Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
~$100/oz
That should EASILY last a month, even if you smoke everyday.
Anybody paying $400/oz must be getting some serious Space Cabbage! (or seriously ripped off)
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd say $60 a month for pretty regular smoking of decent grass, assuming you have a 9-5 for at least 4 days a week.

You might could spend upwards of $25000/month for top-shelf mj assuming the same conditions.

Fix'd.

You are overpaying.

Shit no, way back when I smoked I was the cheap bastard.  Give me a 1/4 of some plain ol Mexican brick and my one-hitter and I'd stretch that SOB out forever.  That overpriced cuisine kind by the eighth shit was never for me, I don't care what kind of cool name you were giving it.

That being said, I knew guys that were paying a SHITLOAD for a very small quantity because it was the best or newest shit they could find.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd say $60 a month for pretty regular smoking of decent grass, assuming you have a 9-5 for at least 4 days a week.

You might could spend upwards of $25000/month for top-shelf mj assuming the same conditions.

Fix'd.

You are overpaying.

Shit no, way back when I smoked I was the cheap bastard.  Give me a 1/4 of some plain ol Mexican brick and my one-hitter and I'd stretch that SOB out forever.  That overpriced cuisine kind by the eighth shit was never for me, I don't care what kind of cool name you were giving it.

That being said, I knew guys that were paying a SHITLOAD for a very small quantity because it was the best or newest shit they could find.

To the tune of $25,000/month?

Even for expensive weed that is way inflated.

May as well smoke hash.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
~$100/oz
That should EASILY last a month, even if you smoke everyday.
Anybody paying $400/oz must be getting some serious Space Cabbage! (or seriously ripped off)

Ask the DEA illegal drug quality and potency has gone up quite a bit since the 60s.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#5]
How much volume does 1 ounce actually take up?   Like golf ball or baseball sized mass?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#6]
most of you guys are waaaayyyy off. I dont partake but I have many friends that do.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How much volume does 1 ounce actually take up?   Like golf ball or baseball sized mass?

about 1/2 of a sandwich baggy
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

May as well smoke hash.

Out here in KS I couldn't see it, but you can get a big fucking house here for $350,000 so things are relative.  For someone with the resources and a taste for the high-end High Times centerfold boutique stuff, hearing about them dropping $25k/month wouldn't make me deploy my shocked face.

Again, I haven't heard of it happening but if I did it wouldn't surprise me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#9]
A once a day smoker will smoke on average half a gram per day. That's roughly 2 bowls or one joint. People like that usually buy weed an 8th of an ounce at a time, for roughly 20 to 30$ per.

Heavy smokers will probably go trough  a half ounce or more per week. Really "good" weed around here is around 180$ an ounce, so  figure about 100-110$ for a half ounce.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to like smoking blunts.

You could pack a hollowed cigar with quite a bit of grass.  At my most, I would smoke about a half oz. a week, but then I don't think I smoked that much.

There are guys I knew that could do a whole blunt by themselves, in one sitting.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Take your average ziptop freezer bag and fill the bottom 2 or 3 inches depending on how compact it is.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

May as well smoke hash.

Out here in KS I couldn't see it, but you can get a big fucking house here for $350,000 so things are relative.  For someone with the resources and a taste for the high-end High Times centerfold boutique stuff, hearing about them dropping $25k/month wouldn't make me deploy my shocked face.

Wow. The high-end high times centerfold shit goes for about 1600$ a lbs around here.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A once a day smoker will smoke on average half a gram per day. That's roughly 2 bowls or one joint. People like that usually buy weed an 8th of an ounce at a time, for roughly 20 to 30$ per.

Heavy smokers will probably go trough  a half ounce or more per week. Really "good" weed around here is around 180$ an ounce, so  figure about 100-110$ for a half ounce.

<mumbles> lucky SOB <mumbles>
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<mumbles> lucky SOB <mumbles>

I don't smoke, so I'm not lcuky
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

May as well smoke hash.

