Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont think it's a bad price at all considering the market, especially if 3k are CCI.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not in my opinion. That is about 50% more than what it was normally pre-panic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A guy I know is hurting for cash and 5000 rounds of .22 in a sealed ammo can, is $350 a fair price in todays market?

Please post a link to where we can all buy it for less, today.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I know it was cheap a few years ago, My question is todays market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A guy I know is hurting for cash and 5000 rounds of .22 in a sealed ammo can, is $350 a fair price in todays market?

That was for sale at Walmart a few years back in a metal ammo can for $99.00

I know it was cheap a few years ago, My question is todays market.

If he is your friend and he is down on his luck. Just give him the $350 if you can afford it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Federal 550 round bulk packs are $23.75 at walmart.
View Quote

No Walmart within 50 miles of me has had any .22LR in stock when I have been there for the last 4 years and I look every time I enter a Walmart.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Then I guess he should broaden his horizons and look elsewhere.

I never meant to imply he wasn't trying to find work. I couldn't know that. I imagine that there could be side work to do or manual labor somewhere locally that would pay cash.

If I were you I would offer him $225-$250.

What does he do for work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im not rich by any stretch of the imagination. I do take my finances seriously though especially for my family. Part of having a family is being prepared and responsible for their needs.

Selling stuff to pay the bills is fine but trying to sell stuff for inflated prices because you are not prepared and charging your friends more that what it is worth is BS.

He could always take a job that gives him some pay even though it may not be what he wants to make.

Not sure what your job market is, but its almost impossible to get a job here. Hes not just sitting around with his thumb up his ass or a no skill schlub, He has a masters and is a skilled tradesman. He is out 5 days a week, at the job service every day, dropping apps almost every day, and has worked his whole life. The most common rejection is the bullshit "over qualified" crap, every fast food joint in town has turned him down.

I never meant to imply he wasn't trying to find work. I couldn't know that. I imagine that there could be side work to do or manual labor somewhere locally that would pay cash.

He gets the occasional under the table day job and he has been mowing lawns door to door (rough at 45). I don't know his job exactly but it was something to do with systems operations at a company that manufactured swimming pool lifts for the handicapped.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it got lost in an edit, but I think I will offer him $300 and set a couple of boxes aside and give them to his kids on their birthdays so they can shoot since this is every round of .22 he has. I'll add the rest to my ammo fort.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Let's break this deal down for just a second. I apologize for bringing logic into a GD thread. Let put a current value on the parts of this deal.
1. Ammo can  $15 if its a .50 cal can. I'll use $10 as a round number.

2. 3000rds cci If you can find it at .07 you've got $210

3.1000rds rem which everybody thinks is garbage but goes bang everytime in the 22s that I posses. Even if you did it at .03, which you couldn't buy it for but let pretend....$30

4. 1000rds Blazer. Lets just assume the same fictional .03 for another $30

By my math that's $280 pretending that you could buy any of it for .03 a round. And, that is no sales tax, no shipping and no time spent out of your day getting it. If you had the ability to actually buy it on a shelf somewhere you would be over $300 for sure. And even then that's pretending that there was 5,000 rounds laying around somewhere and you didn't have to battle an army of neckbeards to get it. Throw in the fact that it's not some random person on the street parting with their stash but someone you actually know and you can help anoth human being and why wouldn't you but it even at his actual asking price.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

{b]You can't.[/b]

It still doesn't mean it is a fair price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

{b]You can't.[/b]

Exactly, You can't.  So I should sell you ammo from my stash today and then go replace it a year from now at double the price I sold it to you.

Please IM me your payment address so you can sell me all your .22LR ammo at pre-2009 prices.  You obviously want to be fair so you don't need that cheap ammo.

A few months ago someone on Armslist wanted to buy 500 rounds of Wolf .308 from me, I had it listed at $200.00, he wanted me to accept $100.00.  I told him to get lost.  He then said he would pay the $200.00 and wanted to know if I had any 7.62x39, I sold him 500 rounds for $100.00.

He didn't need to know I got 1,200 rounds of 7.62x39 thrown in on a gun purchase where I turned around and sold the gun for the price I paid for the gun and ammo.  I guess if I wanted to be fair I would have had to give him the 7.62x39 for free.

He then wanted to know if I had any 22LR.  I told him I had 18,000 rounds.  I would sell him a 500 round box for $27.00.  He said he could get it for less than that everywhere.  I asked him where as I would go buy some.  His response was he would take 5,000 rounds of mine.  Luckily he decided he could not afford all of the ammo and backed out of the .22LR purchase.

