Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Been there, looked out the window to where JFK was shot, studied the angle, considered the slow speed of the motorcade and gave it serious thought.  
Too easy. On a scale of 1 - 10, when compared to a same-distance/angle, downward shot from a typical Texas deer stand...... I give it a score of 6.2.

Oswald was an ex-Marine. ANY jar-head that couldn't make that shot would be exiled to the Air Force.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Shitty rifle.

Back and to the left.

P.S. You cannot get to where Oswald allegedly fired the shots - it's blocked off.

I'm really surprised arfcom would buy this kind of BS from the GOVERNMENT.

You can't stand in the exact spot, but you're only kept back a few feet.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

anyone who doesn't think it was any easy shot needs to quit typing and practice shooting ...

go squirrel hunting with a .22 .... something

my longest shot this year was a big gray squirrel at 72 yards ...

oswald was a pussy

It takes more to kill a human, and specially a high profile human target like a POTUS, than shooting skills.  While the actual shots weren't that hard, the decision to kill a human, the planning and preparation, the mental gymnastics of committing such a major crime and what must have been a massive adrenaline dump at the time of the shooting makes it something entirely different than picking a squirrel off a tree.  Until you've done such a thing, or at least seriously contemplated it, your remarks about Oswald are about as intelligent as the squirrel you brag about killing.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Shitty rifle.

Back and to the left.

P.S. You cannot get to where Oswald allegedly fired the shots - it's blocked off.

I'm really surprised arfcom would buy this kind of BS from the GOVERNMENT.

You can't stand in the exact spot, but you're only kept back a few feet.

When I was there, I don't remember it being blocked-off. There was certainly nothing to restrict the view to the point of impact.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#5]
60 yards. That really isn't that far away. I have shot running deer while I was standing in the wind and cold from much farther.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ok i'll admit i've never really given it much thought...but for at least 20 years...since i first realized that a guy named oswald shot jfk...i've believed that this oswald guy must a been a great shot...since there have been at least eleventy billion documentaries about how there must have been more than one shooter...and now i find out the shot/shots were taken from 180 feet away...

WTF?!?!?!

are you serious??!?!!?...this is what all the big fuss is about?!?!?!?

Son I feel the same way (WTF) is all the fuss about. I can make that shot,and over the past 25+ years have met at least 30 guys that can make it.

A lot of guys are going to call BS, so what. There are actually some of us that are serious about our profession and practice our skills to this level of shooting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I've hit soda cans with a .22 at that range as a kid

I'll admit I've always thought it was a lot farther than 180 feet
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#8]
First shot missed (target traversing in filed of fire).

Second two shots hit (target moving almost straight away in field of fire).
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:28:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
anyone who doesn't think it was any easy shot needs to quit typing and practice shooting ...

go squirrel hunting with a .22 .... something

my longest shot this year was a big gray squirrel at 72 yards ...

oswald was a pussy

It takes more to kill a human, and specially a high profile human target like a POTUS, than shooting skills.  While the actual shots weren't that hard, the decision to kill a human, the planning and preparation, the mental gymnastics of committing such a major crime and what must have been a massive adrenaline dump at the time of the shooting makes it something entirely different than picking a squirrel off a tree.  Until you've done such a thing, or at least seriously contemplated it, your remarks about Oswald are about as intelligent as the squirrel you brag about killing.  

Before you go insulting someone's intelligence you might consider the fallacy in comparing Oswald's mental state and capabilities to those of a relatively "normal" person who doesn't tend to go gunning for the POTUS. Better to compare Oswald to the fuck-nut, Laughner,  in AZ. How much adrenalin was he pumping? What were his mental "gymnastics".
I doubt he had worked-up a mild perspiration.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#10]
In the movie, "Salton Sea", a bunch of cranksters do a re-enactment of the assassination, using remote controlled vehicles carrying live pigeons. It is a must see.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't believe Oswald used the 4x scope, nor did he need to. Irons would have been faster and in this particular case, more accurate.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't believe Oswald used the 4x scope, nor did he need to. Irons would have been faster and in this particular case, more accurate.

The rifle was found after the shooting with a scope mounted.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't mean that the scope had to be used. IIRC, you can use the iron sights with the scope mounted, and as someone pointed out earlier, the scope wasn't zeroed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

ok i'll admit i've never really given it much thought...but for at least 20 years...since i first realized that a guy named oswald shot jfk...i've believed that this oswald guy must a been a great shot...since there have been at least eleventybillion documentaries about how there must have been more than one shooter...and now i find out the shot/shots were taken from 180 feet away...

WTF?!?!?!

are you serious??!?!!?...this is what all the big fuss is about?!?!?!?

I am with you brother.

I've shot at and hit two moving deer with a $150 muzzleloader at 100 yards from tree stands(obviously on different occasions)

How often do I practice with this gun?  NEVER.

The "impossible shot" BS is the dumbest of all of the conspiracy claims when it is repeated by people who shoot guns.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't mean that the scope had to be used. IIRC, you can use the iron sights with the scope mounted, and as someone pointed out earlier, the scope wasn't zeroed.

It wasn't zeroed to who? Side mounted scopes always have a crossover point at some distance so some people mount them off on purpose at one range to be on at a longer range. Lots of PSL shooters do this. As long as he knew he was off 6" left at 100 yards to be dead on windage wise at 400 it was still "zeroed" for example. Either way it was an embarrassingly easy shot for him to have missed twice.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I have been to Dealy Plaza twice. The first time, I couldn't believe how short the distance was and it kind of ticked me off. I felt I had been betrayed by all the conspiracy stuff I had read making it sound like some kind of superhuman shot. I was with my wife and told her, "That isn't that far. I have shot running coyotes much farther than that."

