Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
DrFrige, will my clothes get cleaner if I put them in the reefer or the freezer part of the Frige?  

I bought a set of LG's over a year ago.

My electric usage has decreased by about 1/5th and my water bill has decreased by about 2/5ths.

Only two things I can say bad about the front loaders:
If I still was in the Navy (aircraft flight engineer and mechanic) I would be pissed, front loader washers don't get really heavy grease, dirt, grime and filth out of and from the clothing.

I have had to add water to the front loader so there's enough to keep the clothes soaking in it as the drum turns.

The washer mold thing: Yes, the washer will start smelling moldy if you leave the door closed for a couple of days.  

The reason? Front load washers are almost airtight compared to a top loader.
The fix? Leave the door to your front loader open.
If it starts to smell like mold run it empty with a full measuer of soap and bleach.

I can say that front loader washers do not beat the shit out of your clothing like an agitator machine does.

My jeans (Carhartts) are lasting a lot longer, about 6 months on average and the wifes work clothing is lasting about the same time longer.

Link Posted: 2/11/2007 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I can offer a little input on this seeing as how I'm a third generation dry cleaner.

A front loader is better than a top loader, generally they have more capacity, they will last longer and they will do a better job of stain removal. Notice commercial laundromats almost exclusively use front loading machines. Oh, and they also use less water

For stain removal you need 2 things, chemical action to attack the stain and mechanical action to remove the water that now contains the stain away from the clothes. A front loader allows a more gentle agitation (less wear and tear on both the clothes and the machine itself) but it is able to use gravity more to its benefit to remove stains. In a top loader, the water doesn't really have anywhere to go, as it is basically sitting in a big tub. In a front loader, the wheel spins around, moving water up and over and the water will naturally sink to the bottom of the machine.

I think I'm really sucking at explaining the differences, but in a nutshell the front loader will be a better investment than a top loader.

EDIT - forgot to add though, my dad always has one top loader in the shop he uses almost exclusively for overnight soaking of garments in sodium perborate. I'll have to ask him to 'splain that to me tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
We bought the Whirlpool Duet HT set almost five years ago. We do about 6-7 loads a week, sometimes more. We use them 3-4 times a week.

In that time...

The washer has never leaked. The whole fucking drum does NOT fill up with water, and the designers aren't fucking idiots, look at the door!

The washer is extremely quiet. I rarely know it's running, until it spools up on extra high spin (1,100RPM).

The washer uses less detergent, bleach, and softener. It uses less water, and less electricity.

There is no need to balance the load. The clothes will last longer.

I have not had a mold smell. Yes, after about two years I noticed a bit of mold on the gasket. I ran a cycle on hot, with some detergent and bleach, and wiped the gasket after. Problem solved. Now I give it a quick wipe after I'm done for the day. BIG FUCKING DEAL.

Oh, and on my washer, I CAN STOP IT TO ADD MORE CLOTHES. Within the first eight minutes of the cycle, I can stop it, open the door, add clothes, and resume.

The dryer has a moisture sensor and will increase or decrease the dry time accordingly. This system is 90%+ accurate.

The dryer is very large and also has a rack which is nice for super delicate clothes, or ball caps that I washed by hand.

The pair cost us over two grand. MORE than worth it, and I couldn't be happier.

The F&P may be excellent, and I don't doubt it, but frankly a lot of the "myths" or rather bullshit out there about front loaders are just that, myths and bullshit. You don't need three times the water and electricity to clean clothes. Americans are slow to adopt these types of technologies despite their use everywhere else for decades.

Mine has prewash, auto soak, rinse hold, and extra rinse which can be chosen along with the available cycles (there are eight or nine). Also, there is a sanitary cycle that heats the water super hot and increases the wash time to get really filthy and disgusting clothes clean. I use this cycle for super dirty/oily/nasty items - it can take up to 2:25 but so what? Most of that time is spent turning the drum, which makes barely any noise and uses barely any power.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We bought the Whirlpool Duet HT set almost five years ago. We do about 6-7 loads a week, sometimes more. We use them 3-4 times a week.

In that time...

The washer has never leaked. The whole fucking drum does NOT fill up with water, and the designers aren't fucking idiots, look at the door!

The washer is extremely quiet. I rarely know it's running, until it spools up on extra high spin (1,100RPM).

