Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
r. Maybe you wouldn't have to take a 2wd van to hunting camp either. Throw a shell on your Taco and you're set. LOL...

Maybe maybe not. Is the bed longer than 6'-3" on a tacoma?
I wouldn't want  to leave the tailgate down with my feet sticking out
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:51:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
does a std cab yota seat 5 like the 2door Wrangler?........didn't think so...... closer to 2.5 wouldn't ya say, not really apples to apples then is it?

We could go on an on.....no, it doesn't. It would haul that quad you were talking about, with out a stupid trailer. Maybe you wouldn't have to take a 2wd van to hunting camp either. Throw a shell on your Taco and you're set. LOL.... Oh - It also hauls 1500 lbs of ammo. Ain't no cheep doing that.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e26/Trevor98Taco/ammotaco004.jpg?t=1245048604

Nice, you have to be running an aftermarket leaf pack to be hauling 1500. 700 was heavy for mine prior to AAL.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]
It's lifted 3", so yea - Downey AAL.
I've hauled close to 1700 lbs of rock before with no issues (this is with the smaller 98). Same with 1 yard of damp bark. Even the new ones stock can haul this (rated around 1300# I think). Not across the country of course, but your bark/dump/debris haul to the other side of town every now and then they do just fine.

oh - and it's a good thing we didn't get into the reliability Taco Vs Wrangler. LOL
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It's lifted 3", so yea - Downey AAL.

I've hauled close to 1700 lbs of rock before with no issues (this is with the smaller 98). Same with 1 yard of damp bark. Even the new ones stock can haul this (rated around 1300# I think). Not across the country of course, but your bark/dump/debris haul to the other side of town every now and then they do just fine.

Here is a little over a ton in mine. Only hit the bumpstops when going over the curb, but I had my leafs replaced by a TSB, with the ones that come stock, you hit the bumpstops on every highway expansion joint with 500lbs in the back.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#5]
oh - and it's a good thing we didn't get into the reliability Taco Vs Wrangler. LOL

Lay off the F%#$&* Kool Aid will ya? You'll thank me later. Do you realize how such comments with NOTHING to back them up makes you sound like that much more of a Kool aid drinker. This is why the rest of the gearhead community HATE toyota owners so much.

The Jeep 4.0 with either a AW4 or AX15  (toyota transmissions BTW) is just as reliable as anything else.  Only it DOESN'T require you to spend HOURS disassembling the entire front of the engine every  80K to change the %^$&& timing belt. The 4.o is an unbelievably robust engine that typically goes well above 200k with little or no attention.

BTW how was that KBB resale ranking for the Tacoma Vs Wrangler?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
You're such a nerd. The link you sent showed the Wrangler losing value on resale, and the Toyota breaking even. You are comparing the Wrangler re-sale in suv category as scoring higher than the Tacoma is in the small pick-up truck category. Get your sh*t straight.  I'll give you my homework later if you really want me to. I really didn't want to argue this stupid shit. Look up edmonds and check the Toyota Tacoma score vs Jeep Wrangler score. You'll see why it's the #1 small pick-up truck in IT'S OWN category.

I'm sorry, but I do know WTF I'm talking about. You hate Toyota because you bought the POS 3.slow and got f*cked. II'd be pissed too. t's funny how you comment on the yota v-6's being slow too. You obviously haven't been in a Toyota since 95.5.
I'm not saying the Wrangler is all out the worst vehicle, they're just not practical. Neither is a FJ IMO.

Edited to add - how many miles have you put on these wranglers of yours? LOL....I'm only 28 yrs old, so I can't back Toyota THAT far, but between the Toyota's my wife and I have owned (pick-ups and 4-runer), we've done nearly 400,000. (we've owned Toyota only for nearly 10 years)
With 0 major malfunctions. Seriously, 0. I've done CV's, becuase boots tore, cause my shit is lifted, an alternator (truck had 240K on it), a cluth mast cylinder (truck had over 100K on it - cost was $40 and 1 hour time), a pulley, and a shit-ton of oil was replaced.
Oh - and that timing belt deal for the 3.4  - yea, that took me 4 hours to do, which included all new hoses, belts, and water-pump (all preventive - nothing was broken or leaking).

How many people can say they've driven 400K in American vehicles with 0 problems? I haven't had a Toyota fail me EVER, ANYWHERE.
I guess that's why the Koolaid tastes so dam'd good.

Oh - and if you want proof, I can scan my 98 Tacoma's detailed maintenence list (which is the longest Toyota I've owned - the past 7 years)
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The link you sent showed the Wrangler losing value on resale,

And lemme guess the yota gains value when resale time comes. What flovor is that Kool Aid must be some really good shit?

My two jeeps now have 360000 miles between them on the original trannys, motors and even alternators. No cv boots to fix every few weeks even lifted and no timing belt shenanigans. I did finally have to put a water pump and clutch in the YJ.

Do yourself a favor and actually go own some other shit before you claim the one vehicle brand you've had is the best in the world

.I'm only 28 yrs old,

I put hundreds of thousands of miles on a 1983, 1984, 1998, 2003, 2006 Toyota pick-ups and a 4-runner.

so in the past 12 years of driving you've gone through a Toyota every couple of years. YEP that's  a great example  of long  term reliability there buddy. Is jeep the best vehicle in the world NO is it the worst NO. But Neither does Toyota hold the monopoly on reliability. Today lots of vehicles from various manufacturers go unreal amounts of mileage. If I dumped vehicles every 2 years I'd worry about resale too.

How many people can say they've driven 400K in an American vehicle with 0 problems?

