User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 1:31:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Current pistol caliber blowback operated ARs don't require any special mods other than the correct bolt, barrel, spring and buffer.
View Quote

Blowback and recoil aren't even close to the same thing.  

In a blowback operated system, the breech isn't locked.  The weight of the slide or bolt and the resistance from the spring is the only thing holding it closed until pressure subsides enough to be safe to operate.  Obviously if you want to use this on a higher pressure system you need to increase bolt mass and/or spring tension.  Blowback also has the disadvantage of causing heavier felt recoil than other systems.  Its only real pro is that it's cheap.

There are two types of recoil operated, long and short.  Most major caliber pistols and a lot of the small .380s around today use short recoil.  Short recoil is when the barrel and slide are briefly locked together.  They travel rearward, the barrel then unlocks and stops.  Inertia keeps the slide moving rearward, recoil spring moves it back forward where it picks up the barrel, forcing it forward as well and locking the two back together.  The Browning system is the most common, seen in the 1911, Sigs, Glocks, HiPower, etc.  The Beretta 92 and Walther P38 use a dropping locking block.  Rotating barrel is another method that's not quite as common.  Short recoil allows you to use a lighter recoiling mass thereby reducing felt recoil.   In a long recoil system, the barrel and slide/bolt are locked together for the entire rearward travel.  Once they reach the end of their travel the bolt is locked to the rear and the barrel is free to return forward.  Upon returning forward, the barrel unlocks the bolt which then also returns forward.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 1:48:24 AM EDT
[#2]
7.5" AR pic thread?  

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 1:52:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 3:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In a blowback operated system, the breech isn't locked.  The weight of the slide or bolt and the resistance from the spring is the only thing holding it closed until pressure subsides enough to be safe to operate.  Obviously if you want to use this on a higher pressure system you need to increase bolt mass and/or spring tension.  Blowback also has the disadvantage of causing heavier felt recoil than other systems.  Its only real pro is that it's cheap.

There are two types of recoil operated, long and short.  Most major caliber pistols and a lot of the small .380s around today use short recoil.  Short recoil is when the barrel and slide are briefly locked together.  They travel rearward, the barrel then unlocks and stops.  Inertia keeps the slide moving rearward, recoil spring moves it back forward where it picks up the barrel, forcing it forward as well and locking the two back together.  The Browning system is the most common, seen in the 1911, Sigs, Glocks, HiPower, etc.  The Beretta 92 and Walther P38 use a dropping locking block.  Rotating barrel is another method that's not quite as common.  Short recoil allows you to use a lighter recoiling mass thereby reducing felt recoil.   In a long recoil system, the barrel and slide/bolt are locked together for the entire rearward travel.  Once they reach the end of their travel the bolt is locked to the rear and the barrel is free to return forward.  Upon returning forward, the barrel unlocks the bolt which then also returns forward.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Current pistol caliber blowback operated ARs don't require any special mods other than the correct bolt, barrel, spring and buffer.

I know the difference Josh, my apologies for using recoil instead of blowback in the first post.

What I'm talking about is just using an in production 45acp bolt with a 22tcm barrel and appropriate weight recoil spring.

A gas operated  semi auto in any pistol caliber short of the bigger magnums seems like overkill to me.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 3:35:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Gas operated PCCs have much softer recoil.  Ron has a video of him doing full auto mag dumps out of his .45 DI, impressively controllable.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My 7.5" AR is fun to shoot. I use it at the local tactical match. Kills cardboard dead!

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7717/17135046447_334e0ede4e_k.jpg
View Quote

Very nice, sir.  Could you tell me more about that fore end and muzzle device?  Is that a Noveske KX5?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gas operated PCCs have much softer recoil.  Ron has a video of him doing full auto mag dumps out of his .45 DI, impressively controllable.
View Quote

That is a reason I can see spending money on GO pistol caliber AR upper.

Of course, I'd have to get the money for a FA M16 lower first..............
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]
All seems like a great idea until you shoot one without earpro indoors.  

You literally cannot help but hesitate to squeeze the trigger a second time.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I've shot my 7.5" once without without a suppressor or hearing protection. I will never do that again.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've shot my 7.5" once without without a suppressor or hearing protection. I will never do that again.

<a href="http://s300.photobucket.com/user/rccox/media/Guns/Spikes%20SBR/59a5c85315615f21128f78ced85861c0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/rccox/Guns/Spikes%20SBR/59a5c85315615f21128f78ced85861c0.jpg</a>
View Quote

What?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I shot my 7.5 outside, but in between my shed and garage, which are about 15 feet apart. The concussion made me crosseyed.

In an HD scenario I would not select that item first. However I am two stamps away from Honey Badger clone territory.  Both due in this week.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s300.photobucket.com/user/rccox/media/Guns/Spikes%20SBR/59a5c85315615f21128f78ced85861c0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/rccox/Guns/Spikes%20SBR/59a5c85315615f21128f78ced85861c0.jpg</a>

What?

Huh? Did you say something?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#13]
100 yards, self defense, stopped reading, wut.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#14]
my pistol is pretty accurate. I keep 6 inch groups, standing position, between 25-50yards. I'm happy with it.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top