Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if they would be criminally charged today for taking action like Open Carrying guns on their businesses.
View Quote
all I could find was this

§26350 Long guns and handguns may be openly carried in unincorporated rural areas where firearm discharge is not prohibited by local ordinance.

In a county with a population of less than 200,000 residents, a permit to carry a handgun "loaded and exposed" may be issued by the county sheriff, valid only in the issuing county.

A person may also open carry if he or she "reasonably believes that any person or the property of any person is in immediate, grave danger and that the carrying of the weapon is necessary for the preservation of that person or property."

In 2012, the California State Assembly decided to take a tougher stand against the carrying of firearms in public. Prior to then, it had been legal for anyone (aside from those prohibited by prior felony conviction) to carry an unloaded weapon in public, provided that the weapon was not concealed. However, as of January 1, 2012, according to California open carry laws under California Penal Code 26350 PC, it is a crime to openly carry any firearm in public, even if the gun is unloaded.

California Penal Code 26350 PC Explained

Under California Penal Code 26350 PC, you are guilty of violating California open carry laws when you:

?Carry on your person an exposed and unloaded handgun outside a vehicle while in or on any of the following:

?A public place or public street in an incorporated city or city and county;

?A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county or city and county; or

?A public place in a prohibited area of a county or city and county.

?Carry an exposed and unloaded handgun inside or on a vehicle, whether or not on your person, while in or on any of the following:

?A public place or public street in an incorporated city or city and county;

?A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county or city and county; or

?A public place in a prohibited area of a county or city and county.

364 days in jail or $1000.00 fine

Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
$340 in 1992 had the same buying power as $615 today.
View Quote
And a AR was still expensive as Hell back then.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not many.... I believe 65% of the business targeted were Korean Owned
View Quote
Well that would be a "30 for 30" I would watch. Bet it would be pretty darn good.....

The true story of the heros of Koreatown during the '92 LA riots. ESPN 30 for 30 presents, "Wok The Line"
I know....I should be ashamed of my dad-humor
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
It would be interesting to see how the riots would play out today
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I worked in a gun store in Utah in college during that time in Orem/Provo.  Sales were brisk and commissions good. ??

How did the 92 LA riots compare to those of the 70s in LA and Detroit?  I was too young to be aware of those at the time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It would be interesting to see how the riots would play out today
View Quote
Wild West!
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]
A Korean guy owned the corner store in my old neighborhood. Some little Mexican guy came in one night and pointed a shotgun at him across the counter. Korean guy snatched it right out of his hands and pointed it back at him.

He coulda had a free shotgun, but being a law-abiding guy, he called the cops and they took it.

Quiet, hardworking guy. I think of him every time I hear about the LA riots and rooftop Koreans.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]
A little cultural context:

Ice Cube

Black Korea lyrics

Every time I wanna go get a fuckin' brew
I gotta go down to the store with the two
Oriental one penny countin' motherfuckers
That make a nigga mad enough to cause a little ruckus
Thinkin' every brother in the world's out to take
So they watch every damn move that I make
They hope I don't pull out a gat and try to rob
They funky little store, but, bitch, I got a job
"Look, you little Chinese motherfucker
I ain't tryin' to steal none of yo' shit, leave me alone!"
"Mother fuck you!"
Yo, yo, check it out
So don't follow me up and down your market
Or your little chop suey ass'll be a target
Of the nationwide boycott
Juice with the people, that's what the boy got
So pay respect to the black fist
Or we'll burn your store right down to a crisp
And then we'll see ya
Cause you can't turn the ghetto into black Korea
"Mother fuck you!"
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Then those $1000 AR-15s lost value
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is Best Korean
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#11]
That chrome "KG-99" is an A.A. Arms "Ap-9", some times called a "Kimmel"
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A little cultural context:

Ice Cube

Black Korea lyrics

Every time I wanna go get a fuckin' brew
I gotta go down to the store with the two
Oriental one penny countin' motherfuckers
That make a nigga mad enough to cause a little ruckus
Thinkin' every brother in the world's out to take
So they watch every damn move that I make
They hope I don't pull out a gat and try to rob
They funky little store, but, bitch, I got a job
"Look, you little Chinese motherfucker
I ain't tryin' to steal none of yo' shit, leave me alone!"
"Mother fuck you!"
Yo, yo, check it out
So don't follow me up and down your market
Or your little chop suey ass'll be a target
Of the nationwide boycott
Juice with the people, that's what the boy got
So pay respect to the black fist
Or we'll burn your store right down to a crisp
And then we'll see ya
Cause you can't turn the ghetto into black Korea
"Mother fuck you!"
View Quote
There it is...Communist to the core vs the Korean American
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#13]
That was an excellent post! Brought me back to my days as a kid living on the edge of Korea town during the riots! It's my exposure to those riots that changed my mind on the 2A and the inherent right to self-defense forever.

