Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2014 7:09:49 PM EDT
I have a Stag 3g with Burris Mtac 1-4x and angle mounted flip up iron sights.  I have 2 ranges I go to:
1) Indoor - 20-25yrd lanes
2) Outdoor - 30yrd, 50yrd and 100yrd lanes

I am brand new.  Never been in an event.  Been spending the last few months ramping up on fundemtals training and gear and just starting to get more targetted in fine tuning.  I figured I'd zero the scope at 100yrds and the angled irons at a closer range (20-25yrds, 30yrds, 50yrds).

- What would you guys recommend for my scope and irons for zero distance?

- At which distance would you suggest I use each?  This is a key question so I can train with each.  I would say for me at this point, offset irons 50yrds and in should be doable, =>100yrds the 4x.  In between 50-100yrds...not sure.  Of course it depends how big the target is.  But, tell me the right thing to do and I'll work on it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
50 yard zero (gives me ~2inch error on 200 yds). Everything in between I don't have to bother adjusting with hold overs. Also, these are the most common shots I use.

I have no issues with 3-4-5 yard shots and use this zero for all 5.56 application.

You say you are using angle mounted flip up irons. How is this set up? I have a JP angle iron sights and these sit very low. From what you are describing, they sound like flip up sights attached at an angle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 11:48:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1EyedFatMan] [#2]
These are using Weaver offset rail mounts front and back with Troy iron sights mounted on them.  The front offset mount is at the end of the Samson Evolution top rail, the back offset mount is between my charging handle and the back of my Larue scope mount.  It doesn't sit real close and tight, but my first set of angle mounts did sit very close to the rail and upper, but I couldn't use them because there just wasn't enough room with the Larue mount, the Burris scope and available rail space.  When not in use, I just fold down the sights and they don't stick out as much.  I tried to try to post a pic, but it doesn't look like I'm setup to do that yet...maybe I can do that tomorrow if more questions.  The below generic pic gives you and idea of the mounts.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I read on one 3-gun site to zero your offset iron sites at 25yrds just for up close shots.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, it should be used like pistol sights for 25yds or less. However, only reason why I ask is that many standard height folding backup sights will sit too high for that purpose.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have a BDC on your scope zero at whatever reason it says, if you don't I say run a 50 yd zero, your highest point on the bullet arc will be 1.5 inches at 125-150 yds. my irons are zeroed at 15 yds. I strictly use my irons up close. My 50 yd gives me a flat trajectory and I don't have to worry about holds until it's getting out to 250+.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top