The washer uses less detergent, bleach, and softener. It uses less water, and less electricity.

I have not had a mold smell. Yes, after about two years I noticed a bit of mold on the gasket. I ran a cycle on hot, with some detergent and bleach, and wiped the gasket after. Problem solved. Now I give it a quick wipe after I'm done for the day. BIG FUCKING DEAL.

Oh, and on my washer, I CAN STOP IT TO ADD MORE CLOTHES. Within the first eight minutes of the cycle, I can stop it, open the door, add clothes, and resume.

The dryer has a moisture sensor and will increase or decrease the dry time accordingly. This system is 90%+ accurate.

The dryer is very large and also has a rack which is nice for super delicate clothes, or ball caps that I washed by hand.

The F&P may be excellent, and I don't doubt it, but frankly a lot of the "myths" or rather bullshit out there about front loaders are just that, myths and bullshit. You don't need three times the water and electricity to clean clothes. Americans are slow to adopt these types of technologies despite their use everywhere else for decades.

Mine has prewash, auto soak, rinse hold, and extra rinse which can be chosen along with the available cycles (there are eight or nine). Also, there is a sanitary cycle that heats the water super hot and increases the wash time to get really filthy and disgusting clothes clean. I use this cycle for super dirty/oily/nasty items - it can take up to 2:25 but so what? Most of that time is spent turning the drum, which makes barely any noise and uses barely any power.

Why you getting so pissed off, its just a washer.

Link Posted: 2/11/2007 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
My water bill is $15 a month with a top loader.  

How much could I possibly save with front loader??

As long as it gets the clothes wet and spins round and round......
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What amazes me is that they are designed and built by Australians!! Dont underestimate them... they are coming up fast in technology... I think they are responsible for Dyson vacuums as well.

Dyson is English. Manufacturing was moved overseas. There was a thread here a while back. But then there is a thread about everything sooner or later.

0-2 on Country of Origin here.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In that time...

yeah no kidding...I was wondering the same thing

Remember this is the field I am in. I was asked my opinion and so I gave it... relax. have a cream soda or something. I hear the horror stories day in and day out. I have NO attachments to any company nor do I get a kickback for preferring one item over another.

People want to spend over 2K for a washer and dryer... that is their perogative and G-d bless them they can afford it. I would rather spend 1/2 of that on what I feel is a great product.

DF,
I am not "pissed off", I just hate bullshit spewed and perpetuated about things people don't know about, much like the "experts" at gun shows. I didn't say the F&P product is inferior, I didn't tell anyone not to buy a conventional top loader. There is just a lot of bullshit I've seen about this topic on this forum.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What amazes me is that they are designed and built by Australians!! Dont underestimate them... they are coming up fast in technology... I think they are responsible for Dyson vacuums as well.

Dyson is English. Manufacturing was moved overseas. There was a thread here a while back. But then there is a thread about everything sooner or later.

Whew, I thought the Aussies were up and coming... glad to see that they still cant make shit.

KIDDING!!! before someone around here takes it seriously.

No more vegemite for you Mr "there's no D in fridge"!

Where did Dyson move their manufacturing to?

Malaysia, according to a Wikipedia page about the Dyson company.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Although Frontloads look cool as hell and give you that trailer park laundromat look in your house, they suck and leak after constant use, just like in the laundromat.

I know of a few people that have had floor damage because of those trailer park washing machines

You get what you pay for. We use ours almost daily at times. It's been five years. Not one leak, and I don't expect any.

DF,
My apologies if it came across as me accusing you of bullshitting. However, go back and read some of the comments, and read my post, and you will see that there is in fact plenty of myths and bullshit in this thread that I addressed in my post.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 3:49:15 AM EDT
[#17]
WOW Thanks guys it really gives us something to think about!

I think I am even more uncertain now

Link Posted: 2/12/2007 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

ill make it easy for you, buy F&P, or Cabrio w/o the center agitator post.

The F&P does this weird thing with the water by pumping it up to the top and showering the clothes with it.  They also spin @ 1000 rpm, compared to 640 rpm like other top loaders.

F&P are the best.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ill make it easy for you, buy F&P, or Cabrio w/o the center agitator post.

The F&P does this weird thing with the water by pumping it up to the top and showering the clothes with it.  They also spin @ 1000 rpm, compared to 640 rpm like other top loaders.

