BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Target starts at $16 an hour corporate wide. Not sure I would call $19 an hour good wages.

Makes more than his friends in retail is probably more accurate.
View Quote

He probably get more than 40 hours if he wants. Retail tries to keep it at part time but for a few key people in the store.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Company I work for is hiring with no experience for around 20/hr now doing construction. All hurricane impact shit. We've had 18 year old kids essentially starting above $40k a year that's nuts.

what's crazier is a lot of them quit because it's too much or they don't want to travel. Last kid just wanted to play hockey and hang out with his girlfriend more and we were fucking that up lol.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]
All the people here shitting on a kid that is willing to bust ass instead of sitting on his ass in his moms basement playing video games on stimulus money and unemployment. SMH.

Good for you kid, it will pay off down the road.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]
We pay firewatches $20 an hour to sit near a welder with a fire extinguisher.  They will also pick up debris in the area and maybe push a broom a bit.

No per diem for unskilled labor though.  There are plenty of single moms in the local area lined up for $20 an hour and 50 to 60 hours a week.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Every skilled worker started out as a non skilled grunt!
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

But starting out at $40k+ a year....

Dang.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dang.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang.

I think I made around $10k the first year I reported in on income. That wasn’t that long ago. But it was back when high schoolers lined up for a $5 an hour job to dig footings, pack lumber, and throw shingles.

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Meanwhile skilled labor with 20 years experience and A&P license is just making $30 per hour getting bomber°s ready to defend the nation. 60 year old plane with lots of unique problems from decades of updates. Makes me want to retire and get a stupid job that won't frustrate me and curse aircraft enginers every day. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#9]
You can learn to code.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think I made around $10k the first year I reported in on income. That wasn't that long ago. But it was back when high schoolers lined up for a $5 an hour job to dig footings, pack lumber, and throw shingles.

View Quote
I mean for sure has been awhile for $5 bucks an hour ....

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/minimum-wage/history/chart

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We pay firewatches $20 an hour to sit near a welder with a fire extinguisher.  They will also pick up debris in the area and maybe push a broom a bit.

No per diem for unskilled labor though.  There are plenty of single moms in the local area lined up for $20 an hour and 50 to 60 hours a week.
View Quote
oilfield?
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Dang.
View Quote
discount tire and subway both start at $40k/yr these days.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Did you ever finish your stone wall?
View Quote

@Concentricity

Some pics of current status

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Stupid it’s like this.
View Quote

It's just the way it is.  

My siding guy had a dude that was high as hell on some opiate.  

I was just happy my sidding guy was there and I wasn't paying the crew by the hour.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Dang.
View Quote

I was making $20 an hour in 2000s starting out doing marine diesel work.  That job sucked.

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
oilfield?
View Quote

Refinery.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's pretty good for a framing crew.  

You just show up to the job when you say you will makes you  a good employee these days.  Especially in construction.
View Quote

This is true…we get no shows and guys who supposedly hung the moon but can’t last a day on basic assembly jobs.

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think I made around $10k the first year I reported in on income. That wasn’t that long ago. But it was back when high schoolers lined up for a $5 an hour job to dig footings, pack lumber, and throw shingles.

View Quote

When I started electrical trades in 2005 I was making $18 an hour plus per diem. But we were working 7 16s and the overtime money was crazy. That job really sucked.   One dude worked 40 hours strait and they were trying to figure out his paycheck.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I was making $12/hr in the late 90s doing entry level  construction work. $20 in today's world seems adequate.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Target starts at $16 an hour corporate wide. Not sure I would call $19 an hour good wages.

Makes more than his friends in retail is probably more accurate.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can't hire ANYONE for less than $20/hour, guaranteed 40, all the OT they want, 10 vacation/3 sick, paid holidays, plus medical and a 401k.  That's for a broom pusher, and even that's a challenge.
View Quote

That's about what all the local warehouse/entry-level professional type jobs are offering to kids straight out of high school if they can pass a whiz quiz.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I can't hire ANYONE for less than $20/hour, guaranteed 40, all the OT they want, 10 vacation/3 sick, paid holidays, plus medical and a 401k.  That's for a broom pusher, and even that's a challenge.
View Quote

How much mandatory OT?

I’ll show up Monday through Friday. 8am to 5pm with a one hour unpaid lunch. If I’m there at 5:05pm the place better be under alien attack.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The local packing plant advertises on the radio 25/hr production and 30/hr for maintenance. Plus an extra 1/hr just to show up on time and do your job.
View Quote

When I see stuff like that I have to wonder what they are hiding? I’m guessing it’s working nights with Tuesday and Wednesday off if you don’t have mandatory overtime on your “weekend”?
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#25]
When I was 19 I made $7 an hour laying underground cable. You couldn't find a job anywhere. It was brutal. Good for him....
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#26]
The Panda Express down the street has had a sign hiring for $18/hr.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I started my job in 1993 at 18 years old. Now at 46 with 28 years on the job I get paid more to not be there through vacation time than I made the first year or two working.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Huh. I always assumed that framing crews got paid in booze and meth.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The IRS frowns on that. They have to do the conversion themselves.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

The fast ones are.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

When I started electrical trades in 2005 I was making $18 an hour plus per diem. But we were working 7 16s and the overtime money was crazy. That job really sucked.   One dude worked 40 hours strait and they were trying to figure out his paycheck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn’t care for working that much. I’ve done it, but I sure didn’t like it. By 2005 I had started my second company and was up to doing $1m plus in gross before the crash… Then it was back to reporting $10k of take home income.

I’d say a solid half of all high school college kids here are on pot. The trades here are fucked. Old timers are leaving, retiring, or dying off. There aren’t enough good contractors and hands to fill the amount of work.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Work as a plumbing foreman in the DC metro market.  We use a sub labor/pieceworker company that pays 20/hour for green helpers/laborers; think strong back, weak minds.  These boys will work their ass off! Nice south american crew too, not a lazy one among 'em.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#33]
$19 isn't good anymore
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I didn’t care for working that much. I’ve done it, but I sure didn’t like it. By 2005 I had started my second company and was up to doing $1m plus in gross before the crash… Then it was back to reporting $10k of take home income.

I’d say a solid half of all high school college kids here are on pot. The trades here are fucked. Old timers are leaving, retiring, or dying off. There aren’t enough good contractors and hands to fill the amount of work.
View Quote

I started my company the next year.   I had 3 years experience by then.  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Lol isn't McDonald's paying $20/hr?
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're thinking of roofers
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top