Link Posted: 6/16/2012 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, as far as fartilizing is concerned, urea does do the same thing.

Urea doesn't help you fartilize anything.

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

Not true....ammoniacal nitrogen works differently that nitrate based nitrogen.
I made ammoniacal based fertilzer for over 16 years, there is a difference.

Nitrifying bacteria.  Meaning soil temperature and moisture is needed to turn ammonical nitrogen into nitrate. Using anhydrous ammonia requires soil moisture, otherwise it evaporates and you get low nitrogen yield.  Plus it would be damn painful.

Not when combined with other chemicals. My comment was addressing the nitrate is nitrogen
is nitrogen comment.  

Both products are used to restore nitrogen to the soil.  Both are able to to that.  Both are thus fertilizers.  To suggest - as some have - that the entire Urea industry is a joke, as if Urea cannot replenish nitrogen in soils like Ammonium Nitrate can, is simply bullshit.  What it can't do is make targets that go boom as readily.  That's what this is all about.  Ultimately, the fertilizer purpose of both products is to replenish nitrogen.  Both products contain nitrogen, and both products are proven in this regard.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

Nitrifying bacteria.  Meaning soil temperature and moisture is needed to turn ammonical nitrogen into nitrate. Using anhydrous ammonia requires soil moisture, otherwise it evaporates and you get low nitrogen yield.  Plus it would be damn painful.

Not when combined with other chemicals. My comment was addressing the nitrate is nitrogen

is nitrogen comment.  

Both products are used to restore nitrogen to the soil.  Both are able to to that.  Both are thus fertilizers.  To suggest - as some have - that the entire Urea industry is a joke, as if Urea cannot replenish nitrogen in soils like Ammonium Nitrate can, is simply bullshit.  What it can't do is make targets that go boom as readily.  That's what this is all about.  Ultimately, the fertilizer purpose of both products is to replenish nitrogen.  Both products contain nitrogen, and both products are proven in this regard.

It isn't all the same for all crops... I will leave it at that.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

They may work differently I understand it is important to water Urea right away, for example) but ultimately what you are doing is replacing nitrogen.  That's what the soil needs.  it;s two ways to skin the same cat.

Are you agreeing that Urea doesn't help you fertilize anything?

i fartilize with beans  IN MY MOTHERFUCKING CHILI
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I get my AN from the Ace hardware down the road.  I have to bags for the garden.  They request that I sign a log when I buy.   I also buy guns and ammo at the local Ace Hardware.

AN if hard to find in the midwest at the coops anymore.  The big dog farmers don't spread it like the smaller farmers did.  The big dogs knife in anhydrous as they plant.

My grandfather and father liked AN mixed in the spreader tank with lime when they side dressed the clover fields or when they prepped fields for wheat.   though I have to agree nitrogen is nitrogen at an elemental level.  AN is spread in a form of nitorgen that is already soluable so a plant can used it as is.  Urea must be converted by baterial action or chemical to become soluable.   I often hear that Urea is better because it is harder to burn crops with it.  My personal experience is the opposite, the cat piss will burn easier.  It may be the way I do things though,  If I'm putting to much liquid urea on I can not see it.  It soaks in, so you can apply alot more than needed and won't know it.  With the AN I spread it on the top and work it under.  As it is on the top, I can see if it's stacking up like snow     I've seen people over fertilize their yard with AN and it doesn't dye, it grows so damn fast they are mowing every other day.   To much Urea and there is dead spots.

It probably wont be as cheap as a 30# bag but the break and shake cooling bags are AN and water.  I know walmart has them.  They are often called Iceless coolers, or single use ice packs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Now, where to get aluminum powder?

I'd love to find some really fine AL powder to use with rocket candy for really effective/cheap rocket propellant.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd love to find some really fine AL powder to use with rocket candy for really effective/cheap rocket propellant.

Ball mill?
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

is nitrogen comment.  

It isn't all the same for all crops... I will leave it at that.

One of the reasons ammonium nitrate fertilizer is preferred has to do with it being pH neutral.  For every NH4+ ion that is absorbed, the plant roots release one H+ ion, thereby acidifying the soil.  For every NO3- ion that is absorbed, the plant roots release one OH-.  Since the H+ and OH- combine to H2O, the application of NH4NO3 is pH neutral.  As Keith pointed out, urea acidifies the soil.  Most plants grow optimally with a mixture of ammonium and nitrate ions.  Ammonium nitrate is not as water-dependent as urea.  If there isn't enough rainfall to wash the urea deeply enough into the soil then part of the ammonia produced is lost to the atmosphere.  This is not an issue with ammonium nitrate.  If ammonium nitrate wasn't so deliquescent then I'd say it's perfect!
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ball mill?