Wow. The high-end high times centerfold shit goes for about 1600$ a lbs around here.

That's what I said.  It can't jack up prices THAT much more to get it to KS, could it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Noticing the lack of Sherrick, DaveA, and the usual BBB members.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#17]
$20 a week, an ounce is $60 and would last 2-3 weeks depending and thats all joints.  Big party on the weekend, $60 in one night easily.  Anything "name brand" (strain has a name such as sour diezel, northern lights, etc.) goes for at least $15-20 a gram.  If you are just smoking personal it's not too bad but since every pot head has pot head friends who hang out every day you either have to make big bucks or have NO hobbies besides work and smoking to always buy name brand.  Standard practice is at least 2 bowls for every 4-5 person in one sitting and figure at LEAST 1-2 sittings an hour.  Oh, and don't forget rollings joints/blunts makes it disappear faster as it's always burning which is wasteful inbetween drags but is the prefered group method as there are no expensive pieces to break and you get two drags as opposed to one hit off a pipe before passing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#18]
You just buy enough to divide it up and sell enough of it to pay for what you smoke.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#19]
rRefer is so much more potent nowadays that IMHO it's just not necessary to pay a premium for "boutique" marijuana. But maybe it's cheaper here because they grow so much of it. I don't know how true it is but I read MJ is GA's biggest cash crop somewhere...
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Depends on how much he smokes and the quality of it

Yep.

If you are a dumb white kid in the suburbs you are probably paying $20.00 a gram buying it one gram at a time.

Smarter potheads will get better prices by buying larger quantities in fewer transactions.

real potheads are hitting the pipe as soon as they wake up, on their lunch break, in the car after work and then all night everynight until they go to sleep. That kind of habit can run you a couple hundred bucks a week. Just like drinking every night.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the collective "hive-mind" here should write a book
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
One hundred BIIIIIIILLION, kajillion, fafillion, shabadoodledoo-lion . . . yen.

That what .gov spends to TRY and stop it
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I smoked a lot of weed in high school and college.  Haven't touched it in eight years now and won't again.

Back then, $100 would buy and ounce.  That was always plenty to last a month for me, smoking almost every night, generally sharing with a few other people.  Some folks could burn through that same amount in a weekend.  I'm sure prices have gone up since then, but that should give you some idea as to the cost.  Don't let the dealer rip you off.

No reg weed still 80-100 an ounce, kind bud is 300-400 an ounce.....

thats bout same from what i remember.

i was at a party and one of the guys i knew was a dealer, and hes like here look at this.

he dumps out his dufflebag and its got a fucking half pound of buds in it, he started weighing it all out and getting ready to sell it.

ridiculous, really paid his way through college with that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#24]
You pay more money for seedless shit.

Mexican crap is not more potent, the shit back in the 60's was better and cheaper.

Black market is a bish.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

May as well smoke hash.

That's what I said.  It can't jack up prices THAT much more to get it to KS, could it?

I dunno what prices are like in the US for top shelf stuff, but the price could easily double or triple I guess.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#26]
$40 for a Eighth of an Ounce, $300 for a Ounce, and $950 for a Quarter Pound here in WA

A ounce should last most people about a month.

If you don't have a job and just sit around and smoke all day, a ounce might last 2 weeks.

Most high quality MJ around here is coming from Portland or Vancouver BC

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Mexican crap is not more potent...

You cant even give that shit away around here. mexican ditch weed. Even the border jumping day laborers will turn that down if they have money.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mexican crap is not more potent...

You cant even give that shit away around here. mexican ditch weed. Even the border jumping day laborers will turn that down if they have money.

Same here.  Most of what is smoked from what I am told is home grown in the US, all of the protectionist should have pride in that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Really has alot to do with where you are and who you know........like anything I guess.

If your friends with the man who's buying 20-40 pounds at a time and only selling to folks buying at least a half pound at a wack, then he'll usually give you a decent break if you want just an ounce or so.

But if your buying from the street level dealer selling grams and joints.....your getting raped.

