Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/27/2010 7:27:19 AM EDT
Well, it's that time again.  Will be heading out this afternoon for Daytona to get registered and get my hotel room.

We start practice and qualifying at 1000 tomorrow.

Will post pictures each evening from the day's proceedings.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm tagging as usual.

Looking forward to the pics.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, it's that time again.  Will be heading out this afternoon for Daytona to get registered and get my hotel room.

What team?
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Details.....................we need them. Are you a driver?
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

After the gov. take over GM isn't giving me the VIP treatment anymore.
I'll tivo before I get stuck in the stands with a bunch of pissed off people who didn't understand it wasn't a NASCAR race

And yes,that did happens once.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

IIRC he works the track.....tag for pics

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking that it should soon be time for the annual pics from Daytona thread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Tagged for the pics.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What team?

Corner worker.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Newbie.

I have been working corners for this race for 25 years.  I missed 2002 because I was out of the country.

Used to drive back in the '80s.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn double taps.  Gotta check my keyboard settings.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll tivo before I get stuck in the stands with a bunch of pissed off people who didn't understand it wasn't a NASCAR race

That's one of the nice things about working the corners, don't have to mix in with the drunks.

Other than being in one of the cars, working corners is the best seat in the house.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Should we have a meet up for ar15?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Should we have a meet up for ar15?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I will most likely be at Turn 5 as I have been for many years, although I have worked other corners.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I am extremely jealous, and can't wait to see pictures!
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#18]
tag for pics.  I love the Daytona 24.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Have fun man! Missing out again this year myself.
Possible gig with a guy wanting to start his own team after the 24. Guess he wants to
test the waters before making the big plunge. **Fingers crossed and holding breath**
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Hopefully they will televise it on SPEED....
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hopefully they will televise it on SPEED....

Most of it.  I think they are NOT broadcasting from about 2300 Saturday night until about 0700 Sunday morning.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#22]
BEWBIES PLEASE!
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newbie.

I have been working corners for this race for 25 years.  I missed 2002 because I was out of the country.

Used to drive back in the '80s.

We all have to start sometime. Now I know.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#24]
FUCK, i forgot about it :(, I will be going to sebring for the 12hr race their.

I have speed TV in HD
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Tagged for pics also.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll be watching on SPEED.  Turn 5 is that the first horseshoe, or the second, or in between??  You need to put a BFL on you or near you, so we can spot you
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm in for the upcoming pics
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'll be watching on SPEED.  Turn 5 is that the first horseshoe, or the second, or in between??  You need to put a BFL on you or near you, so we can spot you

It's the second horseshoe and then a straight to Turn 6, where they go back onto the banking.  The first horseshoe is Turn 3 and Turn 4 is a high speed kink to driver's left between us and 3.  Some very interesting things happen at that kink, usually during practice.  We have had them drop off two wheels to driver's right, overcorrect, and wind up in the guard rail on driver's left at my turn.

By race time, most of them have it out of their system.

As for the BFL, the track has started this crap that we have to park outside and we get shuttled in.  I might get a car pass, I don't know for sure.  Just look (at Turn 5) for a white Frontier Crew Cab with a matching Leer cap on it.  They don't get close enough with the camera to see a BFL, dang it.

Some of the most interesting racing this weekend is actually the Continental Tire Challenge (formerly the Koni Cup and a descendant of the old Firehawk series back in the '80s) on Friday.  It's a 3 hour race for basically street stock cars.  They are allowed to open up the exhaust and use aftermarket brake pads and shocks.

They run on street legal tires, presuming this year they will have to run on Continentals, which means it could get real interesting.

I don't think it will be on live on Friday, but Speed should show it sometime in the next couple of weeks or so.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

i'll make sure i stay away from that end of the county this week.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Who is favored to win?
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Larry I will look you up...I am heading down early Saturday morning.  My Dad/Mom will have their RV there.  

Dress warm it is going to be a cold night.

ETA...thought it was going to be in the 30s///looks like latest weather is T-storms...high 71 low 47...this is for Saturday
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the second horseshoe and then a straight to Turn 6, where they go back onto the banking.  The first horseshoe is Turn 3 and Turn 4 is a high speed kink to driver's left between us and 3.  Some very interesting things happen at that kink, usually during practice.  We have had them drop off two wheels to driver's right, overcorrect, and wind up in the guard rail on driver's left at my turn.