Many Asian communities in Los Angeles were recently on the news for protesting plans to build homeless shelters in their AOs. Many are conservative, but usually non-vocal..
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#14]
OP.  Awesome thread sir.   Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Then those $1000 AR-15s lost value
View Quote
Given you could build one yesterday for $300, yep.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do we have an accurate number of dead?  
View Quote
Wiki says 63 dead; 2,383 injured; 12,111 arrests;  3,600 fires; 1,100 buildings destroyed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Great post and good reminder of why we have the 2nd.
Good Folks, many of them Immigrants actually putting it into practice.
Don't think a similar situation it couldn't happen again today.
The description of LEO's arresting folks in one of the video's for defending their property is frustrating.....
View Quote
If you're defending you home or business and LEO says to leave.
WTF is he going to do when they say GET FUCKED! ?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Those roof top Koreans are mostly gone now and second generation Koreans are the majority.  There aren't many conservative Republican voting Koreans anymore as the second generation wants to fit in to the mainstream American culture.  Bunch of pansies with inferiority complex trying to be white American by being even more white than whites.  Fucken bananas!
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wiki says 63 dead; 2,383 injured; 12,111 arrests;  3,600 fires; 1,100 buildings destroyed.
View Quote
There is a list of the dead that I found online that shows the cause. Some were not directly related to the riot.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Those are my kind of Americans:  brave and self-reliant!
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Our tac unit spent a week and a half in LA during that mess.

Hard to believe it's been that long.
View Quote
Any interesting stories from your unit during those times?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Korean Americans teaching other Americans what America is all about.

Or used to be......
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I recall the telephone calls from friends and family in LA during the riots, watching it all live on TV as I was home from work that whole week with the flu.  Frantic, hysterically crying friends and family asking me to come rescue them or bring them ANYTHING better than maybe the baseball-bat or steak knife they were armed with at the time.

ALL of them left LA and most, the entire State of California after the riots.  It was a real eye opener.......
View Quote
For some, yes, but sadly, not enough. . .
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Twice in my life, violent riots came out of that Democrat controlled area of Los Angeles....The Watts Riots, and the Rodney King Riots.
I remember watching the Watts Riots on television, as a kid, and as an adult, the Rodney King Riots.

When the tv showed those Koreans coming out with firearms to protect their neighborhood, I cheered, and yelled "that is what the Second Amendment is all about!!!

I also remember an aerial view of the Koreans, and some news woman, off camera, stating "I wonder if those guns are registered". If she was personally in the middle of the riots, and went into Koreatown, I seriously that she would feel that she was in danger from those Korean store owners.

In the 80's, I worked in the San Pedro harbor, with MANY Koreans. Only met one that was described as being lazy....quite the opposite with those of Mexican heritage!

LA police chief, Brad Gates, after he retired, had a radio show on either KFI or KABC. I remember that he stated that over 60% of those arrested  during the riots, were illegals! I sarcastically stated "that they were obviously showing their thankfulness for being able to work in the US."
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
The same cops who ran away leaving people to defend themselves while they turned a blind

eye to people committing the crimes of murder, arson, looting, assault and probably a dash

of rape would have come back in force to arrest you for the crime of not respecting his

authority.  The state must be obeyed.  Whatever happens to you is merely unfortunate.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#26]
that colt 1991  is an officers model not a commander,

Al Pacino used an officer's model in Heat, not a commander

in 93 I can a  cooch hair from buyin a Daewoo rifle. Always regret not buying it
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#27]
And during that incident we were worried something would happen here, Dad took us to a buddies house to copy some computer games and I was in charge of his revolver, think it was about the only time we rode around in his truck with it loaded.  My Dad was not into guns, but had a few harry situations so he did buy a snub nosed 38spc.  I was 16 at the time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Very cool write up. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The same cops who ran away leaving people to defend themselves while they turned a blind

eye to people committing the crimes of murder, arson, looting, assault and probably a dash

of rape would have come back in force to arrest you for the crime of not respecting his

authority.  The state must be obeyed.  Whatever happens to you is merely unfortunate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While the police turned a blind eye to the rioters some Koreans were arrested. Usually stragglers. The car load of Koreans driving somewhere to defend, the lone Korean defending some place. The police picked off the Koreans trying to defend their property when they could but couldn't really do anything about the large groups.

