I apologize for having to post this. I really don't like doing it at all but Kensho's actions have left me no choice.
I was selling my AK-104 at https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/WTS-WTT-NIB-PSA-AK-104-never-fired-with-1-magpul-magazine-SPF-to-Kensho/122-2147019/
Kensho contacted me and asked to be able to take the deal and pay for it by installments . Trying to be reasonable and fair, I accepted his offer and he made timely payments, as agreed upon. We agreed that the shipping price being added to the final payment.
After the second payment I sent Kensho a message saying that my FFL said he wouldn't be able to tell me the shipping price until they were sending it so we could make the shipping payment after the final installment. The text came back green instead of blue, which indicated the number was no longer in use.
A little while later Kensho contacted me from a new number. We discussed the payment for shipping and I said I had to give my FFL the firearm first so they could get me the quote, so we decided that he would pay the shipping balance after the final installment payment for the firearm.
The final installment payment came in on Thursday (30SEP21), at approximately 10:36pm, as expected. I'm generally an early sleeper so I didn't see this until Friday. I informed him on Friday, when saw his text, that I would be out of town until Monday (04OCT21) and would have it shipped on Monday when I returned. He acknowledged this by saying copy.
I finished work on Monday at 2:30pm and headed home to grab the firearm. I sent Kensho a message to confirm his FFL's shipping address. He responded with it and I informed him that I was going to take the firearm to the FFL. To which he acknowledged that he was awaiting the tracking info.
I arrived at my FFL soon after 3pm and handed over the firearm to be shipped and they got it checked in. My FFL informed me that their shipping guy was not available that day and they said they'd be shipping it out sometime in the next two days, meaning Tuesday or Wednesday.
When I informed Kensho of this, he got upset and said he was unhappy with the delays and wanted to cancel the whole deal and have a refund. I informed him that this was not going to happen as I did everything I said I would, but he was having none of it. He kept demanding his money back and I said that wasn't going to happen.
He said I should have gone in to see my FFL in the morning, to which I responded that I started work at 7am and that it was impossible. I advised him again that I was not going to refund him.
Kensho then contacted my FFL, he was very rude to them and tried to get them not to ship the firearm, which was inappropriate as I am my FFL's customer and not him.
I informed Kensho that the firearm would still ship and he said that he wouldn't accept the firearm and would have it shipped back. I told him that it won't be accepted back.
He said he would make a complaint to the moderators here, which I haven't seen yet but I haven't heard back from him and I'm concerned he's going to get his FFL to refuse delivery or will not send the full shipping amount that he will have to pay.
I respectfully request the assistance of moderators on this issue.
I have included screenshots of the conversations below: