Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2018 3:35:01 PM EDT
I am wanting to compete in the gas series competition in PRS.  I want to acquire a Wilson AR and am not certain what caliber to get?  I am looking at the  .223 Wylde, 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor and the .308; however, really want your input on what you think is the best long range caliber and reasons for it.  I plan to top it with a Vortex, Viper PST Gen II, 5-25 x 50 FFP, EBR-2C (MOA) Reticle.  My understanding of the new rules is that they will have competition for just the military calibers i.e. .223\5.56 and the .308.  For open competition anything else would really go.  If I am wrong about this please let me know.  Your kind input would greatly be appreciated!
Thanks!
Gary
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds interesting and way more fun. I look forward to reading other comments.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#2]
For PRS a 6.5 Creedmoor is a great starter caliber
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I built an SPR for a recent competition. Wilson Combat matched upper/lower receiver, Wilson 13.8” TRIM keymod rail, White Oak Armament 18” 1:7 SPR barrel, BCM bolt/BCG, and a Larue MBT. It’s a shooter for sure. I’ve only got a Mark4 3.5-10 on it but it works great out to 800 yards with Federal FC262 77gr. There is almost no recoil but the wind can really push that small round at distance.

If you want to build a rifle to compete then 6.5 Creedmoor is a great round. Lots of factory ammo available for it and you can still use all the .308 magazines. Little recoil and does great at 1000 and beyond with the wind. I know .308 can do well at 1000 or 1200 also, but 6.5CM has the higher BC and will “buck” the wind better. The higher weight 6.5 rounds might not run well in your gas gun, though, so you may be shooting the 129s instead if 140 or 147 grain.

You do what you like on the scope but here is my advice. Go with a mil based reticle and turrets. The vast majority of shooters I’ve encountered at matches will be shooting scopes based in milradians and getting wind calls and shot corrections (if they’ll give them) will most likely be called in Mils. If they say “you’re left by .7 Mils” and you are shooting an MOA scope, doing the math in your head with a short stage par time will be more headache than it’s worth. Speak the same language as your fellow shooters.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:17:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALex] [#4]
I’d get either a 6 or a 6.5 for shooting PRS Gas Gun series.

If you don’t mind swapping barrels every year, get the 6. If you want to double down on the barrel life, get the 6.5.

I’ve run a JP LRP 07 in .260 in many Precision rifle matches. It’s a good time, though I don’t believe there should be a separate series for gas guns. Honestly, many of the precision AR’s can keep up with bolt guns’ accuracy.

Why the Wilson over others? I know they’re a nice rifle, just curious what draws you to them over others such as JP, GAP, Spartan Precision, etc...

ETA - personally, I’d stay away from Vortex optics. I’ve seen way too many take a shit (had several of my own go down, not including friends and acquaintances).  If you have PST II money, get a Bushnell DMR II or a Burris XTR II.  Get a reticle with a Christmas tree/Horus-type iteration because many comps (courses of fire) will require you to engage multiple targets at various distances without dialing any of your dope.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FALex:
I’d get either a 6 or a 6.5 for shooting PRS Gas Gun series.

If you don’t mind swapping barrels every year, get the 6. If you want to double down on the barrel life, get the 6.5.

I’ve run a JP LRP 07 in .260 in many Precision rifle matches. It’s a good time, though I don’t believe there should be a separate series for gas guns. Honestly, many of the precision AR’s can keep up with bolt  gun.
View Quote
I have a 6.5Creed bolt rifle getting built as I type this. My custom Kreiger barreled 308 AR10 couldn't keep up at extended ranges.

Last match was limited to 100 shooters, only 4, myself included, shot a gas gun.

I'm going bolt this time, mainly because I got a sweet trade on an action and stock from FALex. Maybe I'll do a 300win mag next, and really stretch those long range skills, or lack thereof.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top