In the 80s in Maine.....weed was all sticky hydro grown stuff and 15-25 bucks a gram. When I moved to Florida in the 90s ......the same good quality hydro stuff was about half that expensive and you could get the regular grade stuff for 80-125 an ounce.

I asked my hippie-vet neighbor what it was here in NH and he said a quarter ounce was $40..........I couldnt tell ya what it was or looked like, but he smoked it all the time and because I lived directly above him, I could smell it often. It smelled pretty skunky.

When I was smoking on a regular basis in the 90s , I would usually go through a 1/4 to 1/2 ounce a week ($20-$40)............it was cheaper than booze for the level of buzz that I used to enjoy when I would partake.

****DISCLAIMER****

While I harbor no ill will twords those who choose to smoke pot recreationally after hours....I can no longer indulge.

It's well known that I feel pot should be treated no differently than booze,however......With the frequency of drug tests that my line of work entails , I could never risk getting high anymore.......let alone risk a drug conviction and loose my CCW and right to own guns.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Probably less than the average cigarette smoker, except the cigarette smoker doesn't run the risk of jail or getting shot by a dope dealer.
People buy weed from their friends.  Everything harder they get from a dealer.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
so let's say he smokes once a day.

1 small joint a day?

5 - 10 bucks a day at most.

Weed prices vary widely based on quality and how easy it is to get locally...

You can be willing to pay all you want for the good shit, but if no one has it, you are stuck with the shwag.

Likewise if you only have one trusted source - you are forced to pay what he is willing to charge.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#32]
depends on what they smoke, how they smoke it, how much they smoke in one sitting, and how much they buy at once

think of it as building AR's, you can build them for dirt cheap or stupid expensive
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#33]
In CA, someone who smokes once a day could easily continue their habit for around $50 a month.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#34]
The only pothead I know smokes higher-end MJ that goes for about $60 1/4oz. That 1/4 oz only lasts a week, sometimes less since he has friends that bum bong hits off him.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I am not in touch with this part of the populace, but why wouldn't these people all just grow their own instead of spending hard-earned cash on it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I am not in touch with this part of the populace, but why wouldn't these people all just grow their own instead of spending hard-earned cash on it?

Pot is a finicky plant and hard to grow, plus the threat of getting caught in addition to the overhead costs of equipment.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

takes to long and the start up cost is way to high for the average pot smoker is my guess....that and when the stuff is growing it smells rather strongly.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#38]
15 years ago...... 40$ got alot of weed in Seattle..... I'm just sayin.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#39]
a lot less than the $$$ required for an average case of BRD.

but at least I can resell guns
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

because you're lookign at a minimum of 3 months of growth time(depending on plant variety, can go up to 6months) if you want to reap anything worth your time, plus all the care you have to give to the plant ie: light/darkness exposure times vary with the age of the plant, simulating seasonal day light time changes. There's also the question of what and how often do you feed/water the plant with. Then there's the fact a sodium lamp will run you around 400$, plus you have to pay the electrical bill to run that sucker up to 18hours a day. Oh, you also have to be mindfull of temperatures and humidity.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

1. In Ohio, mere posession of ~3.5oz or less is a simple infraction. It's like a jaywalking ticket (you do lose CCW rights, though). Anyway, it shifts the risk to the dealer.
2. The plants are difficult to grow, and must be grown indoors to have any hope of not getting caught.
3. The equipment necessary to grow it indoors is fairly expensive. The plants have a strong odor that must be contained to the room they are grown in (don't want the neighbors to know). Lamps must recreate daylight. The humidity and temperature need to be controlled. You need a ventilation system, and air filtration to keep the odor contained.
4. Getting caught with an eighth in your left pocket a bummer. Getting caught with a grow operation means prison.

That's pretty much why.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Probably less than the average cigarette smoker, except the cigarette smoker doesn't run the risk of jail or getting shot by a dope dealer.

Meh.. dunno about that. I know of some that spent 4-600 bucks a month on the shit. stupid.. but hey when you are addicted.