F&P are the best.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#20]
sears HE5t

just do it
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Although Frontloads look cool as hell and give you that trailer park laundromat look in your house, they suck and leak after constant use, just like in the laundromat.

I know of a few people that have had floor damage because of those trailer park washing machines

You get what you pay for. We use ours almost daily at times. It's been five years. Not one leak, and I don't expect any.

DF,
My apologies if it came across as me accusing you of bullshitting.
However, go back and read some of the comments, and read my post, and you will see that there is in fact plenty of myths and bullshit in this thread that I addressed in my post.

No apology necessary... i was a bit jumpy... these friggin people calling me out because of my Geographic Deficiencies... bastards.... bastards of the universe!!!

God I dont miss my laundry days, but Im haveing fun with the new Maytag refrigerator...u doing any Maytag DW recalls yet?

Your Brother n arms from 8035
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#22]
BTT One more time Going out today and coming home with something
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
ou

If you have a Lowe's, go there.

Buy a Fisher & Pykel, or a Whirlpool Cabrio, sans the center agitator.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whew, I thought the Aussies were up and coming... glad to see that they still cant make shit.

KIDDING!!! before someone around here takes it seriously.

No more vegemite for you Mr "there's no D in fridge"!

Where did Dyson move their manufacturing to?

Malaysia, according to a Wikipedia page about the Dyson company.

Actually the part of F&P that I DO deal with is made in Australia... thats why I had the mindset they are Aussies... The Refrigerators are made there. I even confirmed it with the F&P headquarters here in the US... HAH! so all of you that tried to refute my geographical challenged brain can kiss me "down under"  

Thank Doc..................I think
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Top loading Staber.

Love it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I just bought a new Fisher & Paykel washer and dryer set from Lowe's.  Their top of the line Intuitive models.  The washer AND the dryer are both top load.  The washer is a high efficency model that does laundry like the front load models, but with FAR fewer parts.  F&P has a standard 2 year warranty that I extended to 6 years for $140, while the other manufactures only offer 1 year standard warranties.

The set was $1600 + extended warranty + tax.  Lowe's tossed in a $100 rebate, and the local utilities will give me a $100 check because the model meets their criteria for water and energy savings.

These rascals work like a charm!  But don't take my word for it.  The Frige Dr. will probably be along shortly.  

+1x10^6.

I purchased a set of F&P last year.  They are certainly da bomb.

Let me put it this way for you young-uns:  Fifty years ago, front loaders were all the rage.  My mom had one.

Then...guess what?  The industry decided that top loaders were more efficient, cleaned the clothes better and were easier to repair...so that's what we've had since then.

Now...the marketing mavens leading the companies say we need to go back to the future.

Sorry...don't buy that.

The F&P machines incorporate about 20 new patents that the Americans didn't conjure up before the Kiwis did....so now our guys are boxed in.

We like our F&Ps.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just bought a new Fisher & Paykel washer and dryer set from Lowe's.  Their top of the line Intuitive models.  The washer AND the dryer are both top load.  The washer is a high efficency model that does laundry like the front load models, but with FAR fewer parts.  F&P has a standard 2 year warranty that I extended to 6 years for $140, while the other manufactures only offer 1 year standard warranties.

The set was $1600 + extended warranty + tax.  Lowe's tossed in a $100 rebate, and the local utilities will give me a $100 check because the model meets their criteria for water and energy savings.

These rascals work like a charm!  But don't take my word for it.  The Frige Dr. will probably be along shortly.  

So you're saying you think a top loading washer can be as efficient as as front loading washer?

Poppycock.

Top loading washers typically fill up with water, and your items are completely immersed in water and sloshed around in it.   Front loading washers use a small pool of water, and clothes are continuously dragged into it and then lifted out of it, making the water penetrate more effectively.  

I don't think a top load washer could come close to doing the same thing.  

Anyway... when I get a round tuit(R), I'll buy a front loading washer and dryer... for now, my cheap ass rented top loader does fine.  

The F&Ps don't work like that.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you're saying you think a top loading washer can be as efficient as as front loading washer?

Poppycock.

Top loading washers typically fill up with water, and your items are completely immersed in water and sloshed around in it.   Front loading washers use a small pool of water, and clothes are continuously dragged into it and then lifted out of it, making the water penetrate more effectively.  

