Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:23:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Who the hell cares.  

Dogs shows are on par with kid beauty pageants.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:23:50 AM EDT
[#2]

That's a great movie.  Anytime someone in my family is packing for a trip, I remind them to take at least seven kimonos with them.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:27:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never understood this show. You have it broken down by classes, which include working breeds......yet almost none of those dogs could work.

AKC breeding standards have pushed working out of the working breeds.

Everyone wants a handsome GSD, Rottie, Boxer, or Dobie, but no one wants a dog that will rip a mother fuckers leg off for breaking in your house

Personally I want the show working breeds to hold working titles.

The best breeding stock for Boxers should be SchH3 with no hip issue, and good ears for cropping. But try finding a Boxer that's got good drive for bite work now, its damn sad. They are there but you got to go to Europe to get one and you can get screwed then end up with a junk dog.

If I hit the lottery I'm going to start a working Boxer kennel and give those mother fuckers out to PD's and Sheriffs Departments. I would put working Boxers back on the map.

I dont beleive the term "Working" is specific to police/guard duty.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:41:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok I'll admit I watched some of the show yesterday afternoon. Of course thats because my best friends wife was showing a husky for someone. the dog ended up taking second in breed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
best in show was a movie,
real people don't act like that...

oh wait

Update: Stewart's dog also probably had the most expensive pre-show meal. Below, he and Stewart dining at the Plaza on Sunday.  Note the excellent table manners — and Martha's are okay, too. Even if Ghengis hadn't taken the prize, he would have been the fanciest dog at the show.

http://googlepixel.com/pictars/a_560x375.jpg

Martha Stewart is dating an Ewok?  

Martha, prepare your anus!

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:46:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought this thread was going to be about obscure European politics.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:48:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought  the Irish setter was the best looking dog there.

The Pincher showed the best and I thought that one would win.

I'm not a GSD fan really, but that was a beautiful example of the breed standard.

Even the Dalmation was a great looking dog too.

I wanted to punt that little ball of fur across the floor though. Really? A Peke?
Toy dogs shouldnt be allowed to breed......
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Pekingese my ass.......I'll stick with my heeler.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:01:47 AM EDT
[#9]
There is something homoerotic about this thread....

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:03:06 AM EDT
[#10]
There is something homoerotic about this thread....

Sorry, doublefap
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:32:39 AM EDT
[#11]
actually the gsd isnt even in the working category

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never understood this show. You have it broken down by classes, which include working breeds......yet almost none of those dogs could work.

Everyone wants a handsome GSD, Rottie, Boxer, or Dobie, but no one wants a dog that will rip a mother fuckers leg off for breaking in your house

The best breeding stock for Boxers should be SchH3 with no hip issue, and good ears for cropping. But try finding a Boxer that's got good drive for bite work now, its damn sad. They are there but you got to go to Europe to get one and you can get screwed then end up with a junk dog.

If I hit the lottery I'm going to start a working Boxer kennel and give those mother fuckers out to PD's and Sheriffs Departments. I would put working Boxers back on the map.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:33:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My fucking head just exploded.

Fuck me running.

I know, I know!! I was rooting for the GSD!!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:34:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Adorable, but still a mop with legs.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Without a doubt, the gayest thread I've ever seen on ARFCOM. And I rarely call something gay.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Without a doubt, the gayest thread I've ever seen on ARFCOM. And I rarely call something gay.

Because we Love Dogs????

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:42:48 AM EDT
[#16]
dog shows, made for women
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:45:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I am not following.

I'm not a dog show fan, but I understood that the winner was supposed to be the one that best represents it's breed.

If the mop-dog in question is the shining example of the perfect mop-dog, why shouldnt it have won?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I didn't know mosquitoes were eligible.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boxers are made for protection and being a catch dog.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:13:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm partial to big mutts myself, but Pekes are cool little critters, assuming you give 'em a haircut and don't treat them like prissy dolls. They'll roll around in dirt, eat snow, and stick their head out the window of a moving truck, just like any other breed.

