Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Worst line uttered by Barret : "it's just a toy for men" AWW crap ! the gun grabbers are gonna have a field day with that one. Toys get banned, Rights don't!  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Very Good Report. Ron Barret is a professional, Tom Diaz is a typical asshole politician.

+1

Quoted:
It just ended. Made me want to get one.

+1

I have to seriously look into this.  

The irony is that it was free advertising for Barrett.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Very Good Report. Ron Barret is a professional, Tom Diaz is a typical asshole politician.

And I can't say much better about your Commissioner
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Mr. Barrett, you'd better add another production line.  Your orders are about to go through the roof!

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#6]

The 60 Minutes report was not nearly as biased as I had feared.  Still, I think  Mr and Mrs. Uniformed America will probably now vote to have them banned.  

I liked everything Barrett said except for the thing where he all but blamed a future terrorist act with a .50 BMG rifle on a critic of the rifle by giving the terrorists ideas.  That was weak.  

It could have been worse, but damage was done.

I'll write a letter to 60 minutes voicing my disapproval of the biased piece.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I certain there will be a liberal slant to it even though we(NYPD) demonstrated it fairly to CBS.

while the NYPD may have been fair, the mayor (?) was not and that's the perspective that was portrayed, Diaz is a tool, no duh any weapon in the hands of a terrorist is a threat......
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I too bad they didn't add that the guns weigh 35lbs, cost $3,000 and ammo being expensive as hell.  Not to mention, it isn't like every gun shop around the corner has one.  Though It was about what I expected.  Mr. Barret did a good job as well.

I expect Joe six-pack and Mrs. Soccer mom will be calling congress tomorrow scared of the "new" 50 cal.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just finished. Very slanted to the left of course.  However, they did allow one comment from Ronnie Barrett that surprised me.  He stated that a terrorist does not care about any firearms laws that are currently on the books or any potential new laws.  I am surprised that they aired this quote.  Good job Ronnie!!!

The liberal news media throws us out a bone every so often, and they say "it's just to keep things balanced."
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
PS - Mr. Barret if you happen to stumble upon this thread, I will purchase one of your excellent firearms as soon as possible.

+1
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Greetings,
That report made me want to pull out my Robar RC50-F and head to the range this week... just because I can!

Oznog53
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I agree, it seemed "fair and balanced" with the exception being Tom Diaz is a fear mongering politician.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#13]
tagged
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I like how 60 Minutes hedged the banners bets by ascribing to them a lesser motive: "Diaz at least wants the government to keep track of who buys them."

No, lying asshole, they want to ban them. Those lying fuckers at 60 Minutes make shit up every week for their liberal masters.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Made me want to get one.  If there is even a breath about banning/regulating these in Congress, I suspect a lot of us will break out the plastic.  Another case of gun-banners being the best advertisers for the firearms industry.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#17]
... spoke with Ronnie Barrett at his booth @  last year's SHOT Show in Vegas. Lou Ferrigno was there with us, some of the usual ARFCOM crowd here were in tow
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I like how 60 Minutes hedged the banners bets by ascribing to them a lesser motive: "Diaz at least wants the government to keep track of who buys them."

No, lying asshole, they want to ban them. Those lying fuckers at 60 Minutes make shit up every week for their liberal masters.

Remember, Ahnold signed the bill to ban them for us in the Peoples' Republik of Kali-fornia.

Nothing probably is going to happen at the federal level, but I think the advanced planning between the news media and the anti-gunner is that this program is for some push on the state level.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't underestimate the power of the telavivsion.

In 1982, NBC aired a prime time program entitled "Cop Killer Bullets", spotlighting a very obscure midwestern ammo manufacturing concern who made rounds (Sold only to LE, oddly enough) that could defeat car doors. As a byproduct, these rounds could also defeat the primative SBA that was available at that time.... It was only a matter of time before the "Cop Killer Bullets' became a rallying cry for those pathetic retards who need the telavitz to tell them what to think.

And I believe it was also 60 minutes who aired a special a year or so earlier on how "easy" it was to make a machiengun at your kitchen table, showing the world how to disable the disconnecter on an open-bolt firearm. And in short order, the ATF reacted by establishing an order that pretty much banned their production.