As for the BFL, the track has started this crap that we have to park outside and we get shuttled in.  I might get a car pass, I don't know for sure.  Just look (at Turn 5) for a white Frontier Crew Cab with a matching Leer cap on it.  They don't get close enough with the camera to see a BFL, dang it.

Some of the most interesting racing this weekend is actually the Continental Tire Challenge (formerly the Koni Cup and a descendant of the old Firehawk series back in the '80s) on Friday.  It's a 3 hour race for basically street stock cars.  They are allowed to open up the exhaust and use aftermarket brake pads and shocks.

They run on street legal tires, presuming this year they will have to run on Continentals, which means it could get real interesting.

I don't think it will be on live on Friday, but Speed should show it sometime in the next couple of weeks or so.

I know the track layout well, but never been to a race there, been to the track twice in my life.  Wasn't sure on the turn#'s, as some race tracks # horseshoes as two turns, some as one, the kink, I wasn't sure about as far a numbering either.

So it's the second horseshoe, I'll have to watch around there.  I know a few years ago, when they re-did the motorcycle track, and added all those pieces of track inside that horseshoe it blew my mind I was like WTF?? then I figured it out

You say you've done it a while, were you working the year they had that big wreck inside turn 5 there??  Can't remember , what the car hit, think in was a pole or guardrail or something, was maybe 2-3 yrs ago?

So you waving the flags, or just assisting, with wrecks moving cars and such??  What kinda shifts they running for you guys??

Oh, and you may get lots of work, I heard it is supposed to rain for Saturday, which I think is great, I love wet races

So they changed the Koni series name, got ya.  SPEED normally airs it after speed weeks.  I like it for the mustangs

Ok, I'll quit asking questions, always wanted to do something like that, just no way to do it in my local
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Who is favored to win?

I would imagine one of the Ganassi cars or the Alex Gurney team, but in a 24 hour race, who knows.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's one of the nice things about working the corners, don't have to mix in with the drunks.

Other than being in one of the cars, working corners is the best seat in the house.

Don't forget the safety guys,they have it made
Most of the time you find them hang'n around with the trophy girls
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Add me to this list. Jamie Mac is driving for Gannasi in this race, this surprises me.

Quoted:

I am extremely jealous, and can't wait to see pictures!

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#36]
tagscribe
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know the track layout well, but never been to a race there, been to the track twice in my life.  Wasn't sure on the turn#'s, as some race tracks # horseshoes as two turns, some as one, the kink, I wasn't sure about as far a numbering either.

So it's the second horseshoe, I'll have to watch around there.  I know a few years ago, when they re-did the motorcycle track, and added all those pieces of track inside that horseshoe it blew my mind I was like WTF?? then I figured it out

You say you've done it a while, were you working the year they had that big wreck inside turn 5 there??  Can't remember , what the car hit, think in was a pole or guardrail or something, was maybe 2-3 yrs ago?

Well, there have been several major incidents.  Once a car stalled exiting the turn and was sitting there with no lights on.  This was before they lighted up the track.  We were waving the hell out of the flags and trying to slow them down, but someone nailed him and both cars caught on fire.

Another time, a Ferrari 333 SP came in hard, almost into the corner station.  The driver was knocked out and we had to stabilize and immobilize him until an ambulance got there.  Since that incident, they station an ambulance at that corner.

You may be thinking of the Porshe 911 that went screaming off the track at the aforementioned kink and hit a bunch of stuff.

So you waving the flags, or just assisting, with wrecks moving cars and such??  What kinda shifts they running for you guys??

All of the above.  As for shifts, each corner sets it's own shifts determined by the corner captain.  Each shift has it's own captain as well and I have been doing that for several years.

Oh, and you may get lots of work, I heard it is supposed to rain for Saturday, which I think is great, I love wet races

Yeah, I checked Intellicast before I left Waycross and saw that.  Could get interesting.  I just hope it's not spotty where they go to slicks, it rains, back to rain tires, it dries out, go back to slicks, it rains, etc, etc, etc.

So they changed the Koni series name, got ya.  SPEED normally airs it after speed weeks.  I like it for the mustangs

Ford is debuting a new race Mustang during that race.  Other than Porsche, they are about the only factory producing turnkey race cars.