And I don't need to hear any of that "its not addictive bullshit" .. I have watched some of these wake-N-bake types when they don't have any.. pretty fucking unreal.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. In Ohio, mere posession of ~3.5oz or less is a simple infraction. It's like a jaywalking ticket (you do lose CCW rights, though). Anyway, it shifts the risk to the dealer.
2. The plants are difficult to grow, and must be grown indoors to have any hope of not getting caught.
3. The equipment necessary to grow it indoors is fairly expensive. The plants have a strong odor that must be contained to the room they are grown in (don't want the neighbors to know). Lamps must recreate daylight. The humidity and temperature need to be controlled. You need a ventilation system, and air filtration to keep the odor contained.
4. Getting caught with an eighth in your left pocket a bummer. Getting caught with a grow operation means prison.

That's pretty much why.

Good point about misdeanor vs felony.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Don't worry you'll easily spend 10x on guns...
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

-snip-
ridiculous, really paid his way through college with that.

A guy who went to high school with me and is a year older also went to the same college as I do. We got to know each other and I learned that he paid for his tuition, rent on a nice house, car payment on a brand new 4Runner, and all the rest of his expenses by doing nothing else besides selling high end weed. $100, $200 an eighth type stuff, but sold as nothing less than a QP. Even he acknowledged that it was nothing more than extreme marketing hype (that he started) and gimmicks that made his huge mark up. He would find stories in the news then connect the weed with it some way, giving it an allure I guess. I remember some stuff that "was from a trainwreck in Vancouver carrying top shelf medical MJ."  

He truly was a brilliant salesman. I guess it fit, he was a Marketing/Adv major. If he's not sitting in some penthouse conference room right now I'd be surprised.

I know what he said wasn't bullshit for several reasons. He didn't have a job. His parents didn't have money and they lived across the country. He paid cash for everything, and always picked up a check. Nice guy, really. Just chose a different way to make a living.

BTW: Around here, average non-mexican is about $100/oz.  $900/lb.

Top shelf, High Times grade bud goes for $400/oz. if you know somebody.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#46]
I know someone who went through ~$300 a week, most that is because his woman will smoke it up or invite others over to smoke it.  After awhile he gave up

Average $50-$100 based on quality/quanity used
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

It's a pain in the ass, and takes months for plants to grow.  And to keep 3-4 people in smoke would probably take 15-20 plants staggered at various stages of growth, so that you're picking buds every week or so and starting the drying/curing process.  Which also takes weeks to do right.

Plus... getting caught with a grow operation is much worse than getting caught with a baggie of schwag.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a pain in the ass, and takes months for plants to grow.  And to keep 3-4 people in smoke would probably take 15-20 plants staggered at various stages of growth, so that you're picking buds every week or so and starting the drying/curing process.  Which also takes weeks to do right.

Plus... getting caught with a grow operation is much worse than getting caught with a baggie of schwag.

The ones that I saw try always get afraid someone is gonna turn them in and destroy it after about 1 month
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
So I recently found out a kid I know from high school smokes week on occasion. I was wondering how much a habit like this costs?

disclaimer - I have never smoked weed or done drugs in my life and frankly I never plan to.

FAR less than most peoples bar tab.

I have worked with people who smoke on their days off / weekends, then come in to work, on time, and earn damn near 6 figures on the weekday wearing decent cloths, hair combed, showered etc.  Taught me I had been lied to about the drug war and steriotype lies.  Are there losers on drugs?  Well duh.  There are losers in EVERY walk of life, from Church goers, to community leaders.  The people I know involved harm noone but themselves.  Just like smokers, pudgy couch potatoes, etc....

I still don't think it's the correct/moral thing to do and I will not partake, but how someone else spends their life, is not for me to control, nor my place to put men with guns on their trail.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a buddy that smoked quite a bit when we were young.  $60-$120/week.

However, he was working for a guy that was grower, so he got his weed free.  At least until the guy got raided.

My buddy has straightened up since but all those years of smoking have taken a toll.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top