Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
There's some really cool stuff going on at that time.  I'm working with a local community theater, they're staging a retelling of the Prometheus story, and timing it with the eclipse, so as it goes 100%, Prometheus will reach up and steal fire to bring to men. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
This sucks I'm in South Carolina, wish  I can see the total eclipse
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
And Ky, IL will have the longest duration
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
21aug.  Total eclipse of the sun
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What eclipse?  And why is it so popular?
2/11/83.  Total Eclipse of the Heart.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Our closest town is Prineville, OR.  Population 12k, I think.  One of the nearby ranches rented out to a festival, where they are expecting 40,000 people to camp out on just that one property.  Campers are renting tents for $1,500-$2k+ for the week.  It's going to be a complete shitshow in town.

The festival is advertising environmentally friendly shuttles from PDX - which is 150 miles away or so.  Think about that.  A bus holds what - 50 people? It can make how many 300 mile round trips in a day - 3?  To move 10k people in and out will require a fleet of 70 buses going in and out of this little town for 24 hours straight.  Add to that the cars for people driving, and the logistics for moving about 200 music bands in and out.  And that's just for one venue.  Other ranches are renting out for different events, too . .plus everyone else who are just planning on driving in and camping wherever.  

It's going to be interesting, for sure.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
most likely that will be tax free $

short term rentals of 14 days or less you do not have to pay taxes on the $
View Quote
By what sorcery is this?

ETA: Googled it.  No shit...  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]
When the Olympics came to Salt Lake, there was a good number of folks who rented their houses out... A lot of folks I know claim they made a good amount of money by renting out their house.

I am not sure exactly how much they made...
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#8]
If 40k in WY only covers 4 to 6 months of the owner's cost than that my friend is a bling crib, not a house.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#9]
My ex-wife has a home in South Hampton on the edge of the Shinnecock golf course. She rents it out in the summer for $20k per week. Does that 3 or 4 times a year for "spending" money.  It's a 5 bedroom, pool home worth about $2M. Here in Tampa it'd be a about a $700k home.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If 40k only covers 4 to 6 months of the owner's cost than that my friend is a bling crib, not a house.
View Quote
not here. Shitty houses sell for 1mil+ just for the land.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#11]
IIRC, he lives up around Jackson WY. So I could see that amount. Normal Wyomingnites cannot afford to live there unless they are natives and have been there before all the millionaires moved in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone who needs inexpensive viewing glasses, click here: https://store.astroleague.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=96&zenid=8v5ht1njan2dat54koqat2qhd7

The image of the sun appears dark for my taste, but they are safe and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When the Olympics came to Salt Lake, there was a good number of folks who rented their houses out... A lot of folks I know claim they made a good amount of money by renting out their house.

I am not sure exactly how much they made...
View Quote
My friend lived in the same apartment his entire life, his complex had a ton of tenants that had been there 20+ years. In 2000, the apartment building stopped renewing leases and everyone went month to month. When the Olympics rolled around in 2002, the entire complex got evicted and Federal Agents moved in. My friend tried to stay, but was told he'd have to pay $3,000 per month to continue staying there, so he moved out because that was 6x his rent at the time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like I'll just have to walk outside at that time to see it  They can rent my extra room for 1k.  Looking at the map the eclipse will also be longer here then it will be in WY.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Kentucky Derby around here in a few weeks.

Houses get rented out for the weekend for that kind of money all the time here.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What eclipse?  And why is it so popular?
View Quote
Maybe it's a low mileage show room quality '99 GSX.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#18]
During the US Open Michigan at Oakland Hills some of my neighbors were renting their houses just off the golf course up to $5k/day. These were for the actual golfers and the network tv people. Over the course of the production (crews come early and leave late) it was a three week gig. Network even paid for the hotel accommodations for the people who rented out their homes. for 21 days that's up to $105k
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#19]
No big deal .  $40 k for two weeks ?   People get that for one week here during the Masters tournament .

But I'd rather see an eclipse .

gd
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#20]
When I saw the $40k number I figured someone was renting a house in the Hamptons.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In Wyoming I would expect to buy a house for $40,000.
View Quote
People in Wyoming aren't poor, they have a lot of money, and a lot of land to boot. Being in a remote area, the prices of construction tend to be higher because convincing some random company to drive out in the middle of nowhere is more expensive than in a more populated metropolitan area. When you go out to construction sites, even in the "big" cities in Wyoming, it's not uncommon to see Utah/Idaho license plates on all the workers' trucks. Because of that, houses tend to cost more.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Whoever wants to rent my place just let me know. I'll leave fruit plates in the fridge and have my train set out on the living room floor.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP, that's not really going to happen (the rental, not the eclipse).

I've lived through two HUGE events where everybody in town was going to rent their house out for $87,000. Nobody did.
View Quote
It happens near Pittsburgh. When the PGA is open comes to town, the homes surrounding the golf course get rented for massive sums of money, and many of the renters even hire temporary staff(chefs, bartenders, etc...)to staff the homes they rent for the duration of the event.

Heck, the homes closest to the course were renting out  their yards for parking spaces for like $350 per vehicle per day(the township quickly created an ordinance that citizens could not park extra vehicles on their property, to ensure that they were the only ones making money on parking)
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Could almost pay my house off for that much
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#26]
complete eclipse? over two hours........I suspect they're ready for it..................
The Strain | The master (All face reveals season 1)
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In this thread, some people show that they have zero clue what wealthy people spend on frivolous shit.

"I'll just camp out at the truck stop and sleep on top of my station wagon!  Lot lizards will keep me warm."

In another thread about buying reasonable items(cars/trucks/guns/optics), the mantra becomes...

"Go be poor somewhere else, faggot!!!!1111!!1!one-niner"

LOL. Fucking GD
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Help me understand this.  An 8-10k monthly mortgage for a WY home is not out of the norm?  It's been a while since I was in WY, but damn.  I would love to see said house.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#29]
The 2018 World Equestrian Games are going to be about 7 miles from our farm. I hear it's a big thing for horse people. Cabin rentals and hotel rooms are already getting booked up for the event.  We've got a 107 acre farm with lots of turn out area, a 19 stall barn, and lit riding arena.  I'm trying to talk my wife into hauling her horses off property and renting out our place.    We've got a nice cabin at our hunt club that we could move into for a couple of weeks.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Help me understand this.  An 8-10k monthly mortgage for a WY home is not out of the norm?  It's been a while since I was in WY, but damn.  I would love to see said house.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in Jackson. Housing market is different when you see the Tetons. The rest of Wyoming doesn't even consider us a part of it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#32]
What what's retarded is that it's going to be during the day so light pollution does not matter
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
 Isn't that the day we get the Really Big Earthquake ?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top