[#1]
so why is lumber so expensive?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much for a bedroom
View Quote

Wood you like for your great great great grandchildren to pay that loan off for you?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:53:53 AM EDT
[#3]
You need wood?
I can get you wood.
Do you need a toe?
I can get you a toe.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:36:47 AM EDT
[#4]
The days of $20 Sheets are long gone lol
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:53:00 AM EDT
[#5]
For my hobby projects all the lumber I’ve bought in the past year is off the cull cart at Home Depot usually for 50-70% off. Yeah, some is a bit chewed up or bent or split, but usually very useable.

An example: $10 for a 5/4x6x16 pressure treated plank (I cut it in half) and a distressed 4x4x8’ Douglas Fir post that had a split I glued up:

This cut up 3/4” mostly oak veneer plywood was free:
makes up more than a 4x8’ piece…

All of the wood in these 2 rolling carts and the drawers (4 ft and 2 ft long) is made of 1/2” and 3/4” plywood and pine planks, I spent about $80 for all of it. The casters were $10/4 off of Woot and Amazon on sale. I got the knobs free. The expensive parts were the US made drawer slides by K&V: $25 a pair…

I go to my HD about 3x or more a week and check out the cull cart, stock up when I can, because I’m cheap. About the only wood I won’t buy is twisted, or moldy. And check out your local Habitat Restore for stuff. Used doors or windows might suit a shed or other project that doesn’t need new A1 parts.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For my hobby projects all the lumber I've bought in the past year is off the cull cart at Home Depot usually for 50-70% off. Yeah, some is a bit chewed up or bent or split, but usually very useable.

An example: $10 for a 5/4x6x16 pressure treated plank (I cut it in half) and a distressed 4x4x8' Douglas Fir post that had a split I glued up:
https://i.imgur.com/WCDhQM3.jpg

This cut up 3/4" mostly oak veneer plywood was free:
makes up more than a 4x8' piece
https://i.imgur.com/h6TrMfO.jpg
All of the wood in these 2 rolling carts and the drawers (4 ft and 2 ft long) is made of 1/2" and 3/4" plywood and pine planks, I spent about $80 for all of it. The casters were $10/4 off of Woot and Amazon on sale. I got the knobs free. The expensive parts were the US made drawer slides by K&V: $25 a pair
https://i.imgur.com/BqBvf1e.jpg

I go to my HD about 3x or more a week and check out the cull cart, stock up when I can, because I'm cheap. About the only wood I won't buy is twisted, or moldy. And check out your local Habitat Restore for stuff. Used doors or windows might suit a shed or other project that doesn't need new A1 parts.

View Quote
Ain't none of that shit in Rural AK.

People tend to hold onto their lumber scraps. Plus all their other shit.

I picked up some free used osb that molded right away plus had fungus growing on it. Trimmed it off and maybe a 1/4 of it was decent.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Most of our lumber comes from Canada, and Canada is not allowing any exports for at least another 1-2 years because of Covid. Our best bet at this point is to invade, and take it.
View Quote

Canadian trees have covid?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top