Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If he get through this evening, it is supposed to dry out down there for tomorrow

I think I may have spotted Larry's truck?? He said it was a white frontier, with a leer top.  I think it may be backed in by the ambulance, there in turn 5??

Yep, my truck, ambulance, fire truck, from left to right on your screen.

Have a little time off.  Go back on at 2130 until 0130.  Will have some pics in a minute.

Link Posted: 1/30/2010 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Great pics as always Larry.
 How big is the field compared to previous years? Bigger, smaller, the same?
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Any one who doesn't have speed, the radio coverage in on MRN on Sirius/XM NASCAR radio channel  

ETA  Picks up again tommorrow at 0700 EST
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Great pics as always Larry.  How big is the field compared to previous years? Bigger, smaller, the same?

45 cars, the third smallest field ever.  NASCAR owns Grand Am and that's why you are seeing so many yellows.

Link Posted: 1/30/2010 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The day started off soggy, but got better.  They told us we were through with the rain, but it's sprinkling now!

Link Posted: 1/30/2010 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome pictures! Jimmie Johnson racing the #99 yet?

Man, You wuld think people would show up to watch that event but, The 500 must be the big ticket.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Awesome pictures! Jimmie Johnson racing the #99 yet?

Man, You wuld think people would show up to watch that event but, The 500 must be the big ticket.

Yeah, pro 'rasslin really draws them in.

Waiting for Johnson to encounter another phantom GT car.

Link Posted: 1/30/2010 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Man the Camaros are doing great in GT. The Vettes are teh suck though. "Mr Daytona" was running 2:34s in the dry. Man I loved Scott Russel in the old days be he don't drive Daytona like he rode it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Man the Camaros are doing great in GT. The Vettes are teh suck though. "Mr Daytona" was running 2:34s in the dry. Man I loved Scott Russel in the old days be he don't drive Daytona like he rode it.

Just so you know, those Camaros are last year's Pontiacs reskinned to look like Camaros.

Link Posted: 1/30/2010 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just so you know, those Camaros are last year's Pontiacs reskinned to look like Camaros.

Built by the IPCC?

It was pretty surprising, new cars don't usually do that well. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Who's Riley?
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 1/30/2010 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Any one who doesn't have speed, the radio coverage in on MRN on Sirius/XM NASCAR radio channel

ETA Picks up again tommorrow at 0700 EST

MRN is one of the race fans greatest little secrets. Program them into your scanner when you get to the track. The comments between the reporters during the commercials are worth the price of admission to the race.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Larry!!!!!  MORE AWESOME PICS!!!!!!

I thought that was your truck, when I was watching  Just cought my eye I guess.

Been a few accidents down your way, but i guess pretty uneventful and nothing big.....

Looks like the 02 is leading, I think McMurrey is in it now, Montoya was in earlier, when speed finished up.  I always kinda root for Montoya, great driver, although he can be a prick sometimes.  I guess, I root for him from his F1 days, he never "fit in" over there with the proper F1 guys  If you get a Chance Larry get a pic of the 02 for me

I'm going to have to go through and make a album of those pics, great stuff Larry, the night pics are freaking awesome, with the cars plain and the background blurred at speed.

Guess you'll get the "rough" part of the night (3-5am) off to sleep?  Hell me I'd prop up a chair and watch till i passed out

Will hopefully wake up at 0700 in the morning to watch the rest.  I could go to the truck, and listen to it on MRN, but damn is like 10 degrees, with 6in snow here
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Like Daytona, I have been working corners at Sebring for 25 years.  So, unless something drastically bad happens to me, I will be there.  I usually work Turn 14.

LARRYG, I am at Sebring now. We are testing the short course tomorrow and moving to the long course Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Audi ran today with the R15 and a GT R8 that will race in Europe this season. As I was leaving the track this evening they were still in the midst of an endurance session.

We will be back here again mid Feb for the Wheels Down test and then into the real deal 12 hour race.

My money is on the Ganassi team at Daytona, they do things the right way and in general the team that spends the least amount of time in the pits that wins the race...endurance racing is a very different animal...

Link Posted: 1/30/2010 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Yeah, and something big musta went down with the 02, it's dropping like a rock Fuck!

Looks like it was engine problems..... Damn BMW engines, should have went with Ford
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#18]
LarryG,
Thanks for the pix & responding to my earlier questions.
Stay safe, dry & keep getting the cool pix.

7mm
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 3:32:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Wake up and see that the two I'm pulling for are still running, woohoo!

Go Shank #6 and Stevenson #97!
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 4:54:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, gotta go back on at 0930 for two hours and then I am done.  I am gonna take pictures after I am off, but if something big happens, we all respond even if we are off.  I always stay until the end to help out and walk out next to the track on the cool down lap and salute the drivers and they salute us back.  That's one of the best parts of the whole thing.

Oops, 60 just locked up his brakes coming into 5.  Lots of tire smoke,

Man, the wind picked up to about 20 or 30 knots steady and the temp is in the low 40s.  I know that's not the cold to you damn yankees, but we are freezing our asses off.

Will check back in later.

The "developmental" (for lack of a better word) Brumos team, the 9 car, is doing quite well with that Porsche V8.

Yeah, 02 "done blowed up" and the 01 was running a little slow right after that, but picked up his speed shortly thereafter.  I guess they were taking it easy til they checked out what happened with 02.

Top 3 cars, 9, 01, and 6, are all on the lead lap after 17 hours.

One of the pit workers was telling that the 94 BMW was just guzzling gas, that it was constantly in for fuel.

Dempsey ain't doing bad at all for a non-pro guy.  Of course, I pull for all my Mazdas.  Love those rotaries.  He is fielding 2 cars this year, 40 and 41 and both cars are still in it.

