Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2020 7:08:17 PM EDT
I was  reading an article and it said the preference for IDPA shooters was striker fired pistols.  Why?  What did those people pick striker fired?    Me and a couple buddies were having a contest in the back yard Saturday and after shooting a couple mags with my SD9, I left and drove home to get my Gold Cup .  I did very good with it.
     I just have too much finger and trigger movement with the SD9.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably because most guys are shooting what they carry and striker fired pistols are the most common carry gun.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks.    I fell in love with Colts when I was 12.  I shot my uncle's  45. He shot at Camp Perry with it.  Many Trophies.

I'm thinking about a Colt Competition 9mm , if anyone has one, how do they like it?     I'm trying to decide between a Gold Cup and it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
thanks.    I fell in love with Colts when I was 12.  I shot my uncle's  45. He shot at Camp Perry with it.  Many Trophies.

I'm thinking about a Colt Competition 9mm , if anyone has one, how do they like it?     I'm trying to decide between a Gold Cup and it.
View Quote

I bought one used for $695. 70 series 9mm.   Had a few issues with it ejecting.  Replaced the dual recoil springs with a single and put in a Wilson extractor and it’s 100% now.  Consensus on the 1911 forum is that they are over sprung with the duals.  The original extractor had a chip knocked out of it.  I somehow missed it when I was looking at the gun at the shop.  Wouldn’t hold an empty case at all.  I could have sent it back to Colt to fix but didn’t want to wait 6 weeks.

Very accurate.  I’m running the one Colt mag that came with it and Mecgar 10 rounders.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The entry cost level is less and one trigger pull...
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks guys. I'm leaning toward the Competition.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I think striker fired guns only dominate Stock Service Pistol. In Enhanced Service Pistol and Compact Carry Pistol, you are much more likely to see something with a hammer.

The dominate production because they are what people already own, they are not very expensive, and they are easy to mod/improve yourself.

I suppose they dominate BUG too with all the Glock 26/27 and small Walthers.

The Colt will put you in Enhanced Service Pistol. You will compete with other 1911 minor shooters and CZ models for the most part.

EDIT: You WILL need a magwell if you want to compete with a 1911 style gun. There are many choices and they can be very easy to install.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think striker fired guns only dominate Stock Service Pistol. In Enhanced Service Pistol and Compact Carry Pistol, you are much more likely to see something with a hammer.

The dominate production because they are what people already own, they are not very expensive, and they are easy to mod/improve yourself.

I suppose they dominate BUG too with all the Glock 26/27 and small Walthers.

The Colt will put you in Enhanced Service Pistol. You will compete with other 1911 minor shooters and CZ models for the most part.

EDIT: You WILL need a magwell if you want to compete with a 1911 style gun. There are many choices and they can be very easy to install.
View Quote

#techwells ftw  but yeah you need some type of magwell at least.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thanks guys. I'm leaning toward the Competition.
View Quote

IDPA or USPSA?

IDPA is ghey, so stop right there.

IF USPSA, I would look at the options.

Minor Ammo: Carry Optics or Production  = One of these pistols

Major Ammo: Limited or Open (almost all are SAO in either 40, 9 major or 38 Super Comp. Shooting Limited minor makes no sense whatsoever (once you understand the game).

All that said, a heavy pistol will help with recoil management.

Welcome to the games!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top