Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thats awesome. Huge congrats
View Quote

Full disclosure:

Our 1st hike could have probably killed Lance Armstrong.  

I unintentionally picked the hardest 6 miler in Kansas.

And yes we do have hills in Kansas you just have to go to the southeastern part of the state.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Do I get extra points if I show up with all gucci gear that's super clean?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dunno about extra points but it won’t be clean when you leave.  Here’s my muzzle after I fell down a ravine during night land nav at WFC 2020.  That happened more than once throughout the event, too. I have some ideas about how to alleviate that problem this year.  The first idea is to not fall down any ravines but I’m not confident it’ll work.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well, I mean, if that is your standard...
View Quote

Even when I though falling out of airplanes and playing Ranger, I still couldn't out run T-72s. It is part of that smart thing ....
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you land nav at night without a light?

Does NV fall outside of what your definition of a light is? If so, I can.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There are most certainly many, many men in their 40s and 50s who have lived relatively sedentary lives that now enjoy better joints than I do.  I've had serious injuries several times over the years, and look like a zombie walking in the cold now because of a permanent limp and arthritis.  

Many people just don't believe they are capable of something because they've never gotten out of their comfort zone to try.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It absolutely does.

The ability to operate effectively under stress, and to rapidly think through problems and come up with solutions on the fly, is most definitely applicable to real life defense situations.

As far as the age bit goes, half of the participants last year we over 40, with a few in their 50s who are not military or prior military.

I believe OP is correct. Lots of guys who didn't do shit and have office jobs, get fit and can move well at older ages to play soldier because they have zero miles on the odometer. I still have to work for a living and can't afford to fuck up what little body I have left after 30 yes if getting after it. You don't see Marcus Luttrell showing up at Cola Warrior to run it.

There are most certainly many, many men in their 40s and 50s who have lived relatively sedentary lives that now enjoy better joints than I do.  I've had serious injuries several times over the years, and look like a zombie walking in the cold now because of a permanent limp and arthritis.  

Many people just don't believe they are capable of something because they've never gotten out of their comfort zone to try.

Do I get a pass if my leg comes off? ??
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you a competent shooter?

Even when you are tired?

Can you fight through exhaustion?

Are you smart?

Are you a jack of all trades?

Can you land nav at night without a light?

Do you know ropes?

Come on then. Show us what you're made of.

*We also need support staff volunteers.
View Quote

I am a NO to all of the above.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Is this like Cola Warrior, except for the puking?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is this like Cola Warrior, except for the puking?
View Quote

Lots of cola warriors did it last october.

But it's a little different. Same kind of mindset.  Suck less.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lots of cola warriors did it last october.

But it's a little different. Same kind of mindset.  Suck less.
View Quote

Wish it wasn't in Montana.  That's a long way from Somalia.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is fitness important or should we neglect it?
View Quote

Do a pull up the night before and you’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Full disclosure:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats awesome. Huge congrats

Full disclosure:

Here's what some sections of the trail looked like if anyone was wondering!  The red line is the trail heading back up the hill after crossing the stream.

Attachment Attached File

45 pound pack (not counting water) and cover 6 miles in less than 2 hours.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Better start swimming.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I dunno about extra points but it won’t be clean when you leave.  Here’s my muzzle after I fell down a ravine during night land nav at WFC 2020.  That happened more than once throughout the event, too. I have some ideas about how to alleviate that problem this year.  The first idea is to not fall down any ravines but I’m not confident it’ll work.

Attachment Attached File
View Quote

If they'll fit over the BattleComp get some muzzle covers.  They're designed to fit over a standard flash hider.

If they won't fit just make one out of duct tape.  Do one layer with the sticky side up then a few layers with the sticky side down so it'll slide on and off without leaving residue behind.  Alternate making a plus sign over the muzzle and wrapping around the muzzle device and you don't have to worry about an obstructed barrel.  In an emergency they'll shoot off without harming the barrel or muzzle device.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If they'll fit over the BattleComp get some muzzle covers.  They're designed to fit over a standard flash hider.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31XFvVjyqdL._AC_.jpg

If they won't fit just make one out of duct tape.  Do one layer with the sticky side up then a few layers with the sticky side down so it'll slide on and off without leaving residue behind.  Alternate making a plus sign over the muzzle and wrapping around the muzzle device and you don't have to worry about an obstructed barrel.  In an emergency they'll shoot off without harming the barrel or muzzle device.
View Quote

