Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:43:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Better have a water supply. Uncooked rice and beans are bad on the teeth
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I already have a water supply, I actually already have a good canned food and MRE supply. Just looking for some longer term dry goods storage.

Ate two cans of tomato soup yesterday that expired in 2010. No worries.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already have a water supply, I actually already have a good canned food and MRE supply. Just looking for some longer term dry goods storage.

Ate two cans of tomato soup yesterday that expired in 2010. No worries.

So far...

Just wait until they're finished incubating.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:05:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
CSB,

I know a guy who compiled more than a few (50 or so) of these buckets and then threw them under his house.  Fucking mice got into them and went all Malthusian population bomb... Destroyed all the wiring and tried to chew into sewer pipes under the house.  It was epic.  There were waves of mice, so many that when you went down there, they would pile up into a corner in fear and the weight of all the mice would kill the mice on the bottom.

At least he can eat the mice
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We found about 3 lbs of marijuana in the attic of a rent house back in college. Neighborhood legend had it that there had been a typical college-town dope dealer that lived there several years before. When he got busted they said that the police only found a fraction of what the guy was moving.

By closest estimate, the stuff had been up there about 5 years. The mice had a gorge-fest on it. All of the seeds were eaten and only empty hulls remained. The grass itself had turned to dust and was full of mouse turds. We called the cops and they came out to look at it. They threw it in the front yard and ground it into the lawn with boot heels. It wasn't even worth booking into evidence.

Man, how fucked up would it be if your food supply gave you the munchies...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How do you keep the weevils out?

I freeze for 48hrs before packing
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#7]
For those that use mylar, do you take the rice/beans/etc out of the packaging or just toss it in before going through the rest of the process?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.  Then I throw in dry ice and seal.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.  Then I throw in dry ice and seal.  

I have heard that if you put in the freezer before storage it helps.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What is the purpose of the mylar?

Aluminized mylar is an excellent barrier to oxygen diffusion.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rather die than eat that shit.

It is amazing the number of people that think that way.  Once again, I thought I was making in roads with the wife when she seen that Costco had the buckets of food for storage.  We talked about them for a bit and I thought I was going to get the go-ahead to order a couple of buckets (to start with) that could be stored in the guest room closet.  Unfortunately, I saw that road closed when she came the to conclusion that the food wouldn't taste good, thus would be pointless to have.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about this stuff?

http://wisefoodstorage.com/ultimate-prepper-pack-2.html

25 year shelf life!

compare that INSANE price with this...
these buckets are good for about a month for one person in theory, that is for three months for two people.
six of these would be $180 VS $2,629.00 for that...

yes six buckets of no nutrients and little protein. your six buckets contain no vitiams no minerals not enough protein, no vegetable products. no fruit products.

enjoy dying of scurvy eating that bucket of carbs.

Since you're the knowledgeable one in this thread, can you post a link to or describe a bucket (5 or 6 G) that contains "everything" (whatever that may be) on a budget, how many it can feed, and for how long?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
CSB,

I know a guy who compiled more than a few (50 or so) of these buckets and then threw them under his house.  Fucking mice got into them and went all Malthusian population bomb... Destroyed all the wiring and tried to chew into sewer pipes under the house.  It was epic.  There were waves of mice, so many that when you went down there, they would pile up into a corner in fear and the weight of all the mice would kill the mice on the bottom.

At least he can eat the mice

there's that protein we were missing...

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Last week I was in the Winco Foods market near my house and I noticed a display with 10 or so stacks of 5 and 2 gallon buckets on it.  Arranged around the base of the display were oxygen absorbers, mylar bags, lid openers, spigots, etc.

That is the first time I've seen "prepper" stuff in a regular store.  More than one person must have requested that stuff because it was a substantial inventory.  I thought it was very interesting coupled with places like Costco and Walmart now offering long term disaster food buckets.

I didn't even see that stuff during the horrible Y2K runup.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about this stuff?

25 year shelf life!

these buckets are good for about a month for one person in theory, that is for three months for two people.

yes six buckets of no nutrients and little protein. your six buckets contain no vitiams no minerals not enough protein, no vegetable products. no fruit products.

Since you're the knowledgeable one in this thread, can you post a link to or describe a bucket (5 or 6 G) that contains "everything" (whatever that may be) on a budget, how many it can feed, and for how long?

You can start by adding some quinoa.   Good protein profile, a little less empty that just white rice.

Although any prepper storage paradigm assumes you'll be hunting / fishing as well.

Vitamin C tablets are cheap as shit and seal up well for a long time.

We've got plenty of veggie seeds, put aside.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Prepping should be a cost/benefit determination.  It should be viewed as buying an insurance policy.

What are your real expectations and how much are you are willing to spend to be prepared to survive whatever you figure is going to happen?

Short term:

I live in a hurricane prone area.  It is possible that in my life time I will go through an event that would cause me to be without food for up to a month, probably a lesser time than that. In 1960 when Hurricane Donna went through we were without power for almost three weeks but after a week or so we could get some food from the stores. We got along OK.  Even in Hurricane Katrina there were no reports that I heard of people starving to death.

