Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure all the 9mm guys will be along soon to tell you its all about shot placement.  Fuck that...Take a .40
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Well the largest Alaskan brown bear on record for some time, was killed with a .22 LR by an Indian sustenance hunter.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Only OK if you say .22lr will take down 200lbs crack head, otherwise handgun .45 bear min. :-)
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldnt be my first choice but better than a pointy stick.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well the largest Alaskan brown bear on record for some time, was killed with a .22 LR by an Indian sustenance hunter.
View Quote

Too lazy to look up your account, but the indigenous way of hunting bears is to climb into the den while they hibernate and brain them, not quite the same as stopping an attack.

Guy in Denali did stop one with a 45acp a couple summers back, but it was charging his gf not him.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I've killed many bears.  Been within feet of gigantic brown bears. Been bluff charged bygrizzly sows with cubs in tow.  9 mm is a fucking joke.  Ill be shooting a few big bears in June and I'll bring along a 9mm and shoot it in the head a few times.  

458 socom and 460 Rowland for me.  For big bears a 375 RUM.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Big difference between setting up for a shot and being charged.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Sure, some SOB's have been lucky taking down a bear with a .22lr or a knife.  I wouldn't leave that up to luck.  Before I got a .45 I would take my 9mm simply as a noise maker to hopefully scare a black bear off.  What I want is a .460 Rowland conversion for my .45.  Now that would get the job done!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Take the 9mm and a bell.  Keep the shotgun at camp. Don't keep bacon in your pockets though.  Bears tend to be 200-300#s here.  I have done it.  When you can acquire a .44mag then take that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Bella Twin, an Indian girl, and her friend Dave Auger were hunting grouse near Lesser Slave Lake in northern Alberta. The only gun they had was Bella’s single-shot bolt-action .22 Rimfire rifle. They were walking a cutline that had been made for oil exploration when they saw a large grizzly following the same survey line toward them. If they ran, the bear would probably notice them and might chase, so they quietly sat down on a brush pile and hoped that the bear would pass by without trouble. But the bear came much too close, and when the big boar was only a few yards away, Bella Twin shot him in the side of the head with a .22 Long cartridge. The bear dropped, kicked and then lay still. Taking no chances, Bella went up close and fired all of the cartridges she had, seven or eight .22 Longs, into the bear’s head. That bear, killed in 1953, was the world-record grizzly for several years and is still high in the records today. Which only goes to show that in an emergency, strange things are possible, but who wants that kind of emergency?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#11]
That story was a copy pasta.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#12]
A few years ago, a guy picking mushrooms in Oregon killed a charging bear with a 1911.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#13]
10mm in bear country

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#14]
In 2006 a woman in Florida killed a 336lb black bear on her back porch with a .22lr
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In 2006 a woman in Florida killed a 336lb black bear on her back porch with a .22lr
View Quote

I guess if the bullet went into it's eye or ear and entered the brain. Maybe the Bear swallowed it and died of lead...
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#16]
9mm handguns are for people who want to be eaten alive. If I lived in black bear country, and I do, I would go with these for any bear/living predator on the planet:

Marlin 45-70 Lever Gun
Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull Revolver

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Black? Yep. Brown, not a chance.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I guess if the bullet went into it's eye or ear and entered the brain. Maybe the Bear swallowed it and died of lead...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Florida wildlife officials have decided not to press charges against a Carrabelle woman who earlier this month shot and killed a Florida black bear that repeatedly climbed on to the screened-in back porch of her home." Capt. Donald Duval, with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, said FWC Officer Charlie Wood determined the Oct. 1 shooting of a 332-pound male bear by Juanita Brown, of 1674 State Route 67, was justified.

“Mrs. Brown then grabbed a 22-caliber rifle from the corner to the right side of the sliding glass door, the bear turned away from the door quartering to the right, she cracked the door open and started firing at the bear,” wrote Wood in his report.

"It was determined by the officers that Juanita Brown fired 10 times at the bear and hit it six times. Three wounds were on the right side of the spine, from the front shoulder along the neck, and the other three were on the left side of the head and neck, at the jaw and ear and about five inches below the ear. The 10th round fired was not located."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1730439/posts
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I carry a 9mm into bear country all the time. Never thought twice about it. Im more worried about two legged predators in the woods anyways. But i always have a long gun as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Voted yes because 9mm is better than a sharp stick.  Around here we get a couple small black bear sightings a year and we also have a few kitty cats.  My woods sidearm is a g22 but have carried a 9mm as well.  That said I likely have a rifle or shotgun handy as well.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Would you feel adequately armed in black bear territory with 17 rounds of 9mm good quality ammo from a pistol?
View Quote
I'm not aware of any black bear attacks ever where the victim was armed with anything, including a .22.

Black bears are predatory killers.  They kill little kids and old people who are defenseless.  

