Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever happen to the days of judgement...morals and ethics...

Is it moral, ethical, or even reasonable to sue a 4 yo girl?

Okay, you're reacting exactly how the Media and the parents' attorneys want you to.

Although the kids are named in the suit their parents are the ones who are actually being sued. The judge only ruled that kids can cause damages which result in liability; if they had been three year-olds then the old lady's family wouldn't have standing to sue, according to New York law.

The principle here is "You break it, You buy it". If a couple of kids racing their bikes ran head-long into the side of your vintage 1966 Charger and did about $10,000 in damages to the paint then you'd expect the parents to at least cover the cost of your insurance deductible no matter how old they were, wouldn't you?

This is the same principle: These kids did more than a few thousand dollars worth of damage to a car: They ran into a fragile old lady, giving her injuries which resulted in her death. But before she died she had hip replacement surgery (my Mom's hip replacement cost around $25,000 back in 1992) and probably had to stay for three months in a care center (more big bucks which Medicare does not completely cover –– depending on the care level it can be up to $5,000/month).

If this lady didn't have adequate insurance the estate could be set back at least $50,000 –– a conservative estimate, considering this is New York City. Add in around $10,000 to 15,000 in funeral costs and you're talking serious money. If that were your Mom and you found out that her estate was tens of thousands of dollars in the red then I'm pretty sure you'd get a lawyer too and go after the parents of the kids who caused the damages.

I see your point. Touche`

Perhaps sueing for restitution for the medical costs could be acceptable...but truly anything beyond that like "I'm sueing for an extra $75,000 for the pain and suffering" is BS, IMHO, however.

Well, that's up to the family.  I personally don't think I would sue, but then again I'm not in the same situation.

It would be nice if everyone could settle their differences without lawyers.  But sometimes, unfortunately, things like this happen and the two sides can't agree on how much to pay.

It's actually quite likely the plaintiff's attorney and the attorney for the parent's insurance company will settle this before it even goes to trial, which is usually what happens.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it isn't.

But this is what happens when we've allowed lawyers, judges and legislators to warp, corrupt and collectively connive to put a legal system beyond reason, accessibility or understanding of the lay person.

We, the represented, are no longer, and we get taken for a ride designed for the few to prosper from the many.

It's all "legal" which makes it okay...

Then again, genocide is "legal" in the countries that perpetrate such inhumanities.  

You have a career in congress with that level of self-righteous indignation.......

Didn't read the linked article or all the replies before posting, did you?

Brian

Certainly your an "expert" in the "legal" system, and your measure of me must be accurate...

I read fine, and "experts" like you insult, denigrate and ultimately fear people like me because we can.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Certainly your an "expert" in the "legal" system, and your measure of me must be accurate...

I'm most certainly not an expert in the legal system - I never claimed to be.

Quoted:

I read fine, and "experts" like you insult, denigrate and ultimately fear people like me because we can.

The only thing I fear from people like you is the uninformed knee-jerk reaction that is so clearly shown in this thread.

Brian

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I read fine, and "experts" like you insult, denigrate and ultimately fear people like me because we can. [/div]

The only thing I fear from people like you is the uninformed knee-jerk reaction that is so clearly shown in this thread.

Brian

Well, your the one slinging shit. A bit childish, don't you think?

Never mind, I'll back out of this thread just on principal.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever happened to the days of reading something and actually comprehending what was written before posting a reply?

Brian

Oh boy...long gone.  Long, long gone.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I read fine, and "experts" like you insult, denigrate and ultimately fear people like me because we can. [/div]

Brian

Well, your the one slinging shit. A bit childish, don't you think?

Never mind, I'll back out of this thread just on principal.

I'm slinging shit?  What do you call the knee-jerk reactions of folks that obviously didn't read the linked article?

Brian
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever happened to the days of reading something and actually comprehending what was written before posting a reply?

Brian

Oh boy...long gone.  Long, long gone.  

I'm guilty of it sometimes.........

Brian
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#9]
bitch better kiss all her barbies good bye. I wonder how many barbies the lawyer is going to get for representing the plaintiff....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top