I keep my pantry stock fairly well and would not starve to death in a month if I rationed my food properly.  No need to spend much additional money on that.

Medium term:

This would be a disruption of food for up to a year.  There would have to a major civil disruption for this to happen.  While certainly possible the likelihood is not very great.

You can spend thousands of dollars preparing for this if you want.  You can buy all kinds of prepared food and eat well.

In my life time (I was born in 1947) if we would have spent thousands of dollars to prepared for this we would have wasted our money.

Since it is an unlikely event I would chose to spend only a few dollars.  It is cheap to have a well stocked pantry and then supplement it with rice, beans and few other bulk items things that can be bough cheaply and replaced every couple or three years.  For about 2-$300 you can buy staples like rice and beans and a few other things that would supplement your (well stocked) pantry for several months.  You wouldn't eat like a king but you wouldn't starve either.

To me that is the right cost/benefit ration for the probability of an event.

Long term:

Unless you have have a lot of extra money laying around it is going to be very expensive to stock up on enough food for more than a few months or a year.  We are talking thousands and thousands of dollars.

In reality you need a farm where you can grow your own food with much outside energy.  Very few people have that kind of resource.

Unless you are willing to go into hard core prepping then you are wasting your time trying to prepare for anything over a few months.  Since I think the likelihood of that happening is very small I am not willing to pay out tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars to prepare for that.  

I am certainly not going to give up my comfortable lifestyle in a suburban community to live on an existence farm in the middle of nowhere just in case something with a low probability might happen.  I will prepare for the medium term scenario cheaply but not go overboard.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard if you can make an airtight seal, you are supposed to pack it with dry ice, which will displace all the oxygen with CO2. the trick is to keep the CO2 from leaking out over time.

seal with wax?

What about a bead of food grade silicone sealant inside the groove in the lid?

There is a cheap, easy, proven, time tested, lab tested way of doing food/bucket storage.  It involves mylar bags being sealed with heat, and oxygen absorbers.  I don't understand why so many people try and rig shit up that might work when there is already a great solution.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#18]
In case anyone missed it, yes, rats WILL eat through a plastic bucket.

In the past, farmers made 'grain bins' for storing corn and other feed from galvanized metal.  Entire rooms in the barn would be wrapped, floor to ceiling, in metal to prevent rats from gnawing in to the corn.

If you are not storing in metal, you are at risk for rodents.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard if you can make an airtight seal, you are supposed to pack it with dry ice, which will displace all the oxygen with CO2. the trick is to keep the CO2 from leaking out over time.

I've put dry ice in an airtight sealed container before...

BOOM!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd rather die than eat that shit.

Oh sure, you say that now. But about the second day of not eating....

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've put dry ice in an airtight sealed container before...

BOOM!

I believe you are supposed to put on the lid loosely until the dry ice evaporates and fills the bucket with CO2
then seal it up.

Amazon sells mylar and O2 packs with free shipping.  Seems a lot easier to handle it that way.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#22]
This really belongs in the Survival Forum. If you want good info on the subject or have a question, please go to the SF and search for rice, beans, buckets, Mylar, and oxygen absorbers all separately. You will have good reading info. If you don't find an answer to what you're looking for, just ask. The SF is a great friendly forum that is very helpful (unlike GD).
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

seal with wax?

What about a bead of food grade silicone sealant inside the groove in the lid?

There is a cheap, easy, proven, time tested, lab tested way of doing food/bucket storage.  It involves mylar bags being sealed with heat, and oxygen absorbers.  I don't understand why so many people try and rig shit up that might work when there is already a great solution.

Thank youi.  A lot of unnecessary re-inventing the wheel going on here along with some ignorance.

Here are some good videos explaining the process:

long term food storage #1

long term food storage #2

long term food storage #3
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about this stuff?

25 year shelf life!

Came to post this
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about this stuff?

25 year shelf life!

Came to post this

By the time scurvy sets in everyone else will have been dead from starvation for a while.

Why I will defend my citrus trees in the event of "bad tidings".

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Got a lot of water saved up too?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about this stuff?

25 year shelf life!

What about adding a pack of One-a-day Multivitamins, and some freeze-dried meats?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
i appoligize. i'm on day 9 in a row of working. i've lost my sense of humor and am drinking coffee this morning. i'm not a coffee drinker.

oh that reminds me. buy green coffee beans for storage. they last a year under the right conditions without roasting.

Two to three years is more like it, under ideal conditions. Or a couple weeks after roasting.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about this stuff?

25 year shelf life!

It's high, (there are far better deals on far better food out there) but the OP's way would suck hard.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Walmart:
20lbs of rice
12 lbs of dried beans, lentils, chickpeas
5lb sugar
1lb salt

Fits in

Home Depot or Lowes:
5 gallon bucket with lid

55,000 calories in a container for $30

Expiration dates say next year, but I know for a fact from eating rice and beans I found in my cupboard 4 years old that it will be fine. Especially if I put a desiccant pack in the bucket too.

Did you just pour it all into a 5gal bucket mixed up? I tried and could not get all of the above into a single bucket.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top