I would be far more concerned about human predators in any area with black bear, and 9mm works just fine on them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bow hunters do it with less than 9mm.
View Quote

Bow hunting for bear here you can carry a back up handgun, and many do.

I'll be living in bear country soon, used that as my post purchase justification for buying a PTR-91
Never visit my "40" without at least one .44 on my hip.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Friend across town killed a midsized blackbear, on its way out of his chicken coop.
He used a glock19.
Asked how many rounds it took,?
He said "All of them"
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Shit. I think I'd still feel edgy with a 5.56 rifle, and I love carrying my AUG into the woods; but, a 9mm? Fuck that. .308 caliber rifle fed by 20 round magazines at a minimum in bear country. I'm thinking an 18" FAL para...
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#25]
9mm for bear?  That's adorable.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Shit. I think I'd still feel edgy with a 5.56 rifle, and I love carrying my AUG into the woods; but, a 9mm? Fuck that. .308 caliber rifle fed by 20 round magazines at a minimum in bear country. I'm thinking an 18" FAL para...
View Quote

Ditto Daddy-O
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I would certainly say that Alaska would be considered bear country. Does everyone carry battle rifles with them every time they leave their vehicle?

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm sure all the 9mm guys will be along soon to tell you its all about shot placement.  Fuck that...Take a .40
View Quote

9mm muzzle energy: 520 to 700 J
.45 ACP muzzle energy: 480 to 700 J
.40 S&W muzzle energy: 575 to 680 J...If it doesn't blow your gun up that is.  
(All numbers approximate, but you get an idea of their relative "power")

Oh, sorry, it looks like both .45 ACP and 9mm are actually "more powerful" than .40 S&W by an insignificant margin.

More importantly, they all suck, and the only reason they exist is because you can't make a practical semi auto handgun in calibers like:
.308 Winchester - Muzzle energy about 3,800 J
.30-06 - Muzzle energy up to or over 4,000 J
7.92x57IJ - Muzzle energy as high as 4,100 J
(Again, all numbers approximate, but you can see now that pistol rounds suck.)

The lesson here children is that any time you have the option to carry a serious rifle with you and might run into dangerous critters, you probably should go ahead and just carry the rifle.

I wouldn't want to stare down a bear with a handgun.  The major auto pistol cartridges, (9mm, .45 ACP, .40 SW) all have trouble stopping humans.  Humans aren't built nearly as robustly as a bear, and bears have special claws and teeth made specifically to eat other animals...Like humans.  Even carrying a "hand cannon" like a 10mm Auto or .44 Magnum, I think I would still feel under gunned.  Handguns are inherently harder to shoot accurately than a rifle, and particularly difficult to shoot under duress.

If you want me to go strolling through bear country, that's fine, but give me a rifle.  It doesn't need to be fancy.  I would feel quite adequately armed with a Kar-98 or an M1903 (but you'd better make it a Type-C stock cause the others suck.) and some quality ammunition.

ETA: I'd also like to comment a little bit on the "shot placement" comment.  It doesn't matter how big your bullet is if you miss.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#29]
No.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

-snipped-

More importantly, they all suck, and the only reason they exist is because you can't make a practical semi auto handgun in calibers like:

The lesson here children is that any time you have the option to carry a serious rifle with you and might run into dangerous critters, you probably should go ahead and just carry the rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-snipped-

This. Right. Here.

I realize some people want to pack light when going about their property/lease; but is a rifle and a few mags *really* that much of a weight inconvenience?  A good, proper sling and a few mags in a chest rig or even your cargo pant pocket is way better than a handgun when out in the boonies.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
9mm handguns are for people who want to be eaten alive. If I lived in black bear country, and I do, I would go with these for any bear/living predator on the planet:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p160/stripeknight/2013-05-28200039_zps6de8d42f.jpg

Marlin 45-70 Lever Gun

View Quote

Those are 2 that I have up here.

Negative on the 9 for me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:34:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p160/stripeknight/2013-05-28200039_zps6de8d42f.jpg

Marlin 45-70 Lever Gun

You obviously are a man of class and style.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:41:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Darwin is gonna have a field day w/ you... and some bear is gonna have supper.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#34]
10mm would be the smallest handgun caliber I would even consider in bear country.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:52:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Shotgun with slugs.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:58:56 AM EDT
[#36]
12 ga with 3" slugs and a 44.mag revolver as backup when Im in brown bear country.

Feel free to downsize accordingly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#37]

In my opinion, only carrying a 9mm in bear country would be a BooBoo.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#38]
9mm 40 10mm and 45 are a joke.  Any normal pistol rounds are not good for bear.

I would feel fine with my M1 garand or a M14 M1A or AR10.

