmas?

I don't care what you celebrate, why you celebrate or when you celebrate it, but hanging a sign like that was done to make a point, nothing else. The point of that sign is "Fuck America," and the people who posted that sign should suffer whatever that message brings to their door in the marketplace of ideas as well as in the literal marketplace.

Demonstrations, boycotts, protests, etc. before you accuse me of something I didn't say...

Hanging a sign to tell your customers you'll be closed on a specific day for a holiday is making a political statement now?  Dude, I like you.  You're a great guy, but come on, that's really stretching.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#17]
What part of "Freedom of Religion" are we having trouble with ?

The Chinese restaraunt in " Christmas Story " was the only place open when Ralphie's dog ate the turkey. Should Ralphie have shot the place up for dissin' on
Jesus ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is it seriously your contention that what I object to is the fact that they were closed on September 11th?

If I lived in Hiroshima, Japan and ran a business there, do you think it would be smart or culturally sensitive of me to close my store on August 6th with a note in the window written in Kanji stating that I was doing so in commemoration of the birthday of Colonel Paul Tibbets or Robert Oppenheimer? If I did so, do you think some culturally or historically aware Japanese might object? Do you think I'd get any fucking sympathy for my economic woes following such a finger in the eye of my targeted customer base?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

some dumb shit here

All they really had to do is post a "closed for business" sign for the day. The sign was written up like this for a reason.

On every business around here that's closed on a holiday puts up a sign stating what holiday they're closing for.  Every single one of them.  How is this any different?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
sura 5-33. The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter;

tell me  isalm is peacful LOL
sura 8-67. It is not fitting for an apostle that he should have prisoners of war until he hath thoroughly subdued the land. Ye look for the temporal goods of this world; but Allah looketh to the Hereafter: And Allah is Exalted in might, Wise.

68. Had it not been for a previous ordainment from Allah, a severe penalty would have reached you for the (ransom) that ye took.

69. But (now) enjoy what ye took in war, lawful and good: but fear Allah. for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

sura 9-5. But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, an seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.  

So.... What does this have to do with a store being closed on a Muslim holiday?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Want to bet I know more Muslims than you? Have more Muslim friends than you?

Blind hatred? You don't know what you're talking about. At least I capitalize their religion for fuck's sake.

Actually their religion is Called Islam, An adherent of Islam is a Muslim, meaning "one who submits".

The word Muslim is the participle of the same verb of which Islām is the infinitive.

Shows how much you know.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The
Chinese restaraunt in " Christmas Story " was the only place open when
Ralphie's dog ate the turkey. Should Ralphie have shot the place up for
dissin' on

Jesus ?

Probably would have shot his eye out first.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blind hatred? You don't know what you're talking about. At least I capitalize their religion for fuck's sake.

really, you think so?

may wanna make sure of the fact first

Come on Marines.  Let's chill out here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#24]
You support terrorism, you are a terrorist.  It amazes me how people can let something like this stand.  Burn the joint down.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like a lot of ignorant people overreacted to something they don't understand.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Chinese restaraunt in " Christmas Story " was the only place open when Ralphie's dog ate the turkey. Should Ralphie have shot the place up for dissin' on
Jesus ?

We all know that there are only 4 approved faiths here on Arfcom....Christianity, Judaism, and Atheism, and Agnostic.  If you're not one of those, then you fall under article A, paragraph r, subection f, line 15 which says that all other people are evil and are constantly trying to subvert the US.  Hell, I think we shoulda killed all them Japanese folks we rounded up back in WWII.  Everyone knows you can't trust a Jap when you're at war with their homeland.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You support terrorism, you are a terrorist.  It amazes me how people can let something like this stand.  Burn the joint down.  

I guess knowing what the fuck you're talking about...or at least reading the thread....before saying something stupid never occured to you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, but it's in September this year. 26th day just happened to fall on 9/11.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You have evidence that the owners of this perfume shop are terrorist sympathisers?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

can you explain how being closed for a religious holiday is supporting terrorism?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#31]
after the snopes, no outrage...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, but it's in September this year. 26th day just happened to fall on 9/11.

I must have quoted the wrong post.  I was looking for the one implying 9/11/01 was chosen for its signifigance.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it seriously your contention that what I object to is the fact that they were closed on September 11th?

If I lived in Hiroshima, Japan and ran a business there, do you think it would be smart or culturally sensitive of me to close my store on August 6th with a note in the window written in Kanji stating that I was doing so in commemoration of the birthday of Colonel Paul Tibbets or Robert Oppenheimer? If I did so, do you think some culturally or historically aware Japanese might object? Do you think I'd get any fucking sympathy for my economic woes following such a finger in the eye of my targeted customer base?