They open up around people they're comfortable with. They're like live action cartoons, funny as hell. I've never been in the presence of another animal that was so entertaining. I can't really explain it.

My Aunt had two, but one passed away last year. I miss the little bastard.

My parents have two pekes and also foster one or two additional rescue dogs. They're great little dogs if you want a small one and are often quite entertaining and loving as you said. They keep theirs cut short, many people do.  The long hair is more of a show thing. They also owned registered and field trial champion bred English setters as well as labs back when my dad hunted.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#21]
My Peke is not a punk bitch.  

She doesn't fit the "breed standard" as well as the rest of the litter she came from (lower maint.=works for me).  They are all have the typical Pekingese coat.  She has a shorter, softer coat; more like a Tibetan Spaniel.

My wife wanted a cat, I got her the dog.  Living in an urban apartment, I find it would be unfair to it to have a larger breed.  Some of my neighbors have some, otherwise, beautiful dogs.  Most of them are obese because they spend most of their time pent up in apartment and don't get the exercise they need.  A pair of huskies are a great example.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because we Love Dogs????

No. Because you are butt hurt over what dog won a dog show. Sorry, it's queer.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't care for Pekingese myself.

BigDozer66

Why not?

They are a multi-function dag:

1-When it pisses on the floor you know an intruder has entered your house.

2-Then you can stick a broom handle up it's ass and mop the floor with it.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Peaks may not be your ideal dog, but at least it's not a cat ;)

Its pretty amazing what forms can be bred out from a wolf

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Fuck me running.

You're arguy42's boss, aren't you?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#26]
They're always biased against working or sporting breeds

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Fuck me running.

Mine did too......told the wife that the fucking toy will win and when it did I snapped off the T.V.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I really don't care who "wins" the Victoria Secret Fashion TV Show either
I just like to watch the fancy mammals parade about.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the best movies on this subject ( documentary if you will) is Best in Show. I highly recommend it

I've seen it unfortunately.

I can't believe those people

pretty accurate too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Pekingese my ass.......I'll stick with my heeler.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/unclepie/IMG_0252-1.jpg

the heeler in the herding class was a good looking dog, too bad he didn't win.

here's mine
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I really don't care who "wins" the Victoria Secret Fashion TV Show either
I just like to watch the fancy mammals parade about.

I see what you see there.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am not following.

I'm not a dog show fan, but I understood that the winner was supposed to be the one that best represents it's breed.

If the mop-dog in question is the shining example of the perfect mop-dog, why shouldnt it have won?

Because it's a pussy dog, and GSD's, Rotties, and Huskies are kick ass, cool men's dogs and this is AMERICA!!!!  FUCK YEAH!!!  

Only time I ever watched a dog show was when my mother was watching.  It's kind of neat to see all the different breeds, but I'd much rather watch agility tests and retrievers doing long jumps into a pool, if I had to watch a dog show that is.

Otherwise, who cares?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dog "shows" held independently from working trials have been the death knell for the working and sporting breeds in the USA.  Sadly, from what I hear the show circuit is killing the breeds in Europe too.

If the dogs don't have working titles they shouldn't meet the breed standard IMHO.

My sister has a 90+lb black lab that can't be shown, because he doesn't meet conformation...never mind he holds a HRCH title and is an incredible gun dog.

To be an appropriate breeding prospect the dog should exhibit BOTH the proper conformation and the ability to do the work the breed was created for. This is where dog shows have failed miserably- the focus is on conformation only. Some breed clubs have working standards and there are all sorts of working titles a dog with he correct temperament can earn, but proof of working ability is totally irrelevant in an AKC type dog show.

His hips are great(x-rayed) and the only part of conformation he fails is the size... basically take a regular lab and multiply him by 1.25 in all dimensions and you've got her dog.