Anything that is 30cal roughly over 150gr and moving at atleast 2600fps.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:14:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
i'm going to bet those who voted yes have never seen a bear in person.  even black bear can get to be huge.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VZ6SjOcyGP4/TjkqjI2XenI/AAAAAAAABjo/jHVsy4bFECo/s1600/Big+black+bear+1.jpg
View Quote

Or actually hunted anything with a handgun. The 9mm is incredibly under powered for bear.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#40]
I once was at a gun store, some newbie geek wants a gun for bear attacks in the mtns. I think he was going to a natl park on top of that ..idiot!
Anyway the counter guy says 44mag revolver or smith 9mm sigma. He really pushes the 9mm because its smaller bullet will get deeper penetration
So the newbie buys it.

I once talked to a female who went bear hunting with dad, they used to a 44mag revolver to take down the black bear.
They said next year they will take a .454.
You guys can make your own conclusions on why.

I once saw a hunting video, where a guy shot a black bear from a tree stand about 100 yards away with a lever action 45-70.
It knocked the bear on its ass, then it got up and ran few hundred more yards before dieing.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:16:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Bella Twin, an Indian girl, and her friend Dave Auger were hunting grouse near Lesser Slave Lake in northern Alberta. The only gun they had was Bella’s single-shot bolt-action .22 Rimfire rifle.

They were walking a cutline that had been made for oil exploration when they saw a large grizzly following the same survey line toward them. If they ran, the bear would probably notice them and might chase, so they quietly sat down on a brush pile and hoped that the bear would pass by without trouble.

But the bear came much too close, and when the big boar was only a few yards away, Bella Twin shot him in the side of the head with a .22 Long cartridge.

The bear dropped, kicked and then lay still. Taking no chances, Bella went up close and fired all of the cartridges she had, seven or eight .22 Longs, into the bear’s head.

That bear, killed in 1953, was the world-record grizzly for several years and is still high in the records today. Which only goes to show that in an emergency, strange things are possible, but who wants that kind of emergency?

Sure taking any firearm chambered for a cartridge that will have little if any negative effect with a poor hit or at least fast acting effect on a dangerous animal such as an agressive bear is poor form, a cartridge possessing enough power to create devastating wounds and shock to tissue even with poorly made hits make more sense.

That said I have no doubt that with accurate shots a 9mm will turn a bears lights, head shots or at least a heart lung shot, but one could both win and lose the battle while waiting for a bear to bleed out.

With 9mm I would be found trying to put one in the eye or through the nasal passage into the bottom of the brain, through the back of the throat to the brainstem or cervical spine, think mouth open while roaring, or preferably a 90 angle shot through the skull.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#42]
9mm in bear country???

A better suggestion:
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:33:20 AM EDT
[#43]
I know I've said it before, but I'm going to say it one last time...

Rifle.

Rifle!  Rifle!  Rifle!  Rifle!  Big F-ing Rifle!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:47:08 AM EDT
[#44]

dp
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:57:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bella Twin, an Indian girl, and her friend Dave Auger were hunting grouse near Lesser Slave Lake in northern Alberta. The only gun they had was Bella’s single-shot bolt-action .22 Rimfire rifle.

They were walking a cutline that had been made for oil exploration when they saw a large grizzly following the same survey line toward them. If they ran, the bear would probably notice them and might chase, so they quietly sat down on a brush pile and hoped that the bear would pass by without trouble.

But the bear came much too close, and when the big boar was only a few yards away, Bella Twin shot him in the side of the head with a .22 Long cartridge.

The bear dropped, kicked and then lay still. Taking no chances, Bella went up close and fired all of the cartridges she had, seven or eight .22 Longs, into the bear’s head.

That bear, killed in 1953, was the world-record grizzly for several years and is still high in the records today. Which only goes to show that in an emergency, strange things are possible, but who wants that kind of emergency?

http://imageshack.us/a/img36/308/grizley2.jpg

Sure taking any firearm chambered for a cartridge that will have little if any negative effect with a poor hit or at least fast acting effect on a dangerous animal such as an agressive bear is poor form, a cartridge possessing enough power to create devastating wounds and shock to tissue even with poorly made hits make more sense.

That said I have no doubt that with accurate shots a 9mm will turn a bears lights, head shots or at least a heart lung shot, but one could both win and lose the battle while waiting for a bear to bleed out.

With 9mm I would be found trying to put one in the eye or through the nasal passage into the bottom of the brain, through the back of the throat to the brainstem or cervical spine, think mouth open while roaring, or preferably a 90 angle shot through the skull.

View Quote

God was on her side....
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:59:23 AM EDT
[#46]
9mm?

LOL

At the minimum, a 10mm or 45 super.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:20:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:26:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Been face to face with big black bear with no gun. No big deal.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:33:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was he charging?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:46:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Does a bear shit in the woods? Tote a 9mm and you can tell where he dumps you.
I have only seen one bear in the wild. It was about 1/4 mile away and I had a .22 pistol. That was close enough for me. All the experts recommend .44Mag as a bare minimum. But the first rule of gunfighting is have a gun. If that's what all you have, it beats harsh language.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top