Miami Vice was solely responsible for 922o, which banned machinegun manufacture for civilian sale- I believe it even entered the record during congressional debates.

The medium has immense power. The television liberals have been harping on 50's for a while now, but I don't think htey are getting the reaction they hoped for. People just don't seem to care.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Never shot at steel plates with a .308, but I was wondering if they were using pre-fragmented ammo instead.  That was also some piss-poor shooting for snipers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Skewed and Screwed as usual
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#22]
They've tried to add 50 caliber centefire rifles to the NFA since 1998 and have failed.

The reason they haven't gone to an outright ban is that the REPUBLICANS ARE IN CONTROL/WERE IN CONTROL of Congress.

CRC
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I can't wait to watch it......It's coming on in 25 minutes, TIVO's already set......
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, it seemed "fair and balanced" with the exception being Tom Diaz is a fear mongering politician.

Diaz isn't a politician is he? I thought he was just a flunky at the Violence Policy Center.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Don't underestimate the power of the telavivsion.

In 1982, NBC aired a prime time program entitled "Cop Killer Bullets", spotlighting a very obscure midwestern ammo manufacturing concern who made rounds (Sold only to LE, oddly enough) that could defeat car doors. As a byproduct, these rounds could also defeat the primative SBA that was available at that time.... It was only a matter of time before the "Cop Killer Bullets' became a rallying cry for those pathetic retards who need the telavitz to tell them what to think.

And I believe it was also 60 minutes who aired a special a year or so earlier on how "easy" it was to make a machiengun at your kitchen table, showing the world how to disable the disconnecter on an open-bolt firearm. And in short order, the ATF reacted by establishing an order that pretty much banned their production.

Miami Vice was solely responsible for 922o, which banned machinegun manufacture for civilian sale- I believe it even entered the record during congressional debates.

The medium has immense power. The television liberals have been harping on 50's for a while now, but I don't think htey are getting the reaction they hoped for. People just don't seem to care.

The Democrats are not in control anymore and people see machineguns in movies all the time.

CRC
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Diaz isn't a politician is he? I thought he was just a flunky at the Violence Policy Center.

He used to work for our good buddy Charles Schumer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#27]
"fake but accurate".  The new journalistic standard at See-BS.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Never shot at steel plates with a .308, but I was wondering if they were using pre-fragmented ammo instead.  That was also some piss-poor shooting for snipers.

Yup.  I'd be safe at 1000 yards, not to mention 2000 yards which is what THEY say is the effective range.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Watched it with my wife. She said to me "now you have to get one because you CAN". I told her how much they were and she wasnt so happy about her last remark, guess what Im going to try and get?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Not once did they mention how much these weapons cost a civilian to buy.  Diaz compared the availability to a .22 caliber rifle.

Well the bad guys will just steal them right?  (If they are avilable for sale in said location, of course)
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, duh, what politician is gona say "Ya know, things are OK.. you people seems to be handleing the issue fine on your own.  Not much need for me right now, I'll come back next year and check up on you."
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Here's a pretty good letter from 2002 that made me think Barrett stood out among
gun manufacturers.

Barrett Firearms Letter of Opposition to the proposed LA Ammo Ban

December 11, 2002
Via Facsimile (213) 847-0676 and U.S. Mail

Chief William J. Bratton
Los Angeles Police Department
150 North Los Angeles Street
Re: LAPD 82A Rifle, Serial No. 1186
Point of Contact: Jim Moody
213 485 4061

Dear Chief Bratton,

I, a U.S. citizen, own Barrett Firearms Mfg. Inc., and for 20 years I have built .50 caliber rifles for my fellow citizens, for their Law Enforcement departments and for their nation's armed forces.

You may be aware of the latest negative misinformation campaign from a Washington based antigun group, the Violence Policy Center. The VPC has, for three or so years, been unsuccessful in Washington, D.C. trying to demonize and ban a new subclass of firearms, the .50 caliber and other "too powerful" rifles. This type of nibbling process has been historically successful in civilian disarmament of other nations governed by totalitarian and other regimes less tolerant of individual rights than the United States.

The VPC's most recent efforts directs this misinformation campaign at your state, attempting to get any California body to pass any law against .50 caliber firearms. In March 2002 the VPC caused the California State Assembly, Public Safety Committee to consider and reject the issue by a 5 to 0 with 1 abstaining vote.