That’s pretty much what I was envisioning.  That’s one of the great things about doing this APC stuff.  It makes you learn the little things that can make a big different in soldiering.  Stuff that could seem like common sense but is easy to overlook.  During the Dolly Sods (Soggy Dogs?) hurricane FTX my notebook full of important numbers was turned into porridge by the unrelenting rain.  So I bought a Write In the Rain notebook and pen.  Having a muzzle packed tight with mud could be a bad deal if you didn’t clear it before firing.  Nothing like experiencing these problems firsthand to sear them into your memory.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Do I have to be military?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Here's what some sections of the trail looked like if anyone was wondering!  The red line is the trail heading back up the hill after crossing the stream.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84345/IMG_1119_jpg-1805671.JPG

View Quote

Looks like normal trail.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Why the yellow?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Looks like normal trail.
View Quote

Not in Kansas. There is like only one hill on the entire Ft. Riley military reservation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Any chance of an event closer to the cool people?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nope
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope

Will she be there?
Left arrow.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Only if the no-light night nav course is away from any city lights, before the moon comes up, on an overcast night, and you gotta nav through a rocky field full of gopher holes
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Looks like normal trail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84345/IMG_1119_jpg-1805671.JPG

Looks like normal trail.

It is.

The humorous issue is that the APC hike standards (6 miles in 2 hours) are based on military road march standards not more rugged trails that obviously reduce your speed.  The funniest part is that Notcalifornialegal inadvertently chose one of the more rugged trails in the state for what was our first ever road march.

There were sections where we were grabbing the trunks of small trees to pull ourselves up the hill because the steepness and mud made it questionable whether we could continue without busting our asses.

We still made the time requirement.  I hit 6 miles with maybe 2 minutes to spare.  The last over half mile was on road because the trail was a touch short and I had to do it at a 10 minute/mile pace with a pack to beat the time limit.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Where is this at?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It is.

The humorous issue is that the APC hike standards (6 miles in 2 hours) are based on military road march standards not more rugged trails that obviously reduce your speed.  The funniest part is that Notcalifornialegal inadvertently chose one of the more rugged trails in the state for what was our first ever road march.

There were sections where we were grabbing the trunks of small trees to pull ourselves up the hill because the steepness and mud made it questionable whether we could continue without busting our asses.

We still made the time requirement.  I hit 6 miles with maybe 2 minutes to spare.  The last over half mile was on road because the trail was a touch short and I had to do it at a 10 minute/mile pace with a pack to beat the time limit.
View Quote

When I hiked in Hawaii, 11 mile trail took me 7 hours.  Wild trail.  I was looking at the scenery a bit though.  

Here it's mostly flat. 6 miles in 2 hours would be pretty easy.

I did a super spartan that was 12 miles took about 3.5 hours.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I dunno about extra points but it won’t be clean when you leave.  Here’s my muzzle after I fell down a ravine during night land nav at WFC 2020.  That happened more than once throughout the event, too. I have some ideas about how to alleviate that problem this year.  The first idea is to not fall down any ravines but I’m not confident it’ll work.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327494/0F25F272-2BA6-42D2-8DA3-F833AA11C257-1898649.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno about extra points but it won’t be clean when you leave.  Here’s my muzzle after I fell down a ravine during night land nav at WFC 2020.  That happened more than once throughout the event, too. I have some ideas about how to alleviate that problem this year.  The first idea is to not fall down any ravines but I’m not confident it’ll work.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327494/0F25F272-2BA6-42D2-8DA3-F833AA11C257-1898649.jpg

You haven't assembled a cleaning rod and cleaned an upper while on the move, and kept pace?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Baby due that week. Wife might shoot me if I attended

Have fun!
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#30]
You couldn't schedule it after school is out, could you.

Sounds like a great time, have fun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Will she be there?
Left arrow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope

Will she be there?
Left arrow.

