Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
i did this for 6 years and know your pain. metrics system that you had to be lucky to get a raise. only so much you can do for a repeat rate when the company won't spend the money to upgrade the plant and CPE instead of putting bandaids everywhere.

oh and asians tipped the best/most often down here in texas.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A-freaking-men, I don't know shit about IT. I'm just there to get the 768 Kbps DSL up and running. The customer can connect their 100 wifi devices later (and then bitch about the slow speed).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
  Routers don't follow the DOCSIS standard, that's for cable modems only.

And people, this is why you don't ask your cable guy for computer/wifi/networking advice.  Because few of them know what the fuck they're talking about.

A-freaking-men, I don't know shit about IT. I'm just there to get the 768 Kbps DSL up and running. The customer can connect their 100 wifi devices later (and then bitch about the slow speed).

"I'm paying for (bottom tier) HIGH SPEED INTERNET!!!!! Why can't I watch netflix while my 10 children simultaneously illegally download movies, play COD online on 4 separate playstations, stream Youtube, facetime, and skype?!?!  I'm cancelling my service if you can't fix this for free without me upgrading my internet sppeds."
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It all depends on your router.  If you have a brand new Docsis 3.0 cable modem, which will put out all 100 MBPS via ethernet, and you have it paired up to an old Docsis 2.0 Linksys router that can only handle up to 35 MBPS, give or take, then you are absolutely not getting what you're paying for. ALL your internet equipment needs to be rated for the speeds you are paying for/want it to process.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it true that if my internet plan gives me 100MBPS download speed that my wifi will only put out appx 1/3 of that speed?

It all depends on your router.  If you have a brand new Docsis 3.0 cable modem, which will put out all 100 MBPS via ethernet, and you have it paired up to an old Docsis 2.0 Linksys router that can only handle up to 35 MBPS, give or take, then you are absolutely not getting what you're paying for. ALL your internet equipment needs to be rated for the speeds you are paying for/want it to process.  

Gracias amigo. I'll look into my equipment.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for lulz and +1 for fuck that noise.

<-------electrician turned data guy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it true that if my internet plan gives me 100MBPS download speed that my wifi will only put out appx 1/3 of that speed?

And there is usually a drop going from hardwired to wifi.  If a modem puts out 100MBPS, even a good router will drop it a few MBPS, depending how far away your computer is from it.  New/good routers drop less but old equipment has a more significant drop.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I was a cable tech in Kansas.  Some interesting points:

-About 30% of the homes had guns out in the open; hardly anyone had a safe of any kind

-Unbelievable amount of hoarders and cat ladies; two of my coworkers went into a house and immediately went outside and threw up on the lawn at 8 AM because of the pet odor

-10% of houses are immaculate and their owners always apologize for how dirty the houses are

-90% of houses are disgusting and the owners rarely apologize for how dirty the houses are

-Lots of times I was standing on piles of junk in order to run lines
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
People think a cable outlet can be installed anywhere, on any wall, in 30 minutes for free
View Quote

"I want the modem in the middle of the third floor bathroom, with no exposed wiring. Oh BTW, there's a racoon in the attic and a few snakes in the crawl space. One more thing, the closest plug is in the basement bedroom."

I'll get right on that
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was a cable tech in Kansas.  Some interesting points:

-About 30% of the homes had guns out in the open; hardly anyone had a safe of any kind
-Unbelievable amount of hoarders and cat ladies; two of my coworkers went into a house and immediately went outside and threw up on the lawn at 8 AM because of the pet odor
-10% of houses are immaculate and their owners always apologize for how dirty the houses are
-90% of houses are disgusting and the owners rarely apologize for how dirty the houses are
  -Lots of times I was standing on piles of junk in order to run lines
View Quote

Pretty similar minus the guns in the open around here.  I have a pretty strong stomach but there have been a few houses where I have re-ran lines on the outside of the house instead of going into a cat-infested basement.  The people with dirty houses usually say something like, "sorry for the mess, we just moved in/a family member died and we got their stuff/I have a bad back and can't clean etc." When it's obviously been YEARS of non-cleaning that resulted in the mess I have to wade through to find a cable line.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#9]
So 3rd party contractor or an actual cable company tech installer?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

that would be correct. it ain't cheap paying for the material and manpower to run a distance that far. you're talking fiber and a node at a minimum if it's a hybrid system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's involved in getting the cable company to offer service a couple miles from where their service ends? I'm in the country and the cable internet service ends about 3 miles up the road. I'm stuck with shitty DSL.

I'd pay to have them run a line out to me. Ever hear of this happening?

that would be correct. it ain't cheap paying for the material and manpower to run a distance that far. you're talking fiber and a node at a minimum if it's a hybrid system.

If you have the right of way or own it, you could terminate the cable service where they will serve, into your own little machine room.  Then run whatever you want (fiber) to extend the network.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So 3rd party contractor or an actual cable company tech installer?
View Quote

Actual cable company tech.  Not to talk trash on contractors but in our area they are paid by the job, not hour, so it is in their best interest NOT to spend too much time at a single house or fixing a complex problem.  They have a reputation for a reason, but I wouldn't want to be in their position trying to make ends meet.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

"Free cable" is a thing of the past.  We're going digital, one of the last in the country to do so, and the channels you get on a cable box are controlled by the codes on your account, not anything I can physically change like in the old days.
View Quote
you may be one of the last, but my cable company will be THE last!  Rural cable in FL is like going back to 1980

I'll make sure to tip the cable guy next time, never really crossed my mind   oops
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And there is usually a drop going from hardwired to wifi.  If a modem puts out 100MBPS, even a good router will drop it a few MBPS, depending how far away your computer is from it.  New/good routers drop less but old equipment has a more significant drop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I figured. It's just annoying to have them ramble on and on about how fast their super duper 100 Mbps network is, to then connect my PS4 through wifi and run a system check on the system and see appx 25mbps speed on the test.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What was the pay?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did u-verse installs for a year. i would rather starve than do another job that requires me to go to anyone's house again.

What was the pay?

I walked away from that company at 70k and 17 years.  That's how bad they treat you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's what I figured. It's just annoying to have them ramble on and on about how fast their super duper 100 Mbps network is, to then connect my PS4 through wifi and run a system check on the system and see appx 25mbps speed on the test.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that speed is because of the playstation server. you're limited to whatever speed the server you're testing against can run at. that 100mbps can only really be guaranteed to the ISP's servers
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:28:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Never heard of tipping the cable guy.  No one else around here has either.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top