So have you actually put 400K on ONE toyota? or is this number spread around 6 different vehicles wich averages to only 66K per Toyota

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is your proof of better resale on the Taco.
Taco http://www.kbb.com/KBB/NewCars/ResaleValue/2009_Toyota_Tacoma%20Regular%20Cab_246881.aspx?BTContext=IsInInventoryDMA
Wrangler http://www.kbb.com/KBB/NewCars/ResaleValue/2009_Jeep_Wrangler.aspx
Would you like more?

Edmunds on rating:
Tacoma: 8.0 & 8.6
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/toyota/tacoma/101020850/prices.html

Wrangler: 7.0 & 8.9
http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/wrangler/2009/index.html

Toyota reliability:
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/reliability.aspx?year=2006&make=Toyota&model=Tacoma

Wrangler reliability:
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/reliability.aspx?year=2006&make=Jeep&model=Wrangler

I'd post up consumer reports, but it won't let me.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#9]
AGAIN

So have you actually put 400K on ONE toyota? or is this number spread around 6 different vehicles wich averages to only 66K per Toyota
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#10]
And lemme guess the yota gains value when resale time comes. What flovor is that Kool Aid must be some really good shit?
My two jeeps now have 360000 miles between them on the original trannys, motors and even alternators. No cv boots to fix every few weeks even lifted and no timing belt shenanigans. I did finally have to put a water pump and clutch in the YJ.
Do yourself a favor and actually go own some other shit before you claim the one vehicle brand you've had is the best in the world
It doesn't show gaining, so quit making shit up. If you knew anything about what you were talking about, an entire CV cost about $75.00 and took less time to replace than waiting for your motor oil to drain (10mm wrench/prybar/15/16 scoket).
I have a feeling you're leaving a few things out about your repairs, as I wasn't. But that's okay - whatever makes you feel better about your POS jeeps. LOL.
Why would I purchase a vehicle that even their owners wouldn't recommend? a vehicle that is dam near useless except on a trail? The only people that swear by Jeeps are the Rubicons or wranglers's swapped with at least D44's out on the trail. Wrangler's just aren't a practicle DD.
I don't want to cover my shit with a tarp when it rains. There are 3 people at work that have Wranglers. an 01 wrangler sport has to park in the garage because his shit leaks. Same with my assistant at work has the same dam'd leaking problem in her 2003, 02 sensor went bad, and the other just replaced his rear ring gear. The D35 is about as weak if not worse than any toyota CV. The new 05+ CV's can run 35"'s locked with a crawler attached and still hammer down without any faliures. The toyota rear axles are stout as well. The SFA yota's with long's compare dam near a 60 w/ stock shafts.

Oh - and the jeep v6 is dam near gutless. When I press on the skinny, I want the option of creating smoke. Yes, the 33" on the newer Black taco on page 2 will roast them off no fucking problem all day long. My buddy's unlimited doesn't even come close to the Taco power wise. And he is more than willing to admit it all day long. Just as I envy his SFA. I won't lie.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
AGAIN

That's not what I said, or protrued to say. What I said was:
but between the Toyota's my wife and I have owned (pick-ups and 4-runer), we've done nearly 400,000. (we've owned Toyota only for nearly 10 years)
With 0 major malfunctions.

The Toyota's I've owned I already posted. The one that I have put the most mileage on myself is the 98 Taco (I put 90K on it) that I still own and is now retired to wheeler only status because I found a hell-of-a-deal on a new Taco, and I can afford it so why would I not buy a newer one? Same with the others. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to keep driving the same old truck my whole life. If I can afford newer, I'll buy newer. Not every year like you'll try to comment on, just every 3-4 years.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]
What I've used my truck for the past 2 weeks that I couldn't use a jeep for:
Yesterday I hauled an outdoor play side appx 5'x4' and some other rocking chair toy.
Saturday I hauled a shit ton of plants for the garden and also some 8' board for tomatoe cages
the weekend before I did 3 trips to the debris dump with old bark and yard debris.
Then 1 trip with new bark.
Also 500 lbs of concrete pavers.
A 6hp rototiller
weekend before (labor day)at one time, my wife, my daughter, a chcolate lab, and 2 nights worth of BBQ junk, coolers, tents, guns, ammo, games, & wood all at the same time.
I could NEVER go camping if we owned a jeep.
The guy with the new unlimited I was talking about - he has to have his wife drive seperately in her Pathfinder cause they can't fit everything in his shit.
Just not practicle FOR ME.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#13]
black taco you're certainly making a solid point.

It's like this for me guys. I'm looking for a PRACTICAL 4x4 that will be used for winter driving and island life with a trail like driveway and beaches that are fun to rip up.

I am currently driving a wrangler, great truck I love it, but its not mine. I don't like the incredibly poor mileage or how friggen impractical the thing is. No room to put anything!

But I'm thinking the 4cyl taco as its cheaper, more efficient, and requires alot less maintenance.

So lets try and focus more on the 4cyl access cab 4x4 SR5.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#14]
MSRP on a 4x4 2.7 5spd access cab is $23,040. I'd check your local dealer and see what they are offering. It could be cheaper given the situation we are in.

I'm sure you've checked your local CL? I just did, and it looks like there is damn near nothing in your area. That sucks.
Only thing I found:
Dartmouth: http://providence.craigslist.org/ctd/1213346317.html asking 20,799 - which means try offering 18.5 and walk away.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:57:59 AM EDT
[#15]
local dealer quoted me 19.9 for a base model 4x4 access cab or like 21.4k for the SR5 packaged taco. This was about a month or so ago so I figure at the end of the summer i can get an 09 leftover alot cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
local dealer quoted me 19.9 for a base model 4x4 access cab or like 21.4k for the SR5 packaged taco. This was about a month or so ago so I figure at the end of the summer i can get an 09 leftover alot cheaper.

That sounds like a deal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#17]
its a good deal on the base model but I feel it could be better on the SR5 model.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top