My avatar? No I imagine she's somewhere in Europe probably married and sometimes puts on the outfit for holidays
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did the 2020 one and now I live here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
 Having a muzzle packed tight with mud could be a bad deal if you didn’t clear it before firing.  Nothing like experiencing these problems firsthand to sear them into your memory.
View Quote

That's really not an issue. See DemoRanch Hi-Point videos for scientific testing of plugged barrels.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 1:48:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Awwww shit all that yellow highlighting to get my attention..... just to be a cruel joke and false alarm!! Piss on fun & games. I'm 67 but I can stand, see, hear, and shoot just fine thank you. I'm in if you can show me the commander, where the uniforms are being handed out, and the barracks where me and another thousand are waiting & ready.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I believe OP is correct. Lots of guys who didn't do shit and have office jobs, get fit and can move well at older ages to play soldier because they have zero miles on the odometer. I still have to work for a living and can't afford to fuck up what little body I have left after 30 yes if getting after it. You don't see Marcus Luttrell showing up at Cola Warrior to run it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It absolutely does.

The ability to operate effectively under stress, and to rapidly think through problems and come up with solutions on the fly, is most definitely applicable to real life defense situations.

As far as the age bit goes, half of the participants last year we over 40, with a few in their 50s who are not military or prior military.

I was one of the guys in his 50's there last year. With 33 years in roofing behind me, I have more "miles on the odometer" than most. I'll be back this year. I'm not going to win the thing but I hope to make a few younger guys feel a little bad about themselves.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No idea what your stats are but I’ll share mine for you to consider.

52 years old, 5’9”, 225 lbs when I started.  Started losing weight and working out but still got my ass kicked on the first two hikes.  I made the 2 hour cut off (barely) but looked and sounded like I was about to explode my heart.

Kept working out and upped my cardio workouts into structured high intensity intervals and finally did decent on the third hike meaning I kept up with the group.

By our May hike I’ll be down around 25 pounds (the weight loss definitely helps) but more importantly will be finishing my second cycle of high intensity interval training (4 weeks of killing it and 1 or 2 weeks recovery).  

An extremely strong cardio system is the single biggest requirement for doing this stuff.  It was true 35 years ago when I was toting a SAW and PRC-77 on forced marches and smoking everyone else in my infantry company and it’s true now.  

The pack and pace tax your cardio.  Stronger cardio makes it easy.  You get stronger cardio by doing intervals at an intensity that has you worried about throwing up or passing out.

As a former high level bike racer I’m doing my cardio on the bike.  For an old guy with a knee that’s not 100% it lets me push it really hard without further damaging my mangled body.

If you’re not using them check out one of the online subscription workout programs.  Having a "coach" or class on the screen demonstrating the workouts and keeping a timer going helps to push you harder than just doing it alone.  I use Sufferfest on the bike but there are a ton of options like Beach Body that work great for non bike workouts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m down 26lbs since last years qual Ben.  But I just can’t seem to get my stamina and cardio up to an acceptable level. I’m going to keep working at it, but I may be aged and healthed out.

52 years old, 5’9”, 225 lbs when I started.  Started losing weight and working out but still got my ass kicked on the first two hikes.  I made the 2 hour cut off (barely) but looked and sounded like I was about to explode my heart.

Kept working out and upped my cardio workouts into structured high intensity intervals and finally did decent on the third hike meaning I kept up with the group.

By our May hike I’ll be down around 25 pounds (the weight loss definitely helps) but more importantly will be finishing my second cycle of high intensity interval training (4 weeks of killing it and 1 or 2 weeks recovery).  

An extremely strong cardio system is the single biggest requirement for doing this stuff.  It was true 35 years ago when I was toting a SAW and PRC-77 on forced marches and smoking everyone else in my infantry company and it’s true now.  

The pack and pace tax your cardio.  Stronger cardio makes it easy.  You get stronger cardio by doing intervals at an intensity that has you worried about throwing up or passing out.

As a former high level bike racer I’m doing my cardio on the bike.  For an old guy with a knee that’s not 100% it lets me push it really hard without further damaging my mangled body.

If you’re not using them check out one of the online subscription workout programs.  Having a "coach" or class on the screen demonstrating the workouts and keeping a timer going helps to push you harder than just doing it alone.  I use Sufferfest on the bike but there are a ton of options like Beach Body that work great for non bike workouts.

Thanks man.

Shit diet and sedentary living has finally caught up with me after 40.

I am still in pretty rough shape.  Im way overweight still.  I was strong and much healthier two years ago, but have rapidly declined in overall cardiovascular health. A year ago, I did a hundred yard dash, and at the end I was so very winded it was terrible. By The end of the year, I was having a ton of issues just catching my breath.  BP and Blood sugar were shit.  I had to get on meds for it.  I’ve been trying to get more active, but I keep hitting a wall with getting enough oxygen to do cardio exercise for more than ten minutes at a time.   I have a mile and a half of trails, with a few hundred feet of rises and falls on my property and it took almost an hour, with several stops, to cover it all yesterday.