I broke my damn glasses last night.  Not the frames.  Closed the damn tailgate on them and shattered the glass all to hell.  Damn dumbass.  Well, my vision is not that bad and I can drive well enough without them until I get home and break out the spare pair.  I will be getting some new ones this week, but bet your ass that the spare pair will be with me all the time from now on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 4:59:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Built by the IPCC?  

It was pretty surprising, new cars don't usually do that well. Thanks for the info.

Not sure who IPCC is, but the team just applied the Camaro bodywork to their existing tubeframe cars from last year.

As for Scott, my daughter and his sister were best friends back in the '70s.  We also have several mutual friends.

He is still learning the cars.  He was only in a few DP races last year and the GT is a whole different ballgame.  If he sticks with it, he will get good.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Who's Riley?

You mean as in "Riley BMW", "Riley Porsche", etc?  They are one of the approved chassis builders for the DP class in Grand Am.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 5:06:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Y'all remember the Continental Tire Challenge cars that I posted earlier that were reminiscent of the Trans Am days:

Well, we had a vintage car exhibition before the 24 started.  Well, here are the two originals:

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 5:55:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who's Riley?

You mean as in "Riley BMW", "Riley Porsche", etc?  They are one of the approved chassis builders for the DP class in Grand Am.

Riley is the chassis maker.  The teams buy the chassis and put the engine/bodywork of their choosing on.

Larry, Make sure to do something wild on the "cool down" lap, so we all will see you
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:43:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who's Riley?

Riley is the chassis maker.  The teams buy the chassis and put the engine/bodywork of their choosing on.

Larry, Make sure to do something wild on the "cool down" lap, so we all will see you

Riley also does the body on their DP and GT cars.

And I can't believe what I just saw Dion von Moltke do, wow.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Larry, isn't that armco pretty short for a corner worker station?  I know there are areas on a track where cars shouldn't end up but seeing as how one past your station by ten feet and took out the armco, shouldn't the track safety folks beef up your station area for next year?  

Or are y'all actually on a hill higher than the track?
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I believe that guardrail is three rails high, with dirt packed behind it.  pretty solid looking.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Good to see Hurley Haywood running #59 riley PORSHE!

Larry G goota love the #70 RX-8 leading.

7mm
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#29]
IPCC is the UN panel on climate change.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

7mm

Hurley just got out, last time he's running, going to retire

Looks like the #59 just let go, what a shame
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Larry

Do they do any 24 road races for motorcycles?

The World Enduance seris runs the 24 Bol'D'or over in France and I "think" they have a 24 hrs du Le Mans too.  They used to have a 24 hr race at Nelson Legdes in OH, but I think they scratched it this year.

For domestic motorcycle endurance racin check out WERA.com and read their forums.

edited for horrible typing and spelling

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Well, I just got off duty and the fun begins.  First, one of the Camaros, either 57 or 97 makes impact with the tire wall and leaves with steam coming out of it.

Then the 19 Corvette pulls off at our station and is now out the back gate.

I will try to get some more pictures, including the last lap and the cool down lap and post them when I get home.  I may have time to snap a few and post before I leave.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who's Riley?

The track frowns upon us doing just about anything and I want to come back.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Larry, isn't that armco pretty short for a corner worker station?  I know there are areas on a track where cars shouldn't end up but seeing as how one past your station by ten feet and took out the armco, shouldn't the track safety folks beef up your station area for next year?  
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/rx7turbo929/2010%20Rolex24/corner%20workers/DSC08657.jpg
Or are y'all actually on a hill higher than the track?

The built a berm behind the armco to give it more impact resistance.  We are standing about 3 feet above the track level there.  They only built the berm about 5 years ago or so.  Before that, behind the armco was the same level and in front of it.  They built because cars were always hitting it and breaking the supports and also pushing the armco back because the ground is so sandy and soft here.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

7mm

Sylvan is a pretty good guy.  I have spoken with him many times and he once even helped me get a hard to find part on one of my cars.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who's Riley?

Well hell, just try to give us a wave then

I seen that corvette, what the heck happened to it??  So it's parked down in your station now?
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#37]

I'll be heading over there in an hour. I live in Pelican Bay and these cars have been keeping me up all night. I did not want to deal with the drunks and the freshman/sophomore drunk ERAU kids last night so I stayed home.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#38]
I want the #1 car to win.  Mainly because I like target.

Shows how much I know about this race....
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who's Riley?

Well hell, just try to give us a wave then

I seen that corvette, what the heck happened to it??  So it's parked down in your station now?

No, it went back to the paddock through the spectator area.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That would be the 01 car, not the 1 car.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do I have to pay $25 to get in there for the last two hours???  Or do you know a way in?

and fine... the 01 car.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Do I have to pay $25 to get in there for the last two hours???  Or do you know a way in?  

and fine... the 01 car.

I don't know about the $25 and I don't know a way in other than to pay.  There are two tunnels and they got 'em covered.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and fine... the 01 car.

I don't know about the $25 and I don't know a way in other than to pay.  There are two tunnels and they got 'em covered.

I'll pay..

There better be some good crashes.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Damn, the 01 just slid through our turn at about a 45 degree angle and now the 66 just spun.  We are looking for oil.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Damn, the 01 just slid through our turn at about a 45 degree angle and now the 66 just spun.  We are looking for oil.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Not the Target car!
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  
Not the Target car!

It's okay.  He kept going.  He was just seeing if we were awake.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#47]
so are you there right now?
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sitting at Turn 5.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sitting at Turn 5.
I'll be there in 45.

Maybe I'll see you.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#50]
tag
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top