Quoted:
What is poachong?
View Quote

Sounds like some wuhan bat type shit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why someone wouldn't process their own game is beyond me.
View Quote

Yep.

In before the Nancy Boys that have "reasons".
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I do it myself the easy way.

Cut the straps, cut the hams and everything else goes in the grinder.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Poaching can also be a minor with a buck tag that ends up taking a doe.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes I'm sure you work on your own vehicles,  cut your own grass, fix your own ac and heat
cut a 2 chords of wood haul home and stack.  Process an elk or two and a mule deer in your sanitized space with all the tools and wrapping paper ready to go. While putting in 50 hours a week.
Anything else is lazy amirite?

View Quote

If we’re being honest

Yes I work on my vehicles
Yes I cut my own grass
I do not fix my own a/c- I don’t know how. But there’s plenty of How to videos on how to process a deer and you don’t even need fancy equipment like those gauges things you need for air conditioning
I cut a ton of wood. Don’t have to haul it home though I cut from my property.
I’ve never hunted an elk. Would love to though
I try not to work more than 32 hours a week max but some weeks I can’t get a day off and sometimes there’s mandatory overtime.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If we’re being honest

Yes I cut my own grass
I do not fix my own a/c- I don’t know how. But there’s plenty of How to videos on how to process a deer and you don’t even need fancy equipment like those gauges things you need for air conditioning
I try not to work more than 32 hours a week max but some weeks I can’t get a day off and sometimes there’s mandatory overtime.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I'm sure you work on your own vehicles,  cut your own grass, fix your own ac and heat
cut a 2 chords of wood haul home and stack.  Process an elk or two and a mule deer in your sanitized space with all the tools and wrapping paper ready to go. While putting in 50 hours a week.
Anything else is lazy amirite?

If we’re being honest

Yes I cut my own grass

It’s not hard to work on an AC unit, not making the effort to learn and do it yourself seems pretty lazy to me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Shoot at deer at 7pm and have to be to work at midnight for a 16hr shift the next day when it's 70 degrees out?

If you think cutting some flesh off of a bone makes you manly, your standards are pathetically low.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
So when you pick up your meat and you ask is that it, I thought there would be more usable meat.
They respond the rest was waste, now we know.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Father in law lives in a boujie apartment now and dropped an antelope off to get processed last week
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I definitely got hit this year from Sharps in Amanda Ohio.. 120 pound dressed deer... got back 12 pounds of red meat and 10 pound of burger... I was pissed.. and they refuse to do anything. NO money back, can't give me someone else's meat... Just bull shit..
sad part I have used them many times with no issues... Meat prices are high and they are flat out stealing it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I definitely got hit this year from Sharps in Amanda Ohio.. 120 pound dressed deer... got back 12 pounds of red meat and 10 pound of burger... I was pissed.. and they refuse to do anything. NO money back, can't give me someone else's meat... Just bull shit..
sad part I have used them many times with no issues... Meat prices are high and they are flat out stealing it.
View Quote

How much should it have been?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around 50 lbs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Seeing what slob hunters have dragged thru the mud of the parking lot into  the processor,  I'll do my own, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I stopped using Del Fox Meats in Stanwood, WA because they very obviously skimmed my bear meat and essentially admitted it when I inquired about it
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

While I agree that not everyone can process an animal themselves I have never met a deer processor that guts the animal for the hunter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not everyone can process the meat themselves, it takes a certain kind of person to willingly want to get their hands dirty with blood and guts for a living.

While I agree that not everyone can process an animal themselves I have never met a deer processor that guts the animal for the hunter.

My processor does.  Lives 5 minutes from where I hunt and field dresses the deer in front of me and hangs it in the fridge.  For $70 I feel it is well worth it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#16]
My buddy shot 2 does and a buck, the same day  he took two of them to the processed and only did one himself.

I don’t blame him.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not difficult at all. Time consuming, though. Deboning, trimming the meat of sliver membrane and fat, then slicing/cubing/ grinding/packaging.

Takes me about 3 hours to process a deer.

https://i.imgur.com/ENl5pOzm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9RrWbAqm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KbBZ5w1m.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PCO6tqDm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uCZFYDHm.jpg

View Quote

I spread mine out over a few days.
Killed this little guy two days ago...

Takes me longer because I can't resist cooking it during the butchering process. For those of you that toss your shanks, you are committing a crime against humanity. Amazing meal. Salt, paprika, then pan seared before popping it in the instant pot. I used beef stock and BBQ sauce in the instant pot.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Honestly, I wouldn't mind finding a processor I could pay to teach me how to do it start to finish. I'm sure there's a fair number of things I don't know that I could learn.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#19]
My brother took in 4 deer once, hauled them back to Florida for processing and only got back around 60 lbs of meat. Iv used the Amish butcher for years with great results, low prices etc, I haul them the quartered deer with ziplock bags of meat for steaks n burger, worked great, but they stopped doing deer last year, I don’t trust the others, plus they charge much more, so I got the equipment to do my own.