Dude, really. Go read my post on page 1. Starmolecule.com   If you are going to use ammonium perchlorate based propellant than this is for you
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I was at Lowe's today and they have it, I saw the 34-0-0 on the bags and was very surprised they had it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

Urea can contain biuret which is a plant toxin.  Ammonium nitrate is free of  biuret.

How much of a threat is that, really?  Urea really seems to have taken hold - it's a lot cheaper than Ammonium Nitrate - it can't all be about explosives.

Urea can be nitrated to make explosives as well.

As far as finding 34-0-0 AN....ummmm.....why not just grind it down yourself?  You do realize that the rating is just regarding the surface area of the prills and the coating, right?  Both of which can be easily altered.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

Urea can contain biuret which is a plant toxin.  Ammonium nitrate is free of  biuret.

How much of a threat is that, really?  Urea really seems to have taken hold - it's a lot cheaper than Ammonium Nitrate - it can't all be about explosives.

As far as finding 34-0-0 AN....ummmm.....why not just grind it down yourself?  You do realize that the rating is just regarding the surface area of the prills and the coating, right?  Both of which can be easily altered.

34-0-0 means for every 100 pounds, it provides 34 pounds of nitrogen and no phosphorous or potassium (NPK).  The rating has nothing to do with surface area.

Nitrating urea is something that I would never recommend for making of binary targets.  Also, it isn't as safe as ammonium nitrate versions and transport of it without proper certification, placards and insurance is a federal crime.  So one would have to nitrate and dry the product at the range.  Which means transport of nitric acid.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#13]
i think i still have about 120 pounds of AN... and enough AL to make it pop....  haven't used any for a few years.. it all stored air tight in sealed 5gal buckets...
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

34-0-0 means for every 100 pounds, it provides 34 pounds of nitrogen and no phosphorous or potassium (NPK).  The rating has nothing to do with surface area.

Nitrating urea is something that I would never recommend for making of binary targets.  Also, it isn't as safe as ammonium nitrate versions and transport of it without proper certification, placards and insurance is a federal crime.  So one would have to nitrate and dry the product at the range.  Which means transport of nitric acid.

Fertilizer grade AN can be made into explosives grade by simply grinding it down.  This reduces the wax coating and also increases the surface area of the prills exposed.  The amount of wax coating on the prills also determines the weight and ratio of nitrogen by volume, as well as the percentage of concentration.  Explosive grade AN is smaller prills without the coating, the concentration of the nitrate itself doesn't matter as much.

Ive made urea nitrate and never suggested it for use in targets, but was simply making a statement about it also being capable of being used as an explosive.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was at Lowe's today and they have it, I saw the 34-0-0 on the bags and was very surprised they had it.

I doubt it is AN.

But, if it's confirmed, you should buy it.  

all.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#16]
calcium nitrate double salt and ammonium sulfate.  Both are available at feed stores and nurserys.  I believe the first has calcium carbonate that should be washed out, first.

I believe they react to make calcium sulfate solid and ammonium nitrate solution, tho.

Not cost effective, tho.

I've heard of people in other countries using something called Calcium Ammonium Nitrate that's supposed to just have a greater proportion of calcium carbonate in it to make it less sensitive.  Never seen any here, tho, so I haven;t tried it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt it is AN.

all.

I really don't need any right now. It was ammonium nitrate, said so on the bag.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt it is AN.

all.

brand?.. can u get it on the lowes web?

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You use Al powder with Ammonium nitrate/Ammonium perchlorate solid propellants mixed with binders.  Model rocket people usually mix a tiny pinch of red iron oxide with candy type propellants.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt it is AN.

all.

They adulterate it so it can't be easily made into explosives and it has probably absorbed a lot of water.  You'd probably have to mill it, wash it with methanol, and dry it in an oven before it would be ready to go.  Not worth the hassle.  I'd rather use my ID and buy some chemical grade AN.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:34:33 AM EDT
[#21]
http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Powder-30-micron-Pounds/dp/B005QFYBUY?tag=gmgamzn-20

if your looking.... still looking for more local 34-0-0
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Op I see you live in VA if you are close to Ashe county NC parson's farms sell's it in 50 pound bags.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top