Ok, I'll quit asking questions, always wanted to do something like that, just no way to do it in my local

I am sure there are some local road courses up your way.  Look up Virginia International Raceway.  Grand-Am comes there.  You have to work your way up working SCCA Club races as a corner worker before you get to work the pro stuff.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Tag for cars that turn in both directions!
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, VIR is like 4-5hrs from here, not practical  I think WV has one SCCA course which is Summit point, and it's 3hrs away.  It's a cool job I'll never have

The wreck I am thinking of was at night, but the track had been lighted.  I think the driver was knocked out, but I could have swore it was inside the horseshoe, where they used to park stuff behind a guardrail, which has since been moved I think.....  I'm one of these people that look at the surrounding track, curbs, walls, dumb asses with the flags signs,more than the race.  Yeah I'm weird
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#40]
JNK556  if you still live in WV check Summit Point Raceway in Charlestown, WV.  I know the bikes race with WERA, and they always need cornerworks.  MARRAC is a Mid-Atlantic cornerworking org for bike and I think they cross over with SCCA.

eta: beat by a minute.  3 hrs travel time in the racing community is like sleeping in your own bed....lol

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#41]
My mom and dad made it down to JAX tonight and will pull in tomorrow in their RV. I gave them my PCA membership cards so they can get an insider tour with TRG Saturday morning so hopefully they'll get a neat experience with that. I'd love to make the treck down for that and Sebring sometime. Road Atlanta is about all I get to anymore!
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Would like to get to one of those races, the rolex, being the main one.  Get a high spot over looking the infield, set up a chair, and just watch for 24hrs
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Would like to get to one of those races, the rolex, being the main one.  Get a high spot over looking the infield, set up a chair, and just watch for 24hrs

I will be sitting on my parents RV for probably 18 of the 24 hours...I like to sleep a little...
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will be sitting on my parents RV for probably 18 of the 24 hours...I like to sleep a little...

sleep is over rated

Oh, when did they knock the start back to 3pm??  I used to remember it starting at noon.  I always hated that, because Fox covered the first 2hrs or so, and my Fox never had it  SPEED's got the start this year,and I'll be a watching
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#45]
fellow track worker here, use to do timing and scoring out in nor cal
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#46]
In for the pics.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

IF I had to choose just ONE race to work, Sebring would win over any of them.  There's just something about that place and actually having been around for several of the track evolutions really gives you an historical perspective.

It started as a race using an active runway as part of the track and the airport was shut down for the race.

The front straight is still old runway and was left as such for the historical reasons.  The rest of the track is now a purpose built track.  We travel on the track in our own vehicles to get to the corners when the track is cold before all the practice, qualifying, and racing starts for the day and at the end of the day.  We can't get stupid or anything like that, but knowing you are out there driving on such an historical track is hard to match anywhere else.

The entire atmosphere at Sebring is so much different than at Daytona.  We are kind of looked upon as interlopers by a lot of the track personnel at Daytona while Sebring is all about the sports car racing and nothing else.  There is a mystique at Sebring that Daytona does not have.

Don't get me wrong, I love working this race and look forward to it every year.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IF I had to choose just ONE race to work, Sebring would win over any of them.  There's just something about that place and actually having been around for several of the track evolutions really gives you an historical perspective.

It started as a race using an active runway as part of the track and the airport was shut down for the race.

The front straight is still old runway and was left as such for the historical reasons.  The rest of the track is now a purpose built track.  We travel on the track in our own vehicles to get to the corners when the track is cold before and after all the practice, qualifying, and racing starts for the day and after it ends.  We can't get stupid or anything like that, but knowing you are out there driving on such an historical track is hard to match anywhere else.

The entire atmosphere at Sebring is so much different than at Daytona.  We are kind of looked upon as interlopers by a lot of the track personnel at Daytona while Sebring is all about the sports car racing and nothing else.  There is a mystique at Sebring that Daytona does not have.

If you are going to be at sebring let me know
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The front straight is still old runway and was left as such for the historical reasons.  The rest of the track is now a purpose built track.  We travel on the track in our own vehicles to get to the corners when the track is cold before and after all the practice, qualifying, and racing starts for the day and after it ends.  We can't get stupid or anything like that, but knowing you are out there driving on such an historical track is hard to match anywhere else.

Daytona is nazi land x 1000....when I raced spec miata there they would literally lead you by hand to the paddock area.  

But to play in their sandbox you must play by their rules

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are going to be at sebring let me know

Like Daytona, I have been working corners at Sebring for 25 years.  So, unless something drastically bad happens to me, I will be there.  I usually work Turn 14.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top