Your analogy is flawed and misleading because Col. Tibets and Oppenheimer were closely related to the bombing.  Whereas Imam Ali HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SEPTEMBER 11TH.  An appropriate analogy would be that you closed your store on August 6th to celebrate a Christian martyr (actually Good Friday would be a better analogy still).
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

See, the issue there is that's a false analogy.  No religion that I'm aware of celebrates Paul Tibbets or Oppenheimer's birthday.  So there is no precedence there for you to do that for any other reason to be insulting.  So anyone pissed off at that would probably be perfectly justified since it would be obvious your intent was to offend.

Some Imam from 1400 years ago had nothing to do with the 9/11 attacks, and they are simply closing for a religious holiday.  One they've, by the owners own admission, always closed on, and probably will continue to do so.  If the 9/11 attacks never even happened, this store owner would still be celebrating that holiday, and the sign would still be hung.  So the intent is, on its face, not to be offensive, but to inform their customers that they will be closed on that specific religious holiday.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually their religion is Called Islam, An adherent of Islam is a Muslim, meaning "one who submits".

The word Muslim is the participle of the same verb of which Islām is the infinitive.

Shows how much you know.

It could be argued either way whether the word is a proper noun or not.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Read this before deciding:

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/photos/martyr.asp

Sign was still in bad taste though.

convenient excuse

:  "Oh I didn't realize it was 9/11."

uh-huh

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if there's an attack on the 25th of December we should quit celebrating Christmas?

Don't use logic on the misguided fools, they are immune.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#38]
This is like dupealicious.  LaRue posted this same thing last week.  

You're getting pissed off about last weeks news.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=378117
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Your analogy is flawed and misleading because Col. Tibets and Oppenheimer were closely related to the bombing.  Whereas Imam Ali HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SEPTEMBER 11TH.  An appropriate analogy would be that you closed your store on August 6th to celebrate a Christian martyr (actually Good Friday would be a better analogy still).

Your analysis of my analogy is way off base. Neither the bombing of Hiroshima nor the greater Allied war effort were undertaken in the name of any Christian religion. There wasn't a crucifix painted on Little Boy or the Enola Gay. The September 11th attacks, however, were carried out specifically in the name of Islam ––"Allahu Akbar" being the last thing heard over the radio before the planes went in–– and Imam Ali is a significant, venerated figure in Islam.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't use logic on the misguided fools, they are immune.

I'm not going to say Jarhead_22 is a misguided fool.  He's just angry and not thinking about this clearly.  I truly do respect the man.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
brick meet window

molotov meet store

You hit the nail on the head.

Hell yeah! Damn Semites!!!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your analysis of my analogy is way off base. Neither the bombing of Hiroshima nor the greater Allied war effort were undertaken in the name of any Christian religion. There wasn't a crucifix painted on Little Boy or the Enola Gay. The September 11th attacks, however, were carried out specifically in the name of Islam ––"Allahu Akbar" being the last thing heard over the radio before the planes went in–– and Imam Ali is a significant, venerated figure in Islam.

Well, specifically they were carried out in the name of a specific sects interpretation of Islam.  Not of Islam as a whole.  You have to remember that to the monsters that perpetrated 9/11, other Muslims who don't agree with their view of Islam are hated just as much.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that is one of the only situations where smashing the store front and burning the fucker down should be legal.

Why? Because they're commemorating a religious leader that died 1400 years go?  That's like smashing someones window because they're closed for Easter.

He really wants to stick it to those radical extremists and their perfume store.

Damn them, those lavender-scented terrorists!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Lots of misplaced aggression in this thread...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that is one of the only situations where smashing the store front and burning the fucker down should be legal.

Why? Because they're commemorating a religious leader that died 1400 years go?  That's like smashing someones window because they're closed for Easter.

Didn't do my research.  Assumed it was a hijacker.  I really have no problem now that I know the facts

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Exactly, but the cult of die-versity will always make amends for the mu-slimes for even the most ourtrageous acts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#47]
They were definitely going for shock value with this one.  It was not a mistake or misunderstanding.  I call bullshit on the explanation from snopes.com.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact that a particular group of Muslims attacked the U.S in no way makes it inappropriate for Americans to celebrate holidays that their religion has venerated for over a millennium.  

Imam Ali has as much to do with the 9/11/01 attacks as the Virgin Mary has to do with the Inquisition.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

some dumb shit here

On every business around here that's closed on a holiday puts up a sign stating what holiday they're closing for.  Every single one of them.  How is this any different?

It was worded by either an idiot or someone who knew it would create "waves" and did it deliberately. A reasonably smart person would have said that the Iman died 1400 years ago on Sept 11. They had to have KNOWN that the way it was worded was not going to go over very well.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top