I don't think a top load washer could come close to doing the same thing.  

Anyway... when I get a round tuit(R), I'll buy a front loading washer and dryer... for now, my cheap ass rented top loader does fine.  

I am saying they are as efficient... actually even MORE efficient. The F&P line puts in as much water that is NEEDED. there is NO front seal that molds up like on a front washer,

What is that? you dropped a sock bringing the laundry down and now that you loaded your front loader and it is locked you cant add it?

After talking to my customers that have the LG line, MOST are disappointed and want to return them back and want to go back to their basic Kenmore or Whirlpool top loaders.

One of the servicers even told my customer "Yeah you have to wipe down the gasket every 2-3 loads so it doesnt mold up."  Lets see,,, had my fisher & Paykels for 4 years now and had to wipe it down with bleach.... let me see now..... OH!! NEVER!

You pay more the second you buy it, you pay more for servicing it. Front loaders are overrated.

No thanks....I'll pass.

Oh and one more thing. we have no complaints on the washability of the F&P's ... clothes are cleaner than our old Maytag ever gave us.

Remember this is what I do and are exposed to every single day. You may feel differently and hey, thats life, Just dont say I didnt warn ya.

Ahem...The Doctor has spoken.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In that time...

yeah no kidding...I was wondering the same thing

Remember this is the field I am in. I was asked my opinion and so I gave it... relax. have a cream soda or something. I hear the horror stories day in and day out. I have NO attachments to any company nor do I get a kickback for preferring one item over another.

People want to spend over 2K for a washer and dryer... that is their perogative and G-d bless them they can afford it. I would rather spend 1/2 of that on what I feel is a great product.

+1 for A_G. But I spent a bit more than half of that at AAFES.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DF,
I am not "pissed off", I just hate bullshit spewed and perpetuated about things people don't know about, much like the "experts" at gun shows. I didn't say the F&P product is inferior, I didn't tell anyone not to buy a conventional top loader. There is just a lot of bullshit I've seen about this topic on this forum.

Well please tell me where I have bullshitted.

"One of the servicers even told my customer "Yeah you have to wipe down the gasket every 2-3 loads so it doesnt mold up." Lets see,,, had my fisher & Paykels for 4 years now and had to wipe it down with bleach.... let me see now..... OH!! NEVER!"

Maybe not BS, but a bit of dramatization to say the lest. We've had our Duets for 8 months and have no mold.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Have a set of Kenmore HE4T & HE4 Dryer, worth every penny no problems for a little over a year.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

So what did you buy?

Dont tell us the Roper washer and dryer set for $600.00
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#35]
We purchased our Fisher and Paykel set in 2001.  I have had exactly one problem in the last six years.  I washed a load of rag rugs and the pump inlet got clogged with small pieces of the rugs and the washer would not drain.  I had it taken apart, unclogged, and running like new in less than 20 minutes.

Best money (non firearm) I have ever spent.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what did you buy?

Dont tell us the Roper washer and dryer set for $600.00

It's going to be.......................LG just not sure which one 3.7 or 4.0  I DID CHECK,,, the servicer lives the next town over and is also covered under an extended warranty.

The water savings is a MAJOR ISSUE FOR US!
If the top loaders were closer in this category we would look at them a little harder..... yea I understand they only use what they need according to weight etc.............. but we do full loads we do not wash 2 pairs of pants.....
Also the musty midew smell can and will be solved by just wiping the gasket with a mild bleach solution or running the wash with a little bleach in it. I have had to do this with my top loader..... not really a big deal.  

We are going back today to make the purchase, I had to sleep on it. Its just kinda nuts the $$$$ that can be spent on a washer and dryer. I  do beleive that over the next few years this purchase will save us money on water and electric, also the amount of times up and down the stairs .

Thanks for the replys

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#37]
We bought the Kenmore HE5 washer dryer  front loaders about 1 to 2 months ago.

Quite impressive.  

We got large dog mats that the top load Maytag just would not clean.  The HE5 makes them look brand new and I mean brand new.  It even fluffs them up.

What is impressive is they have no free water when they are washing.

I would recommend them to anyone.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#38]
LG 3.7 in Black[on sale] with pedestools w/ drawers
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top