I believe Oswald was the only shooter.

Patrick

You do realize that all those folks puttin out all the conspiracy crap....are trying to make a living off of it?

Dealy Plaza just ain't that big. I drive through it alot.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't zeroed to who? Side mounted scopes always have a crossover point at some distance so some people mount them off on purpose at one range to be on at a longer range. Lots of PSL shooters do this. As long as he knew he was off 6" left at 100 yards to be dead on windage wise at 400 it was still "zeroed" for example. Either way it was an embarrassingly easy shot for him to have missed twice.

Or he could have used the irons, which would have been a lot easier to employ at that range and no need for holdovers.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#18]
It was even closer from the storm drain or the grassy knoll
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It was even closer from the storm drain or the grassy knoll

Grassy knoll is a crossing shot.
The storm drain angle sucks, shooting up, which would probably mean you're shooting into the windshield.

I've been to Dealy Plaza. There was really only one place suitable to shoot from and LHO worked there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#20]
180 feet is chump change.

i grew up pinking soda cans at 100 yards. 60 yard shots are common in all kinds of hunting. Fuck, my first deer was about that range, running (faster then JFK) and i was shooting from level ground, with a Winchester1300 non rifled shotgun. I am not trying to say i was some magic shot, its just...
not that fucking hard. even as a child i could never understand the range-hysteria around the jfk assassination.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Actually I find this a pretty interesting discussion.
I've seen all the programs on TV about it, and always did think the conspiracy idea was to far out there to be plausible, but the producers are good and they do make you wonder. Never been to the scene of the crime, but if it's as described I have no doubt I could have made the shot myself.
Like some others I am amazed though that after this time anyone would really care how the shot was made. As was already said, it was made the only answer now would be why. I don't get how important this man (JFK) was having not been an adult back then, but in such a ridiculously short time in office I can't imagine how important he COULD HAVE been.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been to Dealy Plaza also and felt that the entire "impossible shot" hype was overblown.

That said, for those who've been to the sixth floor...  I have often wondered why Oswald didn't take the shot as the motorcade was heading directly towards him, before they made the left turn.  Seems that would have been an even *easier* shot.

-Gator
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#23]
my question is, how far back away from the window was he and was no one scanning the windows of buildings along the route?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Klien's Sporting Goods in Chicago
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Oswald had attempted another assassination earlier on General Walker.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
lets see the limmo was moving at about 5 mhp or about 7 ft per second.  The bullet took about 3/100 of a sec flight time.  So the lead would be a whopping 2.5"

Except the limo was moving almost directly away, so the lead was...0 inches

The shots were not that difficult.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

How the hell is it that I've made it thirty-five years, watched several documentaries and read numerous articles about the JFK assassination and never heard about this?

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've been to Dealy Plaza also and felt that the entire "impossible shot" hype was overblown.

That said, for those who've been to the sixth floor...  I have often wondered why Oswald didn't take the shot as the motorcade was heading directly towards him, before they made the left turn.  Seems that would have been an even *easier* shot.

-Gator

Easy, windshield. Between the windshield of the vehicle and the people sitting in front of him, the clearest shot was as he was moving away.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

How the hell is it that I've made it thirty-five years, watched several documentaries and read numerous articles about the JFK assassination and never heard about this?

You haven't? I thought it was pretty well-known.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

-Gator

Yup, it would have been a much easier shot...at the window of the limo.  The driver and the governor would have been blocking much of Oswald's view of JFK, but once around the corner, Oswald had a great look at JFK's back.

ETA: Beaten.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would assume that the articles you read were mainly from the conspiracist slant. Oswald's attempted assassination of General Walker has been common knowledge for over 4 decades.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope,  never heard it.   I guess I don't pay very close attention sometimes.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Read "Case Closed" by Gerald Posner or "History Reclaimed" by Vincent Bugliosi.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Read "Case Closed" by Gerald Posner or "History Reclaimed" by Vincent Bugliosi.

Reclaiming History is the title of Bugliosi's book. Just be aware that this is an over 1,600 page book and comes with over 1,000 pages of source notes and endnotes in PDF format. If you want to know something about the Kennedy assassination, it's in Bugliosi's book.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 6.5 mm Carcano used an en bloc clip to fill the magazine, 6 shots.  The en-bloc cannot be inserted into the magazine with a top mounted scope.  The scope on this rifle was mounted to the side to allow filling the magazine.  You either must remove the scope or use it as a 3 shot repeater at best unless the scope is mounted to the side.

Unlike the Garand, the empty clip drops out the bottom.  There is a button inside the trigger guard to eject a loaded clip out the top.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It wasn't in the Oliver Stone(d) movie.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It wasn't in the Oliver Stone(d) movie.

Fortunately,  I never saw the Oliver Stone movie.    

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

-Gator

If you want to get away, you don't take the shot while a crowd of people is looking toward you, which they would have been while the motorcade was heading toward the book depository.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:02:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You should go to Dealy Plaza and stand at the window he shot from.  It was a chip shot.

Yep.  I was surprised at how close the 'x' was.  With the target moving down and away, it really wasn't too difficult for a good shooter.  I'm not a great shot, but even I could have made the first shot from there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:13:03 AM EDT
[#41]
a couple of the younger kids were discussing this at work sunday. they had a fake video claiming the driver turned around and shot kennedy. they didnt believe i said it was fake.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top