When I posted here before about what I was going to sell the .22LR to him for, approximately 10 people sent me IM's asking me to sell it to them.

I guess I should have sold all that .22LR to people for the $13.97 a brick or less I paid for it back before 2008.  It would only be fair.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#11]
about 100-150 high
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I was going to say just give him the $350 and take him shooting once in a while. But I like this response, too.

Quoted:
I think I will offer him $300 and set a couple of boxes aside and give them to his kids on their birthdays so they can shoot since this is every round of .22 he has. I'll add the rest to my ammo fort.
View Quote

And the judgemental asshole in the thread who can't find it in his heart to help out what seems to be a decent guy struggling to support his family needs to STFU.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was going to say just give him the $350 and take him shooting once in a while. But I like this response, too.

And the judgemental asshole in the thread who can't find it in his heart to help out what seems to be a decent guy struggling to support his family needs to STFU.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I think I will offer him $300 and set a couple of boxes aside and give them to his kids on their birthdays so they can shoot since this is every round of .22 he has. I'll add the rest to my ammo fort.

This, all of it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why buy at an inflated price?

Maybe he should have spent more time preparing his finances better instead of loading up on ammo to overcharge people on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, would $300 be a fair offer? I like the guy and don't want to nail him to bad, but I don't want to hurt myself either. He's out of work and trying to keep his family afloat and I don't need it so its kind of a charity buy.

Maybe he should have spent more time preparing his finances better instead of loading up on ammo to overcharge people on.

Because it's shitty to scalp your bro?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
about 100-150 high
View Quote

Where can you purchase 5,000 rounds of .22LR for $200.00-$250.00 today, in person and it is in stock for instant delivery?

I have two AR15's with dedicated .22LR barrels, 3 Ruger 10/22's, 2 Ruger Mark II pistols, a Browning Buckmark, a Colt .22 revolver, a Glenfield .22 rifle.  I'm always in need of more cheap .22LR.

My stash is getting low.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[The most common rejection is the bullshit "over qualified" crap, every fast food joint in town has turned him down.
View Quote

I won't hire someone who has made way more than what I will pay them.  Reason being, the arent likely to take the job seriously, as they have made way more doing way more important things.

Now if that person were to come in after submitting an application, ask to sit down with me and make me understand that will not be the case, I might consider it.  On paper, it just does not make sense to me.  Ymmv.

ETA- as far as the .22 goes, something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So, would $300 be a fair offer? I like the guy and don't want to nail him to bad, but I don't want to hurt myself either. He's out of work and trying to keep his family afloat and I don't need it so its kind of a charity buy.
View Quote

Tell him to put it on armslist then.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh how the mighty have fallen
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That still doesn't negate the fact that he should have had his finances together.

The fact that he is asking that much money for .22 lr is absurd and what is even more absurd is that you are thinking of paying that much for it.

You can "help" your friend all you want but there is no way in hell I would pay $350 for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't "load up on ammo to overcharge people on." He  was laid off about 4 months ago and is selling his personal reserve, not neckbearding

That still doesn't negate the fact that he should have had his finances together.

The fact that he is asking that much money for .22 lr is absurd and what is even more absurd is that you are thinking of paying that much for it.

You can "help" your friend all you want but there is no way in hell I would pay $350 for it.

Think of it as a $350 loan where you'll at least get something out of it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wondered what he meant by that, too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it someone that you would GIVE money to if he was hurting for it?  Look at it as giving him a gift, but getting some ammo and keeping everyone's pride intact

Unless it's just a general acquaintance, then pass on it.

ETA: I see others have already said this. So I agree.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

about 3000 CCI, 1000 Rem and 1000 Blazer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What kind of ammo?

about 3000 CCI, 1000 Rem and 1000 Blazer.

CCI standard velocity, or mini mag?

If mini mag, $350 would be a steal just for the 3k, and reasonable for just the 3k given the market if standard velocity.

ETA: $329.40 for 3k rounds of standard velocity at PSA.

In today's market, $350 is very reasonable, and possibly a great deal.

ETA: Says "in stock" at PSA, but won't let me add it to the cart. Best in stock prices via AmmoSeek say that taking even just 3k of CCI standard velocity for $300 is "robbery." I'd give him the $350 or decline the offer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This, all of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This, all of it.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd pay that 7 cents per round if it was all Mini-Mags, easily.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Haven't seen a box at my Walmart in a couple years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is my Wal Mart the only one without any 22 in it?

Haven't seen a box at my Walmart in a couple years.

They are quoting these prices like you can actually get them. You cant, I call walmart EVERY night after the trucks come in. It's maybe once or twice a month and only a few boxes. And they limit one.