One thing we should learn from the roof top Koreans is that the only way to succeed in a situation like that is by banding together with other like minded people. If one Korean got up on his store roof and shot rioters he would have been arrested either during the riot or afterwards to make an example out of him. It was because so many came together that those in charge couldn't make examples out of them all.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Some of the video footage shows Korean dudes that look like they probably served in Korean military. I wouldn't want to fuck with any of those guys. Consequently I believe not many did there either.
View Quote
Almost all males mandatory armed service.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Valmets weren't all that much more than Norincos either-you'd see them in gun stores for around $400.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Needs more kimchi
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#33]
The feeling of powerlessness during the LA Riots was profound. You were just a sitting duck. I applaud those Koreans. They are my heroes!
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
When the cops retreat, then who is going to protect you?
View Quote
EXACTLY.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Awesome post OP!
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That was an excellent post! Brought me back to my days as a kid living on the edge of Korea town during the riots! It's my exposure to those riots that changed my mind on the 2A and the inherent right to self-defense forever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Same with me. Profoundly changed my mind. The frustration and anger and powerlessness of just sitting at home, watching the news, watching where the rioters were going, hearing the sirens. So scary. When we saw those Roof Koreans on TV, I thought, "GOOD FOR THEM!"

Many Asian communities in Los Angeles were recently on the news for protesting plans to build homeless shelters in their AOs. Many are conservative, but usually non-vocal..
Yes. The liberals don't know what to do... to condemn the Asians would be racist, but the Asians aren't inclined to see their neighborhoods ruined by out-of-control homeless.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Before the riots there were tensions between the black and Korean communities due to the Koreans being relative newcomers yet being highly successful and owning many businesses in black neighborhoods.

And this really didn't help:

The surveillance video is pretty damning - Harlins had money and was attempting to pay. When Du screamed at her to leave, she turned to go, then Du shot her in the back of the head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are even half of those guns California legal today?  Next time the rioters will be better armed.
South Central LA just happen to have a Korean neighborhood. Not sure what happened to everyone else who was in the area, white, black and Hispanic.
I remember this black guy yelling at people because his corner store got burned down. It was not a franchise business, he owned it and black rioters burned it down. It was sad. The store was his life, means of income and all. He was in his 50s or 60s. Not sure what happened to him.
The majority of Black and Hispanic/Latino residents of LA took to the streets committing crime. The majority of Koreans stayed home and protected their businesses. The Demographics sadly was that two of out three of the minority groups committed more crime than the other. Culture was a big factor.

Koreans came to American and immediately started to build wealth through hard work. Black and Hispanic/Latinos were majority welfare recipients and Democrat voters. Koreans were Republican.
Before the riots there were tensions between the black and Korean communities due to the Koreans being relative newcomers yet being highly successful and owning many businesses in black neighborhoods.

And this really didn't help:

On March 16, 1991, a year prior to the Los Angeles riots, storekeeper Soon Ja Du physically confronted black ninth-grader Latasha Harlins, grabbing her sweater and backpack when she suspected she had been trying to steal a bottle of orange juice from Empire Liquor, the store Du's family owned in Compton. After Latasha hit Du, she shot her in the back of the head, killing her. (Security tape showed the girl, already dead, was clutching $2 in her hand when investigators arrived.) Du was convicted of voluntary manslaughter and forced to pay a fine of $500, but not sentenced to any prison time
The surveillance video is pretty damning - Harlins had money and was attempting to pay. When Du screamed at her to leave, she turned to go, then Du shot her in the back of the head.
Du came unglued because she was tired of all the bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Same with me. Profoundly changed my mind. The frustration and anger and powerlessness of just sitting at home, watching the news, watching where the rioters were going, hearing the sirens. So scary. When we saw those Roof Koreans on TV, I thought, "GOOD FOR THEM!"