Regrettably, the same material has been presented to your city council. I personally attended the council meeting in Los Angeles regarding attempts to bar ownership of the .50 caliber rifle in your city. I was allowed to briefly address the council. The tone of the discussion was mostly emotionally based, so the facts that I attempted to provide were ineffective to the extent they were heard at all. The council voted to have the city attorney draft an ordinance to ban the .50, and further, to instruct the city's representatives in Sacramento and in Washington D.C. to push for bans at their respective levels.

At that council meeting, I was very surprised to see an LAPD officer seated front and center with a Barrett 82A1 .50 cal rifle. It was the centerpiece of the discussion. As you know, there have been no crimes committed with these rifles, and most importantly, current California law does not allow the sale of the M82AI in the state because of its detachable magazine and features that make it an "assault weapon." This rifle was being deceptively used by your department. The officer portrayed it as a sample of a .50 cal rifle currently available for sale to the civilians of Los Angeles. One councilman even questioned how this rifle was available under current laws, but as I stated, facts were ineffective that day.

Your officer, speaking for the LAPD, endorsed the banning of this rifle and its ammunition. Then he used the rifle for photo ops with the Councilmen each of whom, in handling the firearm, may have been committing a felony. I was amazed.

Since 1968, with the closing of the U.S. Springfield Amory, all of the small arms produced for the various government agencies are from the private sector. Every handgun, rifle or shotgun that law enforcement needs comes from this firearms industry. Unless the City of Los Angeles has plans of setting up its own firearms manufacturing, it may need to guard the manufacturing sources it has now.

When I returned to my office from Los Angeles, I found an example of our need for mutual cooperation. Your department had sent one of your 82A1 rifles in to us for service. All of my knowledge in the use of my rifle in the field of law enforcement had been turned upside down by witnessing how your department used yours. Not to protect and serve, but for deception, photo opportunities, and to further an ill-conceived effort that may result in the use of LA taxpayer money to wage losing political battles in Washington against civil liberties regarding gun ownership.

Please excuse my slow response on the repair service of the rifle. I am battling to what service I am repairing the rifle for. I will not sell, nor service, my rifles to those seeking to infringe upon the Constitution and the crystal clear rights it affords individuals to own firearms.

I implore you to investigate the facts of the .50, to consider the liberties of the law-abiding people and our mutual coexistence, and to change your department's position on this issue.

Sincerely,
BARRETT FIREARMS MANUFACTURING, INC.
Ronnie Barrett, President
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#33]
What was that about buying incendiary .50 ammo?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#34]
That letter is classic!  Wish more manufacturers would stand up against the grabbers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#35]
In Waco did they ever actually fire the .50 at the ATF/FBI? I don't remember it. Just they had one.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I was hoping for a follow up to see if they actually got those rounds they brought on the internet.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was hoping for a follow up to see if they actually got those rounds they brought on the internet.

What was strange about that is they said they SAW someone else complete a transaction for the ammo.That didn't sound right.

Since when can you watch other peoples internet  transactions without hacking?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Good ol`  "SeeBS".  An M82 is tempting as a toy, is it not???

One of these days.....
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Can anyone host the video? I missed all but the last half hour.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I told you guys not to watch it, but noooo.  Nobody ever listens to the frozen guy up in Fargo.

LOL!!!  Having already demostrated the poor judgement to end up in Fargo, freezing your ass off, you expect us to trust it now???

j/k of course...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
An M82 is tempting as a toy, is it not???
One of these days.....

I'll wait till they come out with the .22LR conversion kit, so I can save some money practicing.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#44]
what a bunch of B.S.

I frickin' hate 60 minutes.  They were shooting SP's from the .308 but AP with the .50.  You can punch a hole through 1/4" plate  with a .308 as well.

I'm buying a 50......

just cause they don't want me to.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#45]
So let me guess. SeeBS reported that you could bring down skyscrapers from thousands of miles away with one of these ultra-concealable weapons, right?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I have to get a .50
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Does the NYPD even own a .50 BMG?

CRC
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Does the NYPD even own a .50 BMG?

CRC

Yeah, they own 12 as a matter of fact. I built them 12 of the Army M107's back in July/August.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top