Your not going to get 5 cent a round 22 without a lot of time and effort.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Just think what .22 will be worth if their is an apocalypse.  Gold I tell you, Gold!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#31]
$240 worth of cci's.
$80-120 worth of other depending on what it is.

Not a terrible deal but wouldn't give over 300-350 depending on the other ammo type.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think it got lost in an edit, but I think I will offer him $300 and set a couple of boxes aside and give them to his kids on their birthdays so they can shoot since this is every round of .22 he has. I'll add the rest to my ammo fort.
View Quote

Nice gesture on your part, and out of curiosity I looked at what .22 is going for if you want it right now - $300 is very reasonable for that much .22 LR.  You can do better if either you're lucky or you're will ing to wait for long backorders.  I just got 1000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags for somewhere between 7 to 8 cents a round delivered, but that was from a backorder I placed early Spring.  

For all the people in this thread who are talking about the price be way too high, you can't base your price off of what you'd pay at WalMart if you just happened to be there when it hit the shelves, because that's not an accurate price it's an anomaly.  Go look at prices for finished auctions of .22LR on GunBroker.  People are willing to pay a LOT for .22LR these days, and this is for lots of 1000 or 5000 rounds, so it's not some guy who's paying a high price for just a box.  For recently finished auctions of CCI .22LR people are paying $100 per 1000 (and higher).
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#33]
depends on the brand.
if it's CCI anything or Wolf Target, I'd be on that like a tall dog.

bulk Federal or Remington, not so much.
if it is cheap bulk, try offering him a little less.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Is he a friend?

People are still paying $40-45 per 500 rounds = shipping on gunbroker.

He could easily get $400 on gunbroker and that is bulk pack pricing, if some of it is better ammo he can get a lot more
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He gets the occasional under the table day job and he has been mowing lawns door to door (rough at 45). I don't know his job exactly but it was something to do with systems operations at a company that manufactured swimming pool lifts for the handicapped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im not rich by any stretch of the imagination. I do take my finances seriously though especially for my family. Part of having a family is being prepared and responsible for their needs.

Selling stuff to pay the bills is fine but trying to sell stuff for inflated prices because you are not prepared and charging your friends more that what it is worth is BS.

He could always take a job that gives him some pay even though it may not be what he wants to make.

Not sure what your job market is, but its almost impossible to get a job here. Hes not just sitting around with his thumb up his ass or a no skill schlub, He has a masters and is a skilled tradesman. He is out 5 days a week, at the job service every day, dropping apps almost every day, and has worked his whole life. The most common rejection is the bullshit "over qualified" crap, every fast food joint in town has turned him down.

Tell him to get on Indeed.com and do a search on MT, then WY, and so on with surrounding states.
He can search for all jobs or refine his search by software names, job titles, and see what happens. I'm pretty good at using keywords in searches; if you can get me a better definition of his skills or job title, I'll do a quick search. I have nothing to do this evening.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In my opinion, buying 5K rounds of .22 from him for $350 is much better than loaning or giving him $350.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

2-3 months ago yes, not anymore.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#38]
.07 cents a round isn't terrible.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Buy it and take him and his family out to shoot it.

It will help him out more than financially.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#40]
$350 for 5,000 rounds?  Maybe for Mini-Mags.  But if it's bulk stuff, it's too high by at least $100.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, I don't see any of these prices that anyone is talking about. Let alone, any .22lr on store shelves.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd pay $300. If you have money to burn and want to help your friend then give him $350.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No, I don't see any of these prices that anyone is talking about. Let alone, any .22lr on store shelves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i have not seen 22 on the shelf of a walmart since Sandy Hook

I am also sitting on 20K of 22 so i aint exactly looking hard.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Federal 550 round bulk packs are $23.75 at walmart.
View Quote

Haven't had any .22 ammo here at Walmart since the shooting.  Don't even have a shelf for rimfire ammo anymore.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You can't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't.

Actually yes, it does.  Not to you maybe, but the market says it is.  

I'd do it.  Haven't found .22 around here in a long time, and don't have time to hang out at walmart waiting for them to stock their shelves.  Its not a terrible deal in the current market.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#46]
$300 is fair but not a screaming deal. If you have the cash to spare you aren't getting hurt.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's fair, given current environment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fair, given current environment.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

FUCK NO!  If you gave him $234, you would be paying RETAIL....how about you start at that, if you fell so fucking bad about it.

I would give him an even $200.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote
Nope

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#50]
If he's strapped for cash he may as well put it on Gunbroker, he'll get more than $350 there.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top