Yes. The liberals don't know what to do... to condemn the Asians would be racist, but the Asians aren't inclined to see their neighborhoods ruined by out-of-control homeless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was only 7 years old, but I still remember the smell of burning buildings, seeing the FEDCO get looted on TV, the Koreans on roof tops, and the National Guard on the streets (which was reassuring, but late). The fact that our zipcode fell under LAPDs do not respond to area spooked my family years later.

It's funny seeing the conundrum the liberals face with the homeless situation and the Asian communities uncharacteristically coming out in force to protest and protect their neighborhoods. To credit the Asian communities, they've incorporated a very PC message in their resistance unlike the traditional GD Molon Lobe/Don't Tread On Me stance Again shows the tactical patience and understanding of the environment that the Asian communities tend to have down well.. lessons from the riots.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
And during that incident we were worried something would happen here, Dad took us to a buddies house to copy some computer games and I was in charge of his revolver, think it was about the only time we rode around in his truck with it loaded.  My Dad was not into guns, but had a few harry situations so he did buy a snub nosed 38spc.  I was 16 at the time.
View Quote
There were some isolated incidents in Atlanta at the time..............heard a few reports of people trying to stop people in their cars and rob them
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
South Central LA just happen to have a Korean neighborhood. Not sure what happened to everyone else who was in the area, white, black and Hispanic.
I remember this black guy yelling at people because his corner store got burned down. It was not a franchise business, he owned it and black rioters burned it down. It was sad. The store was his life, means of income and all. He was in his 50s or 60s. Not sure what happened to him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are even half of those guns California legal today?  Next time the rioters will be better armed.
I actually came to LA to see the riots. I was driving to Galveston for a job, saw the riots on TV, and said, “screw Galveston” and headed west. It was the best decision of my life. I watched a city burn and met my wife the day I got here.

That guy’s store probably didn’t get rebuilt for quite a while. I left Cali four months after the riots ended and violent gangs of locals were still chasing out any contractors who dared enter those neighborhoods to rebuild. They demanded only black construction workers be allowed in, but when construction companies tried to hire locals they all refused to work. They burnt down their own neighborhoods then threatened to kill anybody who tried to rebuild it. All the while crying about their neighborhood being destroyed. It was idiotic.

But...no lines at Disney or Six Flags and Angel’s Stadium was darn near empty. My first official date with my wife was an Angels/Dodgers Freeway Series game. It was a great time to be a tourist.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#41]
This was a great post OP.
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Roof Koreans don't exist anymore like Cuban Conservatives. They've been outbred and replaced with Leftists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Roof Koreans are not to be fucked with.
Roof Koreans don't exist anymore like Cuban Conservatives. They've been outbred and replaced with Leftists.
My wife is Cuban. Trust me, Cuban conservatives still exist. Her father’s gun collection would probably put most people here to shame.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If that happened today, the LAPD would take a page out of NOPD's playbook and Disarm everyone like they did after Katrina.
View Quote
LAPD was too busy being cowards during the riots. I think they all went to work for Broward County after it was over.

It was LA Sheriff’s Dept that actually went in to put down the riots. LAPD just stood and watched.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#44]
No matter the content, Miami_JBT threads deliver.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Every single one of them are cool in my book.
View Quote
My father was in the Korean War. Once he was telling us boys a story about some south Koreans he'd gotten to know.  I asked him what he thought of the the general population there.  He replied with: "Those folks are good, solid people. Some of the best I've met."
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Miami JBT...........

Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Ah remember those riots, I was just a young white boy living in East Oakland at the time.

I just walked around watching all the shit that happened there, man nobody gave me a glance. It sure helped having a Raiders jersey on.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Remember it well. I never should have sold my Daewoo.  That was a fine rifle, and I still like it better than several of my ARs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#49]
I was a punk 15 yo at the time, but my dad still came down and put the loaded 12 gauge in my room when he went to work (we lived 15 min away). Made a huge impression on me. His trust (even though I had developed quite an attitude problem by then) and also his absolute belief that you look out for yourself and your own family, because no one else will.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Rooftop Koreans are best Koreans
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top