Decided to just start doing it all on my own, recently decided to upgreyyed my game with proper gear. Decided to build My own garage butcher shop , basically done. Got a sink, meat saw, grinder, vac sealer, and a dehydrator is next. I can package it as good as a shop can. After the dehydrator ill get meat mixing gear for making summer sausage. Next spring a big commercial 3 door freezer for storage. I’ll do around 12 deer a year between my brother , his wife and me and my woman’s animals.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't know any processor that will take wild game that hasn't been field dressed. You literally have to get your hands dirty with blood and guts before it gets to the point of someone else doing the work.

View Quote

LOL, I'd just written the same thing up and thought to check if I'd be first.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I sometimes felt my meat was a little light. seriously I thought I should have gotten more a few times.
Pro tip. Cut your back straps off before you take to processor.  Easy to cut into steaks and put in ziplocks. Back straps are a lot of steaks and why pay per pound price for something so easy to do.
View Quote

You mean back straps are edible when you hit the deer in the shoulder?

Somebody got some 'splaining to do....

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Stories of a business handing out samples of summer sausage to customers, employees snacking, like a Sam’s club sample cart etc from customer orders.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It’s not hard to work on an AC unit, not making the effort to learn and do it yourself seems pretty lazy to me.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
and fishong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Illegal huntong?
and fishong

Don't forget trappong.

[Trappong actually sounds fun.  Like a combination of trap shooting and beer pong]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Honestly, I wouldn't mind finding a processor I could pay to teach me how to do it start to finish. I'm sure there's a fair number of things I don't know that I could learn.
View Quote

You can't be fucking serious.
The Best How to Butcher a Deer Video EVER, by The Bearded Butchers at Whitefeather Meats!

This is what I used on my first time. As a matter of fact, I watch it before the start of the season and have it playing while I'm butchering a deer. Sounds like you need to be spoon fed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I spread mine out over a few days.
Killed this little guy two days ago...
https://i.imgur.com/avkzriC.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/VIvLyTO.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/EusLd2b.jpeg

Takes me longer because I can't resist cooking it during the butchering process. For those of you that toss your shanks, you are committing a crime against humanity. Amazing meal. Salt, paprika, then pan seared before popping it in the instant pot. I used beef stock and BBQ sauce in the instant pot.
https://i.imgur.com/mRAcI2k.jpeg
View Quote

I keep the shanks as well, they are some great eatin!. Going to give your recipe a try on the shanks from the doe I got iced down.

Killed her this weekend
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Vietnamese poachers, rather common in the upper Midwest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is poachong?

Vietnamese poachers, rather common in the upper Midwest.

* snort *
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I keep the shanks as well, they are some great eatin!. Going to give your recipe a try on the shanks from the doe I got iced down.

Killed her this weekend
https://i.imgur.com/vafx51ql.jpg
View Quote

Gotta let me know how it turns out!
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

Hit the same place as you would with a broadhead. Behind shoulder and low into heart and lungs. Same with Elk.  Havent tried to shoulder shoot for long long time.
But having hit in shoulder before.  it happens. I can't think of back straps ruined even if both shoulders are.  
You find straps ruined much from a shoulder shot ?

@Kharn

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My brother took in 4 deer once, hauled them back to Florida for processing and only got back around 60 lbs of meat. Iv used the Amish butcher for years with great results, low prices etc, I haul them the quartered deer with ziplock bags of meat for steaks n burger, worked great, but they stopped doing deer last year, I don’t trust the others, plus they charge much more, so I got the equipment to do my own.

Decided to just start doing it all on my own, recently decided to upgreyyed my game with proper gear. Decided to build My own garage butcher shop , basically done. Got a sink, meat saw, grinder, vac sealer, and a dehydrator is next. I can package it as good as a shop can. After the dehydrator ill get meat mixing gear for making summer sausage. Next spring a big commercial 3 door freezer for storage. I’ll do around 12 deer a year between my brother , his wife and me and my woman’s animals.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/ED72883C-3FD2-432C-9EEE-A0BD6D1EFEE5_jpe-2138700.JPG
View Quote

Damn dude you're really set up for it.
Like everything you post.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What is poachong?
View Quote

A Chinese fish.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Hit the same place as you would with a broadhead. Behind shoulder and low into heart and lungs. Same with Elk.  Havent tried to shoulder shoot for long long time.
But having hit in shoulder before.  it happens. I can't think of back straps ruined even if both shoulders are.  But these are not 120 lb deer shot at 60 yards with a 7 mag.

@Kharn

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

But having hit in shoulder before.  it happens. I can't think of back straps ruined even if both shoulders are.  But these are not 120 lb deer shot at 60 yards with a 7 mag.

