Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2018 9:58:11 PM EDT
On the 21st, I'll be starting my first competitive shooting event.  It's a local steel plate league, we don't have IDPA, USPSA, or 3 gun anywhere near me.  This is put on by a local sportsmens club and not sponsored or affiliated with any organizations.  The basics, as I gather them, are, stages with multiple steel targets at various distances that must be hit within a given time.  Strong and weak hand shooting is included, as well as mag changes.  Mags can only be loaded with 10 rounds (I know, NY).  There are 4 divisions, stock auto, open auto, stock revolver, and open revolver.  Caliber has to be 9mm-44spc.  No magnum or rimfire.  They recommend starting from low ready but starting from the holster is allowed.

I plan to compete in just the stock auto with my G19 for now, maybe go into the stock revolver with my S&W model 10 if I like it.

Looking for any and all advice on starting into these type of events, tips, etc.  I'm doing this for fun and to improve my skills, so I don't much care how I score, I'm sure I'll be dead last at first and hopefully work my way up over the summer.  I would love to do a 3gun competition but the nearest one to me is Rochester, 4 hours away.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Go, have fun, talk to other shooters and learn as you go. Good luck and be safe!
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't be afraid to talk to people and ask questions. Unless they're turds, they'll put you in the middle of a group - watch those in front of you and see how they go through each stage, watch those after you and compare.

Main point is to have fun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Leave your gear in your car when you get there. Ask where the safe table is and ask about any basic gun handling rules. Gear up at the safe table, make sure they have a new shooter's meeting.

Never load your gun until the safety officer tells you to.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Leave your gear in your car when you get there. Ask where the safe table is and ask about any basic gun handling rules. Gear up at the safe table, make sure they have a new shooter's meeting.

Never load your gun until the safety officer tells you to.
View Quote
This.

Also, go in with the goal of not being last.

Don't shoot faster than you can acquire your sight picture. Make each and every shot count.

I would start from low ready.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I've made every night of the league so far.  Wife is ready to pop with our twins so I'm not sure how many more I'll get to, but, it's been a blast.  I've definitely improved, and improved my gear.  I'm definitely not the best, but I'd venture to say I'm near the top most nights.  I'm consistently improving my times and having fun, not much more to ask.  If I can figure it out, I'll post a video my buddy shot of my going through one of our stages last week.

Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty clean shooting.

Good luck with those twins.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Very good for a new shooter.

Practice your reloads and transitions for your biggest improvement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top