Pics:

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The slang usage of "Working dog" tends to mean that the dog does some sort of bite work.

You are correct though, that in the big picture "work" for a dog can and does encompass a huge number of activities.

The various breeds all had a job when they were created. Many breeds have specific jobs like a Pointer, catch dog or flock guardian. Other breeds were created to perform multifaceted jobs.

Where dog shows are complete failures is that they do not test and evaluate the ability of the dog to do it's job, what ever that job may be.

If dog shows meant something, no dog would ever win best in breed or best in show unless it was BOTH the best example of the proper conformation AND performed it's job better than any other sample of the breed present at the show. A retriever should retrieve. A pointer should point. A catch dog should catch. A protection dog should protect. A hound should trail. And on and on.

Even if the breeds only purpose was to sit on a lady's lap and keep her warm, the dog should prove it can do it's "job". The damn dog should be able to sit quietly in a lap for extended periods of time. A "lap dog" that constantly barks, nips at people, demands things and is a general nuisance is a poor example of a lap dog and shouldn't be bred.

AKC dog shows are damn near worthless.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dog "shows" held independently from working trials have been the death knell for the working and sporting breeds in the USA.  Sadly, from what I hear the show circuit is killing the breeds in Europe too.

If the dogs don't have working titles they shouldn't meet the breed standard IMHO.

My sister has a 90+lb black lab that can't be shown, because he doesn't meet conformation...never mind he holds a HRCH title and is an incredible gun dog.

To be an appropriate breeding prospect the dog should exhibit BOTH the proper conformation and the ability to do the work the breed was created for. This is where dog shows have failed miserably- the focus is on conformation only. Some breed clubs have working standards and there are all sorts of working titles a dog with he correct temperament can earn, but proof of working ability is totally irrelevant in an AKC type dog show.

His hips are great(x-rayed) and the only part of conformation he fails is the size... basically take a regular lab and multiply him by 1.25 in all dimensions and you've got her dog.

Pics:

http://fangamers.net/imagehosting/1734f3c004a4a10f.jpg

http://fangamers.net/imagehosting/1734f3c004a5b74c.jpg

Sounds like it is a great performer! Oversize dogs do occasionally happen even with the best breeding programs. Placing an oversize dog in a home like hers where the dog can work and be loved is right where he belongs.

Size does matter. The breed standards were established, usually for good reasons. A good example of a Lab should be a dog that isn't too much of a problem in a boat or blind and the breed standard reflects that size. The standards should be adhered to when it comes to selecting breeding stock. In theory that is what dog shows are for, but in reality the shows focus on looks and ignore the breeds ability to 'work'.

A lab that doesn't perform shouldn't be bred, just like an oversize Lab shouldn't be bred.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics:

Sounds like it is a great performer! Oversize dogs do occasionally happen even with the best breeding programs. Placing an oversize dog in a home like hers where the dog can work and be loved is right where he belongs.

Size does matter. The breed standards were established, usually for good reasons. A good example of a Lab should be a dog that isn't too much of a problem in a boat or blind and the breed standard reflects that size. The standards should be adhered to when it comes to selecting breeding stock. In theory that is what dog shows are for, but in reality the shows focus on looks and ignore the breeds ability to 'work'.

A lab that doesn't perform shouldn't be bred, just like an oversize Lab shouldn't be bred.

He came from mediocre stock, my sister only paid like 100 bucks for him. The funny thing is, his trainer also worked with this dogs brother, and couldn't get him to do anything...but this dog is perfect and titled out the ass, and even ran in the Grand before he was 2 years old. Luck of the draw basically. His brothers that aren't near as active as him are over 110 lbs, he works and is active so it slimmed him down to more of a lanky build...

He is a big dog, but he does make up for it by being well behaved when it's work time.

He's already something of a local legend, and she's planning on breeding him with a friend's black lab. They already have people lined up wanting pups.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#39]
I had a Pekingese... loved that dog.

