Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2021 2:39:23 PM EDT
Alright boys, got myself an 87 GMC Suburban.  Aside from some weatherstripping and comfort stuff, the first thing to get changed is going to be the front diff.  For whatever reason, GM saw fit to let these escape the factory with 10 bolt fronts.  It gonna get tons.  So as of now, I am thinking CUCV Dana 60 because I won’t even have to weld spring perches.  New 78-79 kingpin ford Dana 60s are damn spendy.  Old ones have gotten real hard to find.

I don’t want anything exotic.  Any other recommendations?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Low pinion sucks.
ETA: Ditch the 12 bolt too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Was that post a question?

The Ford front diff would be on the wrong side anyway wouldn't it? Yes you need a cucv Chevy 60.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was that post a question?

The Ford front diff would be on the wrong side anyway wouldn't it? Yes you need a cucv Chevy 60.
View Quote

Depends on what he wants to do with the case. Stick with a 205 or upgrade. Atlas or flipped 300 would be a good call.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Low pinion sucks.
ETA: Ditch the 12 bolt too.
View Quote

The rear is a 14 bolt semi float.  But yeah, it’s getting ditched too.  But first things first, the 10 bolts gotta go.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Depends on what he wants to do with the case. Stick with a 205 or upgrade. Atlas or flipped 300 would be a good call.
View Quote

208 is what is stock in mine.  An ORD 205 is prolly gonna be the way I go.  Atlas seems like overkill in price and gearing for what I have planned for the rig.  Hadn’t thought about a 300 though.  That’s another option.  

And yeah, I can clock any of the new three t-case options for whichever drop I want.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're not running a front locker 10 bolts hold up well. I sent one ~500 HP on 38s in a K20 and it lived a long life after I took the lock right back out.

With the locker I broke a short side shaft every time I went out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

208 is what is stock in mine.  An ORD 205 is prolly gonna be the way I go.  Atlas seems like overkill in price and gearing for what I have planned for the rig.  Hadn’t thought about a 300 though.  That’s another option.  

And yeah, I can clock any of the new three t-case options for whichever drop I want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are ever up my way, i have a NP 205 stored in the workshop you can have. Nothing wrong with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top