Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah i think the 94' ban is just a law to scare people not to build a AW.  I don't think ATF really cares if a Joe Blow just happened to put pre-ban parts together to make a pre-ban weapon.
I think ATF would rather go after illegal Arms Dealer than many of us who're law abiding citizens.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 5:50:18 AM EDT
[#2]
That is my point exactly.

The ATF and even you don't know if the lower was ever assembled into a complete gun.

I don't care what it says over at old.ar15.com if it was made before 9/94 it IS preban and it WAS a gun at atleast one point or another.

I just think it is ridiculous for the people with a "receipt" to try to scare the guy with a preban lower.  They are NO safer.  If the BATF took the steps to go after either guy they are both in the same boat.  Unless it left the factory as complete rifle they are the SAME.

I still stand by my comments about post bans being the safest.  If you don't think the BATF could make you jump through a ton of hoops and spend thousands defending yourself you are mistaken, the law is vague for a reason.  I don't THINK thay will, but they COULD.

And no I don't own a preban, yet.

Link Posted: 5/25/2001 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Righteous Kill,

Wow, you may not believe this, but I can finally agree with your posts, thanks to this thread!

One of us is getting soft, I think.......

Cheers  [beer]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Righteous Kill,

Wow, you may not believe this, but I can finally agree with your posts, thanks to this thread!

One of us is getting soft, I think.......

Cheers  [beer]
View Quote

miamiAR

I suspect we’re both getting soft.

[beer]

Link Posted: 5/26/2001 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Just found out that the 10/22 that I bought from a buddy is Pre-Ban!  Woohoo!  Ruger is mailing me a certified statement that the gun is pre-ban.  Time to get a can from gemtech!  I just wish my AR was preban too . :(

Yeah, yeah, it was already an assault weapon, that's why I called to ask!
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#6]
WOW...

I am SO DAMN GLAD I just happened to read this. I was about to buy a "preban lower" and make it into a complete weapon thinking it was legal. I cannot thank you enough Dfender.

Well, looks like I'm hunting again!
WTB: Pre-Ban AR-15 Lwr Rcvr
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#7]
way to go, M4
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Bush Hamster:
I see why many of you are angry.  You tried to circumvent the law but have just learned the truth that the beloved pre-ban configured rifle which you've recently built (on a stripped receiver manufactured before the ban) is illegal.  

So now a number of you are simply in denial and babbling that "Its legal... and they cant prove sh*t!"   Well, if you have read the other threads here in this forum you will see that the burden of proof is on you.  

Go ahead and keep believing what you want to believe (and be the first test case) but dont try and get other people into trouble by spreading misinformation.
View Quote

That's great pshychology Bush, why don't you just say something bad about my mother. Oh, I'm in denial. Oh, I am trying to spread misinformation.

It sounds to me like you are the one in denial and trying to spread misinformation. You are trying to get some poor guy who bought a legal preban to just throw it all away. YOU are the one who would be getting rid of 95% of all preban rifles. You and the government would just love that wouldn't you.

So what do you need to prove a lower was assembled? Without the manufacturer knowing, what possible physical way is there to prove or dissprove it? I guess that means only the ABC manufacturers are allowed to have prebans. The other 12 million AR's are just shit out of luck, huh.

Maybe you aren't in denial. Maybe you're just a chickenshit and go crying home to mama at the first sign of trouble. It's people with attitudes like yours who allow certain liberties to be banned. People like you who sit back and talk a lot of BS, then when the time comes willfully hand over their freedom to the gun collection agency.

It's bad enough that a constitutional right was revoked in 94. It's bad enough I complied with that law and spent $1500 fuck!n dollars to own a $600 dollar gun. But then to have some asshole come online and interpret a law like a damn liberal pessimist and tell me that my gun is "illegal". So fu©k you and the horse you rode in on!

Right on, M4
[!]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#9]
This is sort of a recylceld post of mine but is still as relevant here.

I do love to debate these fine points but we need to keep this in perspective. All cases so far have been mere tack ons with other charges as already pointed out. In addition the level of study that posters here have exhibited go way beyond what a judge or jury would ever attempt. In fact a typical juriest may not have the mental capacity required to grasp the subject.

As a case in point the following I got off James Bardwell's site (he has given me permission in the past to copy this stuff to the boards).

U.S. v. Indelicato, 964 F.Supp. 555 (D.Mass 1997)
In this case, the court construes the "grandfather" clause of the assault weapon ban, 18 USC 922(v). The court believes that the weapons are only grandfathered to the owner as of the date of enactment of the ban, 9/13/94, and that no other person may lawfully possess them, ever. No weapon grandfathered as of that date may be transferred and possessed as other weapons may be. Therefore the judge decides that the brother of the defendant, whose guns were not subject to seizure, may not get a semi-auto Uzi model A back from the government, as the brother may not legally possess it, as he did not have it on the grandfather date, the defendant did.

So how bout that?  Think some piece of paper saying it was a pre-ban would have done any good?  No cause that was not important.  What was important in this case is that Judge could not read?  So what if your judge is too damn lazy to read one freaking paragraph?  Heck remember the guy that was busted for having both a short pistol barrel and a rifle barrel for his Contender?

I just wonder if you follow the law and are the only one in the court that has read it who cares?  Sort of like if a tree falls and no one hears it.

If you follow this to its logical conclusion you should not own an assault rifle.  It is clearly illegal under 18 USC section 922(v).  Or say a rifle and a hack saw.  Yeah that was sarcastic.

My point is that you can carry this so far and it get a little weird.  BTW all of my pre-bans are verifiable with documentation, and I very much like it that way.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#10]
That is a weird one, and there as been various speculation on what exactly the
judge was thinking, and what precedent it sets.

1) It shall be unlawful for a person to manufacture, transfer, or possess a
semiautomatic assault weapon.
      (2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of any
    semiautomatic assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed under Federal
    law on the date of the enactment of this subsection.

Note, “shall not apply to the possession or [b]transfer[/b] of any semiautomatic
assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed under Federal law. . . . . “

I also think you’re right, some people blow this whole preban/postban thing way
out of proportion and a little piece of paper doesn’t guarantee anything.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I will go $450.00 for the lower.  Let me know.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top