Unlike these stupid fucks:

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Can't decide which is uglier.....a pekingnese or the first lady.

It really depends, what breed is the first lady representing?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics:

He came from mediocre stock, my sister only paid like 100 bucks for him. The funny thing is, his trainer also worked with this dogs brother, and couldn't get him to do anything...but this dog is perfect and titled out the ass, and even ran in the Grand before he was 2 years old. Luck of the draw basically. His brothers that aren't near as active as him are over 110 lbs, he works and is active so it slimmed him down to more of a lanky build...

He is a big dog, but he does make up for it by being well behaved when it's work time.

He's already something of a local legend, and she's planning on breeding him with a friend's black lab. They already have people lined up wanting pups.

I wish your sister the best of luck, but I hope she realizes that since he doesn't come from a proven line, or even a single litter of performers, the odds of him producing good performing pups are not in her favor. On the other hand, since he does come from a oversize family, the odds of him producing more oversize pups is actually fairly high.

Hopefully she will do some research before she breeds.  I don't mean to be negative and perhaps I'm assuming too much about someone I don't know at all, but it really doesn't sound like she has a good grasp of genetics and breeding.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics:

I wish your sister the best of luck, but I hope she realizes that since he doesn't come from a proven line, or even a single litter of performers, the odds of him producing good performing pups are not in her favor. On the other hand, since he does come from a oversize family, the odds of him producing more oversize pups is actually fairly high.

Hopefully she will do some research before she breeds.  I don't mean to be negative and perhaps I'm assuming too much about someone I don't know at all, but it really doesn't sound like she has a good grasp of genetics and breeding.

She never expected or intended to get a dog that performed as well as he has, she mainly just wanted a dog that could handle retriever duties, and never really expected to take him past his 'started' title... once he started performing like he did, she decided to take him as far as he could go. She's a wildlife biology major, so she does have a pretty good grasp of genetics.

The other dog is also an awesome performer, and more in line size-wise with what a lab should be...

To clarify, they haven't been planning to breed them and charge $$$$ to strangers, she's had people that know the dog and his line well tell her for a while now that they'd love a pup if he ever was bred. I think the owner of the female is planning to charge just 4-500 dollars for a pup, and the people buying will be local people in the gun dog circle that know the story.

No they won't be charging $premium$ money, but for the right price a pup from 2 proven performers (both with certified hips) would be a good deal and worth taking a chance on, even if one is a bit big and didn't have a champion bloodline.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#43]
I like seeing the Ridgebacks...
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Hey- send them to me- I love pugs. Best Dogs Ever- and that comes from somebody who grew up with -and loves- GSDs!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey- send them to me- I love pugs. Best Dogs Ever- and that comes from somebody who grew up with -and loves- GSDs!

My friend has 2 pugs that look just like those.  He loaths their existence.  He's just counting the days until they die, so he can get a real dog.    

As for the Dog show..........The pussification of America continues

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#46]
What about the winner didn't exemplify breed standards? I guess you guys have a better TV than I do, because with mine I can't see the dogs well enough to argue with the judges.
Hell, as long as a stupid poodle doesn't win that's good enough for me
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

What about the winner didn't exemplify breed standards? I guess you guys have a better TV than I do, because with mine I can't see the dogs well enough to argue with the judges.

Standard poodles are pretty awesome dogs. Especially if they come from good hunting lines.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Standard poodles are pretty awesome dogs. Especially if they come from good hunting lines.  

One of the most jarring things about growing in Germany as seeing dogs we normally classify as "foofy dogs", such as long-haired/wire-haired dachshunds, and BIG poodles, great big dogs that are taller than GSDs. I saw both dachshunds and poodles were being used as hunting dogs. Dachshunds are fearless against badgers, while poodles will run through water and swamp to get downed fowl. It was something to watch.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Chow-chow chowing down on chow
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top