I have been overweight for twenty years.  But I’ve always been strong and had a lot of stamina (though not the best cardio). I’m really not used to being in this condition i am in now. It’s happened so hard and so fast.  It’s been incredibly difficult on me psychologically to be honest. Debilitating. I am going to keep working on getting better, I have to, but is slow going.  

You younger men; heed my example and don’t be like me.  Eat healthy brothers, and get plenty of exercise.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks man.

I am still in pretty rough shape.  Im way overweight still.  I was strong and much healthier two years ago, but have rapidly declined in overall cardiovascular health. A year ago, I did a hundred yard dash, and at the end I was so very winded it was terrible. By The end of the year, I was having a ton of issues just catching my breath.  BP and Blood sugar were shit.  I had to get on meds for it.  I’ve been trying to get more active, but I keep hitting a wall with getting enough oxygen to do cardio exercise for more than ten minutes at a time.   I have a mile and a half of trails, with a few hundred feet of rises and falls on my property and it took almost an hour, with several stops, to cover it all yesterday.

I have been overweight for twenty years.  But I’ve always been strong and had a lot of stamina (though not the best cardio). I’m really not used to being in this condition i am in now. It’s happened so hard and so fast.  It’s been incredibly difficult on me psychologically to be honest. Debilitating. I am going to keep working on getting better, I have to, but is slow going.  

You younger men; heed my example and don’t be like me.  Eat healthy brothers, and get plenty of exercise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m down 26lbs since last years qual Ben.  But I just can’t seem to get my stamina and cardio up to an acceptable level. I’m going to keep working at it, but I may be aged and healthed out.

Thanks man.

Keep at it!  For now focus on low intensity cardio that you can sustain as long as possible.  Anything more than sitting on the couch counts as low intensity cardio.  Just get your heart pumping a little more than it is when not moving.  From where you're at right now I would avoid things like sprints or intervals.

Barring some heart problem (sounds like you have good medical care) you'll slowly see some improvement as long as you do something (almost) every day.  Consistency is the key.  Taking a day off once a week is fine but you won't see much improvement if you only exercise 3 days a week.

Eventually you'll be able to do continuous exercise for an hour which I'd set as the minimum standard before you start doing any high intensity stuff.
Get the all clear from a doctor before you begin a high intensity workout because it seriously stresses your heart and can kill you if you overdo it.

As a first step I'd buy this book and a heart rate monitor and learn how to use it and what your heart rate zones are.  I'm partial to the heart rate monitors that wrap around your chest and transmit your heart rate to a wrist watch.  Some of the smart watches work but not always as accurately as a chest band transmitter.

Total Heart Rate Training by Joe Friel

The book is geared toward athletes but will work as a good book to learn the concepts from and eventually design your own basic routine as you get more experience and gain back some fitness.

Initially skip the threshold and other diagnostic tests in the book and just wear your monitor all the time and learn what your heart rate is sitting on the couch, walking around the house, walking a little outside and walking fast enough to get winded.  You'll quickly figure out what numbers you want to be at and it will help you control your efforts to avoid going too hard and blowing your wad too fast.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is fitness important or should we neglect it?
View Quote

You should neglect it and spend the money from gym equipment on NVGs and IRADs
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I did the 2020 one and now I live here.
View Quote

I've been there in the winter, hard no.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#43]
I was really looking forward to this, but I’m not going to be able to make it.  

Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Last year was awesome. Unfortunately I can't make it this time. Next time for sure. For those of you thinking about it, if you can make it, go for it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why you hate freedom though?
View Quote

The freedom to freeze to death.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Pshhh. I've never seen it get below -60 at my place.
View Quote

-30 was enough for me.  I didn't understand how to even breathe.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pshhh. I've never seen it get below -60 at my place.

I love southern women and southern culture but you all can keep your gross summer weather where you step out and both humidity and temperature are both 3 digits
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#49]
How did i miss this lol

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I love southern women and southern culture but you all can keep your gross summer weather where you step out and both humidity and temperature are both 3 digits
View Quote

Beach weather.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top