@Kharn

It's a common joke around here that no matter how you turn a deer into the processor, the backstraps are always tossed as bloodshot. I bet you could even guillotine one and a few would claim it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I’ve definitely gotten processed deer back that felt pretty damn light relative to the deer. This has to be a pretty common practice.
View Quote

From what I know, it is the most common of practices with these processing places. Not necessarily the fact that they are skimming meat from your animal, but that you are likely not getting the specific animal you harvested.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Illegal huntong?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I feel sorry for most of you, who obviously have shitty processing options. I do 90% of my own every year, which ends up being a couple hundred pounds of meat, but every once in a while I’ll pay to have something fancy done. You need to find someone like this.

https://www.kleinsmeats.com/about
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/ED72883C-3FD2-432C-9EEE-A0BD6D1EFEE5_jpe-2138700.JPG
View Quote

This is cool, but also looks like some sort of future crime scene.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Wouldnt the simple solution be to weigh the animal when you drop off, then ask for all of it back, then weigh everything again? Guts and blood should in theory be gone before it gets to the facility no?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Father in law lives in a boujie apartment now and dropped an antelope off to get processed last week
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I killed a 240lb buck once when I lived in a apartment complex. I butchered the buck hanging from a basketball goal, with cars going into Kroger stopping to stare at me like .  No fucks given.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Wouldnt the simple solution be to weigh the animal when you drop off, then ask for all of it back, then weigh everything again? Guts and blood should in theory be gone before it gets to the facility no?
View Quote

You don't debone it before dropping it off.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not yet, but I’m getting there. The commercial 3 door freezer, dehydrator, some shelving, and another 6 foot stainless table  will have me sitting pretty nicely though. I might even try to source a small yard barn to insulate and use for a walk in meat freezer. I see real deal walk in freezers occasionally cheap. Last year a guy had a fully working, free standing 10x12 walk in commercial freezer…. Free, just come and remove it. Unfortunately it caught me at a bad time otherwise I’d have it set up right now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I’ve definitely gotten processed deer back that felt pretty damn light relative to the deer. This has to be a pretty common practice.
View Quote

Yields will be about a third of dressed weight depending on the deer.  I thought this may have been happening until I started to do my own processing.  Deer bones are heavy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

You drop off a whole animal, they can claim they had to cut a bunch as waste / spoiled, etc. pretty hard to prove. I used to drop mine at the Amish butcher frozen at the end of season all 4 deer at once, quartered, with many gallon bags of meat for burger. They weighed at the door and I always got a good amount / appropriate weight back vs supplied minus bones etc. a honest butcher would weigh your animal and at least get you the right percentage of meat back based on supplied weight, even if it was not your animal your getting back, 200 lb buck vs 80 lb doe for example, but a good and honest butcher would get you back your exact animal and all your meat,

I used the Amish guy basically because they did great work, but also because I just preferred professional packaging, but now Iv got my own saw,  grinder packaging and other gear so I’ll do my own, I’ll pay for the gear in 2 years via saved butcher costs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#43]
This is why it helps to personally know the processor. Blows my mind still that some places wouldn't even give you your own deer back...

Seems like finding a good processor is on par with finding a good mechanic.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#44]
a well known sausage maker here in OK skimmed about 60-70lbs off of us one time. they admitted that when they made that batch- they gave out too much to other clients- we were the last ones out of that batch to go pick it up.

we went back to making it ourselves. happy, happy, happy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not everyone can process the meat themselves, it takes a certain kind of person to willingly want to get their hands dirty with blood and guts for a living.
View Quote

If you are dealing with guts at the processing stage , you are doing it bad wrong.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldn't be the first time someone raised a China White pig and got processed meat that had a few black hairs in it...

Switching and skimming been going on for a long time in that racket.

On the other hand processing a thousand carcasses a week for people...once the skins off they all look alike...
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My brother took in 4 deer once, hauled them back to Florida for processing and only got back around 60 lbs of meat. Iv used the Amish butcher for years with great results, low prices etc, I haul them the quartered deer with ziplock bags of meat for steaks n burger, worked great, but they stopped doing deer last year, I don't trust the others, plus they charge much more, so I got the equipment to do my own.

Decided to just start doing it all on my own, recently decided to upgreyyed my game with proper gear. Decided to build My own garage butcher shop , basically done. Got a sink, meat saw, grinder, vac sealer, and a dehydrator is next. I can package it as good as a shop can. After the dehydrator ill get meat mixing gear for making summer sausage. Next spring a big commercial 3 door freezer for storage. I'll do around 12 deer a year between my brother , his wife and me and my woman's animals.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What is poachong?
View Quote

Sounds like an Asian dish.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#49]
it's funny reading all the flexing with i process my own deer, i build my own house, i make my own guns, i make our own pots and pans  
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What is poachong?
View Quote

You're in GD, what do you expect?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top